|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clyde hold at Ignatius' throat?
2. Who does Ignatius say he fell prey to in the Night of Joy bar?
3. What does Irene say her son has done since leaving college?
4. How does Ignatius calm himself down after an argument with George?
5. What is Myrna's native city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of impression do you think Ignatius gives to people around him?
2. How has Ignatius tried to bring peace to his house?
3. In what way does the porter job advertised in the bar suit both Jones and Lana?
4. What does Chapter 1establish about Irene and Ignatius' relationship?
5. Describe Mancuso's lifestyle.
6. What does Myrna's letter say in Chapter 7?
7. How does Ignatius conduct the workers strike?
8. What do Mr. and Mrs. Levy argue about as they watch television?
9. What problems does Jones have about his job as a porter?
10. What does Myrna write in her letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "A Confederacy of Dunces is about nothing and, as such, has nothing of any importance to say about 1960's America." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
With the students, discuss the use of dialect in novels. What difference does dialect make? Do the students think there are times that dialect does not work?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Ignatius examine the way Toole uses the other characters in the story. Does she use him or her for dramatic effect or comic aside? When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)