|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gandhi believed in what dietary principle?
2. The most marked characteristic of England, according to Orwell, is what?
3. The "Gem" and "Magnet" have been in continuous publication for over how long?
4. According to Orwell, the English common people exhibit a type of ________ feeling.
5. At what age did Orwell know he was going to be a writer?
Essay Topic 1
How did British culture and society change from 1910 to the beginning of the Great War? Use examples presented by Orwell in his essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What role did World War II have on literature, according to Orwell? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does Orwell's ethnocentrism invade his writing? Does it? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)