|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mom's answer when Hattie asks her why they never had any more children after Hattie?
(a) Because they could only afford one.
(b) Because she was unable to get pregnant again.
(c) Because Mom had a nervous breakdown.
(d) Because Hattie was perfect.
2. Why do Hattie and Mom go to Nana's house in Chapter 14?
(a) For a formal tea.
(b) For a girl's lunch.
(c) For a Garden Club meeting.
(d) For a book club meeting.
3. Where does Hattie ask if she can take Adam when Adam realizes that Angel is not home one day?
(a) To the ice cream shop.
(b) To the amusement park.
(c) To the carnival.
(d) To the movies.
4. Where does Hattie say she is going as she leaves Nana's house?
(a) The ice cream shop.
(b) The movies.
(c) The swimming pond.
(d) The carnival.
5. Why does Nana chastise Adam at Hattie's family birthday party?
(a) He pops some of the balloons.
(b) He eats all the nuts.
(c) He grabs the rose off the cake.
(d) He puts his hand in the punch bowl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leila say when Hattie tells her that she doesn't have any more money to ride the Ferris Wheel?
2. What does Hattie tell Nana the day before Adam's funeral?
3. What does Adam yell when he is dancing near the bandstand?
4. What is the name of the town where Hattie lives?
5. What startles Hattie when she heads home and sees Nana and Papa's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What perspective does Leila give Hattie about sideshow performers?
2. How does Hattie feel about Cookie and in what way does Cookie not understand Hattie?
3. How is Adam restrained at the carnival and what reason does Hattie give to Dad about not asking permission for Adam to go to the carnival?
4. What does Hattie explain about the ways friends can come into your life?
5. Who are the Strowskys, and how does Hattie meet them?
6. Why did Hattie have good intentions in wanting to take Adam to the carnival and what does she come to realize about her methods?
7. Why is Adam chastised at Hattie's birthday party at Nana's house?
8. How does Adam disrupt lunch by abusing the buzzer and creating a scene?
9. Why are Hattie and Angel frightened by Adam's demeanor one day when he sees Angel getting out of her boyfriend's car?
10. How does Hattie show empathy when she decides not to view the sideshows at the carnival again?
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)