|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hattie says that Adam talks so fast that _______________________.
2. How old is Miss Hagerty?
3. What is Angel's last name?
4. Why does Adam arrive at the boardinghouse at around five o'clock the next day?
5. What type of business does Papa own?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Betsy McGruder, and why does Hattie go to her house on this morning?
2. Why does Nana think that her daughter "married beneath her"?
3. Why is Hattie so immediately drawn to Adam?
4. How do Nancy and Janet make Adam want to cry?
5. What is Hattie doing at the beginning of Chapter 5?
6. What grandmotherly figures does Hattie have in her life?
7. What are Hattie's first impressions of Adam?
8. What does Nana want Hattie to be like but Hattie continues to resist?
9. Why does Hattie decide not to ask Nana to take her to the movies?
10. What is Dad's job, and what is he currently creating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of responsibility. Identify at least two instances about responsibility in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of tolerance. Identify at least two instances about tolerance in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Intolerance takes on an almost human persona in this book. What role does intolerance play in the lives of the characters? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)