|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ignatius think the building's owner is hoping someone would crash into it?
2. What did Ignatuis order the workers to bring?
3. On what street is Night of Joy situated?
4. How much does Ignatius raise Gonzales by per day?
5. What does Ignatius refuse to wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ignatius' opinion on the sweatshop factory?
2. Describe Ignatuis and Irene's car accident.
3. Describe Levy Lodge.
4. Describe the outside of Ignatius' and Irene's house?
5. Why does Ignatius claim he goes to the movies?
6. What excuse does Ignatius make for not selling any hot dogs?
7. Describe the staff at Levy Pants.
8. What problems does Jones have about his job as a porter?
9. How has Ignatius tried to bring peace to his house?
10. How does Jones claim the police treat blacks in New Orleans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A Confederacy of Dunces is written in the third person. Why do you think Toole chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Ignatius and Myrna.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set in New Orleans.
1) What meaning does New Orleans bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in New Orleans?
2) How different do you think today's New Orleans is to the New Orleans in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's New Orleans?
3) How do you think the setting contributes to the novel's humor?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)