|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adam tell Nana on the phone?
2. Hattie notices a _______________ about Adam's features that she can't explain.
3. Adam tells Hattie that she is the type of person who can _______________________.
4. What surprise information does Hattie's mother tell her?
5. What is Adam's relationship to Hattie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hattie refuses to go with Betsy's family on their Maine vacations--what is more enjoyable for her during the Summers?
2. What secret ability does Adam have that he shares with Hattie?
3. Why does Dad's being an artist put a strain on Hattie's relationship with Nana?
4. What is Dad's job, and what is he currently creating?
5. What become?s evident about Nana's relationship with Adam and why does Adam's presence make her unhappy
6. What are some possible reasons that Adam had virtually disappeared from the family for so many years?
7. Which three residents live in the Owens' boardinghouse, and how are they introduced to the story?
8. What are Hattie's first impressions of Adam?
9. Why does Nana think that her daughter "married beneath her"?
10. What does Adam do with his drink at dinner that makes Nana chastise him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Ann M. Martin's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Adam. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of tolerance. Identify at least two instances about tolerance in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)