|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell considers, in "England Your England," how England is composed of varied what?
2. Orwell describes himself as what?
3. What city is "Tropic of Cancer" set in?
4. Early in his life, Gandhi tried to _______ British culture.
5. The stories in the boys' weeklies are ______ and _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is included in boys' weeklies?
2. What does Orwell realize when one of the Senegalese soldiers looks at him with wide, wondering eyes?
3. What does Orwell claim as his political leaning in his writings?
4. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
5. What comment that Orwell makes about the weeklies indicates an assumed gender distinction?
6. What does the title "England Your England" indicate about Orwell's feelings for England?
7. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
8. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
9. Describe the poor in Marrakech.
10. What are some of the national characteristics of England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Orwell, is history a type of political writing? Why or why not? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Does Orwell believe that England is essentially a good place? Why or why not? Use examples from the various essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What social structure does Orwell believe should exist in the world? Compare his ideal social structure to the social structures that do exist, and that he has written about.
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)