|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, how does Kipling view life?
2. Once Orwell won his scholarships, the school considered him what?
(a) A credit to the school.
(d) In debt to the school.
3. Dickens suggests that if man would be decent, then _________ would be decent.
4. How many scholarships does Orwell win?
5. Dickens views revolutions as what?
Short Answer Questions
1. The McGill postcards say that no marriage is what?
2. Dickens believes that society's ills are partially due to what?
3. In what country is Moulmein?
4. Orwell believes that children have no sense of ______ and therefore cannot judge things for what they are.
5. Who does Orwell send to get an elephant rifle before he goes looking for the elephant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Raffles?
2. What is Orwell's intention when he leaves his station to look for the elephant?
3. Why does Orwell not consider Dickens a revolutionary writer?
4. Why is bad English an excellent vehicle for political speech?
5. Why does Orwell believe that Dickens is a moral writer, and not a political writer?
6. What is the duality of the human experience that the semi-illict postcards represents?
7. How are the Raffles novels and "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" similar?
8. Why is Orwell hated in Moulmein?
9. What does the typical Dickens novel focus on?
10. What did Kipling's romantic ideas about England and the Empire result in?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)