|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of park does Orwell sit in when he feeds the antelope?
2. According to Orwell, the English common people exhibit a type of ________ feeling.
3. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
4. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
5. What, does Orwell believe, is stronger than class hatred in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the experiences that Orwell remembers about the Spanish Civil War?
2. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
3. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
4. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
5. What does the title "England Your England" indicate about Orwell's feelings for England?
6. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
7. What does Orwell claim as his political leaning in his writings?
8. What is included in boys' weeklies?
9. What are the characters in "Tropic of Cancer" like?
10. What comment that Orwell makes about the weeklies indicates an assumed gender distinction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did World War II have on literature, according to Orwell? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Orwell states, in "Why I Write," that he writes solid prose when his political purpose is well defined. Do you agree with Orwell's characterization of himself? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the various essays.
Essay Topic 3
What social structure does Orwell believe should exist in the world? Compare his ideal social structure to the social structures that do exist, and that he has written about.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)