|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprise information does Hattie's mother tell her?
2. Where does Hattie's Uncle Hayden live?
3. Where does the girl in #32 spend her Summers?
4. Why does Hattie wake so early on the first day of Summer vacation?
5. What type of project is Hattie's father working on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adam mean when he says that Hattie is the kind of person who can "lift the corner of the universe"?
2. What are the three rules of the Owen family's boardinghouse?
3. Why do Hattie and Adam equate themselves to being aliens?
4. What does Hattie mean when she says "before Adam" or "after Adam"?
5. Why did Hattie have good intentions in wanting to take Adam to the carnival and what does she come to realize about her methods?
6. What plans does Hattie make for the night of her Nana and Papa's dinner party?
7. What is Dad's job, and what is he currently creating?
8. Hattie refuses to go with Betsy's family on their Maine vacations--what is more enjoyable for her during the Summers?
9. Why is Adam chastised at Hattie's birthday party at Nana's house?
10. What are Hattie's first impressions of Adam?
Essay Topic 1
"A Corner of the Universe" is a classic example of realistic fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Hattie learns in the book? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Hattie always recall about the Summer she spent with Adam? What impact did Adam have on Hattie's life? What would Hattie consider to be her best decision?
Essay Topic 3
Does the author leave the story on a hopeful note for Hattie? Even though Hattie is sad about losing Adam, who else brings some joy into her life? Does the author hope to show that Hattie's life is going to be filling up with more friends? Explain.
This section contains 1,718 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)