|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
2. Who does most of the work on the farms in Marrakech?
3. Orwell says that England could not become Germany any more than a turnip seed could grow into what?
4. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
5. Orwell believes that the intra-party struggles of the Spanish ______ are intricate, distant, and insignificant.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
2. What is included in boys' weeklies?
3. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
4. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
5. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
6. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi?
7. Describe the poor in Marrakech.
8. What does Orwell conclude about the differences in nationality in England?
9. What does the title "England Your England" indicate about Orwell's feelings for England?
10. What are some of the national characteristics of England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did British culture and society change from 1910 to the beginning of the Great War? Use examples presented by Orwell in his essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are national characteristics? What are the national characteristics of some of the nations Orwell has observed? How do these national characteristics play into the political and social systems of the various countries? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using evidence presented by Orwell in his essays, what is bad English writing and how does it affect politics?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)