|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age are the boy's weeklies aimed at?
2. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
3. Totalitarian Russia is associated with what type of political beliefs?
4. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
5. Gandhi's methods presupposed that the British regime would react in what type of manner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Orwell believes that no book is completely free of political bias. What is some of the support Orwell offers for this idea in his various essays and literary critiques? Does Orwell's statement make sense, within the terms of his writings? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Using evidence presented by Orwell in his essays, what is bad English writing and how does it affect politics?
Essay Topic 3
Does Orwell believe that England is essentially a good place? Why or why not? Use examples from the various essays to support your answer.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)