|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
2. What happens to the elephant after Orwell shoots all his elephant rifle ammunition at it?
3. How does Orwell, repeatedly, refer to Kipling's poetry?
4. Kipling feels that suppressing and controlling native people is what?
5. How does the school characterize bed-wetting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Orwell hated in Moulmein?
2. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
3. Who is Raffles?
4. What role does Orwell believe his past experiences have played in his life?
5. What are the common writing errors that Orwell enumerates in his "Politics and the English Language" essay?
6. How are the Raffles novels and "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" similar?
7. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
8. What is the difference between patriotism and national loyalty for Orwell?
9. According to Orwell, what does the press consider about atrocities?
10. What does the title "England Your England" indicate about Orwell's feelings for England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Orwell distinguish between totalitarianism and other political beliefs? Support your answer using examples from the essays.
Essay Topic 2
Orwell states, in "Why I Write," that he writes solid prose when his political purpose is well defined. Do you agree with Orwell's characterization of himself? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the various essays.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the essays to support your answer, decide whether Orwell would believe in terrorism as an instrument for change.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)