|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the English people support the brutal and discriminatory laws?
(a) They value the rule of law.
(b) They don't know anything better.
(c) They think it has always been this way.
(d) They have no choice.
2. Orwell questions whether Gandhi truly understood the nature of what?
3. English national characteristics include a lack of what type of inclination?
4. What city is "Tropic of Cancer" set in?
5. Orwell says that no armed force, just perceptions, maintain what?
(a) The enslavement of the locals.
(b) The condition of the women.
(c) The condition of the children.
(d) The social structure.
6. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
7. All Chinese, in "Gem" and "Magent," wear what?
(a) A robe.
(b) A sword.
(c) A mask.
(d) A pigtail.
8. Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia," has a distinctly _______ feel.
9. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
10. In "Why I Write," Orwell examines his ________ _______ in writing.
(a) Personal bias.
(b) Personal history.
(c) Personal interest.
(d) Personal feelings.
11. Who does most of the work on the farms in Marrakech?
(a) The men.
(b) The children.
(c) The women.
(d) The slaves.
12. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
(a) The Elitists.
(b) The Socialists.
(c) The Fascists.
(d) The Empirists.
13. According to Orwell, the English common people exhibit a type of ________ feeling.
14. What kind of park does Orwell sit in when he feeds the antelope?
(a) State park.
(b) Wilderness park.
(c) Safari park.
(d) City park.
15. Orwells says that the political ______ is able to create or dismiss war's happenings to fit the current political atmosphere's needs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, does Orwell believe, is stronger than class hatred in England?
2. Orwell says that he has generally only written solid prose when his political purpose was what?
3. The main serialized stories of both "Gem" and "Magnet" focus on what?
4. Gandhi believed that he should avoid having what type of friends?
5. Non-objective truth, according to Orwell, is a diagnostic symptom of what?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)