|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Ignatius suggest Dorain should run off?
2. What is affecting Ignatius' valve in this chapter?
3. What does Santa think that Irene needs?
4. For how much is Abelman suing Levy Pants?
5. To what song does Darlene dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Irene react to Claude's kindness towards her?
2. What does Ignatius hope his new political party will achieve?
3. Describe the front page of the newspaper in Chapter 13.
4. What is Clyde's reaction to seeing the newspaper article?
5. What characters does Ignatius think have caused his downfall?
6. Describe Dorian and Ignatius' fight.
7. Summarize Chapter 8.
8. Why does Ignatius want to create a political party centered around old sodomites?
9. What is Dr. Talc's reaction to seeing the newspaper article?
10. Why does Ignatius refuse to talk to priests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Toole's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Claude and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Toole provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set in New Orleans.
1) What meaning does New Orleans bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in New Orleans?
2) How different do you think today's New Orleans is to the New Orleans in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's New Orleans?
3) How do you think the setting contributes to the novel's humor?
Essay Topic 3
Toole lived in New Orleans with his mother, adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Toole knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Toole does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)