|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do boys' weeklies do to foreigners in their stories?
(a) Ignore them.
(b) Stereotype them.
(c) Destroy them.
(d) Enslave them.
2. Orwell believes that revolution and warfare make people behave how?
3. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
(a) First-person narrative.
4. Gandhi believed that he should avoid having what type of friends?
(a) Giving friends.
(b) Spiteful friends.
(c) Religious friends.
(d) Close friends.
5. The changes in England have been accompanied by the rapid expansion of the what?
(b) Middle class.
(c) Economic gap.
(d) Poor class.
6. The Yank Mags focus on what?
7. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
(a) The Socialists.
(b) The Empirists.
(c) The Fascists.
(d) The Elitists.
8. Boys' Weekly is often described as "penny ________" what?
9. The officers of the Senegalese soldiers are not marching, they are what?
(b) Riding in a jeep.
(d) Riding in a sedan chair.
10. Who was the leader of Russia at the time of the Spanish Civil War?
11. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
12. In "Why I Write," Orwell examines his ________ _______ in writing.
(a) Personal history.
(b) Personal interest.
(c) Personal bias.
(d) Personal feelings.
13. Orwell says that all successful people share his desire for what?
(a) Receiving attention.
14. The boys' weeklies completely lack what?
(a) Working-class characters.
(c) Political development.
(d) Sad stories.
15. All Chinese, in "Gem" and "Magent," wear what?
(a) A sword.
(b) A mask.
(c) A pigtail.
(d) A robe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell says that he has generally only written solid prose when his political purpose was what?
2. Orwell says that no book is entirely free from what?
3. The Spanish Civil War was essentially a(n) _______ war.
4. What age are the boy's weeklies aimed at?
5. The most marked characteristic of England, according to Orwell, is what?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)