|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miller telld Orwell that his goal of direct participation in the Spanish Civil War was what?
2. The Spanish Civil War was essentially a(n) _______ war.
3. Orwell believes that stringent social conformism means that the greatest writers write what type of works?
4. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
5. Who is at the top of the social pyramid in Marrakech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the national characteristics of England?
2. What does Orwell conclude about the differences in nationality in England?
3. Describe the poor in Marrakech.
4. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
5. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
6. What is the real debate, that Orwell mentions, that surrounds the weeklies?
7. Why does Orwell give the municipal employee bread?
8. What does Orwell claim as his political leaning in his writings?
9. What do Gandhi's methods of non-violence require from the government?
10. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using evidence presented by Orwell in his essays, what is bad English writing and how does it affect politics?
Essay Topic 2
Use specific examples from the essays to answer the following question: Is Orwell a revolutionary writer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Orwell states, in "Why I Write," that he writes solid prose when his political purpose is well defined. Do you agree with Orwell's characterization of himself? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the various essays.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)