|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many shots does Orwell fire before approaching the elephant?
2. How long does it take Orwell before he started wetting his bed at school?
3. How man people gather to watch Orwell find the elephant?
4. When political truth is difficult, meaningless ________ becomes acceptable.
5. In Moulmein, Orwell serves in what capacity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Orwell's intention when he leaves his station to look for the elephant?
2. What, according to Orwell, do the various deficiencies in Dickens's novels lead a person to conclude?
3. What does the typical Dickens novel focus on?
4. Why does Orwell refer to Kipling's poetry as "good bad poetry"?
5. What role does Orwell believe his past experiences have played in his life?
6. Why did Kipling's poetry resonate with middle-class readers?
7. What, according to the headmaster, is Orwell's only function at the school?
8. What describes the purpose of the semi-illicit postcards most newsstands carry?
9. What did Kipling's romantic ideas about England and the Empire result in?
10. What are some of the simple pleasures Orwell remembers from school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Orwell distinguish between totalitarianism and other political beliefs? Support your answer using examples from the essays.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the various essays, explain what Orwell's political beliefs are.
Essay Topic 3
Does Orwell believe that England is essentially a good place? Why or why not? Use examples from the various essays to support your answer.
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)