|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is pictured in the newspaper being loaded into a police car?
2. Who does Ignatius want to put into power with the help of Dorain?
3. What would Ignatius prefer to a psychiatric ward?
4. Whose ineptitude does Ignatius criticize?
5. Who does Ignatius fear will testify against him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characters does Ignatius think have caused his downfall?
2. Why does Claude not want to see Mancuso?
3. How does Irene react to Claude's kindness towards her?
4. What does Ignatius hope his new political party will achieve?
5. Describe the front page of the newspaper in Chapter 13.
6. What does Myrna say in her letter in Chapter 12?
7. What does Myrna write in her letter in Chapter 9?
8. In what way has Mancuso benefited from the raid at the Night and Day bar?
9. Why does Ignatius want to create a political party centered around old sodomites?
10. What does Ignatius write in his Social Note journal in chapter nine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Ignatius examine the way Toole uses the other characters in the story. Does she use him or her for dramatic effect or comic aside? When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "A Confederacy of Dunces is about nothing and, as such, has nothing of any importance to say about 1960's America." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Consolation of Philosophy to the novel. What comparisons can be drawn between A Confederacy of Dunces and the Consolation of Philosophy? Why do they think Ignatius uses Boethius' as a reference point?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)