|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem 20, what did the leaves cry?
2. In Poem 6, what wouldn't sing where the statue was being erected?
3. In Poem 12, where did he hound the leaded ground?
4. In Poem 5, the guy who shows up late is a kind of what?
5. What is the heart compared to in Poem 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Poem 7 of Chapter One. What literally happens in the poem, and what is the underlying meaning?
2. What is the metaphor for a poet in Poem 15 of Chapter One?
3. What does the poet write about Beauty in Poem 10 of Chapter One?
4. What is the major theme of Poem 29 of Chapter One?
5. Poem 3 of Chapter One describes other visions of America. What are they?
6. What does Chagall do in Poem 14 of Chapter One?
7. What is the statue described as in Poem 6 of Chapter One?
8. What happens in Poem 9 of Chapter One? What does the woman say to him in the poem? What is the mood?
9. What events take place in Poem 18 of Chapter One? How does the poet describe "the dreamer"?
10. Describe the Christ figure in Poem 5 of Chapter One.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of metaphor in the poem, "The Long Street." What two metaphors are used and what do they represent?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what the author means in his literary allusion to "Kafka's Castle" in Poem 16 of Chapter One. To what does the "Mystery of Existence" refer? What is the prominent theme of the poem?
Essay Topic 3
What are the predominant, overriding themes in Chapter Three of the collection. What artistic and literary allusions are used in the poetry of this chapter? How does the artist feel about the references he makes?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)