|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dickens believes that what type of children shouldn't have to work long shifts in crushing labor?
2. What is Crossgates?
(a) A technical school.
(b) A finishing school.
(c) A boarding school.
(d) A day school.
3. In general, Orwell believes that bad English ______ the language of meaning.
4. Dickens believes that society's ills are partially due to what?
(a) Lack of history.
(b) Lack of government.
(c) Lack of morals.
(d) Lack of families.
5. Is Donald McGill a real person?
(a) It depends on who you ask.
(b) No one knows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the common writing errors that Orwell points out in his essay?
2. Orwell says that Dickens never wrote of what?
3. How man people gather to watch Orwell find the elephant?
4. According to Orwell, how does Kipling view life?
5. What is the name for an entire phrase that stands for single words?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Orwell refer to Kipling's poetry as "good bad poetry"?
2. Who is Raffles?
3. What is "bad English writing," according to Orwell?
4. What do nearly all reviewers of Dickens's work agree on?
5. What does Orwell announce after his first beating?
6. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
7. What did Kipling's romantic ideas about England and the Empire result in?
8. Why is bad English an excellent vehicle for political speech?
9. What does Orwell conclude about Dickens's solution for societal ills, at the end of the essay?
10. What is the difference between how poor and rich students are treated at Crossgates on social occasions, such as birthdays?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)