|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has come for lunch at the Owen home?
2. What is Hattie's father's job?
3. How many framed photos sit on Miss Hagerty's dresser?
4. What is Adam's favorite television show?
5. What business do Hattie's parents run?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adam do with his drink at dinner that makes Nana chastise him?
2. What secret ability does Adam have that he shares with Hattie?
3. Which three residents live in the Owens' boardinghouse, and how are they introduced to the story?
4. What surprises Hattie about Adam's first visit to their home for a while?
5. Hattie refuses to go with Betsy's family on their Maine vacations--what is more enjoyable for her during the Summers?
6. Who is Betsy McGruder, and why does Hattie go to her house on this morning?
7. What are Hattie's first impressions of Adam?
8. What grandmotherly figures does Hattie have in her life?
9. How do Nancy and Janet make Adam want to cry?
10. Who is Adam and how does Hattie find out about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the author leave the story on a hopeful note for Hattie? Even though Hattie is sad about losing Adam, who else brings some joy into her life? Does the author hope to show that Hattie's life is going to be filling up with more friends? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "A Corner of the Universe"? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of responsibility. Identify at least two instances about responsibility in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)