|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dad want to know from Hattie when he and Papa arrive at the carnival?
(a) Why she took money from his wallet.
(b) Why she didn't finish the dinner dishes.
(c) Why she didn't get permission for Adam to go to the carnival.
(d) Why she never told him about Leila.
2. How did the husband of the woman in #149 die?
(a) Car accident.
(b) Heart attack.
(d) Gunshot wound.
3. What does Hattie do when during lunch a family nearby stares at Adam?
(a) Hattie moves Adam to another picnic table.
(b) Hattie berates the family for having bad manners.
(c) Hattie talks to the mother.
(d) Hattie stares at the mother.
4. What house rule did Angel violate?
(a) She didn't clean up the kitchen.
(b) She played her stereo too loud.
(c) She didn't pay her rent.
(d) She had her boyfriend in her room.
5. Which of the following does Leila NOT tell Hattie about why Leila's mother's job does not bother her?
(a) Sideshow people wear costumew.
(b) It is all she has ever known.
(c) Sideshow people wear a lot of make-up.
(d) Carnival entertainers have honed a talent.
6. New boarders in the boardinghouse are Barbara _____________ and her two children.
7. Why does Mom say that she did not visit Adam too much?
(a) Because it would upset him.
(b) Because he never recognized her.
(c) Because it was too far to travel.
(d) Because she had a business to run.
8. Why does Hattie not go into the sideshow when she goes to the carnival another day?
(a) Because she has to get home in time for dinner.
(b) Because she remembers Nancy calling Adam a freak.
(c) Because she does not have the money.
(d) Because she is afraid to go in alone.
9. Which of the following is NOT someone who becomes the trio of good friends?
10. What does Nana blame for Hattie's behavior in not asking permission to take Adam to the carnival?
11. What grade will Hattie be entering next year?
12. Why does Hattie think her parents never had more children?
(a) They were afraid something would go wrong.
(b) Money was too tight to have more than one.
(c) They always wanted an only child.
(d) They would be cut out of Nana's will if they had more.
13. What does Nana ask Hattie to help her do one day?
(a) Plan a party.
(b) Clean out Adam's room.
(c) Plant geraniums.
(d) Polish the silver.
14. What color dress does Hattie wear to Adam's funeral?
15. How does Hattie feel after viewing the sideshows?
Short Answer Questions
1. Hattie shows Nana ___________________ that Adam made.
2. What happens when the Ferris Wheel has a mechanical problem and Hattie, Leila and Adam are stuck near the top?
3. What do Hattie, Mom and Dad ride as their last ride of the night?
4. Where does Hattie say she is going as she leaves Nana's house?
5. What is Mom's answer when Hattie asks her why they never had any more children after Hattie?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)