|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the elephant after Orwell shoots all his elephant rifle ammunition at it?
(a) It spits up blood.
(b) It dies.
(c) It is still breathing.
(d) It wanders off.
2. How man people gather to watch Orwell find the elephant?
3. The Raffles stories glamorize what?
(a) Being a soldier.
(c) Hard work.
(d) Being a sailor.
4. Dickens views revolutions as what?
5. Orwell calls the dual nature that is in all people the ________ view of life.
(a) Sancho Panza.
(b) Sancho Piazza.
(c) Sancho Plazas.
(d) Sancho Pureats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the schools that Crossgates graduates attend?
2. For Dickens, work is what?
3. The McGill postcards say that no marriage is what?
4. With what accent do all of Dickens's heroes speak?
5. What is one of the common writing errors that Orwell points out in his essay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
2. What are the common writing errors that Orwell enumerates in his "Politics and the English Language" essay?
3. What role does Orwell believe his past experiences have played in his life?
4. What is the plot of "No Orchids for Miss Blandish"?
5. Why is bad English an excellent vehicle for political speech?
6. Who is Raffles?
7. What are some of the simple pleasures Orwell remembers from school?
8. Why does Orwell refer to Kipling's poetry as "good bad poetry"?
9. Why does Orwell believe that Dickens is a moral writer, and not a political writer?
10. How is the post-Hitler world view of law different from Kipling's?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)