|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character in the home movie refuses to look at the camera or smile?
2. What does Adam whisper to Hattie as they go into the dining room for dinner.
3. What is Adam's relationship to Hattie?
4. What does Adam tell Nana on the phone?
5. What does Nancy call Adam when she sees him on the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some possible reasons that Adam had virtually disappeared from the family for so many years?
2. What become?s evident about Nana's relationship with Adam and why does Adam's presence make her unhappy
3. Why does Dad's being an artist put a strain on Hattie's relationship with Nana?
4. How long has it been since Adam has seen Hattie and how does he greet her?
5. What are Hattie's first impressions of Adam?
6. What are the three rules of the Owen family's boardinghouse?
7. Why does Nana think that her daughter "married beneath her"?
8. What is Hattie doing at the beginning of Chapter 5?
9. Why is Hattie so immediately drawn to Adam?
10. What is Dad's job, and what is he currently creating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of tolerance. Identify at least two instances about tolerance in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Hattie Owen. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dad. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)