|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miller telld Orwell that his goal of direct participation in the Spanish Civil War was what?
2. Who does most of the work on the farms in Marrakech?
3. Gandhi became a political figure because he experienced what?
4. Early in his life, Gandhi tried to _______ British culture.
5. According to Orwell, the English common people exhibit a type of ________ feeling.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between patriotism and national loyalty for Orwell?
2. What is the real debate, that Orwell mentions, that surrounds the weeklies?
3. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
4. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
5. What do Gandhi's methods of non-violence require from the government?
6. What does the Italian militiaman symbolize for Orwell?
7. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
8. What is included in boys' weeklies?
9. What are some of the experiences that Orwell remembers about the Spanish Civil War?
10. Describe the poor in Marrakech.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did World War II have on literature, according to Orwell? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are national characteristics? What are the national characteristics of some of the nations Orwell has observed? How do these national characteristics play into the political and social systems of the various countries? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Orwell states, in "Why I Write," that he writes solid prose when his political purpose is well defined. Do you agree with Orwell's characterization of himself? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the various essays.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)