|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
2. In what country is Moulmein?
3. Orwell leaves the scene of the elephant shooting feeling what?
4. The obscene McGill postcards are tolerated because they are based on what?
5. How many scholarships does Orwell win?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Orwell's motivation for shooting the elephant?
2. What does the typical Dickens novel focus on?
3. Why did Kipling's poetry resonate with middle-class readers?
4. What does Orwell announce after his first beating?
5. Why is bad English an excellent vehicle for political speech?
6. What, according to Orwell, do the various deficiencies in Dickens's novels lead a person to conclude?
7. What are some of the simple pleasures Orwell remembers from school?
8. What is "bad English writing," according to Orwell?
9. What do nearly all reviewers of Dickens's work agree on?
10. Why has bad English been successful in the political arena?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the experiences that Orwell presents, is Orwell a writer who is self-centered? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How did British culture and society change from 1910 to the beginning of the Great War? Use examples presented by Orwell in his essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What role did World War II have on literature, according to Orwell? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)