Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell believes that children have no sense of ______ and therefore cannot judge things for what they are.
2. Raffles is considered a gentleman _______.
3. In what country is Moulmein?
4. Orwell believes that Kipling's poetry is remembered because of what?
5. Orwell leaves the scene of the elephant shooting feeling what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Raffles novels and "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" similar?
2. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
3. Why does Orwell not consider Dickens a revolutionary writer?
4. What is a Yank Mag?
5. Why is Orwell hated in Moulmein?
6. Describe Orwell's Sancho Panza view of life?
7. What is Orwell's motivation for shooting the elephant?
8. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
9. Why is bad English an excellent vehicle for political speech?
10. What do nearly all reviewers of Dickens's work agree on?
Essay Topic 1
How do moral and political beliefs intertwine in society, people, and literature, according to Orwell? Support your answer using examples from the various essays.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the various essays, explain what Orwell's political beliefs are.
Essay Topic 3
What role did World War II have on literature, according to Orwell? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)