|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The dirty postcards are a sign that people sometimes wish that society wasn't so what?
2. The students at the school are told that those who are sinful will exhibit their sin by what?
(a) Black rings around their eyes.
(b) Red marks on their palms,
(c) Sickness and depression.
(d) Guilty facial expressions.
3. Dickens believes that what type of children shouldn't have to work long shifts in crushing labor?
4. At what age do the McGill postcards imply that sex-appeal evaporates?
5. Orwell finds it remarkable that Dickens attacked everyone without __________ anybody.
(c) Making enemies of.
6. Once Orwell won his scholarships, the school considered him what?
(a) A credit to the school.
(b) In debt to the school.
7. What is depicted on McGill postcards that is, by definition, humorous?
8. When did "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" appear?
9. In general, Orwell believes that bad English ______ the language of meaning.
10. Orwell believes that children have no sense of ______ and therefore cannot judge things for what they are.
11. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
12. Who does Orwell send to get an elephant rifle before he goes looking for the elephant?
(a) His aide de camp.
(b) A local man.
(c) A local boy.
(d) His bodyguard.
13. Is Donald McGill a real person?
(a) It depends on who you ask.
(b) No one knows.
14. Among the poorer students, illnesses are considered to be be a form of what?
(a) Bad behavior.
(b) Moral defect.
(c) Bad breeding.
15. Orwell believes that Kipling's poetry is remembered because of what?
(a) The portrayal of values.
(b) The subject matter.
(c) The tonal qualities to the writing.
(d) The lyrical way it is written.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Orwell, while he is at school, smash in the face?
2. How does the school characterize bed-wetting?
3. Who is Bingo?
4. Where does Orwell shoot the elephant?
5. The McGill postcards say that no marriage is what?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)