|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For Dickens, work is what?
(a) Something that happens on occasion.
(b) An event that happens elsewhere.
(c) A moral thing.
(d) An issue of money.
2. Orwell believes that good English writing demands what?
3. Raffles is considered a gentleman _______.
4. Dickens believes that what type of children shouldn't have to work long shifts in crushing labor?
5. Once Orwell won his scholarships, the school considered him what?
(b) In debt to the school.
(c) A credit to the school.
6. In Moulmein, Orwell serves in what capacity?
(a) Police officer.
(b) Trade advisor.
(c) Military advisor.
(d) Local official.
7. Orwell says that Dickens never wrote of what?
8. Who delivers the beatings to Orwell for wetting his bed?
(a) The principal.
(b) The dean.
(c) The headmaster.
(d) The resident advisor.
9. In general, Orwell believes that bad English ______ the language of meaning.
10. Dickens treats all petty officials with what?
11. When did "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" appear?
12. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
13. How man people gather to watch Orwell find the elephant?
14. How many cartridges does Orwell get with his elephant rifle?
15. In what country is Moulmein?
(a) Lower Pakistan.
(b) Lower Arabia.
(c) Lower Burma.
(d) Lower India.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Orwell shoot the elephant?
2. Dickens is not what type of writer?
3. The basic premise of the postcards that deal with marriage is that marriage benefits who?
4. Dickens was considered a social _______.
5. When political truth is difficult, meaningless ________ becomes acceptable.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)