|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All Chinese, in "Gem" and "Magent," wear what?
(a) A mask.
(b) A robe.
(c) A pigtail.
(d) A sword.
2. When Orwell sees an enemy running along in full view, what is the enemy holding with his hands?
(a) His gun.
(b) His trousers.
(c) His boots.
(d) His grenade.
3. What kind of employee tells Orwell that he, instead of the antelope, could eat the food Orwell is giving to the antelope?
(a) Animal caretaker employee.
(b) State employee.
(c) Municipal employee.
(d) Park employee.
4. Orwell doesn't believe that Gandhi's political beliefs can be separated from what?
(a) His duty to God.
(b) His duty to his people.
(c) His political actions.
(d) His religious beliefs.
5. How did the British feel about Gandhi?
(a) They honored him.
(b) They favored him.
(c) They respected him.
(d) They feared him.
6. Orwells says that the political ______ is able to create or dismiss war's happenings to fit the current political atmosphere's needs.
7. When Orwell writes the essay, "England Your England," German planes are bombing where?
8. Who is at the top of the social pyramid in Marrakech?
(a) Army commanders.
(b) Rich farmers.
(c) English imperialists.
(d) Rich merchants.
9. The Yank Mags focus on what?
10. Orwell says that all successful people share his desire for what?
(a) Receiving attention.
11. Orwell thinks that the antelope looks like it would be good to do what to?
(a) To ride.
(b) To eat.
(c) To pet.
(d) To keep.
12. Orwell believes that the ruling class of England is what?
(a) Not teachable.
13. Orwell questions whether Gandhi truly understood the nature of what?
14. The most marked characteristic of England, according to Orwell, is what?
(a) Its monarchy.
(b) Its spirituality.
(c) Its hypocrisy.
(d) Its gentleness.
15. The boys' weeklies completely lack what?
(b) Sad stories.
(c) Political development.
(d) Working-class characters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
2. At what age did Orwell know he was going to be a writer?
3. Orwell says that England could not become Germany any more than a turnip seed could grow into what?
4. In "Why I Write," Orwell examines his ________ _______ in writing.
5. What, does Orwell believe, is stronger than class hatred in England?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)