|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell believes that Dickens is more than an author, he is a what?
2. Kipling strongly identifies with what class?
3. Orwell says that using bad English is what?
4. In what type of print does Raffles appear?
5. What is depicted on McGill postcards that is, by definition, humorous?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the standard joke about home life that the semi-illicit postcards use?
2. Why is Orwell hated in Moulmein?
3. What role does Orwell believe his past experiences have played in his life?
4. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
5. What did Kipling's romantic ideas about England and the Empire result in?
6. What does Orwell announce after his first beating?
7. Why has bad English been successful in the political arena?
8. What does the typical Dickens novel focus on?
9. Who is Raffles?
10. What is Orwell's intention when he leaves his station to look for the elephant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do moral and political beliefs intertwine in society, people, and literature, according to Orwell? Support your answer using examples from the various essays.
Essay Topic 2
How does Orwell's ethnocentrism invade his writing? Does it? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the solutions presented to society's problems by Orwell, and what does he think of each solution? Support your answer with evidence from the essays.
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)