|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell thinks that the antelope looks like it would be good to do what to?
2. Where does Orwell point to as a negative example of what Gandhi was trying to promote?
3. Orwell doesn't believe that Gandhi's political beliefs can be separated from what?
4. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
5. Why do the English people support the brutal and discriminatory laws?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the real debate, that Orwell mentions, that surrounds the weeklies?
2. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
3. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
4. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
5. What does Orwell conclude about the differences in nationality in England?
6. What comment that Orwell makes about the weeklies indicates an assumed gender distinction?
7. What are some of the experiences that Orwell remembers about the Spanish Civil War?
8. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
9. What do Gandhi's methods of non-violence require from the government?
10. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do moral and political beliefs intertwine in society, people, and literature, according to Orwell? Support your answer using examples from the various essays.
Essay Topic 2
According to Orwell, is history a type of political writing? Why or why not? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Does Orwell believe that England is essentially a good place? Why or why not? Use examples from the various essays to support your answer.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)