|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many framed photos sit on Miss Hagerty's dresser?
2. Who is the servant who passes the food in the dining room?
3. At what event does Hattie make Adam smile in the film?
4. What does Nana lack in taking care of Adam?
5. How old was Hattie when Adam last saw her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hattie's reaction when she learns that Adam committed suicide?
2. What plans does Hattie make for the night of her Nana and Papa's dinner party?
3. Why are Hattie and Angel frightened by Adam's demeanor one day when he sees Angel getting out of her boyfriend's car?
4. What does Hattie think about the sideshow acts when she has actually seen them?
5. Why does Hattie decide not to ask Nana to take her to the movies?
6. How does Hattie include Adam in the plans for the evening of Nana and Papa's dinner party?
7. Why does Nana have the perspective that she does regarding her daughter's family?
8. Why is Hattie so immediately drawn to Adam?
9. Why is Adam chastised at Hattie's birthday party at Nana's house?
10. What is Hattie doing at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Does the author leave the story on a hopeful note for Hattie? Even though Hattie is sad about losing Adam, who else brings some joy into her life? Does the author hope to show that Hattie's life is going to be filling up with more friends? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "A Corner of the Universe"? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
This section contains 1,665 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)