|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, does Orwell believe, is stronger than class hatred in England?
(a) Cultural similarities.
2. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
3. Orwell believes that the ruling class of England is what?
(a) Not teachable.
4. When Orwell writes the essay, "England Your England," German planes are bombing where?
5. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
(a) The Fascists.
(b) The Socialists.
(c) The Empirists.
(d) The Elitists.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which religious type, in Marrakech, is crowded into restricted areas?
2. Boys' Weekly is often described as "penny ________" what?
3. English citizens, according to Orwell, have a love of what, but not because of aesthetics?
4. Gandhi was part of what country's independence movement?
5. Who supported Franco's defeat in the Spanish Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
2. What are some of the national characteristics of England?
3. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
4. What are the characters in "Tropic of Cancer" like?
5. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
6. What does the title "England Your England" indicate about Orwell's feelings for England?
7. What does the Italian militiaman symbolize for Orwell?
8. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi?
9. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
10. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)