|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does George want to visit on the coast?
2. What does Ignatius say he would have preferred to rent?
3. Who does Ignatius fear will get in contact?
4. What are the names of the three tough women?
5. What is affecting Ignatius' valve in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gus looking forward to escaping to Florida?
2. Describe Dorian and Ignatius' fight.
3. What does Ignatius write in his Social Note journal in chapter nine?
4. Why does Ignatius refuse to talk to priests?
5. What is Clyde's reaction to seeing the newspaper article?
6. How do the characters react to Claude's aggression towards Mancuso in Chapter 8?
7. Why does Ignatius think the Ladies' Auxiliary will be an important addition to his movement?
8. What is Ignatius' opinion on psychiatry?
9. How does Ignatius react to Myrna's presence?
10. How does Annie react to the newspaper article?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Toole's writing style. How would you describe Toole's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Toole's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Toole lived in New Orleans with his mother, adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Toole knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Toole does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
With the students, discuss the use of dialect in novels. What difference does dialect make? Do the students think there are times that dialect does not work?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)