|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. McGill postcards say that a man can never win what with a woman?
(a) A poker game.
(b) A fight.
(c) An argument.
(d) A game.
2. The McGill postcards say that no marriage is what?
3. The Raffles stories glamorize what?
(b) Being a soldier.
(c) Being a sailor.
(d) Hard work.
4. Dickens views revolutions as what?
5. To a modern sensibility, much of Kipling's philosophy is what?
(b) Common place.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell says that Dickens never wrote of what?
2. The subsequent investigation finds that Orwell was _______ in shooting the elephant.
3. What is one of the schools that Crossgates graduates attend?
4. How man people gather to watch Orwell find the elephant?
5. Dickens did not write about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to Orwell, do the various deficiencies in Dickens's novels lead a person to conclude?
2. What does the inside of the whale represent to Orwell?
3. Who is Raffles?
4. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
5. What is Orwell's motivation for shooting the elephant?
6. Why has bad English been successful in the political arena?
7. How has Orwell attempted to make political writing an art form?
8. What is one of the remarkable observations that Orwell makes about the local conditions in Marrakech?
9. What is the difference between patriotism and national loyalty for Orwell?
10. What comment that Orwell makes about the weeklies indicates an assumed gender distinction?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)