|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Orwell first comes upon the elephant, what is it eating?
(c) Tree leaves.
2. Dickens feels that _________ success is paramount.
3. According to Orwell, how does Kipling view life?
4. What does Orwell remember catching at school?
(b) Chicken pox.
5. What is one of the schools that Crossgates graduates attend?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country is Moulmein?
2. How many sections is the essay on Orwell's school experiences divided into?
3. McGill's postcards are designed to get what?
4. The basic premise of the postcards that deal with marriage is that marriage benefits who?
5. McGill postcards' jokes are not witty, but are what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the subsequent investigation find regarding Orwell's shooting of the elephant?
2. What describes the purpose of the semi-illicit postcards most newsstands carry?
3. Why does Orwell not consider Dickens a revolutionary writer?
4. What did Kipling's romantic ideas about England and the Empire result in?
5. What do nearly all reviewers of Dickens's work agree on?
6. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
7. What is the difference between how poor and rich students are treated at Crossgates on social occasions, such as birthdays?
8. What is the duality of the human experience that the semi-illict postcards represents?
9. How are the Raffles novels and "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" similar?
10. What are some of the simple pleasures Orwell remembers from school?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)