|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
2. Miller telld Orwell that his goal of direct participation in the Spanish Civil War was what?
3. At what age did Orwell know he was going to be a writer?
(a) A very young age.
(b) A teenager.
(d) A school-aged boy.
4. Orwell describes himself as what?
5. Totalitarian Russia is associated with what type of political beliefs?
6. Orwell regrets that there are no ____________ boys' weeklies.
(a) Better written.
(b) More dramatic.
7. The Yank Mags focus on what?
8. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
9. Orwell says that no armed force, just perceptions, maintain what?
(a) The condition of the children.
(b) The condition of the women.
(c) The social structure.
(d) The enslavement of the locals.
10. English citizens, according to Orwell, have a love of what, but not because of aesthetics?
11. Who is the most reliable enemy of Fascism?
(a) The middle-class.
(b) The poor.
(c) The elite class.
(d) The working class.
12. Orwell believes that stringent social conformism means that the greatest writers write what type of works?
(b) Short stories.
13. How many reasons compel writers to write, according to Orwell?
(a) Four or more.
(b) Two or more.
(c) One or more.
(d) Three or more.
14. The main serialized stories of both "Gem" and "Magnet" focus on what?
(a) Home life.
(b) School life.
15. Orwell questions whether Gandhi truly understood the nature of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is "Tropic of Cancer" set in?
2. What does Orwell feed to the antelope?
3. Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia," has a distinctly _______ feel.
4. Most Europeans who visit Marrakech are appalled at the harsh treatment meted out to what?
5. Who is at the top of the social pyramid in Marrakech?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)