|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem 3, the poet writes, "its America with its ghost towns and empty ________."
2. In Poem 21, the poet writes that "she" loved to look at flowers and smell fruit. What staggered through her sleep?
3. In Poem 10, the poet writes that beauty never dies, but lies among the aborigines of what?
4. In Poem 16, the poet writes, "Yet away around on the far side like the stage door of a circus tent is a wide wide vent in the _______."
5. In poem 2, where does the poet say "we" were sailing through the streets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Poem 9 of Chapter One? What does the woman say to him in the poem? What is the mood?
2. How is life compared to a circus in Poem 17 of Chapter One?
3. Describe the woman in Poem 21 of Chapter One.
4. What does the poet write about Beauty in Poem 10 of Chapter One?
5. Detail the events which take place in Poem 8, in Golden Gate Park.
6. Describe Goya's paintings as described by the author in Poem 1.
7. Describe Poem 7 of Chapter One. What literally happens in the poem, and what is the underlying meaning?
8. Poem 3 of Chapter One describes other visions of America. What are they?
9. In the eleventh poem of Chapter One, in what way does the author describe the "Wild West"?
10. In Chapter One, where does Poem 20 take place? With what does the poet fall in love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the major themes of the poem "I Am Waiting"? How does the author express the time in which he exists in this poem? How does Ferlinghetti illuminate his political beliefs through the use of symbolism?
Essay Topic 2
Poem 5 of "A Coney Island of the Mind" describes "a kind of carpenter / from some square-type place / like Galilee." Describe the religious imagery and themes of this poem.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structural elements of Poem 24 of the first chapter of the collection. What imagery does the poet use to describe "the beach of love"? How does the poet create the image of waves using line breaks and what is the significance of this?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)