|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many sections is the essay on Orwell's school experiences divided into?
2. With what accent do all of Dickens's heroes speak?
(b) Dock worker.
3. For Dickens, work is what?
(a) An issue of money.
(b) An event that happens elsewhere.
(c) A moral thing.
(d) Something that happens on occasion.
4. How many scholarships does Orwell win?
5. Kipling strongly identifies with what class?
(a) The official ruling class.
(b) The poor class.
(c) The laboring class.
(d) The middle class.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell finds it remarkable that Dickens attacked everyone without __________ anybody.
2. How many shots does Orwell fire before approaching the elephant?
3. The premise of "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" is that everyone seeks to increase what?
4. Who delivers the beatings to Orwell for wetting his bed?
5. What is Crossgates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Kipling's poetry resonate with middle-class readers?
2. What, according to Orwell, do the various deficiencies in Dickens's novels lead a person to conclude?
3. What are some of the simple pleasures Orwell remembers from school?
4. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
5. How are the Raffles novels and "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" similar?
6. What is the plot of "No Orchids for Miss Blandish"?
7. What is "bad English writing," according to Orwell?
8. What role does Orwell believe his past experiences have played in his life?
9. Why does Orwell believe that Dickens is a moral writer, and not a political writer?
10. Why does Orwell refer to Kipling's poetry as "good bad poetry"?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)