|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem 22, what is Johnny's last name?
2. What is the woman carrying in Poem 8?
3. What painter kept painting, despite his mother's pleas in Poem 14?
4. What park is referred to in Poem 8?
5. In what does the poet write he first fell in love in Poem 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the second poem of Chapter 1 about? What imagery is used?
2. What does Chagall do in Poem 14 of Chapter One?
3. What happens in Poem 9 of Chapter One? What does the woman say to him in the poem? What is the mood?
4. Describe Poem 7 of Chapter One. What literally happens in the poem, and what is the underlying meaning?
5. What is the juxtaposition of setting in Poem 19 of Chapter One? How is memory involved?
6. Describe the woman in Poem 21 of Chapter One.
7. Poem 3 of Chapter One describes other visions of America. What are they?
8. In Chapter One, where does Poem 20 take place? With what does the poet fall in love?
9. What is Poem 4 about in Chapter One? What imagery is used?
10. What events take place in Poem 18 of Chapter One? How does the poet describe "the dreamer"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Poem 29 of Chapter One, the author makes extensive use of literary and pop culture allusions. Describe some of these which were researched during the class. What is their significance to the poem?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the examination of America in the poem "Autobiography." In what ways does the poet describe himself as an American? What does he juxtapose in terms of settings and imagery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the poems of Chapter 2 in comparison to the poems of the rest of the collection. How are these different in style? What are the common themes?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)