|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age do the McGill postcards imply that sex-appeal evaporates?
2. What happens to the elephant after Orwell shoots all his elephant rifle ammunition at it?
3. Orwell says that using bad English is what?
4. Among the poorer students, illnesses are considered to be be a form of what?
5. Orwell believes that Dickens is more than an author, he is a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the subsequent investigation find regarding Orwell's shooting of the elephant?
2. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
3. What do nearly all reviewers of Dickens's work agree on?
4. Who is Raffles?
5. What are the common writing errors that Orwell enumerates in his "Politics and the English Language" essay?
6. What, according to the headmaster, is Orwell's only function at the school?
7. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
8. How are the Raffles novels and "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" similar?
9. What role does Orwell believe his past experiences have played in his life?
10. What does Orwell announce after his first beating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do moral and political beliefs intertwine in society, people, and literature, according to Orwell? Support your answer using examples from the various essays.
Essay Topic 2
Why have Orwell, Kipling, and Dickens's work all endured through the years? How are the reasons for their work enduring similar to the explanations that Orwell gives for why a writer's work would endure through the years? Cite examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Does Orwell believe that England is essentially a good place? Why or why not? Use examples from the various essays to support your answer.
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)