|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Raffles stories glamorize what?
(a) Being a sailor.
(b) Being a soldier.
(c) Hard work.
2. Where does Orwell shoot the elephant?
(a) In the back.
(b) In the foot.
(c) In the chest.
(d) In the head.
3. When Orwell first comes upon the elephant, what is it eating?
(d) Tree leaves.
4. McGill postcards say that a man can never win what with a woman?
(a) A game.
(b) A fight.
(c) A poker game.
(d) An argument.
5. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
Short Answer Questions
1. The students at the school are told that those who are sinful will exhibit their sin by what?
2. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
3. Kipling strongly identifies with what class?
4. How does Miss Blandish die?
5. Orwell says that using bad English is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Orwell believe his past experiences have played in his life?
2. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
3. Who is Raffles?
4. What does Orwell announce after his first beating?
5. Why does Orwell refer to Kipling's poetry as "good bad poetry"?
6. What are the common writing errors that Orwell enumerates in his "Politics and the English Language" essay?
7. How is the post-Hitler world view of law different from Kipling's?
8. What did Kipling's romantic ideas about England and the Empire result in?
9. Why did Kipling's poetry resonate with middle-class readers?
10. Why has bad English been successful in the political arena?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)