|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do boys' weeklies do to foreigners in their stories?
(a) Ignore them.
(b) Destroy them.
(c) Stereotype them.
(d) Enslave them.
2. Which is not a title Orwell lists as one of the boys' weeklies?
3. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
(a) Political meanings.
(b) Political conviction.
(c) Political views.
(d) Political ideology.
4. Who is the most reliable enemy of Fascism?
(a) The poor.
(b) The middle-class.
(c) The elite class.
(d) The working class.
5. Orwell doesn't believe that Gandhi's political beliefs can be separated from what?
(a) His political actions.
(b) His duty to God.
(c) His duty to his people.
(d) His religious beliefs.
6. Non-objective truth, according to Orwell, is a diagnostic symptom of what?
(a) A communist state.
(b) A totalitarian state.
(c) A democratic state.
(d) A republican state.
7. Orwell says that writers are usually vain and what?
8. All Chinese, in "Gem" and "Magent," wear what?
(a) A pigtail.
(b) A sword.
(c) A mask.
(d) A robe.
9. Orwell believes that what are perpetrated by all sides in nearly all wars?
(a) Good acts.
10. Orwell says that England could not become Germany any more than a turnip seed could grow into what?
(a) A flower.
(b) An onion.
(c) A tree.
(d) A parsnip.
11. The changes in England have been accompanied by the rapid expansion of the what?
(a) Poor class.
(b) Middle class.
(c) Economic gap.
12. Who supported Franco's defeat in the Spanish Civil War?
13. Orwell says that no armed force, just perceptions, maintain what?
(a) The condition of the women.
(b) The enslavement of the locals.
(c) The condition of the children.
(d) The social structure.
14. Who was the leader of Russia at the time of the Spanish Civil War?
15. The officers of the Senegalese soldiers are not marching, they are what?
(a) Riding in a sedan chair.
(c) Riding in a jeep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell thinks that the antelope looks like it would be good to do what to?
2. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
3. Orwell regrets that there are no ____________ boys' weeklies.
4. What kind of park does Orwell sit in when he feeds the antelope?
5. English national characteristics include a lack of what type of inclination?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)