|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ignatius want to confound?
2. What color scarf does Ignatius wear?
3. What does Myrna say will open Ignatius' valve?
4. What does Ignatius cutlass make him feel like?
5. Where does Ignatius consider hiding out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is set in New Orleans.
1) What meaning does New Orleans bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in New Orleans?
2) How different do you think today's New Orleans is to the New Orleans in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's New Orleans?
3) How do you think the setting contributes to the novel's humor?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Ignatius examine the way Toole uses the other characters in the story. Does she use him or her for dramatic effect or comic aside? When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at Toole's only other book, Tthe Neon Bible. What is it about? What themes does it share with A Confederacy of Dunces? Does it have a similar writing style? Does it have a similar structure?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)