|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dickens is against trade _______.
2. Orwell believes that good English writing demands what?
3. Dickens says that proper acts are those that are historically what?
4. Orwell leaves the scene of the elephant shooting feeling what?
5. Raffles is considered a gentleman _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Orwell believe his past experiences have played in his life?
2. What, according to the headmaster, is Orwell's only function at the school?
3. Why does Orwell refer to Kipling's poetry as "good bad poetry"?
4. What is the standard joke about home life that the semi-illicit postcards use?
5. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
6. What is the difference between how poor and rich students are treated at Crossgates on social occasions, such as birthdays?
7. What is "bad English writing," according to Orwell?
8. What is Orwell's intention when he leaves his station to look for the elephant?
9. What is the plot of "No Orchids for Miss Blandish"?
10. What does Orwell announce after his first beating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do moral and political beliefs intertwine in society, people, and literature, according to Orwell? Support your answer using examples from the various essays.
Essay Topic 2
Orwell believes that no book is completely free of political bias. What is some of the support Orwell offers for this idea in his various essays and literary critiques? Does Orwell's statement make sense, within the terms of his writings? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Using evidence presented by Orwell in his essays, what is bad English writing and how does it affect politics?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)