|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Orwell point to as a negative example of what Gandhi was trying to promote?
2. What, does Orwell believe, is stronger than class hatred in England?
(a) Cultural similarities.
3. Orwell watches a troop of ______ Senegalese soldiers walk by him in Marrakech.
4. Early in his life, Gandhi tried to _______ British culture.
5. Orwell describes himself as what?
6. English citizens, according to Orwell, have a love of what, but not because of aesthetics?
7. Orwell says that writers are usually vain and what?
8. Orwell says that, since 1936, everything he has written has been what?
9. At what age did Orwell know he was going to be a writer?
(a) A school-aged boy.
(b) A teenager.
(d) A very young age.
10. The stories in the boys' weeklies are ______ and _________.
(a) Complex and stagnant.
(b) Fanciful and stylized.
(c) Basic and simple.
(d) Realistic and humorous.
11. Where is Marrakech?
(a) New Zealand.
12. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
13. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
(a) Political ideology.
(b) Political views.
(c) Political meanings.
(d) Political conviction.
14. Orwell regrets that there are no ____________ boys' weeklies.
(a) More dramatic.
(d) Better written.
15. Which is not a title Orwell lists as one of the boys' weeklies?
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia," has a distinctly _______ feel.
2. What is the first reason that writers might be compelled to write?
3. How did the British feel about Gandhi?
4. Orwell says that no book is entirely free from what?
5. Orwell considers, in "England Your England," how England is composed of varied what?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)