|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mancuso is dressed as _______.
2. What does Myrna say will open Ignatius' valve?
3. Who does Ignatius fear will testify against him?
4. Which character has Ignatius blackmailed?
5. Where does Ignatius consider hiding out?
Essay Topic 1
Examine Toole's humor. What meaning does it give to the novel? What would the story be like without humor? Does it have any dramatic impact? Does the humor cover any deficiencies, for example, in the plot structure?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set in New Orleans.
1) What meaning does New Orleans bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in New Orleans?
2) How different do you think today's New Orleans is to the New Orleans in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's New Orleans?
3) How do you think the setting contributes to the novel's humor?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Toole's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Claude and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Toole provide the reader with information about that character?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)