|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
(a) Political meanings.
(b) Political ideology.
(c) Political conviction.
(d) Political views.
2. Orwell says that all successful people share his desire for what?
(d) Receiving attention.
3. Gandhi was part of what country's independence movement?
(d) Saudi Arabia.
4. Orwell describes himself as what?
5. Gandhi's methods presupposed that the British regime would react in what type of manner?
6. What do boys' weeklies do to foreigners in their stories?
(a) Destroy them.
(b) Enslave them.
(c) Stereotype them.
(d) Ignore them.
7. Orwell believes that revolution and warfare make people behave how?
8. Orwell considers, in "England Your England," how England is composed of varied what?
9. The Spanish Civil War was essentially a(n) _______ war.
10. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
(a) The Fascists.
(b) The Elitists.
(c) The Socialists.
(d) The Empirists.
11. Orwell believes that the ruling class of England is what?
(c) Not teachable.
12. According to Orwell, the English common people exhibit a type of ________ feeling.
13. When does Orwell meet Miller?
14. Who supported Franco's defeat in the Spanish Civil War?
15. Orwell watches a troop of ______ Senegalese soldiers walk by him in Marrakech.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age are the boy's weeklies aimed at?
2. Orwell rejects, specifically, which of Gandhi's principles as a spiritual practice?
3. Orwell's early attempts at writing were focused on what type of poems?
4. Who was the leader of Russia at the time of the Spanish Civil War?
5. Orwell says that writers are usually vain and what?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)