|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ignatius consider hiding out?
2. With what does Ignatius threaten his mother?
3. Who does Ignatius fear will testify against him?
4. What name does Ignatius use to sign off in his journal?
5. What does Mrs Levy do to Trixie when she threatens to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the front page of the newspaper in Chapter 13.
2. Why is Gus looking forward to escaping to Florida?
3. What is Ignatius' opinion on psychiatry?
4. What characters does Ignatius think have caused his downfall?
5. Why does Ignatius want to create a political party centered around old sodomites?
6. Why does Ignatius refuse to talk to priests?
7. Why does Claude not want to see Mancuso?
8. How do the characters react to Claude's aggression towards Mancuso in Chapter 8?
9. Describe Jones' idea for Darlene's act.
10. What is Clyde's reaction to seeing the newspaper article?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toole lived in New Orleans with his mother, adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Toole knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Toole does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of New York as Ignatius' promised land. In what way was New York different to New Orleans in the 1960's? What can Ignatius find in New York that he could not get at home?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Toole use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)