|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the most reliable enemy of Fascism?
(a) The poor.
(b) The elite class.
(c) The middle-class.
(d) The working class.
2. What city is "Tropic of Cancer" set in?
3. The main serialized stories of both "Gem" and "Magnet" focus on what?
(a) Home life.
(b) School life.
4. England has a vast division between what?
(a) The rich and the poor.
(b) The north and the south.
(c) The east and the west.
(d) The noble and the common.
5. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
6. Orwell says that England could not become Germany any more than a turnip seed could grow into what?
(a) An onion.
(b) A flower.
(c) A parsnip.
(d) A tree.
7. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
(a) The Socialists.
(b) The Empirists.
(c) The Elitists.
(d) The Fascists.
8. The dialogue in Miller's novel is what?
9. Which religious type, in Marrakech, is crowded into restricted areas?
10. Gandhi became a political figure because he experienced what?
11. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
(a) Political ideology.
(b) Political views.
(c) Political conviction.
(d) Political meanings.
12. Miller telld Orwell that his goal of direct participation in the Spanish Civil War was what?
13. According to Orwell, the English common people exhibit a type of ________ feeling.
14. What kind of park does Orwell sit in when he feeds the antelope?
(a) City park.
(b) Safari park.
(c) Wilderness park.
(d) State park.
15. When Orwell writes the essay, "England Your England," German planes are bombing where?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of employee tells Orwell that he, instead of the antelope, could eat the food Orwell is giving to the antelope?
2. Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia," has a distinctly _______ feel.
3. Orwell thinks that the antelope looks like it would be good to do what to?
4. Orwell believes that stringent social conformism means that the greatest writers write what type of works?
5. Early in his life, Gandhi tried to _______ British culture.
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)