|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does Myrna drive?
2. Who knocks at the door?
3. What does Ignatius say he would have preferred to rent?
4. Which earlier character approaches Ignatius' hot dog stand?
5. Who do Dorian and Ignatius find chained to a wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jones' idea for Darlene's act.
2. What is Clyde's reaction to seeing the newspaper article?
3. How does Annie react to the newspaper article?
4. In what way has Mancuso benefited from the raid at the Night and Day bar?
5. Why does Ignatius refuse to talk to priests?
6. Why does Ignatius want to create a political party centered around old sodomites?
7. Summarize Chapter 8.
8. What is Ignatius' opinion on psychiatry?
9. What does Ignatius write in his Social Note journal in chapter nine?
10. Summarize Chapter 9.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With the students, discuss the use of dialect in novels. What difference does dialect make? Do the students think there are times that dialect does not work?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Toole's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Claude and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Toole provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 3
A Confederacy of Dunces is written in the third person. Why do you think Toole chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the first person?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)