|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Mancuso happy now that he is a hero?
2. Where does Ignatius want to release his natural impulses?
3. To what name did Gus once want Levy Pants to be changed?
4. What are the names of the three tough women?
5. What program does Ignatius watch on television?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dorain say about his life and family in Chapter 12?
2. Describe the front page of the newspaper in Chapter 13.
3. Summarize Chapter 8.
4. Describe Dorian and Ignatius' fight.
5. What complaints does Clyde have about Ignatius' work in Chapter 9?
6. What is Dr. Talc's reaction to seeing the newspaper article?
7. Why does Ignatius think the Ladies' Auxiliary will be an important addition to his movement?
8. What does Ignatius hope his new political party will achieve?
9. How does Annie react to the newspaper article?
10. What does Myrna write in her letter in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Toole use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Look at Communism in the sixties. What were people's views on Communism? Was there a Communist party in America? Was there any Communist literature? How was communism presented in the arts? Why was it represented in this way? Has this representation affected the way people think about Communism today?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set in New Orleans.
1) What meaning does New Orleans bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in New Orleans?
2) How different do you think today's New Orleans is to the New Orleans in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's New Orleans?
3) How do you think the setting contributes to the novel's humor?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)