|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Spanish Civil War was essentially a(n) _______ war.
2. When Orwell writes the essay, "England Your England," German planes are bombing where?
3. The boys' weeklies completely lack what?
4. How many reasons compel writers to write, according to Orwell?
5. Non-objective truth, according to Orwell, is a diagnostic symptom of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Gandhi's methods of non-violence require from the government?
2. What is the real debate, that Orwell mentions, that surrounds the weeklies?
3. What are the characters in "Tropic of Cancer" like?
4. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
5. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
6. What are some of the experiences that Orwell remembers about the Spanish Civil War?
7. What does Orwell claim as his political leaning in his writings?
8. What comment that Orwell makes about the weeklies indicates an assumed gender distinction?
9. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
10. What does Orwell realize when one of the Senegalese soldiers looks at him with wide, wondering eyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Orwell's writings, why are civil liberties necessary in order to solve society's problems? Use evidence from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Orwell states, in "Why I Write," that he writes solid prose when his political purpose is well defined. Do you agree with Orwell's characterization of himself? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the various essays.
Essay Topic 3
What are the social and economic divides in Orwell's world? Does Orwell perceive these divides to be useful or not? Why? Support your answer with examples from the text of the essays.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)