|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hattie decide not to invite Adam to go to the carnival?
(a) She knows he is taking a nap.
(b) She would be too embarrassed.
(c) She learns that he is at the carnival already.
(d) She isn't sure she can manage him.
2. What happens when the Ferris Wheel has a mechanical problem and Hattie, Leila and Adam are stuck near the top?
(a) Adam calls out to people on the ground.
(b) Adam cries and wets his pants.
(c) Adam rocks the car violently.
(d) Adam tries to climb out of the seat.
3. At the funeral, Hattie says that being called a freak and other names _____________________.
(a) was something Adam was used to.
(b) never really bothered Adam.
(c) made it hard to be Adam.
(d) drove Adam to kill himself.
4. What is Mom's answer when Hattie asks her why they never had any more children after Hattie?
(a) Because she was unable to get pregnant again.
(b) Because Mom had a nervous breakdown.
(c) Because they could only afford one.
(d) Because Hattie was perfect.
5. The man who owns the carnival is the _____________ of the girl in #105.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the girl who has just moved into the boardinghouse?
2. Which of the following does Leila NOT tell Hattie about why Leila's mother's job does not bother her?
3. Why does Hattie usually dislike events like the one in #129?
4. How does Leila get her education?
5. How does Adam's death affect Papa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Adam's day at the carnival with Hattie and Leila.
2. What perspective does Leila give Hattie about sideshow performers?
3. What does Hattie think about the sideshow acts when she has actually seen them?
4. How is Adam restrained at the carnival and what reason does Hattie give to Dad about not asking permission for Adam to go to the carnival?
5. Why did Hattie have good intentions in wanting to take Adam to the carnival and what does she come to realize about her methods?
6. What traumatic experience does Adam have at the boardinghouse when he bursts into Angel's room?
7. After seeing Nancy and Janet laughing at Adam dancing at the bandstand, what burning question enters Hattie's head about his illness?
8. Who are the Strowskys, and how does Hattie meet them?
9. What conflict does Hattie have with Adam and Leila's birthday party plans for her and why does Nana eventually agree to let the party proceed?
10. What is Mom's explanation when Hattie asks why she never had any other children?
This section contains 1,354 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)