|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Marrakech?
2. Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia," has a distinctly _______ feel.
3. The boys' weeklies completely lack what?
4. Orwell describes himself as what?
5. Early in his life, Gandhi tried to _______ British culture.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Orwell, what does the press consider about atrocities?
2. How has Orwell attempted to make political writing an art form?
3. What does Orwell claim as his political leaning in his writings?
4. What are the characters in "Tropic of Cancer" like?
5. What is included in boys' weeklies?
6. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
7. What does Orwell realize when one of the Senegalese soldiers looks at him with wide, wondering eyes?
8. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
9. What do Gandhi's methods of non-violence require from the government?
10. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use specific examples from the essays to answer the following question: Is Orwell a revolutionary writer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What are the social and economic divides in Orwell's world? Does Orwell perceive these divides to be useful or not? Why? Support your answer with examples from the text of the essays.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the essays to support your answer, decide whether Orwell would believe in terrorism as an instrument for change.
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)