|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the common writing errors that Orwell points out in his essay?
(a) Using dead languages.
(b) Using dying metaphors.
(c) Using dead analogies.
(d) Using dying phrases.
2. Dickens writes from what point of view?
3. The basic premise of the postcards that deal with marriage is that marriage benefits who?
(a) Only the children.
(b) Only the men.
(c) Both the men and the women.
(d) Only the women.
4. McGill postcards' jokes are not witty, but are what?
5. The dirty postcards are a sign that people sometimes wish that society wasn't so what?
6. The obscene McGill postcards are tolerated because they are based on what?
(a) Accepted values.
(d) Immoral behaviors.
7. Orwell believes that Kipling's poetry is remembered because of what?
(a) The tonal qualities to the writing.
(b) The lyrical way it is written.
(c) The portrayal of values.
(d) The subject matter.
8. Kipling feels that suppressing and controlling native people is what?
9. What is Crossgates?
(a) A finishing school.
(b) A technical school.
(c) A day school.
(d) A boarding school.
10. Dickens says that proper acts are those that are historically what?
11. Orwell finds it remarkable that Dickens attacked everyone without __________ anybody.
(c) Making enemies of.
12. The premise of "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" is that everyone seeks to increase what?
(a) Their personal pride.
(b) Their personal power.
(c) Their personal standing.
(d) Their personal wealth.
13. What type of literature does Kipling write?
(a) Short stories.
(d) Serial stories.
14. For Dickens, work is what?
(a) Something that happens on occasion.
(b) An issue of money.
(c) A moral thing.
(d) An event that happens elsewhere.
15. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what type of print does Raffles appear?
2. Dickens suggests that if man would be decent, then _________ would be decent.
3. The students at the school are told that those who are sinful will exhibit their sin by what?
4. Orwell's education at Crossgates is intended to gather him what?
5. Dickens believes that what type of children shouldn't have to work long shifts in crushing labor?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)