|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
(a) The Fascists.
(b) The Empirists.
(c) The Socialists.
(d) The Elitists.
2. How did Gandhi feel about the British?
(a) He didn't like them.
(b) He was friends with them.
(c) He valued their opinion.
(d) He despised them.
3. Orwells says that the political ______ is able to create or dismiss war's happenings to fit the current political atmosphere's needs.
4. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
(d) First-person narrative.
5. Gandhi's methods presupposed that the British regime would react in what type of manner?
Short Answer Questions
1. English national characteristics include a lack of what type of inclination?
2. The officers of the Senegalese soldiers are not marching, they are what?
3. The "Gem" and "Magnet" have been in continuous publication for over how long?
4. Orwell believes that war is necessarily what?
5. Orwell questions whether Gandhi truly understood the nature of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Orwell give the municipal employee bread?
2. Who does Miller write about in "Tropic of Cancer"?
3. What does the Italian militiaman symbolize for Orwell?
4. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
5. What is the difference between patriotism and national loyalty for Orwell?
6. What does the title "England Your England" indicate about Orwell's feelings for England?
7. What comment that Orwell makes about the weeklies indicates an assumed gender distinction?
8. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
9. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
10. What are the characters in "Tropic of Cancer" like?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)