|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Moulmein, Orwell serves in what capacity?
2. When did "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" appear?
3. Dickens says that proper acts are those that are historically what?
4. Dickens was considered a social _______.
5. In general, Orwell believes that bad English ______ the language of meaning.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orwell announce after his first beating?
2. Why does Orwell believe that Dickens is a moral writer, and not a political writer?
3. What did Kipling's romantic ideas about England and the Empire result in?
4. Why is bad English an excellent vehicle for political speech?
5. What are the common writing errors that Orwell enumerates in his "Politics and the English Language" essay?
6. What describes the purpose of the semi-illicit postcards most newsstands carry?
7. Describe Orwell's Sancho Panza view of life?
8. What is "bad English writing," according to Orwell?
9. Why did Kipling's poetry resonate with middle-class readers?
10. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did World War II have on literature, according to Orwell? Use examples from the essays to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the experiences that Orwell presents, is Orwell a writer who is self-centered? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why have Orwell, Kipling, and Dickens's work all endured through the years? How are the reasons for their work enduring similar to the explanations that Orwell gives for why a writer's work would endure through the years? Cite examples from the essays to support your answer.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)