|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What social function does Nana suggest that Hattie attend?
2. Why is Hattie especially drawn to Adam?
3. What type of business does Papa own?
4. Adam tells Hattie that she is the type of person who can _______________________.
5. What does Hattie call her maternal grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What become?s evident about Nana's relationship with Adam and why does Adam's presence make her unhappy
2. Why does Nana think that her daughter "married beneath her"?
3. What are Hattie's first impressions of Adam?
4. Who is Betsy McGruder, and why does Hattie go to her house on this morning?
5. What are the three rules of the Owen family's boardinghouse?
6. What is Dad's job, and what is he currently creating?
7. What secret ability does Adam have that he shares with Hattie?
8. Who is Adam and how does Hattie find out about him?
9. What does Adam do with his drink at dinner that makes Nana chastise him?
10. Why does Nana have the perspective that she does regarding her daughter's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in "A Corner of the Universe". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Adam. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
"A Corner of the Universe" is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)