|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Gandhi feel about the British?
(a) He was friends with them.
(b) He despised them.
(c) He didn't like them.
(d) He valued their opinion.
2. Gandhi became a political figure because he experienced what?
3. Why do the English people support the brutal and discriminatory laws?
(a) They value the rule of law.
(b) They have no choice.
(c) They don't know anything better.
(d) They think it has always been this way.
4. At what age did Orwell know he was going to be a writer?
(a) A school-aged boy.
(b) A teenager.
(d) A very young age.
5. When Orwell sees an enemy running along in full view, what is the enemy holding with his hands?
(a) His boots.
(b) His gun.
(c) His grenade.
(d) His trousers.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boys' weeklies completely lack what?
2. Orwell believes that war is necessarily what?
3. Orwell questions whether Gandhi truly understood the nature of what?
4. Orwells says that the political ______ is able to create or dismiss war's happenings to fit the current political atmosphere's needs.
5. Orwell's early attempts at writing were focused on what type of poems?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
2. Why did the British government look favorably on Gandhi?
3. What is a Yank Mag?
4. What does Orwell claim as his political leaning in his writings?
5. What does Orwell conclude about the differences in nationality in England?
6. What does Orwell realize when one of the Senegalese soldiers looks at him with wide, wondering eyes?
7. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
8. What are some of the experiences that Orwell remembers about the Spanish Civil War?
9. What does the inside of the whale represent to Orwell?
10. What is the difference between patriotism and national loyalty for Orwell?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)