|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which earlier character approaches Ignatius' hot dog stand?
2. Who does Mancuso say tipped to look under the bar?
3. Who does Ignatius want to confound?
4. Whose picture does Santa kiss?
5. What will Mancuso happy now that he is a hero?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way has Mancuso benefited from the raid at the Night and Day bar?
2. What is Dr. Talc's reaction to seeing the newspaper article?
3. What complaints does Clyde have about Ignatius' work in Chapter 9?
4. Describe Jones' idea for Darlene's act.
5. Summarize Chapter 8.
6. What characters does Ignatius think have caused his downfall?
7. Why does Ignatius think the Ladies' Auxiliary will be an important addition to his movement?
8. How does Ignatius react to Myrna's presence?
9. How does Irene react to Claude's kindness towards her?
10. What does Myrna write in her letter in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Toole's writing style. How would you describe Toole's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Toole's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Toole's humor. What meaning does it give to the novel? What would the story be like without humor? Does it have any dramatic impact? Does the humor cover any deficiencies, for example, in the plot structure?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Ignatius examine the way Toole uses the other characters in the story. Does she use him or her for dramatic effect or comic aside? When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)