|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The "Gem" and "Magnet" have been in continuous publication for over how long?
(a) 60 years.
(b) 50 years.
(c) 30 years.
(d) 40 years.
2. Orwell watches a troop of ______ Senegalese soldiers walk by him in Marrakech.
3. The officers of the Senegalese soldiers are not marching, they are what?
(a) Riding in a jeep.
(c) Riding in a sedan chair.
4. Orwell questions whether Gandhi truly understood the nature of what?
5. Orwell says that he has generally only written solid prose when his political purpose was what?
(b) Well defined.
(c) Democratically motivated.
(d) Experienced first-hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Orwell writes the essay, "England Your England," German planes are bombing where?
2. What does Orwell feed to the antelope?
3. Most Europeans who visit Marrakech are appalled at the harsh treatment meted out to what?
4. Which is not a title Orwell lists as one of the boys' weeklies?
5. How did the British feel about Gandhi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Italian militiaman symbolize for Orwell?
2. Describe the poor in Marrakech.
3. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
4. What comment that Orwell makes about the weeklies indicates an assumed gender distinction?
5. What does Orwell claim as his political leaning in his writings?
6. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
7. What are the characters in "Tropic of Cancer" like?
8. According to Orwell, what does the press consider about atrocities?
9. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
10. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)