|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
(a) Political meanings.
(b) Political views.
(c) Political ideology.
(d) Political conviction.
2. Who was the leader of Russia at the time of the Spanish Civil War?
3. How did the British feel about Gandhi?
(a) They favored him.
(b) They feared him.
(c) They honored him.
(d) They respected him.
4. The "Gem" and "Magnet" have been in continuous publication for over how long?
(a) 40 years.
(b) 30 years.
(c) 60 years.
(d) 50 years.
5. Orwell says that no book is entirely free from what?
(a) Personal influences.
(b) Individual history.
(c) Political bias.
(d) Comic relief.
6. Gandhi was part of what country's independence movement?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
7. What does Orwell feed to the antelope?
8. At what age did Orwell know he was going to be a writer?
(a) A school-aged boy.
(b) A teenager.
(c) A very young age.
9. The officers of the Senegalese soldiers are not marching, they are what?
(b) Riding in a jeep.
(d) Riding in a sedan chair.
10. Orwell questions whether Gandhi truly understood the nature of what?
11. Orwell says that writers are usually vain and what?
12. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
(a) The Socialists.
(b) The Elitists.
(c) The Empirists.
(d) The Fascists.
13. What kind of park does Orwell sit in when he feeds the antelope?
(a) State park.
(b) City park.
(c) Wilderness park.
(d) Safari park.
14. What do boys' weeklies do to foreigners in their stories?
(a) Stereotype them.
(b) Ignore them.
(c) Enslave them.
(d) Destroy them.
15. When Orwell writes the essay, "England Your England," German planes are bombing where?
Short Answer Questions
1. Non-objective truth, according to Orwell, is a diagnostic symptom of what?
2. Totalitarian Russia is associated with what type of political beliefs?
3. Who is at the top of the social pyramid in Marrakech?
4. The most marked characteristic of England, according to Orwell, is what?
5. Orwell believes that revolution and warfare make people behave how?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)