|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Hattie's family different from other families attending the festival?
2. How does Leila get her education?
3. Why does Hattie not go into the sideshow when she goes to the carnival another day?
4. At the funeral, Hattie says that being called a freak and other names _____________________.
5. Which ride does Adam want to watch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adam react on the Ferris Wheel ride?
2. What traumatic experience does Adam have at the boardinghouse when he bursts into Angel's room?
3. Describe Adam's day at the carnival with Hattie and Leila.
4. Who is Leila and how does Hattie meet her?
5. What does Hattie think about Adam's thoughts on her "corner of the universe"?
6. What perspective does Leila give Hattie about sideshow performers?
7. Who are the Strowskys, and how does Hattie meet them?
8. How does Adam disrupt lunch by abusing the buzzer and creating a scene?
9. Why is Adam chastised at Hattie's birthday party at Nana's house?
10. How does Hattie effectively point out the bad manners of a family which stares at Adam at the Fourth of July festival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Adam. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of tolerance. Identify at least two instances about tolerance in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mom. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)