|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
(c) First-person narrative.
2. Orwell believes that war is necessarily what?
3. Early in his life, Gandhi tried to _______ British culture.
4. In "Why I Write," Orwell examines his ________ _______ in writing.
(a) Personal bias.
(b) Personal feelings.
(c) Personal interest.
(d) Personal history.
5. What, does Orwell believe, is stronger than class hatred in England?
(c) Cultural similarities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is "Tropic of Cancer" set in?
2. Orwell watches a troop of ______ Senegalese soldiers walk by him in Marrakech.
3. When Orwell writes the essay, "England Your England," German planes are bombing where?
4. Orwell regrets that there are no ____________ boys' weeklies.
5. The boys' weeklies completely lack what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
2. What does Orwell conclude about the differences in nationality in England?
3. Why did the British government look favorably on Gandhi?
4. What is the real debate, that Orwell mentions, that surrounds the weeklies?
5. What is the difference between patriotism and national loyalty for Orwell?
6. What are some of the national characteristics of England?
7. What does Orwell realize when one of the Senegalese soldiers looks at him with wide, wondering eyes?
8. What do Gandhi's methods of non-violence require from the government?
9. According to Orwell, what does the press consider about atrocities?
10. What is included in boys' weeklies?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)