|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Boys' Weekly is often described as "penny ________" what?
2. Why do the English people support the brutal and discriminatory laws?
3. Orwell describes himself as what?
4. Orwell says that, since 1936, everything he has written has been what?
5. Orwell thinks that the antelope looks like it would be good to do what to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
2. What is the difference between patriotism and national loyalty for Orwell?
3. What is the real debate, that Orwell mentions, that surrounds the weeklies?
4. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
5. What are some of the national characteristics of England?
6. What are the characters in "Tropic of Cancer" like?
7. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
8. What do Gandhi's methods of non-violence require from the government?
9. How has Orwell attempted to make political writing an art form?
10. Describe the poor in Marrakech.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are national characteristics? What are the national characteristics of some of the nations Orwell has observed? How do these national characteristics play into the political and social systems of the various countries? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Orwell states, in "Why I Write," that he writes solid prose when his political purpose is well defined. Do you agree with Orwell's characterization of himself? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the various essays.
Essay Topic 3
What role did World War II have on literature, according to Orwell? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)