|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sign Ignatius has hung outside say?
2. Who does Mancuso say tipped to look under the bar?
3. Where does Jones fear he will end up?
4. What does Santa say she does every day for her mother?
5. For how much is Abelman suing Levy Pants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the final chapter.
2. What is Clyde's reaction to seeing the newspaper article?
3. Summarize Chapter 9.
4. How do the characters react to Claude's aggression towards Mancuso in Chapter 8?
5. Summarize Chapter 8.
6. What complaints does Clyde have about Ignatius' work in Chapter 9?
7. Why does Ignatius think the Ladies' Auxiliary will be an important addition to his movement?
8. What does Ignatius write in his Social Note journal in chapter nine?
9. What does Myrna write in her letter in Chapter 9?
10. What do Dorian and his friends think of Mancuso?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "A Confederacy of Dunces is about nothing and, as such, has nothing of any importance to say about 1960's America." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Look at Communism in the sixties. What were people's views on Communism? Was there a Communist party in America? Was there any Communist literature? How was communism presented in the arts? Why was it represented in this way? Has this representation affected the way people think about Communism today?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Consolation of Philosophy to the novel. What comparisons can be drawn between A Confederacy of Dunces and the Consolation of Philosophy? Why do they think Ignatius uses Boethius' as a reference point?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)