Chapters 1 through 4
• As the story opens, Hattie Owen is in her parents' boardinghouse watching home movies.
• Hattie says that she turned twelve the previous Summer, and that she will always look at that Summer as a turning point in her life because of Adam.
• The movie captures images of Angel Valentine, Mr. Penny and Miss Hagerty, boarders with the Owen family.
• Also in the movie are Hattie's maternal grandparents, Nana and Papa, who are joined by Adam who refuses to look at the camera or smile.
• Chapter 1 begins a flashback to last Summer and Hattie's first day of Summer vacation.
• Hattie is up early and takes a breakfast tray to Miss Hagerty who is over eighty but does not want anyone else to see her without make-up.
• The cook for the boardinghouse, Cookie, arrives and compliments Hattie on being so industrious.
• Hattie says that Miss Hagerty is just...
This section contains 2,370 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)