|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Blandish is the daughter of whom?
2. Under the philosophy of the school, obscene displays of wealth are indicative of what?
3. Kipling's ideas result in poetry that portrays the common foot soldier as what?
4. Dickens believes that what type of children shouldn't have to work long shifts in crushing labor?
5. What is Crossgates?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the post-Hitler world view of law different from Kipling's?
2. What do nearly all reviewers of Dickens's work agree on?
3. Why does Orwell refer to Kipling's poetry as "good bad poetry"?
4. What describes the purpose of the semi-illicit postcards most newsstands carry?
5. Why has bad English been successful in the political arena?
6. What is the duality of the human experience that the semi-illict postcards represents?
7. What does the typical Dickens novel focus on?
8. Describe Orwell's Sancho Panza view of life?
9. Who is Raffles?
10. What, according to the headmaster, is Orwell's only function at the school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use specific examples from the essays to answer the following question: Is Orwell a revolutionary writer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the various essays, explain what Orwell's political beliefs are.
Essay Topic 3
According to Orwell's writings, why are civil liberties necessary in order to solve society's problems? Use evidence from the essays to support your answer.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)