|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The "Gem" and "Magnet" have been in continuous publication for over how long?
2. Orwell believes that war is necessarily what?
3. Where does Orwell point to as a negative example of what Gandhi was trying to promote?
4. What is the first reason that writers might be compelled to write?
5. Orwell believes that what are perpetrated by all sides in nearly all wars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
2. According to Orwell, what does the press consider about atrocities?
3. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
4. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
5. What does Orwell claim as his political leaning in his writings?
6. What is the difference between patriotism and national loyalty for Orwell?
7. What is a Yank Mag?
8. What does Orwell realize when one of the Senegalese soldiers looks at him with wide, wondering eyes?
9. What does the title "England Your England" indicate about Orwell's feelings for England?
10. What are some of the experiences that Orwell remembers about the Spanish Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do moral and political beliefs intertwine in society, people, and literature, according to Orwell? Support your answer using examples from the various essays.
Essay Topic 2
What role did World War II have on literature, according to Orwell? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What are the social and economic divides in Orwell's world? Does Orwell perceive these divides to be useful or not? Why? Support your answer with examples from the text of the essays.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)