|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Gandhi feel about the British?
2. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
3. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
4. Who is the most reliable enemy of Fascism?
5. What do boys' weeklies do to foreigners in their stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orwell conclude about the differences in nationality in England?
2. What is a Yank Mag?
3. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
4. What is the difference between patriotism and national loyalty for Orwell?
5. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
6. Why does Orwell give the municipal employee bread?
7. What do Gandhi's methods of non-violence require from the government?
8. What does Orwell claim as his political leaning in his writings?
9. What does Orwell realize when one of the Senegalese soldiers looks at him with wide, wondering eyes?
10. What are some of the national characteristics of England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Orwell believe that England is essentially a good place? Why or why not? Use examples from the various essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the various essays, explain what Orwell's political beliefs are.
Essay Topic 3
How does Orwell distinguish between totalitarianism and other political beliefs? Support your answer using examples from the essays.
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)