|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cookie want to see at the carnival?
(a) Sideshow performers.
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the acts featured at the carnival?
(a) Bearded Lady.
(b) Ape Man.
(c) Man of a Thousand Tattoos.
(d) Pretzel Woman.
3. How does Hattie know that Adam has not been to the carnival yet?
(a) Leila says she would like to meet him.
(b) He calls and leaves a message for her.
(c) Nana calls to ask if she will take him.
(d) Angel says she turned down his invitation to go.
4. What does Hattie do when during lunch a family nearby stares at Adam?
(a) Hattie talks to the mother.
(b) Hattie berates the family for having bad manners.
(c) Hattie stares at the mother.
(d) Hattie moves Adam to another picnic table.
5. Why does Hattie not go into the sideshow when she goes to the carnival another day?
(a) Because she has to get home in time for dinner.
(b) Because she does not have the money.
(c) Because she remembers Nancy calling Adam a freak.
(d) Because she is afraid to go in alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adam say he is planning with Leila?
2. How does Adam's death affect Papa?
3. What does Hattie wonder about Adam's condition?
4. What ride does Adam want to ride that night at the carnival?
5. How did the husband of the woman in #149 die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict does Hattie have with Adam and Leila's birthday party plans for her and why does Nana eventually agree to let the party proceed?
2. What perspective does Leila give Hattie about sideshow performers?
3. How does Hattie show empathy when she decides not to view the sideshows at the carnival again?
4. How does Hattie include Adam in the plans for the evening of Nana and Papa's dinner party?
5. After seeing Nancy and Janet laughing at Adam dancing at the bandstand, what burning question enters Hattie's head about his illness?
6. How does Adam disrupt lunch by abusing the buzzer and creating a scene?
7. How does Adam react on the Ferris Wheel ride?
8. Who is Leila and how does Hattie meet her?
9. What does Hattie learn about her family that shows that they don't really talk to each other?
10. Why does Hattie think that she was not a good friend to Leila?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)