|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most Europeans who visit Marrakech are appalled at the harsh treatment meted out to what?
2. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
3. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
4. What city is "Tropic of Cancer" set in?
5. English citizens, according to Orwell, have a love of what, but not because of aesthetics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the experiences that Orwell presents, is Orwell a writer who is self-centered? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using evidence presented by Orwell in his essays, what is bad English writing and how does it affect politics?
Essay Topic 3
How does Orwell distinguish between totalitarianism and other political beliefs? Support your answer using examples from the essays.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)