|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Totalitarian Russia is associated with what type of political beliefs?
2. When Orwell sees an enemy running along in full view, what is the enemy holding with his hands?
(a) His boots.
(b) His trousers.
(c) His grenade.
(d) His gun.
3. Orwell says that all successful people share his desire for what?
(c) Receiving attention.
4. What, does Orwell believe, is stronger than class hatred in England?
(b) Cultural similarities.
5. England has a vast division between what?
(a) The noble and the common.
(b) The north and the south.
(c) The east and the west.
(d) The rich and the poor.
6. At what age did Orwell know he was going to be a writer?
(a) A school-aged boy.
(c) A teenager.
(d) A very young age.
7. Who does most of the work on the farms in Marrakech?
(a) The men.
(b) The women.
(c) The slaves.
(d) The children.
8. What is the first reason that writers might be compelled to write?
(a) They want to be talked about.
(b) They want to have influence.
(c) They want to earn money.
(d) The want to be seen.
9. Orwell says that he has generally only written solid prose when his political purpose was what?
(a) Experienced first-hand.
(c) Democratically motivated.
(d) Well defined.
10. Orwell believes that what are perpetrated by all sides in nearly all wars?
(d) Good acts.
11. Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia," has a distinctly _______ feel.
12. Which religious type, in Marrakech, is crowded into restricted areas?
13. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
14. What age are the boy's weeklies aimed at?
15. What does Orwell feed to the antelope?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of park does Orwell sit in when he feeds the antelope?
2. What kind of employee tells Orwell that he, instead of the antelope, could eat the food Orwell is giving to the antelope?
3. Orwell says that no armed force, just perceptions, maintain what?
4. Orwell questions whether Gandhi truly understood the nature of what?
5. Where does Orwell point to as a negative example of what Gandhi was trying to promote?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)