|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwells says that the political ______ is able to create or dismiss war's happenings to fit the current political atmosphere's needs.
2. Gandhi was part of what country's independence movement?
3. What kind of park does Orwell sit in when he feeds the antelope?
4. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
5. At what age did Orwell know he was going to be a writer?
Essay Topic 1
Orwell believes that no book is completely free of political bias. What is some of the support Orwell offers for this idea in his various essays and literary critiques? Does Orwell's statement make sense, within the terms of his writings? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Why have Orwell, Kipling, and Dickens's work all endured through the years? How are the reasons for their work enduring similar to the explanations that Orwell gives for why a writer's work would endure through the years? Cite examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Orwell states, in "Why I Write," that he writes solid prose when his political purpose is well defined. Do you agree with Orwell's characterization of himself? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the various essays.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)