|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell believes that what are perpetrated by all sides in nearly all wars?
(d) Good acts.
2. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
(a) The Empirists.
(b) The Elitists.
(c) The Socialists.
(d) The Fascists.
3. Miller telld Orwell that his goal of direct participation in the Spanish Civil War was what?
4. Boys' Weekly is often described as "penny ________" what?
5. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
6. Orwell rejects, specifically, which of Gandhi's principles as a spiritual practice?
(a) Political principles.
(b) Dietary principles.
(c) Friend principles.
(d) Material belongings principles.
7. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
8. What, does Orwell believe, is stronger than class hatred in England?
(d) Cultural similarities.
9. Orwells says that the political ______ is able to create or dismiss war's happenings to fit the current political atmosphere's needs.
10. Who is the most reliable enemy of Fascism?
(a) The working class.
(b) The middle-class.
(c) The elite class.
(d) The poor.
11. The boys' weeklies completely lack what?
(a) Sad stories.
(c) Working-class characters.
(d) Political development.
12. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
13. The Spanish Civil War was essentially a(n) _______ war.
14. Orwell believes that stringent social conformism means that the greatest writers write what type of works?
(a) Short stories.
15. The main serialized stories of both "Gem" and "Magnet" focus on what?
(b) School life.
(d) Home life.
Short Answer Questions
1. The changes in England have been accompanied by the rapid expansion of the what?
2. What city is "Tropic of Cancer" set in?
3. Orwell says that he has generally only written solid prose when his political purpose was what?
4. Orwell believes that revolution and warfare make people behave how?
5. Orwell watches a troop of ______ Senegalese soldiers walk by him in Marrakech.
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)