|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Spanish Civil War was essentially a(n) _______ war.
2. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
3. What city is "Tropic of Cancer" set in?
4. Orwell believes that what are perpetrated by all sides in nearly all wars?
(c) Good acts.
5. What kind of employee tells Orwell that he, instead of the antelope, could eat the food Orwell is giving to the antelope?
(a) Park employee.
(b) Municipal employee.
(c) Animal caretaker employee.
(d) State employee.
6. How did Gandhi feel about the British?
(a) He didn't like them.
(b) He was friends with them.
(c) He valued their opinion.
(d) He despised them.
7. The officers of the Senegalese soldiers are not marching, they are what?
(b) Riding in a sedan chair.
(d) Riding in a jeep.
8. Orwell thinks that the antelope looks like it would be good to do what to?
(a) To eat.
(b) To pet.
(c) To ride.
(d) To keep.
9. What kind of park does Orwell sit in when he feeds the antelope?
(a) State park.
(b) Wilderness park.
(c) Safari park.
(d) City park.
10. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
11. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
12. Orwell regrets that there are no ____________ boys' weeklies.
(a) More dramatic.
(c) Better written.
13. How many reasons compel writers to write, according to Orwell?
(a) Three or more.
(b) Two or more.
(c) Four or more.
(d) One or more.
14. Orwell believes that war is necessarily what?
15. Where is Marrakech?
(a) New Zealand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miller telld Orwell that his goal of direct participation in the Spanish Civil War was what?
2. Who was the leader of Russia at the time of the Spanish Civil War?
3. Where does Orwell point to as a negative example of what Gandhi was trying to promote?
4. Non-objective truth, according to Orwell, is a diagnostic symptom of what?
5. Orwell believes that stringent social conformism means that the greatest writers write what type of works?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)