|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Adam doing when Hattie first meets him?
2. Which character in the home movie refuses to look at the camera or smile?
3. What is Papa wearing in the home movie?
4. What drink does Adam always get?
5. Where does Hattie's paternal grandmother live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adam react on the Ferris Wheel ride?
2. Why does Hattie decide not to ask Nana to take her to the movies?
3. After seeing Nancy and Janet laughing at Adam dancing at the bandstand, what burning question enters Hattie's head about his illness?
4. What is Dad's job, and what is he currently creating?
5. What does Hattie think about Adam's thoughts on her "corner of the universe"?
6. Why do Hattie and Adam equate themselves to being aliens?
7. How does Hattie show empathy when she decides not to view the sideshows at the carnival again?
8. What are Hattie's first impressions of Adam?
9. What does Hattie think about the sideshow acts when she learns that a carnival is coming to town?
10. What is Hattie Owen doing as the story begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Adam. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mom. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Ann M. Martin's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
This section contains 1,702 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)