|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has come for lunch at the Owen home?
2. Why is Adam sad when Nancy and Janet run away?
3. How old is Miss Hagerty?
4. Where does Hattie's Uncle Hayden live?
5. What is Hattie's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adam do with his drink at dinner that makes Nana chastise him?
2. What ominous statement does Hattie overhear Nana saying when Hattie gets home?
3. What is Hattie Owen doing as the story begins?
4. How does Adam's recollection of Hattie's birthday serve as foreshadowing in the story?
5. Why do Hattie and Adam equate themselves to being aliens?
6. What become?s evident about Nana's relationship with Adam and why does Adam's presence make her unhappy
7. Why does Dad's being an artist put a strain on Hattie's relationship with Nana?
8. What secret ability does Adam have that he shares with Hattie?
9. What morning task does Hattie complete every morning during Summer vacation?
10. What surprises Hattie about Adam's first visit to their home for a while?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Hattie learns in the book? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Hattie always recall about the Summer she spent with Adam? What impact did Adam have on Hattie's life? What would Hattie consider to be her best decision?
Essay Topic 2
"A Corner of the Universe" is a classic example of realistic fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Does the author leave the story on a hopeful note for Hattie? Even though Hattie is sad about losing Adam, who else brings some joy into her life? Does the author hope to show that Hattie's life is going to be filling up with more friends? Explain.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)