|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Why I Write," Orwell examines his ________ _______ in writing.
(a) Personal interest.
(b) Personal bias.
(c) Personal history.
(d) Personal feelings.
2. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
(a) Political conviction.
(b) Political ideology.
(c) Political meanings.
(d) Political views.
3. Orwell's early attempts at writing were focused on what type of poems?
4. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
5. Orwell says that all successful people share his desire for what?
(c) Receiving attention.
6. What does Orwell feed to the antelope?
7. All Chinese, in "Gem" and "Magent," wear what?
(a) A mask.
(b) A robe.
(c) A sword.
(d) A pigtail.
8. Orwells says that the political ______ is able to create or dismiss war's happenings to fit the current political atmosphere's needs.
9. Orwell believes that the ruling class of England is what?
(c) Not teachable.
10. Why do the English people support the brutal and discriminatory laws?
(a) They have no choice.
(b) They value the rule of law.
(c) They think it has always been this way.
(d) They don't know anything better.
11. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
12. Who supported Franco's defeat in the Spanish Civil War?
13. What do boys' weeklies do to foreigners in their stories?
(a) Destroy them.
(b) Enslave them.
(c) Ignore them.
(d) Stereotype them.
14. Orwell thinks that the antelope looks like it would be good to do what to?
(a) To pet.
(b) To keep.
(c) To eat.
(d) To ride.
15. What is the first reason that writers might be compelled to write?
(a) They want to be talked about.
(b) They want to earn money.
(c) The want to be seen.
(d) They want to have influence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not a title Orwell lists as one of the boys' weeklies?
2. Gandhi believed that he should avoid having what type of friends?
3. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
4. The Yank Mags focus on what?
5. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)