|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman in Poem 9 have that are bad?
2. In Poem 5, in what year does the poet write the Dead Sea Scrolls are found?
3. What kind of two-step does the poet write about in Poem 9?
4. In poem 29, the poet writes of what character from The Sun Also Rises?
5. What is the heart compared to in Poem 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Poem 4 about in Chapter One? What imagery is used?
2. Describe Goya's paintings as described by the author in Poem 1.
3. What does Chagall do in Poem 14 of Chapter One?
4. Poem 3 of Chapter One describes other visions of America. What are they?
5. What happens in Poem 9 of Chapter One? What does the woman say to him in the poem? What is the mood?
6. What is the metaphor for a poet in Poem 15 of Chapter One?
7. What does the poet write about Beauty in Poem 10 of Chapter One?
8. What is the Paradiso in Poem 13 of Chapter One?
9. Describe Poem 7 of Chapter One. What literally happens in the poem, and what is the underlying meaning?
10. Detail the events which take place in Poem 8, in Golden Gate Park.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the major themes of the poem "I Am Waiting"? How does the author express the time in which he exists in this poem? How does Ferlinghetti illuminate his political beliefs through the use of symbolism?
Essay Topic 2
Poem 8 of Chapter One describes a couple on a picnic in Golden Gate Park. What is the mood of this poem? What symbolism does the poet use? How do these reflect its themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "materialism" in the poem "Christ Climbed Down." What is the author's point of view in this poem? What imagery is used to support this?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)