Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT someone who Hattie sees in the home movie?
2. Who is the servant who passes the food in the dining room?
3. Why does Adam return to the boardinghouse later that day?
4. Adam recalls that Hattie's birthday is ____________________.
5. Nana calls Adam's gift of days and dates __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Nancy and Janet make Adam want to cry?
2. What does Hattie learn about her family that shows that they don't really talk to each other?
3. Why does Hattie decide not to ask Nana to take her to the movies?
4. Who are the Strowskys, and how does Hattie meet them?
5. What become?s evident about Nana's relationship with Adam and why does Adam's presence make her unhappy
6. Hattie refuses to go with Betsy's family on their Maine vacations--what is more enjoyable for her during the Summers?
7. Why is Hattie so immediately drawn to Adam?
8. What morning task does Hattie complete every morning during Summer vacation?
9. What does Hattie mean when she says she hates her porch and what is Adam's perspective on her feelings?
10. Who is Betsy McGruder, and why does Hattie go to her house on this morning?
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book, and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Intolerance takes on an almost human persona in this book. What role does intolerance play in the lives of the characters? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
"A Corner of the Universe" is a classic example of realistic fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)