|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. English citizens, according to Orwell, have a love of what, but not because of aesthetics?
2. Who was the leader of Russia at the time of the Spanish Civil War?
3. Orwell says that he has generally only written solid prose when his political purpose was what?
(a) Experienced first-hand.
(c) Well defined.
(d) Democratically motivated.
4. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
5. Non-objective truth, according to Orwell, is a diagnostic symptom of what?
(a) A communist state.
(b) A totalitarian state.
(c) A republican state.
(d) A democratic state.
6. Orwell believes that stringent social conformism means that the greatest writers write what type of works?
(a) Short stories.
7. How did the British feel about Gandhi?
(a) They feared him.
(b) They respected him.
(c) They favored him.
(d) They honored him.
8. Orwell says that no book is entirely free from what?
(a) Personal influences.
(b) Individual history.
(c) Political bias.
(d) Comic relief.
9. Orwell describes himself as what?
10. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
(d) First-person narrative.
11. Totalitarian Russia is associated with what type of political beliefs?
12. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
(a) The Fascists.
(b) The Socialists.
(c) The Empirists.
(d) The Elitists.
13. All Chinese, in "Gem" and "Magent," wear what?
(a) A sword.
(b) A pigtail.
(c) A robe.
(d) A mask.
14. The Yank Mags focus on what?
15. Gandhi's methods presupposed that the British regime would react in what type of manner?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of employee tells Orwell that he, instead of the antelope, could eat the food Orwell is giving to the antelope?
2. England has a vast division between what?
3. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
4. Orwell believes that what are perpetrated by all sides in nearly all wars?
5. Orwell considers, in "England Your England," how England is composed of varied what?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)