Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell believes that children have no sense of ______ and therefore cannot judge things for what they are.
2. Raffles is considered a gentleman _______.
3. In what country is Moulmein?
4. Orwell believes that Kipling's poetry is remembered because of what?
5. Orwell leaves the scene of the elephant shooting feeling what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Raffles novels and "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" similar?
2. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
3. Why does Orwell not consider Dickens a revolutionary writer?
4. What is a Yank Mag?
5. Why is Orwell hated in Moulmein?
6. Describe Orwell's Sancho Panza view of life?
7. What is Orwell's motivation for shooting the elephant?
8. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
9. Why is bad English an excellent vehicle for political speech?
10. What do nearly all reviewers of Dickens's work agree on?
Essay Topic 1
According to Orwell, is history a type of political writing? Why or why not? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Orwell believes that no book is completely free of political bias. What is some of the support Orwell offers for this idea in his various essays and literary critiques? Does Orwell's statement make sense, within the terms of his writings? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does Orwell's ethnocentrism invade his writing? Does it? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)