|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adam do when he meets Hattie?
2. What is Papa's last name?
3. What is the name of the town where Hattie lives?
4. Who is the cook for the boardinghouse?
5. Which character in the home movie refuses to look at the camera or smile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Hattie about Adam's first visit to their home for a while?
2. Why did Hattie have good intentions in wanting to take Adam to the carnival and what does she come to realize about her methods?
3. How does Hattie feel about Cookie and in what way does Cookie not understand Hattie?
4. What conflict does Hattie have with Adam and Leila's birthday party plans for her and why does Nana eventually agree to let the party proceed?
5. Why are Hattie and Angel frightened by Adam's demeanor one day when he sees Angel getting out of her boyfriend's car?
6. What does Hattie think about the sideshow acts when she learns that a carnival is coming to town?
7. What grandmotherly figures does Hattie have in her life?
8. Why is Adam chastised at Hattie's birthday party at Nana's house?
9. Why does Nana have the perspective that she does regarding her daughter's family?
10. Explain why Adam has a difficult time maintaining his composure during dinner.
Essay Topic 1
"A Corner of the Universe" is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mom. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dad. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 1,762 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)