|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Myrna ask Ignatius to describe?
2. Who does Ignatius want to put into power with the help of Dorain?
3. Who does Jones Jones say he is looking for?
4. What does Santa want to do with Ignatius?
5. What color scarf does Ignatius wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characters does Ignatius think have caused his downfall?
2. Summarize Chapter 9.
3. What does Myrna write in her letter in Chapter 9?
4. What does Dorain say about his life and family in Chapter 12?
5. Describe the front page of the newspaper in Chapter 13.
6. How do the characters react to Claude's aggression towards Mancuso in Chapter 8?
7. What is Ignatius' opinion on psychiatry?
8. How does Irene react to Claude's kindness towards her?
9. Describe Dorian and Ignatius' fight.
10. In what way has Mancuso benefited from the raid at the Night and Day bar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the Consolation of Philosophy to the novel. What comparisons can be drawn between A Confederacy of Dunces and the Consolation of Philosophy? Why do they think Ignatius uses Boethius' as a reference point?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Toole's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Claude and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Toole provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 3
A Confederacy of Dunces is written in the third person. Why do you think Toole chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the first person?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)