|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Poem 3, the poet writes, "its America with its ghost towns and empty ________."
(a) Mount Rushmore.
(b) Silent plains.
(d) Ellis islands.
2. Where did the Widder Fogliani have whiskers?
(a) On her heart.
(b) On her chin.
(c) On her chest.
(d) On her soul.
3. What park is referred to in Poem 8?
(a) St. Francis.
(c) Golden Gate.
(d) St. Lawrence.
4. In Poem 16, the poet writes, "Yet away around on the far side like the stage door of a circus tent is a wide wide vent in the _______."
5. In Poem 12, what did the painting cry at him?
(a) A song of remorse.
(b) A beautiful ballad of sorrow.
(c) A screech of epiphany.
(d) A terrible bedtime song.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bird is feeding "on its own breast" in Poem 11?
2. In poem 29, the poet writes of what character from The Sun Also Rises?
3. In Poem 4, the poet writes of dead sunflowers and live what?
4. In Poem 6, what wouldn't sing where the statue was being erected?
5. What is the repeated refrain in Poem 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the poet write about Beauty in Poem 10 of Chapter One?
2. What does Chagall do in Poem 14 of Chapter One?
3. What is the second poem of Chapter 1 about? What imagery is used?
4. In the eleventh poem of Chapter One, in what way does the author describe the "Wild West"?
5. What is the metaphor for a poet in Poem 15 of Chapter One?
6. How is life compared to a circus in Poem 17 of Chapter One?
7. What events take place in Poem 18 of Chapter One? How does the poet describe "the dreamer"?
8. What is Poem 4 about in Chapter One? What imagery is used?
9. Describe Goya's paintings as described by the author in Poem 1.
10. What is the Paradiso in Poem 13 of Chapter One?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)