|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell rejects, specifically, which of Gandhi's principles as a spiritual practice?
2. Orwell believes that stringent social conformism means that the greatest writers write what type of works?
3. Who was the leader of Russia at the time of the Spanish Civil War?
4. Orwells says that the political ______ is able to create or dismiss war's happenings to fit the current political atmosphere's needs.
5. Where is Marrakech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between patriotism and national loyalty for Orwell?
2. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi?
3. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
4. Why does Orwell give the municipal employee bread?
5. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
6. What are some of the experiences that Orwell remembers about the Spanish Civil War?
7. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
8. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
9. What are the characters in "Tropic of Cancer" like?
10. What comment that Orwell makes about the weeklies indicates an assumed gender distinction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the experiences that Orwell presents, is Orwell a writer who is self-centered? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What social structure does Orwell believe should exist in the world? Compare his ideal social structure to the social structures that do exist, and that he has written about.
Essay Topic 3
Using evidence presented by Orwell in his essays, what is bad English writing and how does it affect politics?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)