|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kipling believes that there is what type of law, that he considers morally right?
2. In what country is Moulmein?
3. Dickens believes that society's ills are partially due to what?
4. Dickens treats all petty officials with what?
5. Who does Orwell send to get an elephant rifle before he goes looking for the elephant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Kipling's romantic ideas about England and the Empire result in?
2. What does the subsequent investigation find regarding Orwell's shooting of the elephant?
3. What, according to Orwell, do the various deficiencies in Dickens's novels lead a person to conclude?
4. What is Orwell's motivation for shooting the elephant?
5. Describe Orwell's Sancho Panza view of life?
6. What does Orwell announce after his first beating?
7. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
8. What is Orwell's intention when he leaves his station to look for the elephant?
9. What, according to the headmaster, is Orwell's only function at the school?
10. What does Orwell conclude about Dickens's solution for societal ills, at the end of the essay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Orwell's writings, why are civil liberties necessary in order to solve society's problems? Use evidence from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the solutions presented to society's problems by Orwell, and what does he think of each solution? Support your answer with evidence from the essays.
Essay Topic 3
What are national characteristics? What are the national characteristics of some of the nations Orwell has observed? How do these national characteristics play into the political and social systems of the various countries? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)