|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The subsequent investigation finds that Orwell was _______ in shooting the elephant.
2. McGill postcards say that a man can never win what with a woman?
(a) A fight.
(b) A game.
(c) An argument.
(d) A poker game.
3. Dickens believes that what type of children shouldn't have to work long shifts in crushing labor?
4. In what type of print does Raffles appear?
5. The result of Orwell's translation of a verse from the Bible into typical bad English is what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Among the poorer students, illnesses are considered to be be a form of what?
2. Orwell believes that ________ corrupts thought.
3. In general, Orwell believes that bad English ______ the language of meaning.
4. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
5. The dirty postcards are a sign that people sometimes wish that society wasn't so what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the standard joke about home life that the semi-illicit postcards use?
2. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
3. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
4. What is Orwell's motivation for shooting the elephant?
5. Why has bad English been successful in the political arena?
6. Why is bad English an excellent vehicle for political speech?
7. Why does Orwell refer to Kipling's poetry as "good bad poetry"?
8. How is the post-Hitler world view of law different from Kipling's?
9. What is the difference between how poor and rich students are treated at Crossgates on social occasions, such as birthdays?
10. What are the common writing errors that Orwell enumerates in his "Politics and the English Language" essay?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)