|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. English national characteristics include a lack of what type of inclination?
2. Orwell believes that the ruling class of England is what?
(a) Not teachable.
3. All Chinese, in "Gem" and "Magent," wear what?
(a) A robe.
(b) A mask.
(c) A pigtail.
(d) A sword.
4. Orwell believes that the intra-party struggles of the Spanish ______ are intricate, distant, and insignificant.
5. What does Orwell feed to the antelope?
6. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
7. Gandhi became a political figure because he experienced what?
8. Orwell believes that revolution and warfare make people behave how?
9. Orwell says that writers are usually vain and what?
10. What is the first reason that writers might be compelled to write?
(a) They want to earn money.
(b) They want to have influence.
(c) They want to be talked about.
(d) The want to be seen.
11. Who is at the top of the social pyramid in Marrakech?
(a) Rich merchants.
(b) Army commanders.
(c) Rich farmers.
(d) English imperialists.
12. Orwell says that all successful people share his desire for what?
(b) Receiving attention.
13. Where does Orwell point to as a negative example of what Gandhi was trying to promote?
14. Orwell says that, since 1936, everything he has written has been what?
15. Which is not a title Orwell lists as one of the boys' weeklies?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do boys' weeklies do to foreigners in their stories?
2. Who is the most reliable enemy of Fascism?
3. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
4. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
5. Totalitarian Russia is associated with what type of political beliefs?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)