|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Boys' Weekly is often described as "penny ________" what?
2. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
3. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
4. Who does most of the work on the farms in Marrakech?
5. The changes in England have been accompanied by the rapid expansion of the what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
2. What is the difference between patriotism and national loyalty for Orwell?
3. What are the characters in "Tropic of Cancer" like?
4. Why does Orwell give the municipal employee bread?
5. What does the inside of the whale represent to Orwell?
6. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
7. What is included in boys' weeklies?
8. What does Orwell realize when one of the Senegalese soldiers looks at him with wide, wondering eyes?
9. According to Orwell, what does the press consider about atrocities?
10. How has Orwell attempted to make political writing an art form?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Orwell's ethnocentrism invade his writing? Does it? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Does Orwell believe that England is essentially a good place? Why or why not? Use examples from the various essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Orwell believes that no book is completely free of political bias. What is some of the support Orwell offers for this idea in his various essays and literary critiques? Does Orwell's statement make sense, within the terms of his writings? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)