|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie consider to be the turning point of her life last Summer?
2. Why does Adam arrive at the boardinghouse at around five o'clock the next day?
3. Who is the servant who passes the food in the dining room?
4. What is the Summer evening tradition at the boardinghouse?
5. What does Hattie call her paternal grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nana think that her daughter "married beneath her"?
2. Who is Betsy McGruder, and why does Hattie go to her house on this morning?
3. Why do Hattie and Adam equate themselves to being aliens?
4. What is Hattie Owen doing as the story begins?
5. What secret ability does Adam have that he shares with Hattie?
6. What does Adam do with his drink at dinner that makes Nana chastise him?
7. Which three residents live in the Owens' boardinghouse, and how are they introduced to the story?
8. What surprises Hattie about Adam's first visit to their home for a while?
9. How long has it been since Adam has seen Hattie and how does he greet her?
10. What morning task does Hattie complete every morning during Summer vacation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "A Corner of the Universe"? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mom. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)