|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Papa chastise Adam during dessert?
2. What does Adam tell Nana on the phone?
3. Adam tells Hattie to give him any date and he can tell her _______________________.
4. What part of her house does Hattie hate?
5. What is the time period for the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three rules of the Owen family's boardinghouse?
2. What is Hattie doing at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. Hattie refuses to go with Betsy's family on their Maine vacations--what is more enjoyable for her during the Summers?
4. How long has it been since Adam has seen Hattie and how does he greet her?
5. What are Hattie's first impressions of Adam?
6. Explain why Adam has a difficult time maintaining his composure during dinner.
7. Why does Nana have the perspective that she does regarding her daughter's family?
8. What surprises Hattie about Adam's first visit to their home for a while?
9. Why does Nana think that her daughter "married beneath her"?
10. What does Hattie mean when she says she hates her porch and what is Adam's perspective on her feelings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Intolerance takes on an almost human persona in this book. What role does intolerance play in the lives of the characters? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of responsibility. Identify at least two instances about responsibility in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of tolerance. Identify at least two instances about tolerance in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)