|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell believes that the intra-party struggles of the Spanish ______ are intricate, distant, and insignificant.
2. Orwell says that all successful people share his desire for what?
(c) Receiving attention.
3. Orwell rejects, specifically, which of Gandhi's principles as a spiritual practice?
(a) Dietary principles.
(b) Political principles.
(c) Material belongings principles.
(d) Friend principles.
4. Who is the most reliable enemy of Fascism?
(a) The middle-class.
(b) The poor.
(c) The working class.
(d) The elite class.
5. What do boys' weeklies do to foreigners in their stories?
(a) Destroy them.
(b) Ignore them.
(c) Enslave them.
(d) Stereotype them.
6. The boys' weeklies completely lack what?
(a) Working-class characters.
(b) Sad stories.
(d) Political development.
7. England has a vast division between what?
(a) The east and the west.
(b) The noble and the common.
(c) The north and the south.
(d) The rich and the poor.
8. Which is not a title Orwell lists as one of the boys' weeklies?
9. Where does Orwell point to as a negative example of what Gandhi was trying to promote?
10. All Chinese, in "Gem" and "Magent," wear what?
(a) A mask.
(b) A pigtail.
(c) A robe.
(d) A sword.
11. Orwells says that the political ______ is able to create or dismiss war's happenings to fit the current political atmosphere's needs.
12. Orwell says that no book is entirely free from what?
(a) Political bias.
(b) Individual history.
(c) Personal influences.
(d) Comic relief.
13. Orwell says that, since 1936, everything he has written has been what?
14. Boys' Weekly is often described as "penny ________" what?
15. Early in his life, Gandhi tried to _______ British culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of employee tells Orwell that he, instead of the antelope, could eat the food Orwell is giving to the antelope?
2. Who was the leader of Russia at the time of the Spanish Civil War?
3. When does Orwell meet Miller?
4. Why do the English people support the brutal and discriminatory laws?
5. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)