|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell thinks that the antelope looks like it would be good to do what to?
(a) To ride.
(b) To eat.
(c) To pet.
(d) To keep.
2. Orwell says that no book is entirely free from what?
(a) Individual history.
(b) Personal influences.
(c) Political bias.
(d) Comic relief.
3. The boys' weeklies completely lack what?
(a) Sad stories.
(b) Working-class characters.
(c) Political development.
4. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
5. Gandhi's methods presupposed that the British regime would react in what type of manner?
6. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
(a) Political ideology.
(b) Political meanings.
(c) Political conviction.
(d) Political views.
7. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
(a) The Empirists.
(b) The Fascists.
(c) The Elitists.
(d) The Socialists.
8. What kind of employee tells Orwell that he, instead of the antelope, could eat the food Orwell is giving to the antelope?
(a) Municipal employee.
(b) Park employee.
(c) State employee.
(d) Animal caretaker employee.
9. English citizens, according to Orwell, have a love of what, but not because of aesthetics?
10. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
11. Orwell believes that the ruling class of England is what?
(a) Not teachable.
12. Orwell says that writers are usually vain and what?
13. England has a vast division between what?
(a) The north and the south.
(b) The east and the west.
(c) The rich and the poor.
(d) The noble and the common.
14. Orwell questions whether Gandhi truly understood the nature of what?
15. Which is not a title Orwell lists as one of the boys' weeklies?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who supported Franco's defeat in the Spanish Civil War?
2. What, does Orwell believe, is stronger than class hatred in England?
3. Orwell rejects, specifically, which of Gandhi's principles as a spiritual practice?
4. Orwell says that no armed force, just perceptions, maintain what?
5. Orwell believes that war is necessarily what?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)