|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the billiard parlor in "Autobiography"?
2. In the poem, "Dog," what does the dog see in Chinatown windows?
3. Where does "Autobiography" take place?
4. Whom does the poet say he is waiting for them to prove is really an American in "I Am Waiting"?
5. What does "obbligato" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author describe the poems of Chapter Two as "oral messages"?
2. What does the author say of money in the poem, "Autobiography"?
3. What is the poet's meaning in "The Long Street"?
4. How is the street described in "The Long Street"?
5. Describe the dog in the poem, "Dog."
6. What events take place in "Christ Climbed Down"?
7. In "Autobiography," to what animal does the poet compare himself? What has he seen?
8. What does the poet suggest in "Junkman's Obbligato"?
9. Who is described in "Meet Miss Subways"?
10. Describe the train in "Meet Miss Subways." How is this tied to its theme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "materialism" in the poem "Christ Climbed Down." What is the author's point of view in this poem? What imagery is used to support this?
Essay Topic 2
What are the predominant, overriding themes in Chapter Three of the collection. What artistic and literary allusions are used in the poetry of this chapter? How does the artist feel about the references he makes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the animal imagery prominent in Poem 11 of Chapter One. In this poem, the author writes, "The wounded wilderness of Morris Graves / is not the same wild west / the white man found." How does he go one to describe it?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)