|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT someone who becomes the trio of good friends?
2. Why does Nana chastise Adam at Hattie's family birthday party?
(a) He eats all the nuts.
(b) He grabs the rose off the cake.
(c) He puts his hand in the punch bowl.
(d) He pops some of the balloons.
3. How does Adam's death affect Papa?
(a) He cannot go to work.
(b) He cries at work.
(c) He cannot sleep.
(d) He walks the streets at night.
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the acts featured at the carnival?
(a) Pretzel Woman.
(b) Ape Man.
(c) Man of a Thousand Tattoos.
(d) Bearded Lady.
5. What happens when the Ferris Wheel has a mechanical problem and Hattie, Leila and Adam are stuck near the top?
(a) Adam tries to climb out of the seat.
(b) Adam rocks the car violently.
(c) Adam calls out to people on the ground.
(d) Adam cries and wets his pants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mom say that she did not visit Adam too much?
2. Why does Nana order Adam to leave the dining room?
3. Why does Nana chastise Adam during dinner?
4. Why does Hattie not go into the sideshow when she goes to the carnival another day?
5. At the funeral, Hattie says that being called a freak and other names _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the obvious and not so obvious reasons Adam may have killed himself?
2. Who are the Strowskys, and how does Hattie meet them?
3. What conflict does Hattie have with Adam and Leila's birthday party plans for her and why does Nana eventually agree to let the party proceed?
4. What plans does Hattie make for the night of her Nana and Papa's dinner party?
5. Why is Adam chastised at Hattie's birthday party at Nana's house?
6. What does Hattie explain about the ways friends can come into your life?
7. How does Hattie feel about Cookie and in what way does Cookie not understand Hattie?
8. What does Hattie think about Adam's thoughts on her "corner of the universe"?
9. What does Hattie learn about her family that shows that they don't really talk to each other?
10. How does Hattie include Adam in the plans for the evening of Nana and Papa's dinner party?
This section contains 1,391 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)