|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the leader of Russia at the time of the Spanish Civil War?
2. According to Orwell, the English common people exhibit a type of ________ feeling.
3. Boys' Weekly is often described as "penny ________" what?
4. When does Orwell meet Miller?
5. Orwells says that the political ______ is able to create or dismiss war's happenings to fit the current political atmosphere's needs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell believes that the ruling class of England is what?
2. Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia," has a distinctly _______ feel.
3. Orwell says that no book is entirely free from what?
4. Orwell regrets that there are no ____________ boys' weeklies.
5. Orwell says that England could not become Germany any more than a turnip seed could grow into what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the characters in "Tropic of Cancer" like?
2. What does the inside of the whale represent to Orwell?
3. What is included in boys' weeklies?
4. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
5. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
6. Why does Orwell give the municipal employee bread?
7. What does Orwell conclude about the differences in nationality in England?
8. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
9. What do Gandhi's methods of non-violence require from the government?
10. Describe the poor in Marrakech.
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)