|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The dirty postcards are a sign that people sometimes wish that society wasn't so what?
2. McGill postcards say that a man can never win what with a woman?
3. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
4. How many cartridges does Orwell get with his elephant rifle?
5. How long does it take Orwell before he started wetting his bed at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the duality of the human experience that the semi-illict postcards represents?
2. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
3. What does Orwell conclude about the differences in nationality in England?
4. What describes the purpose of the semi-illicit postcards most newsstands carry?
5. What is "bad English writing," according to Orwell?
6. What is Orwell's motivation for shooting the elephant?
7. Why does Orwell give the municipal employee bread?
8. What does the subsequent investigation find regarding Orwell's shooting of the elephant?
9. Why is Orwell hated in Moulmein?
10. What does Orwell conclude about Dickens's solution for societal ills, at the end of the essay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did British culture and society change from 1910 to the beginning of the Great War? Use examples presented by Orwell in his essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What social structure does Orwell believe should exist in the world? Compare his ideal social structure to the social structures that do exist, and that he has written about.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the essays to support your answer, decide whether Orwell would believe in terrorism as an instrument for change.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)