|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ignatius in this chapter when he gets angry?
2. To whom is Jones too frightened to talk?
3. Dorian's sweater is made from ___________.
4. What does Dorian say Ignatius looks like?
5. What does Mrs. Levy plan to establish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ignatius write in his Social Note journal in chapter nine?
2. What is Clyde's reaction to seeing the newspaper article?
3. What does Ignatius hope his new political party will achieve?
4. What do Dorian and his friends think of Mancuso?
5. Summarize Chapter 8.
6. What is Ignatius' opinion on psychiatry?
7. How does Annie react to the newspaper article?
8. Why does Claude not want to see Mancuso?
9. Describe Dorian and Ignatius' fight.
10. How does Irene react to Claude's kindness towards her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Toole's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Claude and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Toole provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
Toole lived in New Orleans with his mother, adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Toole knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Toole does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "A Confederacy of Dunces is about nothing and, as such, has nothing of any importance to say about 1960's America." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)