|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color dress does Hattie wear to Adam's funeral?
2. How does Nana summon Ermaline when Nana is seated in the dining room?
3. Which of the following does Leila NOT tell Hattie about why Leila's mother's job does not bother her?
4. What does Cookie want to see at the carnival?
5. What does Hattie do when during lunch a family nearby stares at Adam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hattie think about Adam's thoughts on her "corner of the universe"?
2. What does Hattie think about the sideshow acts when she has actually seen them?
3. What does Hattie learn about her family that shows that they don't really talk to each other?
4. What plans does Hattie make for the night of her Nana and Papa's dinner party?
5. How does Hattie include Adam in the plans for the evening of Nana and Papa's dinner party?
6. What are the obvious and not so obvious reasons Adam may have killed himself?
7. How does Adam react on the Ferris Wheel ride?
8. How does Hattie feel about Cookie and in what way does Cookie not understand Hattie?
9. Who are the Strowskys, and how does Hattie meet them?
10. What is Mom's explanation when Hattie asks why she never had any other children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Hattie Owen. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. How does it come up in the story? What is the meaning for Hattie?
Essay Topic 3
Intolerance takes on an almost human persona in this book. What role does intolerance play in the lives of the characters? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)