|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dickens is not what type of writer?
2. To a modern sensibility, much of Kipling's philosophy is what?
3. Kipling feels that suppressing and controlling native people is what?
4. How many sections is the essay on Orwell's school experiences divided into?
5. What is Crossgates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "bad English writing," according to Orwell?
2. What is the plot of "No Orchids for Miss Blandish"?
3. Why did Kipling's poetry resonate with middle-class readers?
4. What is the standard joke about home life that the semi-illicit postcards use?
5. What, according to the headmaster, is Orwell's only function at the school?
6. Why does Orwell not consider Dickens a revolutionary writer?
7. Why does Orwell believe that Dickens is a moral writer, and not a political writer?
8. Why has bad English been successful in the political arena?
9. What, according to Orwell, do the various deficiencies in Dickens's novels lead a person to conclude?
10. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the essays to support your answer, decide whether Orwell would believe in terrorism as an instrument for change.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the various essays, explain what Orwell's political beliefs are.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the experiences that Orwell presents, is Orwell a writer who is self-centered? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)