|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of park does Orwell sit in when he feeds the antelope?
2. Orwell doesn't believe that Gandhi's political beliefs can be separated from what?
3. The officers of the Senegalese soldiers are not marching, they are what?
4. Orwell believes that revolution and warfare make people behave how?
5. What, does Orwell believe, is stronger than class hatred in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi?
2. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
3. Why did the British government look favorably on Gandhi?
4. What does the title "England Your England" indicate about Orwell's feelings for England?
5. What does Orwell claim as his political leaning in his writings?
6. What is a Yank Mag?
7. What is the real debate, that Orwell mentions, that surrounds the weeklies?
8. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
9. Describe the poor in Marrakech.
10. According to Orwell, what does the press consider about atrocities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Orwell believe that England is essentially a good place? Why or why not? Use examples from the various essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How do moral and political beliefs intertwine in society, people, and literature, according to Orwell? Support your answer using examples from the various essays.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the experiences that Orwell presents, is Orwell a writer who is self-centered? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)