|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is at the top of the social pyramid in Marrakech?
(a) Rich merchants.
(b) Rich farmers.
(c) Army commanders.
(d) English imperialists.
2. How did the British feel about Gandhi?
(a) They feared him.
(b) They respected him.
(c) They favored him.
(d) They honored him.
3. Which religious type, in Marrakech, is crowded into restricted areas?
4. When does Orwell meet Miller?
5. Orwells says that the political ______ is able to create or dismiss war's happenings to fit the current political atmosphere's needs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Orwell point to as a negative example of what Gandhi was trying to promote?
2. Orwell says that no book is entirely free from what?
3. The Spanish Civil War was essentially a(n) _______ war.
4. Orwell watches a troop of ______ Senegalese soldiers walk by him in Marrakech.
5. The dialogue in Miller's novel is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orwell realize when one of the Senegalese soldiers looks at him with wide, wondering eyes?
2. What comment that Orwell makes about the weeklies indicates an assumed gender distinction?
3. What is the real debate, that Orwell mentions, that surrounds the weeklies?
4. What is a Yank Mag?
5. Why did the British government look favorably on Gandhi?
6. Describe the poor in Marrakech.
7. What does the Italian militiaman symbolize for Orwell?
8. What is the difference between patriotism and national loyalty for Orwell?
9. What are the characters in "Tropic of Cancer" like?
10. What do Gandhi's methods of non-violence require from the government?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)