Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT someone who Hattie sees in the home movie?
2. Who is the servant who passes the food in the dining room?
3. Why does Adam return to the boardinghouse later that day?
4. Adam recalls that Hattie's birthday is ____________________.
5. Nana calls Adam's gift of days and dates __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Nancy and Janet make Adam want to cry?
2. What does Hattie learn about her family that shows that they don't really talk to each other?
3. Why does Hattie decide not to ask Nana to take her to the movies?
4. Who are the Strowskys, and how does Hattie meet them?
5. What become?s evident about Nana's relationship with Adam and why does Adam's presence make her unhappy
6. Hattie refuses to go with Betsy's family on their Maine vacations--what is more enjoyable for her during the Summers?
7. Why is Hattie so immediately drawn to Adam?
8. What morning task does Hattie complete every morning during Summer vacation?
9. What does Hattie mean when she says she hates her porch and what is Adam's perspective on her feelings?
10. Who is Betsy McGruder, and why does Hattie go to her house on this morning?
Essay Topic 1
"A Corner of the Universe" is a classic example of realistic fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Ann M. Martin is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)