|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. McGill's postcards are designed to get what?
(a) A laugh.
2. Why does Orwell shoot the elephant?
(a) He was in danger.
(b) It ran at him.
(c) It was clearly wild.
(d) Peer pressure.
3. What is one of the schools that Crossgates graduates attend?
4. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
5. What is depicted on McGill postcards that is, by definition, humorous?
Short Answer Questions
1. Dickens suggests that if man would be decent, then _________ would be decent.
2. What is the "Blitz" of World War II?
3. Dickens focuses on the institutions of what?
4. Kipling's ideals result in poetry that do what to junior officers in the military?
5. The basic premise of the postcards that deal with marriage is that marriage benefits who?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the plot of "No Orchids for Miss Blandish"?
2. What does the subsequent investigation find regarding Orwell's shooting of the elephant?
3. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
4. What role does Orwell believe his past experiences have played in his life?
5. What does the typical Dickens novel focus on?
6. What are the common writing errors that Orwell enumerates in his "Politics and the English Language" essay?
7. How is the post-Hitler world view of law different from Kipling's?
8. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
9. Describe Orwell's Sancho Panza view of life?
10. What is Orwell's intention when he leaves his station to look for the elephant?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)