|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell says that using bad English is what?
2. How is Raffles killed?
3. Who is Bingo?
4. When Orwell first comes upon the elephant, what is it eating?
5. Raffles is a cricketer who excels as a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to the headmaster, is Orwell's only function at the school?
2. What is "bad English writing," according to Orwell?
3. What is the duality of the human experience that the semi-illict postcards represents?
4. Why is Orwell hated in Moulmein?
5. What did Kipling's romantic ideas about England and the Empire result in?
6. What are some of the simple pleasures Orwell remembers from school?
7. What is Orwell's motivation for shooting the elephant?
8. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
9. What does Orwell conclude about Dickens's solution for societal ills, at the end of the essay?
10. Who is Raffles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Orwell believe that England is essentially a good place? Why or why not? Use examples from the various essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How do moral and political beliefs intertwine in society, people, and literature, according to Orwell? Support your answer using examples from the various essays.
Essay Topic 3
Orwell states, in "Why I Write," that he writes solid prose when his political purpose is well defined. Do you agree with Orwell's characterization of himself? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the various essays.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)