|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "Blitz" of World War II?
(a) The invasion of Germany.
(b) The sea-war.
(c) The invasion of Russia.
(d) The air-war.
2. Who is Bingo?
(a) The physical education teacher.
(b) The headmistress.
(c) The school nurse.
(d) The smallest student.
3. Orwell believes that Dickens is more than an author, he is a what?
4. Kipling believes that there is what type of law, that he considers morally right?
5. What type of literature does Kipling write?
(a) Short stories.
(c) Serial stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the elephant after Orwell shoots all his elephant rifle ammunition at it?
2. Dickens believes that society's ills are partially due to what?
3. Among the poorer students, illnesses are considered to be be a form of what?
4. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
5. Dickens is not what type of writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Orwell refer to Kipling's poetry as "good bad poetry"?
2. What is "bad English writing," according to Orwell?
3. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
4. What is the plot of "No Orchids for Miss Blandish"?
5. What is Orwell's motivation for shooting the elephant?
6. Why is bad English an excellent vehicle for political speech?
7. How are the Raffles novels and "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" similar?
8. What does Orwell conclude about Dickens's solution for societal ills, at the end of the essay?
9. Why does Orwell not consider Dickens a revolutionary writer?
10. What does the typical Dickens novel focus on?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)