|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell says that all successful people share his desire for what?
(a) Receiving attention.
2. Who is the most reliable enemy of Fascism?
(a) The elite class.
(b) The working class.
(c) The poor.
(d) The middle-class.
3. Gandhi believed in what dietary principle?
(c) Gluten-free diets.
4. The stories in the boys' weeklies are ______ and _________.
(a) Complex and stagnant.
(b) Realistic and humorous.
(c) Fanciful and stylized.
(d) Basic and simple.
5. What kind of park does Orwell sit in when he feeds the antelope?
(a) State park.
(b) Wilderness park.
(c) Safari park.
(d) City park.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Orwell meet Miller?
2. Who was the leader of Russia at the time of the Spanish Civil War?
3. Orwell watches a troop of ______ Senegalese soldiers walk by him in Marrakech.
4. Orwell questions whether Gandhi truly understood the nature of what?
5. Who does most of the work on the farms in Marrakech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
2. What are some of the national characteristics of England?
3. What is included in boys' weeklies?
4. What does Orwell conclude about the differences in nationality in England?
5. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
6. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
7. What do Gandhi's methods of non-violence require from the government?
8. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
9. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
10. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)