|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
(a) Political meanings.
(b) Political conviction.
(c) Political views.
(d) Political ideology.
2. The main serialized stories of both "Gem" and "Magnet" focus on what?
(b) Home life.
(d) School life.
3. Early in his life, Gandhi tried to _______ British culture.
4. Orwell says that all successful people share his desire for what?
(c) Receiving attention.
5. Orwell says that no armed force, just perceptions, maintain what?
(a) The condition of the children.
(b) The social structure.
(c) The condition of the women.
(d) The enslavement of the locals.
6. Orwell's early attempts at writing were focused on what type of poems?
7. Non-objective truth, according to Orwell, is a diagnostic symptom of what?
(a) A totalitarian state.
(b) A republican state.
(c) A democratic state.
(d) A communist state.
8. Orwell rejects, specifically, which of Gandhi's principles as a spiritual practice?
(a) Material belongings principles.
(b) Political principles.
(c) Friend principles.
(d) Dietary principles.
9. Gandhi believed in what dietary principle?
(d) Gluten-free diets.
10. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
11. What kind of employee tells Orwell that he, instead of the antelope, could eat the food Orwell is giving to the antelope?
(a) Municipal employee.
(b) State employee.
(c) Animal caretaker employee.
(d) Park employee.
12. Who supported Franco's defeat in the Spanish Civil War?
13. Orwell believes that revolution and warfare make people behave how?
14. In "Why I Write," Orwell examines his ________ _______ in writing.
(a) Personal interest.
(b) Personal feelings.
(c) Personal bias.
(d) Personal history.
15. When does Orwell meet Miller?
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell describes himself as what?
2. Gandhi was part of what country's independence movement?
3. England has a vast division between what?
4. Where does Orwell point to as a negative example of what Gandhi was trying to promote?
5. Orwell believes that the ruling class of England is what?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)