|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the "dogs do it" in "Junkman's Obbligato"?
2. Where does the poet suggest sleeping in "Junkman's Obbligato"?
3. In "Autobiography," where is the poet leading a quiet life?
4. In "Autobiography," the author writes, "I landed in Normandy/in a rowboat that _______."
5. Where do the subways stall and wait in "Junkman's Obbligato"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the poem "Autobiography" about?
2. What are the major points of "Autobiography"?
3. How is the place in the ending of "The Long Street" described?
4. Why does the author describe the poems of Chapter Two as "oral messages"?
5. What is admirable to the poet about the dog in "Dog"?
6. What is the underlying meaning of the poem "I Am Waiting"?
7. What does the poet suggest to the reader in "Junkman's Obbligato"?
8. What is the overall theme of the poem "Junkman's Obbligato"? What allusions point to this?
9. Describe the pop culture and literary references the author makes in "Autobiography."
10. Who is described in "Meet Miss Subways"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "materialism" in the poem "Christ Climbed Down." What is the author's point of view in this poem? What imagery is used to support this?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the central character in the poem, "Meet Miss Subways." What year does this poem take place? What is the significance of the woman's race? Describe the setting of the poem.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what the author means in his literary allusion to "Kafka's Castle" in Poem 16 of Chapter One. To what does the "Mystery of Existence" refer? What is the prominent theme of the poem?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)