|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie call her maternal grandmother?
2. What is Papa's last name?
3. What is the name of Hattie's father's current project?
4. Who owns Clayton's Yarn Shop?
5. Adam and Hattie equate their feelings of not belonging as being __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hattie mean when she says she hates her porch and what is Adam's perspective on her feelings?
2. What morning task does Hattie complete every morning during Summer vacation?
3. Why does Hattie decide not to ask Nana to take her to the movies?
4. What does Nana want Hattie to be like but Hattie continues to resist?
5. Why do Hattie and Adam equate themselves to being aliens?
6. Hattie refuses to go with Betsy's family on their Maine vacations--what is more enjoyable for her during the Summers?
7. Why does Nana think that her daughter "married beneath her"?
8. Why is Hattie so immediately drawn to Adam?
9. Explain why Adam has a difficult time maintaining his composure during dinner.
10. What is Dad's job, and what is he currently creating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the lives of Hattie and Betsy. How are their circumstances similar? In what ways are their lives different? What draws them together to make them friends?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in "A Corner of the Universe". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of tolerance. Identify at least two instances about tolerance in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)