|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Crossgates?
2. McGill's postcards are designed to get what?
3. The subsequent investigation finds that Orwell was _______ in shooting the elephant.
4. At what age do the McGill postcards imply that sex-appeal evaporates?
5. Dickens is not what type of writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to Orwell, do the various deficiencies in Dickens's novels lead a person to conclude?
2. Why did Kipling's poetry resonate with middle-class readers?
3. Describe Orwell's Sancho Panza view of life?
4. Why is Orwell hated in Moulmein?
5. What did Kipling's romantic ideas about England and the Empire result in?
6. What is the duality of the human experience that the semi-illict postcards represents?
7. What is "bad English writing," according to Orwell?
8. What is the plot of "No Orchids for Miss Blandish"?
9. What does Orwell conclude about Dickens's solution for societal ills, at the end of the essay?
10. How is the post-Hitler world view of law different from Kipling's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the essays to support your answer, decide whether Orwell would believe in terrorism as an instrument for change.
Essay Topic 2
What are national characteristics? What are the national characteristics of some of the nations Orwell has observed? How do these national characteristics play into the political and social systems of the various countries? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How did British culture and society change from 1910 to the beginning of the Great War? Use examples presented by Orwell in his essays to support your answer.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)