|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen to Mancuso if he fails?
2. In front of what store is Ignatius standing?
3. How much time does Ignatius spend in college?
4. What is devouring the Abelman's Dry Goods folder?
5. What does Miss Trixie like to hoard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Myrna's letter say in Chapter 7?
2. What does Chapter 1establish about Irene and Ignatius' relationship?
3. Why does Ignatius decide to accept the job at Levy Pants?
4. Why does Ignatius reject the idea of a mortgage?
5. What excuse does Ignatius make for not selling any hot dogs?
6. What kind of impression do you think Ignatius gives to people around him?
7. Summarize Chapter 6.
8. Describe Ignatuis and Irene's car accident.
9. In what way does the porter job advertised in the bar suit both Jones and Lana?
10. How does Jones claim the police treat blacks in New Orleans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toole lived in New Orleans with his mother, adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Toole knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Toole does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Toole's writing style. How would you describe Toole's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Toole's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
A Confederacy of Dunces is written in the third person. Why do you think Toole chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the first person?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)