|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nana ask Hattie to help her do one day?
(a) Clean out Adam's room.
(b) Plant geraniums.
(c) Polish the silver.
(d) Plan a party.
2. Why does Hattie agree to sneak out of the house during Nana and Papa's dinner party?
(a) To go to the movies.
(b) To go to the carnival.
(c) To go to the ice cream store.
(d) To go swimming.
3. How did the husband of the woman in #149 die?
(a) Gunshot wound.
(b) Heart attack.
(c) Car accident.
4. At the funeral, Hattie says that being called a freak and other names _____________________.
(a) made it hard to be Adam.
(b) never really bothered Adam.
(c) was something Adam was used to.
(d) drove Adam to kill himself.
5. Why does Nana chastise Adam at Hattie's family birthday party?
(a) He eats all the nuts.
(b) He puts his hand in the punch bowl.
(c) He pops some of the balloons.
(d) He grabs the rose off the cake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Adam not eat the dessert the rest of the family is having?
2. Why does Mom say that she did not visit Adam too much?
3. New boarders in the boardinghouse are Barbara _____________ and her two children.
4. Who is Mom's brother?
5. What is the name of the town where Hattie lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hattie think about the sideshow acts when she learns that a carnival is coming to town?
2. How does Hattie include Adam in the plans for the evening of Nana and Papa's dinner party?
3. What is Hattie's reaction when she learns that Adam committed suicide?
4. Why is Adam chastised at Hattie's birthday party at Nana's house?
5. How does Hattie effectively point out the bad manners of a family which stares at Adam at the Fourth of July festival?
6. What does Hattie explain about the ways friends can come into your life?
7. Who are the Strowskys, and how does Hattie meet them?
8. How is Adam restrained at the carnival and what reason does Hattie give to Dad about not asking permission for Adam to go to the carnival?
9. What traumatic experience does Adam have at the boardinghouse when he bursts into Angel's room?
10. What perspective does Leila give Hattie about sideshow performers?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)