|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What passes them as they drive away?
2. From what does Mrs. Levy think that Trixie is suffering?
3. Who would Jones like to find?
4. Who do Dorian and Ignatius find chained to a wall?
5. What does Myrna say will open Ignatius' valve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ignatius want to create a political party centered around old sodomites?
2. How does Ignatius react to Myrna's presence?
3. What does Dorain say about his life and family in Chapter 12?
4. What complaints does Clyde have about Ignatius' work in Chapter 9?
5. Describe Dorian and Ignatius' fight.
6. Describe the front page of the newspaper in Chapter 13.
7. Why does Ignatius refuse to talk to priests?
8. Summarize Chapter 9.
9. What do Dorian and his friends think of Mancuso?
10. How does Irene react to Claude's kindness towards her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Toole's writing style. How would you describe Toole's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Toole's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Toole's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Claude and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Toole provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 3
Ignatius has a complicated relationship with his mother. Why is a mother's relationship with her child so important? What kind of emotions has she felt seeing her child grow ? How does a child act if he is spoiled or overprotected by his mother? How has Ignatius' upbringing affected him?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)