|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia," has a distinctly _______ feel.
2. English citizens, according to Orwell, have a love of what, but not because of aesthetics?
3. How did the British feel about Gandhi?
4. The officers of the Senegalese soldiers are not marching, they are what?
5. When Orwell writes the essay, "England Your England," German planes are bombing where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the poor in Marrakech.
2. Why did the British government look favorably on Gandhi?
3. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
4. What does Orwell conclude about the differences in nationality in England?
5. What does the Italian militiaman symbolize for Orwell?
6. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
7. Why does Orwell give the municipal employee bread?
8. How has Orwell attempted to make political writing an art form?
9. What is the difference between patriotism and national loyalty for Orwell?
10. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use specific examples from the essays to answer the following question: Is Orwell a revolutionary writer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What social structure does Orwell believe should exist in the world? Compare his ideal social structure to the social structures that do exist, and that he has written about.
Essay Topic 3
How does Orwell's ethnocentrism invade his writing? Does it? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)