|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What party does Myrna say she is prepared to join?
2. What does Ignatius say he would have preferred to rent?
3. Who would Jones like to find?
4. What does Clyde want Ignatius to wear?
5. What does Trixie think Zalatimo looks like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gus looking forward to escaping to Florida?
2. What does Myrna say in her letter in Chapter 12?
3. What complaints does Clyde have about Ignatius' work in Chapter 9?
4. Why do Claude and Santa think Irene should put Ignatius in a charity hospital?
5. Summarize Chapter 9.
6. What does Ignatius hope his new political party will achieve?
7. What do Dorian and his friends think of Mancuso?
8. What does Ignatius write in his Social Note journal in chapter nine?
9. What is Clyde's reaction to seeing the newspaper article?
10. Summarize Chapter 8.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With the students, discuss the use of dialect in novels. What difference does dialect make? Do the students think there are times that dialect does not work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Toole's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Ignatius examine the way Toole uses the other characters in the story. Does she use him or her for dramatic effect or comic aside? When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)