|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The cook compliments Hattie by telling her that she is __________________.
2. Nana calls Adam's gift of days and dates __________________.
3. Hattie's mother says that Hattie should be more ________________.
4. Why does Nana not want Adam to share his curious ability?
5. What is the Summer evening tradition at the boardinghouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Hattie and Adam equate themselves to being aliens?
2. Why is Hattie so immediately drawn to Adam?
3. Why does Dad's being an artist put a strain on Hattie's relationship with Nana?
4. Why does Hattie decide not to ask Nana to take her to the movies?
5. What ominous statement does Hattie overhear Nana saying when Hattie gets home?
6. How does Adam's recollection of Hattie's birthday serve as foreshadowing in the story?
7. Which three residents live in the Owens' boardinghouse, and how are they introduced to the story?
8. Hattie refuses to go with Betsy's family on their Maine vacations--what is more enjoyable for her during the Summers?
9. What are Hattie's first impressions of Adam?
10. Explain why Adam has a difficult time maintaining his composure during dinner.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "A Corner of the Universe"? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Ann M. Martin's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the lives of Hattie and Betsy. How are their circumstances similar? In what ways are their lives different? What draws them together to make them friends?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)