|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The officers of the Senegalese soldiers are not marching, they are what?
(b) Riding in a sedan chair.
(d) Riding in a jeep.
2. Orwell believes that war is necessarily what?
3. Who was the leader of Russia at the time of the Spanish Civil War?
4. What does Orwell feed to the antelope?
5. Orwell says that writers are usually vain and what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gandhi believed in what dietary principle?
2. Early in his life, Gandhi tried to _______ British culture.
3. In "Why I Write," Orwell examines his ________ _______ in writing.
4. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
5. Orwell doesn't believe that Gandhi's political beliefs can be separated from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
2. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
3. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
4. What is included in boys' weeklies?
5. What does Orwell claim as his political leaning in his writings?
6. What does Orwell realize when one of the Senegalese soldiers looks at him with wide, wondering eyes?
7. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
8. What does the Italian militiaman symbolize for Orwell?
9. Why did the British government look favorably on Gandhi?
10. What does the inside of the whale represent to Orwell?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)