|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of literature does Kipling write?
2. Dickens focuses on the institutions of what?
3. The basic premise of the postcards that deal with marriage is that marriage benefits who?
4. What is Crossgates?
5. The result of Orwell's translation of a verse from the Bible into typical bad English is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the duality of the human experience that the semi-illict postcards represents?
2. What is the difference between how poor and rich students are treated at Crossgates on social occasions, such as birthdays?
3. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
4. Describe Orwell's Sancho Panza view of life?
5. What do nearly all reviewers of Dickens's work agree on?
6. What does Orwell announce after his first beating?
7. What, according to Orwell, do the various deficiencies in Dickens's novels lead a person to conclude?
8. Why does Orwell believe that Dickens is a moral writer, and not a political writer?
9. What is Orwell's intention when he leaves his station to look for the elephant?
10. What is Orwell's motivation for shooting the elephant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did British culture and society change from 1910 to the beginning of the Great War? Use examples presented by Orwell in his essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Does Orwell believe that England is essentially a good place? Why or why not? Use examples from the various essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does Orwell distinguish between totalitarianism and other political beliefs? Support your answer using examples from the essays.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)