|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the British feel about Gandhi?
2. What age are the boy's weeklies aimed at?
3. At what age did Orwell know he was going to be a writer?
4. Orwell believes that revolution and warfare make people behave how?
5. Gandhi was part of what country's independence movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is included in boys' weeklies?
2. According to Orwell, what does the press consider about atrocities?
3. What are some of the experiences that Orwell remembers about the Spanish Civil War?
4. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
5. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
6. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
7. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
8. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi?
9. What is the real debate, that Orwell mentions, that surrounds the weeklies?
10. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using evidence presented by Orwell in his essays, what is bad English writing and how does it affect politics?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the essays to support your answer, decide whether Orwell would believe in terrorism as an instrument for change.
Essay Topic 3
Why have Orwell, Kipling, and Dickens's work all endured through the years? How are the reasons for their work enduring similar to the explanations that Orwell gives for why a writer's work would endure through the years? Cite examples from the essays to support your answer.
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)