|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What breaks during Orwell's second beating?
(a) The cane.
(b) The wood.
(c) The stick.
(d) The belt.
2. The students at the school are told that those who are sinful will exhibit their sin by what?
(a) Sickness and depression.
(b) Guilty facial expressions.
(c) Red marks on their palms,
(d) Black rings around their eyes.
3. Dickens did not write about what?
(a) The proletariat.
(b) The family.
(c) The elite.
(d) The monarchy.
4. Who is Bingo?
(a) The smallest student.
(b) The physical education teacher.
(c) The school nurse.
(d) The headmistress.
5. Under the philosophy of the school, obscene displays of wealth are indicative of what?
(a) Moral goodness.
(b) Social superiority.
(d) Redemption and power.
6. Dickens believes that society's ills are partially due to what?
(a) Lack of government.
(b) Lack of families.
(c) Lack of morals.
(d) Lack of history.
7. Dickens is not what type of writer?
8. What happens to the elephant after Orwell shoots all his elephant rifle ammunition at it?
(a) It spits up blood.
(b) It wanders off.
(c) It is still breathing.
(d) It dies.
9. The dirty postcards are a sign that people sometimes wish that society wasn't so what?
10. What is the name for an entire phrase that stands for single words?
(a) Small operators.
(b) Summary words.
(c) False operators.
(d) Summary phrases.
11. Orwell believes that automatic and uncritical thought does what to language?
(a) Destroys it.
(b) Reduces it.
(c) Enhances it.
(d) Corrupts it.
12. Dickens feels that _________ success is paramount.
13. Kipling's poetry has penetrated into everyday language because Kipling did what?
(a) Used colorful language.
(b) Told fanciful stories.
(c) Told the truth.
(d) Used common language.
14. Kipling's ideas result in poetry that portrays the common foot soldier as what?
(a) A fool.
(b) A poor man.
(c) A hero.
(d) A rich son.
15. According to Orwell, how does Kipling view life?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of literature does Kipling write?
2. In general, Orwell believes that bad English ______ the language of meaning.
3. Who is the author of the Raffles stories?
4. In Moulmein, Orwell serves in what capacity?
5. Orwell calls the dual nature that is in all people the ________ view of life.
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)