|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. McGill's postcards are designed to get what?
(d) A laugh.
2. The basic premise of the postcards that deal with marriage is that marriage benefits who?
(a) Both the men and the women.
(b) Only the men.
(c) Only the women.
(d) Only the children.
3. When Orwell first comes upon the elephant, what is it eating?
(c) Tree leaves.
4. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
5. McGill postcards' jokes are not witty, but are what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bingo?
2. Who delivers the beatings to Orwell for wetting his bed?
3. What trait, of the students, determines their discipline level and what classes they can take?
4. Orwell's education at Crossgates is intended to gather him what?
5. Orwell calls the dual nature that is in all people the ________ view of life.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
2. How are the Raffles novels and "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" similar?
3. What is the fourth desire that motivates writers?
4. Why does Orwell refer to Kipling's poetry as "good bad poetry"?
5. What does the typical Dickens novel focus on?
6. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
7. Why does Orwell believe that Dickens is a moral writer, and not a political writer?
8. What is the standard joke about home life that the semi-illicit postcards use?
9. Why does Orwell give the municipal employee bread?
10. What is "bad English writing," according to Orwell?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)