|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kipling's ideals result in poetry that do what to junior officers in the military?
(a) De-humanizes them.
(b) Praises them.
(c) Makes them heroes.
(d) Ridicules them.
2. Dickens believes that what type of children shouldn't have to work long shifts in crushing labor?
3. How many scholarships does Orwell win?
4. Kipling provides nearly the only literary description of much of nineteenth-century where?
5. Is Donald McGill a real person?
(b) It depends on who you ask.
(d) No one knows.
Short Answer Questions
1. When political truth is difficult, meaningless ________ becomes acceptable.
2. The Raffles stories glamorize what?
3. How is Raffles killed?
4. Once Orwell won his scholarships, the school considered him what?
5. At what age do the McGill postcards imply that sex-appeal evaporates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
2. What is included in boys' weeklies?
3. Why did the British government look favorably on Gandhi?
4. How has Orwell attempted to make political writing an art form?
5. What is the real debate, that Orwell mentions, that surrounds the weeklies?
6. What are the common writing errors that Orwell enumerates in his "Politics and the English Language" essay?
7. Why is bad English an excellent vehicle for political speech?
8. What are some of the simple pleasures Orwell remembers from school?
9. What role does Orwell believe his past experiences have played in his life?
10. How are the Raffles novels and "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" similar?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)