|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gandhi believed that he should avoid having what type of friends?
2. Who is the most reliable enemy of Fascism?
3. Orwell says that England could not become Germany any more than a turnip seed could grow into what?
4. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
5. Why do the English people support the brutal and discriminatory laws?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Orwell give the municipal employee bread?
2. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi?
3. How has Orwell attempted to make political writing an art form?
4. What are some of the experiences that Orwell remembers about the Spanish Civil War?
5. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
6. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
7. What does the inside of the whale represent to Orwell?
8. What is included in boys' weeklies?
9. What does the Italian militiaman symbolize for Orwell?
10. What is the difference between patriotism and national loyalty for Orwell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why have Orwell, Kipling, and Dickens's work all endured through the years? How are the reasons for their work enduring similar to the explanations that Orwell gives for why a writer's work would endure through the years? Cite examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the essays to support your answer, decide whether Orwell would believe in terrorism as an instrument for change.
Essay Topic 3
What role did World War II have on literature, according to Orwell? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)