|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the "falcons of the inner eye" do in Poem 11?
(a) Dive and die.
(b) Sing and cry.
(c) Dance and cry.
(d) Scream and die.
2. In what does the poet write he first fell in love in Poem 20?
(a) The dime store.
(b) The arcade.
(c) The penny candy store.
(d) The midnight train.
3. What is the repeated refrain in Poem 27?
(a) Dolce amore.
(b) Dove sta amore.
(c) Il vueno amore.
(d) C'est amore.
4. In Poem 18, how does the poet feel of his own voice and the sound of birds?
5. In Poem 7, the poet writes, "What could she say to the fantastic _____
6. In Poem 1, the author writes that in the paintings of Goya we see the people of the world when "they first attained the title of" what?
(a) Suffering humanity.
(b) Solemn silence.
(c) Brilliant adversity.
(d) Joyous humanity.
7. In Poem 10, the poet writes that beauty never dies, but lies among the aborigines of what?
8. What is the literary allusion in Poem 2?
(b) The Grapes of Wrath.
(c) On the Road.
(d) The Iliad.
9. In poem 29, the poet writes of what character from The Sun Also Rises?
(a) Jackson Stowe.
(b) Robert Cohn.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Brett Parker.
10. In Poem 21, the poet writes that "she" loved to look at flowers and smell fruit. What staggered through her sleep?
(a) Wolves in tiger garb.
(b) Halfass drunken sailors.
(c) Goats among the sheep.
(d) Poets and madmen.
11. With what expression does the woman look at the man in Poem 8?
12. Where did the Widder Fogliani have whiskers?
(a) On her chest.
(b) On her heart.
(c) On her soul.
(d) On her chin.
13. What does the woman in Poem 9 hate?
14. In Poem 27, what tolled twice, once for the birth of love and once for the death?
(a) The clock.
(b) A telephone.
(c) A bell.
(d) A cloche.
15. What park is referred to in Poem 8?
(b) Golden Gate.
(c) St. Francis.
(d) St. Lawrence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Widder Fogliani otherwise known as?
2. What painter kept painting, despite his mother's pleas in Poem 14?
3. What does the poet do with all the old ladies in Poem 18?
4. In Poem 11, the poet writes that "the wounded wilderness of _____ is not the same as the wild west."
5. What are the "patriotic maidens" wearing in Poem 2?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)