|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times is Santa's mother arrested?
2. Who does Mancuso say tipped to look under the bar?
3. What passes them as they drive away?
4. From what does Mrs. Levy think that Trixie is suffering?
5. What is the headline on the newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the final chapter.
2. Describe the front page of the newspaper in Chapter 13.
3. Why do Claude and Santa think Irene should put Ignatius in a charity hospital?
4. What characters does Ignatius think have caused his downfall?
5. How do the characters react to Claude's aggression towards Mancuso in Chapter 8?
6. What does Dorain say about his life and family in Chapter 12?
7. Why does Ignatius want to create a political party centered around old sodomites?
8. Describe Dorian and Ignatius' fight.
9. Summarize Chapter 9.
10. How does Annie react to the newspaper article?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ignatius has a complicated relationship with his mother. Why is a mother's relationship with her child so important? What kind of emotions has she felt seeing her child grow ? How does a child act if he is spoiled or overprotected by his mother? How has Ignatius' upbringing affected him?
Essay Topic 2
Toole lived in New Orleans with his mother, adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Toole knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Toole does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of New York as Ignatius' promised land. In what way was New York different to New Orleans in the 1960's? What can Ignatius find in New York that he could not get at home?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)