|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what event does Hattie make Adam smile in the film?
2. Adam and Hattie equate their feelings of not belonging as being __________________.
3. Whose picture is in the frames on Miss Hagerty's dresser?
4. What does Nancy call Adam when she sees him on the street?
5. What drink does Adam always get?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hattie decide not to ask Nana to take her to the movies?
2. What is Dad's job, and what is he currently creating?
3. What are some possible reasons that Adam had virtually disappeared from the family for so many years?
4. What are the three rules of the Owen family's boardinghouse?
5. Who is Adam and how does Hattie find out about him?
6. Why does Dad's being an artist put a strain on Hattie's relationship with Nana?
7. What secret ability does Adam have that he shares with Hattie?
8. Hattie refuses to go with Betsy's family on their Maine vacations--what is more enjoyable for her during the Summers?
9. What become?s evident about Nana's relationship with Adam and why does Adam's presence make her unhappy
10. How do Nancy and Janet make Adam want to cry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Hattie Owen. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Intolerance takes on an almost human persona in this book. What role does intolerance play in the lives of the characters? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. How does it come up in the story? What is the meaning for Hattie?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)