|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the leader of Russia at the time of the Spanish Civil War?
2. Who is the most reliable enemy of Fascism?
3. What does Orwell feed to the antelope?
4. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
5. The Yank Mags focus on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Yank Mag?
2. What does the Italian militiaman symbolize for Orwell?
3. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
4. What comment that Orwell makes about the weeklies indicates an assumed gender distinction?
5. What do Gandhi's methods of non-violence require from the government?
6. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
7. How has Orwell attempted to make political writing an art form?
8. What are some of the national characteristics of England?
9. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi?
10. What is the real debate, that Orwell mentions, that surrounds the weeklies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did World War II have on literature, according to Orwell? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Orwell states, in "Why I Write," that he writes solid prose when his political purpose is well defined. Do you agree with Orwell's characterization of himself? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the various essays.
Essay Topic 3
What are national characteristics? What are the national characteristics of some of the nations Orwell has observed? How do these national characteristics play into the political and social systems of the various countries? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)