|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, how does Kipling view life?
2. Where does Orwell shoot the elephant?
(a) In the back.
(b) In the head.
(c) In the foot.
(d) In the chest.
3. Orwell's education at Crossgates is intended to gather him what?
(b) Advancement opporunities.
(c) Good job offers.
4. How does the school characterize bed-wetting?
5. What is depicted on McGill postcards that is, by definition, humorous?
6. The students at the school are told that those who are sinful will exhibit their sin by what?
(a) Red marks on their palms,
(b) Guilty facial expressions.
(c) Sickness and depression.
(d) Black rings around their eyes.
7. Among the poorer students, illnesses are considered to be be a form of what?
(a) Moral defect.
(b) Bad behavior.
(c) Bad breeding.
8. What is one of the schools that Crossgates graduates attend?
9. At what time period does Raffles capture the public's imagination?
(a) Beginning of the 19th century.
(b) Beginning of the 17th century.
(c) Beginning of the 18th century.
(d) Beginning of the 20th century.
10. To a modern sensibility, much of Kipling's philosophy is what?
(c) Common place.
11. McGill's postcards are designed to get what?
(d) A laugh.
12. Dickens believes that society's ills are partially due to what?
(a) Lack of government.
(b) Lack of morals.
(c) Lack of history.
(d) Lack of families.
13. Dickens is not what type of writer?
14. When Orwell first comes upon the elephant, what is it eating?
(a) Tree leaves.
15. How many shots does Orwell fire before approaching the elephant?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Raffles stories glamorize what?
2. Who does Orwell send to get an elephant rifle before he goes looking for the elephant?
3. In what type of print does Raffles appear?
4. Miss Blandish is the daughter of whom?
5. Orwell says that using bad English is what?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)