|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city is "Tropic of Cancer" set in?
2. The most marked characteristic of England, according to Orwell, is what?
(a) Its gentleness.
(b) Its monarchy.
(c) Its hypocrisy.
(d) Its spirituality.
3. Gandhi became a political figure because he experienced what?
4. The Spanish Civil War was essentially a(n) _______ war.
5. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
(a) The Empirists.
(b) The Fascists.
(c) The Socialists.
(d) The Elitists.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the English people support the brutal and discriminatory laws?
2. All Chinese, in "Gem" and "Magent," wear what?
3. Who supported Franco's defeat in the Spanish Civil War?
4. Miller telld Orwell that his goal of direct participation in the Spanish Civil War was what?
5. When Orwell sees an enemy running along in full view, what is the enemy holding with his hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Orwell, what does the press consider about atrocities?
2. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
3. What do Gandhi's methods of non-violence require from the government?
4. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
5. Why did the British government look favorably on Gandhi?
6. What does the title "England Your England" indicate about Orwell's feelings for England?
7. What does Orwell realize when one of the Senegalese soldiers looks at him with wide, wondering eyes?
8. What are some of the national characteristics of England?
9. What comment that Orwell makes about the weeklies indicates an assumed gender distinction?
10. What does the inside of the whale represent to Orwell?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)