|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Autobiography," who has the poet heard "strained through a sheet"?
2. The poet writes in "I Am Waiting" that he is waiting for God to look to see the Ode to the Confederate Dead as a real what?
3. Besides the Gettysburg address, what other address has the author heard, according to "Autobiography"?
4. In "Meet Miss Subways," what is the year?
5. What will our eyes be watery with the empty bottles of in "Junkman's Obbligato"?
6. How is "sister in the street" wearing her brassiere in "Junkman's Obbligato"?
(a) On the outside of her clothes.
(b) Around her neck.
(d) Upside down.
7. The poets writes in "Junkman's Obbligato," "Let us not wait for ______ / to carry us triumphant / into the interior waving / at the natives."
8. Who does the poet refer to in the lines, "Take up the full beard/of walking anarchy"?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Lord Byron.
9. In "Autobiography," where is the poet leading a quiet life?
(a) Jack's Place.
(b) Mike's Place.
(c) Golden Gate.
(d) The sunset.
10. Where does "Autobiography" take place?
(a) Lower East Broadway.
(c) The Upper East Side.
(d) Jackson Square Park.
11. In "Autobiography," where was the poet when Rome was built?
12. In "I Am Waiting" the poet writes he is waiting to write the great ____ poem.
13. Where does the poet suggest sleeping in "Junkman's Obbligato"?
(d) Phone booths.
14. In what way does the poet repeatedly change a line from the song "America" in ""Junkman's Obbligato"?
(a) Oh say can you sleep.
(b) The stars shining black.
(c) My country lies of thee.
(d) My country tears of thee.
15. The poet writes of staggering into what kind of sunsets in "Junkman's Obbligato"?
(a) West coast.
(b) East River.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem, "Dog," what does the dog see in Chinatown windows?
2. In "I Am Waiting," the poet writes he is waiting for someone to really discover what?
3. In "Junkman's Obbligato," what has not yet toppled from his horse?
4. Where do the "dogs do it" in "Junkman's Obbligato"?
5. In "I Am Waiting," the poet says he is waiting for the Age of what to drop dead?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)