|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kipling's ideals result in poetry that do what to junior officers in the military?
(a) De-humanizes them.
(b) Praises them.
(c) Makes them heroes.
(d) Ridicules them.
2. Most characters illustrated on McGill postcards are what?
(a) Family figures.
(b) Stock figures.
(c) Cartoon figures.
(d) Stick figures.
3. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
4. McGill postcards say that a man can never win what with a woman?
(a) A game.
(b) An argument.
(c) A poker game.
(d) A fight.
5. Orwell believes that ________ corrupts thought.
(a) Reduced English.
(b) Haphazard English.
(c) Poor English.
(d) Bad English.
6. How does Miss Blandish die?
(a) She is run over by a car.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) Her kidnappers kill her.
(d) She is drowned in the river.
7. Dickens is against trade _______.
8. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
(a) Old Latin Bible.
(b) New Version Bible.
(c) Christian Bible.
(d) King James Bible.
9. Orwell says that using bad English is what?
(d) A woman's mistake.
10. What is depicted on McGill postcards that is, by definition, humorous?
11. In what type of print does Raffles appear?
12. Dickens feels that _________ success is paramount.
13. Orwell leaves the scene of the elephant shooting feeling what?
14. How man people gather to watch Orwell find the elephant?
15. Orwell believes that Dickens is more than an author, he is a what?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cartridges does Orwell get with his elephant rifle?
2. The students at the school are told that those who are sinful will exhibit their sin by what?
3. How long does it take Orwell before he started wetting his bed at school?
4. When Orwell first comes upon the elephant, what is it eating?
5. What is the "Blitz" of World War II?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)