|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Orwell sees an enemy running along in full view, what is the enemy holding with his hands?
(a) His gun.
(b) His grenade.
(c) His boots.
(d) His trousers.
2. How did the British feel about Gandhi?
(a) They respected him.
(b) They feared him.
(c) They favored him.
(d) They honored him.
3. When does Orwell meet Miller?
4. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
5. Orwell believes that stringent social conformism means that the greatest writers write what type of works?
(b) Short stories.
6. Orwell says that all successful people share his desire for what?
(c) Receiving attention.
7. Orwell believes that revolution and warfare make people behave how?
8. Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia," has a distinctly _______ feel.
9. Totalitarian Russia is associated with what type of political beliefs?
10. The "Gem" and "Magnet" have been in continuous publication for over how long?
(a) 30 years.
(b) 50 years.
(c) 60 years.
(d) 40 years.
11. What do boys' weeklies do to foreigners in their stories?
(a) Destroy them.
(b) Enslave them.
(c) Ignore them.
(d) Stereotype them.
12. What, does Orwell believe, is stronger than class hatred in England?
(b) Cultural similarities.
13. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
14. Orwell says that no armed force, just perceptions, maintain what?
(a) The enslavement of the locals.
(b) The condition of the women.
(c) The condition of the children.
(d) The social structure.
15. Gandhi was part of what country's independence movement?
(d) Saudi Arabia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell describes himself as what?
2. Early in his life, Gandhi tried to _______ British culture.
3. Who supported Franco's defeat in the Spanish Civil War?
4. Who is at the top of the social pyramid in Marrakech?
5. Gandhi became a political figure because he experienced what?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)