|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hattie want to go instead of staying home while her parents are at Nana and Papa's dinner party?
2. What does Leila say when Hattie tells her that she doesn't have any more money to ride the Ferris Wheel?
3. What does Adam see when he bursts into Angel's room?
4. With all the people out looking for him, where is Adam eventually found?
5. Hattie tells her parents that it bothers her that they don't talk about ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hattie think that she was not a good friend to Leila?
2. What traumatic experience does Adam have at the boardinghouse when he bursts into Angel's room?
3. How is Adam restrained at the carnival and what reason does Hattie give to Dad about not asking permission for Adam to go to the carnival?
4. Why did Hattie have good intentions in wanting to take Adam to the carnival and what does she come to realize about her methods?
5. What perspective does Leila give Hattie about sideshow performers?
6. How does Hattie effectively point out the bad manners of a family which stares at Adam at the Fourth of July festival?
7. How does Hattie feel about Cookie and in what way does Cookie not understand Hattie?
8. Describe Adam's day at the carnival with Hattie and Leila.
9. What does Hattie learn about her family that shows that they don't really talk to each other?
10. Why are Hattie and Angel frightened by Adam's demeanor one day when he sees Angel getting out of her boyfriend's car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Ann M. Martin's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mom. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Nana. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)