|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
(b) First-person narrative.
2. Orwell doesn't believe that Gandhi's political beliefs can be separated from what?
(a) His duty to God.
(b) His duty to his people.
(c) His political actions.
(d) His religious beliefs.
3. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
4. Gandhi was part of what country's independence movement?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
5. The "Gem" and "Magnet" have been in continuous publication for over how long?
(a) 60 years.
(b) 40 years.
(c) 50 years.
(d) 30 years.
6. Totalitarian Russia is associated with what type of political beliefs?
7. The officers of the Senegalese soldiers are not marching, they are what?
(a) Riding in a sedan chair.
(b) Riding in a jeep.
8. Orwell describes himself as what?
9. Who is the most reliable enemy of Fascism?
(a) The poor.
(b) The elite class.
(c) The working class.
(d) The middle-class.
10. When Orwell writes the essay, "England Your England," German planes are bombing where?
11. Orwell believes that what are perpetrated by all sides in nearly all wars?
(d) Good acts.
12. At what age did Orwell know he was going to be a writer?
(a) A school-aged boy.
(c) A teenager.
(d) A very young age.
13. What is the name of the side opposite Orwell in the Spanish Civil War?
(a) The Empirists.
(b) The Socialists.
(c) The Fascists.
(d) The Elitists.
14. Non-objective truth, according to Orwell, is a diagnostic symptom of what?
(a) A democratic state.
(b) A republican state.
(c) A totalitarian state.
(d) A communist state.
15. Orwell rejects, specifically, which of Gandhi's principles as a spiritual practice?
(a) Material belongings principles.
(b) Dietary principles.
(c) Friend principles.
(d) Political principles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Marrakech?
2. How did the British feel about Gandhi?
3. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
4. Where does Orwell point to as a negative example of what Gandhi was trying to promote?
5. The boys' weeklies completely lack what?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)