|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is at the top of the social pyramid in Marrakech?
(a) Army commanders.
(b) English imperialists.
(c) Rich merchants.
(d) Rich farmers.
2. What kind of employee tells Orwell that he, instead of the antelope, could eat the food Orwell is giving to the antelope?
(a) Park employee.
(b) Municipal employee.
(c) Animal caretaker employee.
(d) State employee.
3. English national characteristics include a lack of what type of inclination?
4. Orwell believes that stringent social conformism means that the greatest writers write what type of works?
(c) Short stories.
5. Who was the leader of Russia at the time of the Spanish Civil War?
6. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
7. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
8. When Orwell writes the essay, "England Your England," German planes are bombing where?
9. Gandhi believed in what dietary principle?
(c) Gluten-free diets.
10. What age are the boy's weeklies aimed at?
11. At what age did Orwell know he was going to be a writer?
(a) A very young age.
(b) A school-aged boy.
(d) A teenager.
12. Who is the most reliable enemy of Fascism?
(a) The elite class.
(b) The poor.
(c) The middle-class.
(d) The working class.
13. According to Orwell, the English common people exhibit a type of ________ feeling.
14. Orwell believes that the ruling class of England is what?
(c) Not teachable.
15. Orwell says that, since 1936, everything he has written has been what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Marrakech?
2. Where does Orwell point to as a negative example of what Gandhi was trying to promote?
3. The "Gem" and "Magnet" have been in continuous publication for over how long?
4. How did the British feel about Gandhi?
5. England has a vast division between what?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)