|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gandhi believed that he should avoid having what type of friends?
(a) Spiteful friends.
(b) Religious friends.
(c) Close friends.
(d) Giving friends.
2. What is the first reason that writers might be compelled to write?
(a) The want to be seen.
(b) They want to be talked about.
(c) They want to have influence.
(d) They want to earn money.
3. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
4. Orwell says that no book is entirely free from what?
(a) Comic relief.
(b) Political bias.
(c) Personal influences.
(d) Individual history.
5. Orwell believes that revolution and warfare make people behave how?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of employee tells Orwell that he, instead of the antelope, could eat the food Orwell is giving to the antelope?
2. English national characteristics include a lack of what type of inclination?
3. The main serialized stories of both "Gem" and "Magnet" focus on what?
4. Orwell believes that war is necessarily what?
5. Who supported Franco's defeat in the Spanish Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi?
2. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
3. What comment that Orwell makes about the weeklies indicates an assumed gender distinction?
4. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
5. How has Orwell attempted to make political writing an art form?
6. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
7. According to Orwell, what does the press consider about atrocities?
8. What does the Italian militiaman symbolize for Orwell?
9. What does the inside of the whale represent to Orwell?
10. What does the title "England Your England" indicate about Orwell's feelings for England?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)