|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The result of Orwell's translation of a verse from the Bible into typical bad English is what?
2. Dickens says that proper acts are those that are historically what?
3. Kipling feels that suppressing and controlling native people is what?
4. Orwell finds it remarkable that Dickens attacked everyone without __________ anybody.
(c) Making enemies of.
5. Dickens suggests that if man would be decent, then _________ would be decent.
6. With what accent do all of Dickens's heroes speak?
(a) Dock worker.
7. How many sections is the essay on Orwell's school experiences divided into?
8. Orwell says that using bad English is what?
(a) A woman's mistake.
9. How man people gather to watch Orwell find the elephant?
10. What trait, of the students, determines their discipline level and what classes they can take?
(a) Their test scores.
(b) Their economic status.
(c) Their intelligence level.
(d) Their future career paths.
11. What is the name for an entire phrase that stands for single words?
(a) Summary phrases.
(b) Small operators.
(c) False operators.
(d) Summary words.
12. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
13. Orwell says that Dickens never wrote of what?
14. Orwell believes that ________ corrupts thought.
(a) Haphazard English.
(b) Poor English.
(c) Bad English.
(d) Reduced English.
15. How many scholarships does Orwell win?
Short Answer Questions
1. Dickens treats all petty officials with what?
2. McGill postcards' jokes are not witty, but are what?
3. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
4. The dirty postcards are a sign that people sometimes wish that society wasn't so what?
5. Why does Orwell shoot the elephant?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)