|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many reasons compel writers to write, according to Orwell?
(a) Three or more.
(b) Four or more.
(c) Two or more.
(d) One or more.
2. Orwell believes that stringent social conformism means that the greatest writers write what type of works?
(b) Short stories.
3. Orwell doesn't believe that Gandhi's political beliefs can be separated from what?
(a) His political actions.
(b) His religious beliefs.
(c) His duty to his people.
(d) His duty to God.
4. Orwell believes that the ruling class of England is what?
(d) Not teachable.
5. Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia," has a distinctly _______ feel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell believes that revolution and warfare make people behave how?
2. According to Orwell, the English common people exhibit a type of ________ feeling.
3. Orwell considers, in "England Your England," how England is composed of varied what?
4. What do boys' weeklies do to foreigners in their stories?
5. Orwell's early attempts at writing were focused on what type of poems?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
2. What are some of the national characteristics of England?
3. According to Orwell, what does the press consider about atrocities?
4. What comment that Orwell makes about the weeklies indicates an assumed gender distinction?
5. What are some of the experiences that Orwell remembers about the Spanish Civil War?
6. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
7. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
8. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
9. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
10. What is included in boys' weeklies?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)