|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the elephant after Orwell shoots all his elephant rifle ammunition at it?
2. Once Orwell won his scholarships, the school considered him what?
3. What is the "Blitz" of World War II?
4. Dickens did not write about what?
5. Kipling's poetry has penetrated into everyday language because Kipling did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to Orwell, do the various deficiencies in Dickens's novels lead a person to conclude?
2. What are the common writing errors that Orwell enumerates in his "Politics and the English Language" essay?
3. Why has bad English been successful in the political arena?
4. What is the plot of "No Orchids for Miss Blandish"?
5. Why does Orwell believe that Dickens is a moral writer, and not a political writer?
6. How are the Raffles novels and "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" similar?
7. What describes the purpose of the semi-illicit postcards most newsstands carry?
8. What does the typical Dickens novel focus on?
9. Why did Kipling's poetry resonate with middle-class readers?
10. What does Orwell announce after his first beating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Orwell, is history a type of political writing? Why or why not? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Orwell states, in "Why I Write," that he writes solid prose when his political purpose is well defined. Do you agree with Orwell's characterization of himself? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the various essays.
Essay Topic 3
What are national characteristics? What are the national characteristics of some of the nations Orwell has observed? How do these national characteristics play into the political and social systems of the various countries? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)