|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell believes that war is necessarily what?
2. The Yank Mags focus on what?
3. What is the first reason that writers might be compelled to write?
(a) They want to have influence.
(b) They want to earn money.
(c) They want to be talked about.
(d) The want to be seen.
4. All Chinese, in "Gem" and "Magent," wear what?
(a) A robe.
(b) A sword.
(c) A mask.
(d) A pigtail.
5. Non-objective truth, according to Orwell, is a diagnostic symptom of what?
(a) A communist state.
(b) A democratic state.
(c) A totalitarian state.
(d) A republican state.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell describes himself as what?
2. What city is "Tropic of Cancer" set in?
3. Orwell says that, since 1936, everything he has written has been what?
4. Orwell says that no armed force, just perceptions, maintain what?
5. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
2. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
3. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
4. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
5. What does Orwell conclude about the differences in nationality in England?
6. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
7. What are the characters in "Tropic of Cancer" like?
8. Why did the British government look favorably on Gandhi?
9. What comment that Orwell makes about the weeklies indicates an assumed gender distinction?
10. What are some of the experiences that Orwell remembers about the Spanish Civil War?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)