|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
2. Raffles is considered a gentleman _______.
3. What does Orwell remember catching at school?
(a) Chicken pox.
4. The McGill postcards say that no marriage is what?
5. What is the "Blitz" of World War II?
(a) The invasion of Germany.
(b) The sea-war.
(c) The air-war.
(d) The invasion of Russia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who delivers the beatings to Orwell for wetting his bed?
2. Dickens is against trade _______.
3. Raffles is a cricketer who excels as a what?
4. How many cartridges does Orwell get with his elephant rifle?
5. How does the school characterize bed-wetting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Orwell not consider Dickens a revolutionary writer?
2. Why is bad English an excellent vehicle for political speech?
3. Why does Orwell refer to Kipling's poetry as "good bad poetry"?
4. What does Orwell announce after his first beating?
5. Why has bad English been successful in the political arena?
6. What is the standard joke about home life that the semi-illicit postcards use?
7. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
8. What happens when Raffles is caught in the strange circumstances?
9. What are the common writing errors that Orwell enumerates in his "Politics and the English Language" essay?
10. What is the difference between how poor and rich students are treated at Crossgates on social occasions, such as birthdays?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)