|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dickens treats all petty officials with what?
2. Kipling feels that suppressing and controlling native people is what?
3. At what time period does Raffles capture the public's imagination?
(a) Beginning of the 20th century.
(b) Beginning of the 19th century.
(c) Beginning of the 17th century.
(d) Beginning of the 18th century.
4. How is Raffles killed?
(a) In jail.
(b) By drowning.
(c) In battle.
(d) In a fight.
5. The result of Orwell's translation of a verse from the Bible into typical bad English is what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
2. Orwell leaves the scene of the elephant shooting feeling what?
3. Dickens was considered a social _______.
4. Who is Bingo?
5. Once Orwell won his scholarships, the school considered him what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Raffles novels and "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" similar?
2. What is the standard joke about home life that the semi-illicit postcards use?
3. What is Orwell's intention when he leaves his station to look for the elephant?
4. What are the common writing errors that Orwell enumerates in his "Politics and the English Language" essay?
5. What are some of the religious beliefs that Gandhi held?
6. What must writers avoid, in order not to destroy their impulse to write?
7. How has Orwell attempted to make political writing an art form?
8. How were the authors of the 1930s able to write about their communist politics?
9. What is the duality of the human experience that the semi-illict postcards represents?
10. What does Orwell believe about the historical accounts of the Spanish Civil War?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)