|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters chained Timmy to the wall?
2. From whom has Ignatius had complaints?
3. Whose ineptitude does Ignatius criticize?
4. What does Santa want to do with Ignatius?
5. How much does the hospital want before they will discharge Ignatius?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the front page of the newspaper in Chapter 13.
2. What does Ignatius write in his Social Note journal in chapter nine?
3. What characters does Ignatius think have caused his downfall?
4. How do the characters react to Claude's aggression towards Mancuso in Chapter 8?
5. Summarize Chapter 9.
6. What do Dorian and his friends think of Mancuso?
7. What is Ignatius' opinion on psychiatry?
8. What does Ignatius hope his new political party will achieve?
9. Why is Gus looking forward to escaping to Florida?
10. Describe Dorian and Ignatius' fight.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Ignatius examine the way Toole uses the other characters in the story. Does she use him or her for dramatic effect or comic aside? When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do the share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
With the students, discuss the use of dialect in novels. What difference does dialect make? Do the students think there are times that dialect does not work?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)