|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Adam intrigued by at the boardinghouse?
2. Why is Hattie especially drawn to Adam?
3. Hattie thinks that Adam looks like ______________.
4. Why does Adam return to the boardinghouse later that day?
5. What is Adam's favorite television show?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Adam has a difficult time maintaining his composure during dinner.
2. Which three residents live in the Owens' boardinghouse, and how are they introduced to the story?
3. Why does Hattie decide not to ask Nana to take her to the movies?
4. In what ways does Hattie feel more like Adam's babysitter than his niece?
5. What does Hattie mean when she says "before Adam" or "after Adam"?
6. What become?s evident about Nana's relationship with Adam and why does Adam's presence make her unhappy
7. Why is Hattie so immediately drawn to Adam?
8. What are some possible reasons that Adam had virtually disappeared from the family for so many years?
9. What is Hattie doing at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. Why do Hattie and Adam equate themselves to being aliens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the author leave the story on a hopeful note for Hattie? Even though Hattie is sad about losing Adam, who else brings some joy into her life? Does the author hope to show that Hattie's life is going to be filling up with more friends? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mom. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Hattie learns in the book? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Hattie always recall about the Summer she spent with Adam? What impact did Adam have on Hattie's life? What would Hattie consider to be her best decision?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)