|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell rejects, specifically, which of Gandhi's principles as a spiritual practice?
(a) Friend principles.
(b) Political principles.
(c) Dietary principles.
(d) Material belongings principles.
2. Gandhi believed that he should avoid having what type of friends?
(a) Spiteful friends.
(b) Giving friends.
(c) Religious friends.
(d) Close friends.
3. Orwell says that all successful people share his desire for what?
(a) Receiving attention.
4. What kind of park does Orwell sit in when he feeds the antelope?
(a) City park.
(b) Safari park.
(c) State park.
(d) Wilderness park.
5. Orwell says that no armed force, just perceptions, maintain what?
(a) The social structure.
(b) The condition of the children.
(c) The condition of the women.
(d) The enslavement of the locals.
6. Non-objective truth, according to Orwell, is a diagnostic symptom of what?
(a) A communist state.
(b) A democratic state.
(c) A republican state.
(d) A totalitarian state.
7. Who does most of the work on the farms in Marrakech?
(a) The slaves.
(b) The men.
(c) The women.
(d) The children.
8. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
9. Orwells says that the political ______ is able to create or dismiss war's happenings to fit the current political atmosphere's needs.
10. Orwell doesn't believe that Gandhi's political beliefs can be separated from what?
(a) His political actions.
(b) His religious beliefs.
(c) His duty to God.
(d) His duty to his people.
11. Orwell believes that revolution and warfare make people behave how?
12. The Yank Mags focus on what?
13. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
(a) Political views.
(b) Political meanings.
(c) Political conviction.
(d) Political ideology.
14. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
15. Orwell believes that the ruling class of England is what?
(b) Not teachable.
Short Answer Questions
1. The main serialized stories of both "Gem" and "Magnet" focus on what?
2. Orwell says that England could not become Germany any more than a turnip seed could grow into what?
3. The stories in the boys' weeklies are ______ and _________.
4. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
5. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)