|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hattie thinks that Adam looks like ______________.
2. Nana calls Adam's gift of days and dates __________________.
3. Why does Hattie wake so early on the first day of Summer vacation?
4. Where does Hattie look to try to find more information about Adam?
5. What is Hattie's first job of the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hattie so immediately drawn to Adam?
2. What is Hattie Owen doing as the story begins?
3. Who is Adam and how does Hattie find out about him?
4. Explain why Adam has a difficult time maintaining his composure during dinner.
5. Why does Hattie decide not to ask Nana to take her to the movies?
6. Which three residents live in the Owens' boardinghouse, and how are they introduced to the story?
7. What morning task does Hattie complete every morning during Summer vacation?
8. Why does Nana have the perspective that she does regarding her daughter's family?
9. What does Hattie mean when she says "before Adam" or "after Adam"?
10. Why do Hattie and Adam equate themselves to being aliens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of responsibility. Identify at least two instances about responsibility in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
"A Corner of the Universe" is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book, and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)