|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell believes that the ruling class of England is what?
(b) Not teachable.
2. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
3. Gandhi believed that he should avoid having what type of friends?
(a) Giving friends.
(b) Close friends.
(c) Spiteful friends.
(d) Religious friends.
4. Orwell says that writers are usually vain and what?
5. According to Orwell, the English common people exhibit a type of ________ feeling.
6. What do boys' weeklies do to foreigners in their stories?
(a) Stereotype them.
(b) Enslave them.
(c) Ignore them.
(d) Destroy them.
7. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
(b) First-person narrative.
8. Who is at the top of the social pyramid in Marrakech?
(a) Rich farmers.
(b) Rich merchants.
(c) Army commanders.
(d) English imperialists.
9. What kind of employee tells Orwell that he, instead of the antelope, could eat the food Orwell is giving to the antelope?
(a) Park employee.
(b) Municipal employee.
(c) Animal caretaker employee.
(d) State employee.
10. All Chinese, in "Gem" and "Magent," wear what?
(a) A sword.
(b) A mask.
(c) A robe.
(d) A pigtail.
11. Gandhi believed in what dietary principle?
(a) Gluten-free diets.
12. What does Orwell feed to the antelope?
13. Which religious type, in Marrakech, is crowded into restricted areas?
14. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
15. Orwell believes that stringent social conformism means that the greatest writers write what type of works?
(c) Short stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age are the boy's weeklies aimed at?
2. What, does Orwell believe, is stronger than class hatred in England?
3. When Orwell sees an enemy running along in full view, what is the enemy holding with his hands?
4. Orwell says that no book is entirely free from what?
5. Orwell considers, in "England Your England," how England is composed of varied what?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)