|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hattie first meet Adam?
2. What is Hattie doing as the story begins?
3. What does Nana lack in taking care of Adam?
4. How old was Hattie when Adam last saw her?
5. Where does the girl in #32 spend her Summers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hattie decide not to ask Nana to take her to the movies?
2. What are Hattie's first impressions of Adam?
3. What secret ability does Adam have that he shares with Hattie?
4. What conflict does Hattie have with Adam and Leila's birthday party plans for her and why does Nana eventually agree to let the party proceed?
5. What are the three rules of the Owen family's boardinghouse?
6. How does Hattie show empathy when she decides not to view the sideshows at the carnival again?
7. How does Adam react on the Ferris Wheel ride?
8. What are the obvious and not so obvious reasons Adam may have killed himself?
9. What does Nana want Hattie to be like but Hattie continues to resist?
10. What is Dad's job, and what is he currently creating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Ann M. Martin's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mom. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dad. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 1,716 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)