|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Adam sad when Nancy and Janet run away?
2. What does Hattie do in the home movie that makes Adam laugh?
3. Why does Hattie's father say that they never told her about Adam?
4. Who owns Clayton's Yarn Shop?
5. Why do Nana and Papa bring Adam to the boardinghouse on Sunday morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What become?s evident about Nana's relationship with Adam and why does Adam's presence make her unhappy
2. What is Hattie doing at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. What is Hattie Owen doing as the story begins?
4. Why do Hattie and Adam equate themselves to being aliens?
5. What ominous statement does Hattie overhear Nana saying when Hattie gets home?
6. Why does Dad's being an artist put a strain on Hattie's relationship with Nana?
7. What grandmotherly figures does Hattie have in her life?
8. What does Hattie mean when she says "before Adam" or "after Adam"?
9. Why does Nana have the perspective that she does regarding her daughter's family?
10. In what ways does Hattie feel more like Adam's babysitter than his niece?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"A Corner of the Universe" is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Ann M. Martin is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Intolerance takes on an almost human persona in this book. What role does intolerance play in the lives of the characters? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)