|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Poems from Pictures of the Gone World (1955).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the "falcons of the inner eye" do in Poem 11?
(a) Scream and die.
(b) Dive and die.
(c) Sing and cry.
(d) Dance and cry.
2. In Poem 15, what stands and waits to perform her own death-defying leap?
3. What is the woman hanging out to dry in "Poem 1" of "Pictures from the Gone World"?
4. In Poem 27, what tolled twice, once for the birth of love and once for the death?
(a) The clock.
(b) A cloche.
(c) A telephone.
(d) A bell.
5. In Poem 15, what does a poet climb onto of his own making?
(a) A high wire.
(b) A building.
(c) A castle.
(d) A mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Autobiography," where was the poet when Rome was built?
2. In "Poem 9" of "Pictures of the Gone World," what does the poet say are never so real as "oldstyle romances"?
3. Where does the poet write of staggering blind after alleycats in "Junkman's Obbligato"?
4. In "Poem 2" of "Pictures of the Gone World," what "careens along away / on a high / hilltop"?
5. In "Poem 6" of "Pictures of the Gone World," the poet writes that "They say the Spiritual is best conceived in _____ terms."
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)