|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell describes himself as what?
2. Early in his life, Gandhi tried to _______ British culture.
3. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
(a) Political ideology.
(b) Political conviction.
(c) Political meanings.
(d) Political views.
4. How many reasons compel writers to write, according to Orwell?
(a) Two or more.
(b) Three or more.
(c) One or more.
(d) Four or more.
5. What kind of employee tells Orwell that he, instead of the antelope, could eat the food Orwell is giving to the antelope?
(a) Animal caretaker employee.
(b) Municipal employee.
(c) State employee.
(d) Park employee.
6. Orwell believes that stringent social conformism means that the greatest writers write what type of works?
(b) Short stories.
7. The most marked characteristic of England, according to Orwell, is what?
(a) Its spirituality.
(b) Its gentleness.
(c) Its monarchy.
(d) Its hypocrisy.
8. Where is Marrakech?
(b) New Zealand.
9. Orwell says that no armed force, just perceptions, maintain what?
(a) The condition of the children.
(b) The condition of the women.
(c) The enslavement of the locals.
(d) The social structure.
10. The dialogue in Miller's novel is what?
11. The Yank Mags focus on what?
12. Where does Orwell point to as a negative example of what Gandhi was trying to promote?
13. In "Why I Write," Orwell examines his ________ _______ in writing.
(a) Personal interest.
(b) Personal feelings.
(c) Personal history.
(d) Personal bias.
14. Which religious type, in Marrakech, is crowded into restricted areas?
15. The stories in the boys' weeklies are ______ and _________.
(a) Complex and stagnant.
(b) Fanciful and stylized.
(c) Basic and simple.
(d) Realistic and humorous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell feed to the antelope?
2. The "Gem" and "Magnet" have been in continuous publication for over how long?
3. The main serialized stories of both "Gem" and "Magnet" focus on what?
4. Gandhi became a political figure because he experienced what?
5. All Chinese, in "Gem" and "Magent," wear what?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)