|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The basic premise of the postcards that deal with marriage is that marriage benefits who?
2. How is Raffles killed?
3. Kipling provides nearly the only literary description of much of nineteenth-century where?
4. Who does Orwell, while he is at school, smash in the face?
5. In what country is Moulmein?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Raffles novels and "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" similar?
2. Describe Orwell's Sancho Panza view of life?
3. What did Kipling's romantic ideas about England and the Empire result in?
4. What is the standard joke about home life that the semi-illicit postcards use?
5. Why does Orwell believe that Dickens is a moral writer, and not a political writer?
6. What is "bad English writing," according to Orwell?
7. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
8. Why is bad English an excellent vehicle for political speech?
9. What are the common writing errors that Orwell enumerates in his "Politics and the English Language" essay?
10. What is Orwell's motivation for shooting the elephant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Orwell believe that England is essentially a good place? Why or why not? Use examples from the various essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What social structure does Orwell believe should exist in the world? Compare his ideal social structure to the social structures that do exist, and that he has written about.
Essay Topic 3
How does Orwell's ethnocentrism invade his writing? Does it? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)