|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dickens believes that what type of children shouldn't have to work long shifts in crushing labor?
2. Kipling provides nearly the only literary description of much of nineteenth-century where?
3. Orwell believes that Dickens is more than an author, he is a what?
4. Kipling feels that suppressing and controlling native people is what?
5. The dirty postcards are a sign that people sometimes wish that society wasn't so what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Orwell believe that Dickens is a moral writer, and not a political writer?
2. What is the duality of the human experience that the semi-illict postcards represents?
3. Why is bad English an excellent vehicle for political speech?
4. What role does Orwell believe his past experiences have played in his life?
5. What, according to the headmaster, is Orwell's only function at the school?
6. Why is Orwell hated in Moulmein?
7. What does Orwell announce after his first beating?
8. What does the typical Dickens novel focus on?
9. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
10. What describes the purpose of the semi-illicit postcards most newsstands carry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Orwell's ethnocentrism invade his writing? Does it? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Use specific examples from the essays to answer the following question: Is Orwell a revolutionary writer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the experiences that Orwell presents, is Orwell a writer who is self-centered? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)