Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
2. Kipling feels that suppressing and controlling native people is what?
3. The obscene McGill postcards are tolerated because they are based on what?
4. In Moulmein, Orwell serves in what capacity?
5. Orwell calls the dual nature that is in all people the ________ view of life.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orwell announce after his first beating?
2. What does the subsequent investigation find regarding Orwell's shooting of the elephant?
3. Who is Raffles?
4. What does Orwell conclude about the differences in nationality in England?
5. What is "bad English writing," according to Orwell?
6. What does the title "England Your England" indicate about Orwell's feelings for England?
7. What, according to Orwell, do the various deficiencies in Dickens's novels lead a person to conclude?
8. What is a Yank Mag?
9. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
10. Why does Orwell refer to Kipling's poetry as "good bad poetry"?
Based on the experiences that Orwell presents, is Orwell a writer who is self-centered? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
How does Orwell distinguish between totalitarianism and other political beliefs? Support your answer using examples from the essays.
Using evidence presented by Orwell in his essays, what is bad English writing and how does it affect politics?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)