|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell believes that revolution and warfare make people behave how?
2. What city is "Tropic of Cancer" set in?
3. Who supported Franco's defeat in the Spanish Civil War?
4. At what age did Orwell know he was going to be a writer?
(a) A teenager.
(b) A very young age.
(d) A school-aged boy.
5. Orwell says that England could not become Germany any more than a turnip seed could grow into what?
(a) A tree.
(b) An onion.
(c) A parsnip.
(d) A flower.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gandhi's methods presupposed that the British regime would react in what type of manner?
2. Who is the most reliable enemy of Fascism?
3. Why do the English people support the brutal and discriminatory laws?
4. How many reasons compel writers to write, according to Orwell?
5. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
2. According to Orwell, what does the press consider about atrocities?
3. What does the title "England Your England" indicate about Orwell's feelings for England?
4. What does the Italian militiaman symbolize for Orwell?
5. What does Orwell claim as his political leaning in his writings?
6. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
7. What is the real debate, that Orwell mentions, that surrounds the weeklies?
8. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi?
9. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
10. What does the inside of the whale represent to Orwell?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)