|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hattie notices a _______________ about Adam's features that she can't explain.
2. Adam and Hattie equate their feelings of not belonging as being __________________.
3. What is Papa's last name?
4. The cook compliments Hattie by telling her that she is __________________.
5. What does Hattie do when Adam decides to go home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dad's being an artist put a strain on Hattie's relationship with Nana?
2. Why do Hattie and Adam equate themselves to being aliens?
3. What are Hattie's first impressions of Adam?
4. How does Adam's recollection of Hattie's birthday serve as foreshadowing in the story?
5. In what ways does Hattie feel more like Adam's babysitter than his niece?
6. What become?s evident about Nana's relationship with Adam and why does Adam's presence make her unhappy
7. What is Hattie Owen doing as the story begins?
8. What are the three rules of the Owen family's boardinghouse?
9. What is Hattie doing at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. What morning task does Hattie complete every morning during Summer vacation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"A Corner of the Universe" is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
"A Corner of the Universe" is a classic example of realistic fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the lives of Hattie and Betsy. How are their circumstances similar? In what ways are their lives different? What draws them together to make them friends?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)