|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwells says that the political ______ is able to create or dismiss war's happenings to fit the current political atmosphere's needs.
2. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
(c) First-person narrative.
3. The "Gem" and "Magnet" have been in continuous publication for over how long?
(a) 50 years.
(b) 30 years.
(c) 60 years.
(d) 40 years.
4. Orwell says that, since 1936, everything he has written has been what?
5. How did the British feel about Gandhi?
(a) They favored him.
(b) They honored him.
(c) They feared him.
(d) They respected him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell believes that what are perpetrated by all sides in nearly all wars?
2. English national characteristics include a lack of what type of inclination?
3. Orwell believes that revolution and warfare make people behave how?
4. The officers of the Senegalese soldiers are not marching, they are what?
5. Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia," has a distinctly _______ feel.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
2. What do Gandhi's methods of non-violence require from the government?
3. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
4. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
5. Describe the poor in Marrakech.
6. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
7. What does the Italian militiaman symbolize for Orwell?
8. What are the characters in "Tropic of Cancer" like?
9. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
10. According to Orwell, what does the press consider about atrocities?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)