|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell finds it remarkable that Dickens attacked everyone without __________ anybody.
(a) Making enemies of.
2. The basic premise of the postcards that deal with marriage is that marriage benefits who?
(a) Only the women.
(b) Both the men and the women.
(c) Only the children.
(d) Only the men.
3. Kipling feels that suppressing and controlling native people is what?
4. Orwell believes that good English writing demands what?
5. What breaks during Orwell's second beating?
(a) The stick.
(b) The belt.
(c) The wood.
(d) The cane.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what type of print does Raffles appear?
2. The Raffles stories glamorize what?
3. Miss Blandish is the daughter of whom?
4. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
5. What trait, of the students, determines their discipline level and what classes they can take?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the post-Hitler world view of law different from Kipling's?
2. Why did Kipling's poetry resonate with middle-class readers?
3. What is the plot of "No Orchids for Miss Blandish"?
4. Why has bad English been successful in the political arena?
5. Describe Orwell's Sancho Panza view of life?
6. What does Orwell conclude about Dickens's solution for societal ills, at the end of the essay?
7. What describes the purpose of the semi-illicit postcards most newsstands carry?
8. What is the standard joke about home life that the semi-illicit postcards use?
9. What does the typical Dickens novel focus on?
10. What do nearly all reviewers of Dickens's work agree on?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)