|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell believes that children have no sense of ______ and therefore cannot judge things for what they are.
2. Raffles is considered a gentleman _______.
3. In what country is Moulmein?
4. Orwell believes that Kipling's poetry is remembered because of what?
5. Orwell leaves the scene of the elephant shooting feeling what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Raffles novels and "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" similar?
2. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
3. Why does Orwell not consider Dickens a revolutionary writer?
4. What is a Yank Mag?
5. Why is Orwell hated in Moulmein?
6. Describe Orwell's Sancho Panza view of life?
7. What is Orwell's motivation for shooting the elephant?
8. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
9. Why is bad English an excellent vehicle for political speech?
10. What do nearly all reviewers of Dickens's work agree on?
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the essays to support your answer, decide whether Orwell would believe in terrorism as an instrument for change.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the solutions presented to society's problems by Orwell, and what does he think of each solution? Support your answer with evidence from the essays.
Essay Topic 3
What social structure does Orwell believe should exist in the world? Compare his ideal social structure to the social structures that do exist, and that he has written about.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)