|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gandhi was part of what country's independence movement?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
2. Orwell says that no book is entirely free from what?
(a) Political bias.
(b) Individual history.
(c) Personal influences.
(d) Comic relief.
3. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
4. Which religious type, in Marrakech, is crowded into restricted areas?
5. Orwell says that writers are usually vain and what?
6. Orwell believes that revolution and warfare make people behave how?
7. Gandhi became a political figure because he experienced what?
8. Non-objective truth, according to Orwell, is a diagnostic symptom of what?
(a) A totalitarian state.
(b) A communist state.
(c) A republican state.
(d) A democratic state.
9. All Chinese, in "Gem" and "Magent," wear what?
(a) A pigtail.
(b) A sword.
(c) A mask.
(d) A robe.
10. Orwell believes that the intra-party struggles of the Spanish ______ are intricate, distant, and insignificant.
11. What kind of park does Orwell sit in when he feeds the antelope?
(a) Safari park.
(b) City park.
(c) State park.
(d) Wilderness park.
12. Who is at the top of the social pyramid in Marrakech?
(a) Rich farmers.
(b) Army commanders.
(c) Rich merchants.
(d) English imperialists.
13. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
(a) The Socialists.
(b) The Empirists.
(c) The Elitists.
(d) The Fascists.
14. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
15. Orwell doesn't believe that Gandhi's political beliefs can be separated from what?
(a) His duty to God.
(b) His religious beliefs.
(c) His political actions.
(d) His duty to his people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell believes that war is necessarily what?
2. Orwell says that, since 1936, everything he has written has been what?
3. Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia," has a distinctly _______ feel.
4. Where is Marrakech?
5. Early in his life, Gandhi tried to _______ British culture.
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)