|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miss Hagerty not come downstairs for breakfast?
2. What surprise information does Hattie's mother tell her?
3. How does Adam react to what Nancy calls him?
4. What drink does Adam always get?
5. What is Hattie doing as the story begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adam's recollection of Hattie's birthday serve as foreshadowing in the story?
2. Why does Nana think that her daughter "married beneath her"?
3. What does Adam do with his drink at dinner that makes Nana chastise him?
4. How do Nancy and Janet make Adam want to cry?
5. Why do Hattie and Adam equate themselves to being aliens?
6. Who is Adam and how does Hattie find out about him?
7. In what ways does Hattie feel more like Adam's babysitter than his niece?
8. What is Hattie Owen doing as the story begins?
9. Which three residents live in the Owens' boardinghouse, and how are they introduced to the story?
10. What ominous statement does Hattie overhear Nana saying when Hattie gets home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in "A Corner of the Universe". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
"A Corner of the Universe" is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)