|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Non-objective truth, according to Orwell, is a diagnostic symptom of what?
2. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
3. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
4. Orwell regrets that there are no ____________ boys' weeklies.
5. Who supported Franco's defeat in the Spanish Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
2. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi?
3. Why did the British government look favorably on Gandhi?
4. What is a Yank Mag?
5. According to Orwell, what does the press consider about atrocities?
6. What are some of the experiences that Orwell remembers about the Spanish Civil War?
7. What does Orwell realize when one of the Senegalese soldiers looks at him with wide, wondering eyes?
8. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
9. What are some of the national characteristics of England?
10. What does the inside of the whale represent to Orwell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Orwell distinguish between totalitarianism and other political beliefs? Support your answer using examples from the essays.
Essay Topic 2
How do moral and political beliefs intertwine in society, people, and literature, according to Orwell? Support your answer using examples from the various essays.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the various essays, explain what Orwell's political beliefs are.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)