|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell believes that children have no sense of ______ and therefore cannot judge things for what they are.
2. Raffles is considered a gentleman _______.
3. In what country is Moulmein?
(a) Lower Burma.
(b) Lower India.
(c) Lower Arabia.
(d) Lower Pakistan.
4. Orwell believes that Kipling's poetry is remembered because of what?
(a) The subject matter.
(b) The portrayal of values.
(c) The tonal qualities to the writing.
(d) The lyrical way it is written.
5. Orwell leaves the scene of the elephant shooting feeling what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Dickens treats all petty officials with what?
2. Kipling believes that there is what type of law, that he considers morally right?
3. Dickens feels that _________ success is paramount.
4. Orwell believes that automatic and uncritical thought does what to language?
5. In Moulmein, Orwell serves in what capacity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Raffles novels and "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" similar?
2. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
3. Why does Orwell not consider Dickens a revolutionary writer?
4. What is a Yank Mag?
5. Why is Orwell hated in Moulmein?
6. Describe Orwell's Sancho Panza view of life?
7. What is Orwell's motivation for shooting the elephant?
8. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
9. Why is bad English an excellent vehicle for political speech?
10. What do nearly all reviewers of Dickens's work agree on?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)