|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Ignatius find in his bed?
2. What does Jones say Lana is trying to dress him up like?
3. Which character has Ignatius blackmailed?
4. What is the headline on the newspaper?
5. How much does the hospital want before they will discharge Ignatius?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jones' idea for Darlene's act.
2. Why does Claude not want to see Mancuso?
3. Describe Dorian and Ignatius' fight.
4. What does Myrna write in her letter in Chapter 9?
5. Why does Ignatius think the Ladies' Auxiliary will be an important addition to his movement?
6. In what way has Mancuso benefited from the raid at the Night and Day bar?
7. How do the characters react to Claude's aggression towards Mancuso in Chapter 8?
8. Why does Ignatius want to create a political party centered around old sodomites?
9. What is Ignatius' opinion on psychiatry?
10. What complaints does Clyde have about Ignatius' work in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Ignatius and Myrna.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Toole's writing style. How would you describe Toole's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Toole's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Toole's humor. What meaning does it give to the novel? What would the story be like without humor? Does it have any dramatic impact? Does the humor cover any deficiencies, for example, in the plot structure?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)