|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT someone who Hattie sees in the home movie?
2. Adam and Hattie equate their feelings of not belonging as being __________________.
3. How old was Hattie when Adam last saw her?
4. Why does Adam return to the boardinghouse later that day?
5. What is Papa wearing in the home movie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some possible reasons that Adam had virtually disappeared from the family for so many years?
2. How do Nancy and Janet make Adam want to cry?
3. Why does Hattie decide not to ask Nana to take her to the movies?
4. What is Hattie Owen doing as the story begins?
5. What does Adam do with his drink at dinner that makes Nana chastise him?
6. Why do Hattie and Adam equate themselves to being aliens?
7. Which three residents live in the Owens' boardinghouse, and how are they introduced to the story?
8. How long has it been since Adam has seen Hattie and how does he greet her?
9. What secret ability does Adam have that he shares with Hattie?
10. What are Hattie's first impressions of Adam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Hattie learns in the book? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Hattie always recall about the Summer she spent with Adam? What impact did Adam have on Hattie's life? What would Hattie consider to be her best decision?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "A Corner of the Universe"? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of responsibility. Identify at least two instances about responsibility in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)