|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the three tough women?
2. What is affecting Ignatius' valve in this chapter?
3. Who does George want to visit on the coast?
4. What does Dorian say Ignatius looks like?
5. What does Mancuso read about in the bathroom stall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Chapter 9.
2. What does Ignatius hope his new political party will achieve?
3. What is Dr. Talc's reaction to seeing the newspaper article?
4. Why do Claude and Santa think Irene should put Ignatius in a charity hospital?
5. Describe the front page of the newspaper in Chapter 13.
6. How does Annie react to the newspaper article?
7. Why does Claude not want to see Mancuso?
8. What does Myrna say in her letter in Chapter 12?
9. How do the characters react to Claude's aggression towards Mancuso in Chapter 8?
10. What does Myrna write in her letter in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "A Confederacy of Dunces is about nothing and, as such, has nothing of any importance to say about 1960's America." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
A Confederacy of Dunces is written in the third person. Why do you think Toole chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Toole's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Claude and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Toole provide the reader with information about that character?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)