|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of employee tells Orwell that he, instead of the antelope, could eat the food Orwell is giving to the antelope?
2. Who is at the top of the social pyramid in Marrakech?
3. Orwell says that writers are usually vain and what?
4. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
5. Orwell rejects, specifically, which of Gandhi's principles as a spiritual practice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
2. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi?
3. What is included in boys' weeklies?
4. What are some of the national characteristics of England?
5. What are some of the experiences that Orwell remembers about the Spanish Civil War?
6. Why did the British government look favorably on Gandhi?
7. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
8. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
9. What is a Yank Mag?
10. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are national characteristics? What are the national characteristics of some of the nations Orwell has observed? How do these national characteristics play into the political and social systems of the various countries? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the solutions presented to society's problems by Orwell, and what does he think of each solution? Support your answer with evidence from the essays.
Essay Topic 3
According to Orwell's writings, why are civil liberties necessary in order to solve society's problems? Use evidence from the essays to support your answer.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)