|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Adam's presence in her life so difficult for Nana?
(a) She is too old to care for him.
(b) He is not her birth child.
(c) She feels guilty for his disability.
(d) He can't conform.
2. How many framed photos sit on Miss Hagerty's dresser?
3. What does Hattie call her maternal grandmother?
4. Adam and Hattie equate their feelings of not belonging as being __________________.
5. The cook compliments Hattie by telling her that she is __________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Papa's last name?
2. What is the time period for the story?
3. When Adam eats too fast at dinner, Nana tells him to _____________________.
4. Adam asks Mr. Penny about his _____________ shop which is now closed.
5. Who owns Clayton's Yarn Shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nana want Hattie to be like but Hattie continues to resist?
2. Which three residents live in the Owens' boardinghouse, and how are they introduced to the story?
3. Why does Hattie decide not to ask Nana to take her to the movies?
4. In what ways does Hattie feel more like Adam's babysitter than his niece?
5. Why is Hattie so immediately drawn to Adam?
6. How does Adam's recollection of Hattie's birthday serve as foreshadowing in the story?
7. What does Hattie mean when she says she hates her porch and what is Adam's perspective on her feelings?
8. How long has it been since Adam has seen Hattie and how does he greet her?
9. Why does Nana have the perspective that she does regarding her daughter's family?
10. Who is Adam and how does Hattie find out about him?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)