|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell says that England could not become Germany any more than a turnip seed could grow into what?
2. Gandhi was part of what country's independence movement?
3. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
4. What age are the boy's weeklies aimed at?
5. English national characteristics include a lack of what type of inclination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Gandhi's methods of non-violence require from the government?
2. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
3. Why does Orwell give the municipal employee bread?
4. Describe the poor in Marrakech.
5. Why did the British government look favorably on Gandhi?
6. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
7. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
8. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
9. What are some of the experiences that Orwell remembers about the Spanish Civil War?
10. What does the inside of the whale represent to Orwell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the experiences that Orwell presents, is Orwell a writer who is self-centered? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why have Orwell, Kipling, and Dickens's work all endured through the years? How are the reasons for their work enduring similar to the explanations that Orwell gives for why a writer's work would endure through the years? Cite examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
According to Orwell's writings, why are civil liberties necessary in order to solve society's problems? Use evidence from the essays to support your answer.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)