|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
2. Orwell questions whether Gandhi truly understood the nature of what?
3. Orwell says that all successful people share his desire for what?
(c) Receiving attention.
4. Where does Orwell point to as a negative example of what Gandhi was trying to promote?
5. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the most reliable enemy of Fascism?
2. Orwell says that no book is entirely free from what?
3. Who is at the top of the social pyramid in Marrakech?
4. Orwell believes that the ruling class of England is what?
5. What kind of park does Orwell sit in when he feeds the antelope?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
2. What is the real debate, that Orwell mentions, that surrounds the weeklies?
3. What does Orwell conclude about the differences in nationality in England?
4. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
5. What does the inside of the whale represent to Orwell?
6. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
7. What does the title "England Your England" indicate about Orwell's feelings for England?
8. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
9. What does Orwell realize when one of the Senegalese soldiers looks at him with wide, wondering eyes?
10. What does Orwell claim as his political leaning in his writings?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)