|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orwell feed to the antelope?
2. English national characteristics include a lack of what type of inclination?
3. Orwell believes that what are perpetrated by all sides in nearly all wars?
(c) Good acts.
4. Orwell says that England could not become Germany any more than a turnip seed could grow into what?
(a) An onion.
(b) A tree.
(c) A flower.
(d) A parsnip.
5. English citizens, according to Orwell, have a love of what, but not because of aesthetics?
Short Answer Questions
1. Early in his life, Gandhi tried to _______ British culture.
2. Orwell says that he has generally only written solid prose when his political purpose was what?
3. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
4. What is the first reason that writers might be compelled to write?
5. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the experiences that Orwell remembers about the Spanish Civil War?
2. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
3. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
4. What does the Italian militiaman symbolize for Orwell?
5. What does the title "England Your England" indicate about Orwell's feelings for England?
6. What comment that Orwell makes about the weeklies indicates an assumed gender distinction?
7. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
8. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
9. How has Orwell attempted to make political writing an art form?
10. Describe the poor in Marrakech.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)