|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hattie admit to herself about Leila?
(a) She is glad she has moved on with the carnival.
(b) She wasn't a very good friend to her.
(c) She was just using her to get free rides.
(d) She was kinder to Adam than she was.
2. Which of the following is NOT someone who becomes the trio of good friends?
3. What does Leila say when Hattie tells her that she doesn't have any more money to ride the Ferris Wheel?
(a) She should come on half price day.
(b) She can ride after the carnival closes tonight.
(c) She will give her the money.
(d) She can ride for free.
4. How often do Nana and Papa give a dinner party?
(a) Every other year.
(b) Every month.
(c) Twice a year.
(d) Every week.
5. How does Hattie feel after viewing the sideshows?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dad want to know from Hattie when he and Papa arrive at the carnival?
2. Why does Nana chastise Adam during dinner?
3. What job does the Ferris Wheel girl's mother have?
4. With all the people out looking for him, where is Adam eventually found?
5. Who is the girl who has just moved into the boardinghouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hattie's reaction when she learns that Adam committed suicide?
2. Who is Leila and how does Hattie meet her?
3. What is Mom's explanation when Hattie asks why she never had any other children?
4. What are the obvious and not so obvious reasons Adam may have killed himself?
5. How does Hattie include Adam in the plans for the evening of Nana and Papa's dinner party?
6. What does Hattie think about Adam's thoughts on her "corner of the universe"?
7. Why does Hattie think that she was not a good friend to Leila?
8. After seeing Nancy and Janet laughing at Adam dancing at the bandstand, what burning question enters Hattie's head about his illness?
9. What does Hattie think about the sideshow acts when she has actually seen them?
10. How does Hattie show empathy when she decides not to view the sideshows at the carnival again?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)