|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Poem 24, the poet writes, "We squat upon the beach of love/ among Picasso _____ struck full of sand."
2. With what expression does the woman look at the man in Poem 8?
3. What bird is feeding "on its own breast" in Poem 11?
4. In the fields of "our childhood" of Poem 19, what mixes with rainbows in memory?
5. In Poem 22, what is Johnny's last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the literary allusion in Poem 2?
2. What kind of clowns "always making up imaginary scenes with all our masks for faces" does the poet refer to in Poem 16?
3. The man in Poem 8 is carrying an old beat-up what?
4. Where did the Widder Fogliani have whiskers?
5. In Poem 19, the poet writes, "like every morning with its sharp shadows shadowing a ______."
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Paradiso in Poem 13 of Chapter One?
2. Describe Poem 7 of Chapter One. What literally happens in the poem, and what is the underlying meaning?
3. Poem 3 of Chapter One describes other visions of America. What are they?
4. Describe the woman in Poem 21 of Chapter One.
5. What does the poet write about Beauty in Poem 10 of Chapter One?
6. What is the statue described as in Poem 6 of Chapter One?
7. What events take place in Poem 18 of Chapter One? How does the poet describe "the dreamer"?
8. What is the juxtaposition of setting in Poem 19 of Chapter One? How is memory involved?
9. What is the metaphor for a poet in Poem 15 of Chapter One?
10. In the eleventh poem of Chapter One, in what way does the author describe the "Wild West"?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)