|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nancy call Adam when she sees him on the street?
2. Where does Hattie's paternal grandmother live?
3. Adam recalls that Hattie's birthday is ____________________.
4. How does Angel treat Adam when she meets him?
5. What does Hattie call her maternal grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some possible reasons that Adam had virtually disappeared from the family for so many years?
2. What is Hattie doing at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. How does Adam's recollection of Hattie's birthday serve as foreshadowing in the story?
4. What does Hattie mean when she says she hates her porch and what is Adam's perspective on her feelings?
5. Why does Hattie decide not to ask Nana to take her to the movies?
6. What grandmotherly figures does Hattie have in her life?
7. What morning task does Hattie complete every morning during Summer vacation?
8. Why does Nana have the perspective that she does regarding her daughter's family?
9. Which three residents live in the Owens' boardinghouse, and how are they introduced to the story?
10. What is Hattie Owen doing as the story begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book, and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
"A Corner of the Universe" is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "A Corner of the Universe"? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)