|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "obbligato" mean?
2. In "Autobiography," the author writes, "I landed in Normandy/in a rowboat that _______."
3. The poet writes of staggering into what kind of sunsets in "Junkman's Obbligato"?
4. In the poem, "Dog," what does the dog see in Chinatown windows?
5. In "The Long Street," it is the street of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is described in "Meet Miss Subways"?
2. What are some of the things the poet is waiting for in "I Am Waiting"?
3. Why does the author describe the poems of Chapter Two as "oral messages"?
4. In "Autobiography," to what animal does the poet compare himself? What has he seen?
5. What is the poet's meaning in "The Long Street"?
6. Describe the dog in the poem, "Dog."
7. How is the place in the ending of "The Long Street" described?
8. What does the author say of money in the poem, "Autobiography"?
9. What are the major points of "Autobiography"?
10. What does the poet suggest to the reader in "Junkman's Obbligato"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the central character in the poem, "Meet Miss Subways." What year does this poem take place? What is the significance of the woman's race? Describe the setting of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of metaphor in the poem, "The Long Street." What two metaphors are used and what do they represent?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the poems of Chapter 2 in comparison to the poems of the rest of the collection. How are these different in style? What are the common themes?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)