|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dickens believes that what type of children shouldn't have to work long shifts in crushing labor?
2. McGill's postcards are designed to get what?
3. How many cartridges does Orwell get with his elephant rifle?
4. Kipling's ideals result in poetry that do what to junior officers in the military?
5. Kipling believes that there is what type of law, that he considers morally right?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
2. What is Orwell's intention when he leaves his station to look for the elephant?
3. What is the standard joke about home life that the semi-illicit postcards use?
4. Why did Kipling's poetry resonate with middle-class readers?
5. Why does Orwell believe that Dickens is a moral writer, and not a political writer?
6. Why has bad English been successful in the political arena?
7. Describe Orwell's Sancho Panza view of life?
8. What is Orwell's motivation for shooting the elephant?
9. What does Orwell announce after his first beating?
10. Why does Orwell not consider Dickens a revolutionary writer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Orwell distinguish between totalitarianism and other political beliefs? Support your answer using examples from the essays.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the essays to support your answer, decide whether Orwell would believe in terrorism as an instrument for change.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the experiences that Orwell presents, is Orwell a writer who is self-centered? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)