|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In poem 29, the poet writes of what character from The Sun Also Rises?
(a) Robert Cohn.
(b) Brett Parker.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Jackson Stowe.
2. In Poem 20, what did the leaves cry?
(a) Sleep son!
(b) Fall beneath me!
(c) Too soon!
3. What does the poet do with all the old ladies in Poem 18?
(a) Kisses them sleeping.
(b) Makes them young again.
(c) Rouses their confidence.
(d) Wakens their dreams.
4. Whose castle stands above the world like a last bastille in Poem 16?
5. What bird is feeding "on its own breast" in Poem 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem 10, the poet writes that beauty never dies, but lies among the aborigines of what?
2. What does the woman in Poem 9 have that are bad?
3. What do the "falcons of the inner eye" do in Poem 11?
4. What is the literary allusion in Poem 2?
5. Where did the Widder Fogliani have whiskers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the major theme of Poem 29 of Chapter One?
2. In the eleventh poem of Chapter One, in what way does the author describe the "Wild West"?
3. Describe Goya's paintings as described by the author in Poem 1.
4. What is the second poem of Chapter 1 about? What imagery is used?
5. Describe Poem 7 of Chapter One. What literally happens in the poem, and what is the underlying meaning?
6. Poem 3 of Chapter One describes other visions of America. What are they?
7. Detail the events which take place in Poem 8, in Golden Gate Park.
8. Describe the Christ figure in Poem 5 of Chapter One.
9. What is Poem 4 about in Chapter One? What imagery is used?
10. What happens in Poem 9 of Chapter One? What does the woman say to him in the poem? What is the mood?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)