|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What program does Ignatius watch on television?
2. What does Santa think that Irene needs?
3. To what song does Darlene dance?
4. What item of Dorian's clothing does Ignatius ruin?
5. What does Clyde want Ignatius to wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dr. Talc's reaction to seeing the newspaper article?
2. What do Dorian and his friends think of Mancuso?
3. Summarize the final chapter.
4. Summarize Chapter 8.
5. Why is Gus looking forward to escaping to Florida?
6. What characters does Ignatius think have caused his downfall?
7. What does Ignatius hope his new political party will achieve?
8. What does Ignatius write in his Social Note journal in chapter nine?
9. In what way has Mancuso benefited from the raid at the Night and Day bar?
10. Describe Dorian and Ignatius' fight.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at Toole's only other book, Tthe Neon Bible. What is it about? What themes does it share with A Confederacy of Dunces? Does it have a similar writing style? Does it have a similar structure?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the effect of stereotyping. Why do the students think people stereotype? What are the negative effects of stereotyping? Are their any positive effects? In what way does Toole bypass stereotyping in A Confederacy of Dunces.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "A Confederacy of Dunces is about nothing and, as such, has nothing of any importance to say about 1960's America." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)