|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the English people support the brutal and discriminatory laws?
(a) They value the rule of law.
(b) They don't know anything better.
(c) They think it has always been this way.
(d) They have no choice.
2. How did the British feel about Gandhi?
(a) They honored him.
(b) They favored him.
(c) They feared him.
(d) They respected him.
3. The "Gem" and "Magnet" have been in continuous publication for over how long?
(a) 50 years.
(b) 30 years.
(c) 40 years.
(d) 60 years.
4. What is the first reason that writers might be compelled to write?
(a) They want to earn money.
(b) The want to be seen.
(c) They want to have influence.
(d) They want to be talked about.
5. Orwell thinks that the antelope looks like it would be good to do what to?
(a) To ride.
(b) To pet.
(c) To eat.
(d) To keep.
6. What city is "Tropic of Cancer" set in?
7. Orwell believes that the ruling class of England is what?
(d) Not teachable.
8. Orwell watches a troop of ______ Senegalese soldiers walk by him in Marrakech.
9. According to Orwell, the English common people exhibit a type of ________ feeling.
10. English national characteristics include a lack of what type of inclination?
11. Most Europeans who visit Marrakech are appalled at the harsh treatment meted out to what?
(a) The cows.
(b) The donkeys.
(c) The women.
(d) The children.
12. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
(a) The Socialists.
(b) The Fascists.
(c) The Empirists.
(d) The Elitists.
13. Orwell describes himself as what?
14. All Chinese, in "Gem" and "Magent," wear what?
(a) A pigtail.
(b) A mask.
(c) A sword.
(d) A robe.
15. Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia," has a distinctly _______ feel.
Short Answer Questions
1. The stories in the boys' weeklies are ______ and _________.
2. Orwell believes that what are perpetrated by all sides in nearly all wars?
3. What does Orwell feed to the antelope?
4. Gandhi believed that he should avoid having what type of friends?
5. What kind of employee tells Orwell that he, instead of the antelope, could eat the food Orwell is giving to the antelope?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)