|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hattie's Uncle Hayden live?
2. How does Angel treat Adam when she meets him?
3. What does Hattie call her maternal grandmother?
4. Why does Adam return to the boardinghouse later that day?
5. Who is Adam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hattie mean when she says she hates her porch and what is Adam's perspective on her feelings?
2. What does Adam mean when he says that Hattie is the kind of person who can "lift the corner of the universe"?
3. Why is Hattie so immediately drawn to Adam?
4. What morning task does Hattie complete every morning during Summer vacation?
5. How long has it been since Adam has seen Hattie and how does he greet her?
6. In what ways does Hattie feel more like Adam's babysitter than his niece?
7. How does Adam's recollection of Hattie's birthday serve as foreshadowing in the story?
8. What is Hattie Owen doing as the story begins?
9. What are some possible reasons that Adam had virtually disappeared from the family for so many years?
10. Why does Nana have the perspective that she does regarding her daughter's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the author leave the story on a hopeful note for Hattie? Even though Hattie is sad about losing Adam, who else brings some joy into her life? Does the author hope to show that Hattie's life is going to be filling up with more friends? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of tolerance. Identify at least two instances about tolerance in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)