|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the funeral, Hattie says that being called a freak and other names _____________________.
(a) made it hard to be Adam.
(b) was something Adam was used to.
(c) never really bothered Adam.
(d) drove Adam to kill himself.
2. What does Hattie eventually realize about Adam's hysterics at the carnival?
(a) She should have factored in his erratic behavior from the past.
(b) She brings out the worst in him.
(c) She wanted to push the limits of what Adam could take.
(d) She knew his frantic behavior was a possibility.
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the acts featured at the carnival?
(a) Man of a Thousand Tattoos.
(b) Ape Man.
(c) Pretzel Woman.
(d) Bearded Lady.
4. What does Adam give Hattie on her birthday?
(a) A pencil.
(b) A ribbon.
(c) A book.
(d) A small wooden box.
5. How is Hattie's family different from other families attending the festival?
(a) They are selected to ride in the parade.
(b) They eat off real plates instead of paper ones.
(c) They paid for the fireworks display.
(d) They own the park where the celebration takes place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie wonder about Adam's condition?
2. What happens when the Ferris Wheel is fixed and Hattie, Leila and Adam are safely on the ground?
3. What does Cookie want to see at the carnival?
4. What does Nana blame for Hattie's behavior in not asking permission to take Adam to the carnival?
5. Adam wins a ______________ at the carnival but Nana takes it away from him.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hattie think about the sideshow acts when she learns that a carnival is coming to town?
2. What does Hattie think about Adam's thoughts on her "corner of the universe"?
3. What does Hattie learn about her family that shows that they don't really talk to each other?
4. How does Hattie show empathy when she decides not to view the sideshows at the carnival again?
5. Who are the Strowskys, and how does Hattie meet them?
6. What does Hattie explain about the ways friends can come into your life?
7. Describe Adam's day at the carnival with Hattie and Leila.
8. What conflict does Hattie have with Adam and Leila's birthday party plans for her and why does Nana eventually agree to let the party proceed?
9. How does Hattie effectively point out the bad manners of a family which stares at Adam at the Fourth of July festival?
10. How is Adam restrained at the carnival and what reason does Hattie give to Dad about not asking permission for Adam to go to the carnival?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)