|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what accent do all of Dickens's heroes speak?
(b) Dock worker.
2. Kipling's poetry has penetrated into everyday language because Kipling did what?
(a) Told the truth.
(b) Told fanciful stories.
(c) Used common language.
(d) Used colorful language.
3. McGill's postcards are designed to get what?
(a) A laugh.
4. The McGill postcards say that no marriage is what?
5. The basic premise of the postcards that deal with marriage is that marriage benefits who?
(a) Only the men.
(b) Both the men and the women.
(c) Only the children.
(d) Only the women.
6. How is Raffles killed?
(a) In jail.
(b) By drowning.
(c) In battle.
(d) In a fight.
7. What is the name for an entire phrase that stands for single words?
(a) Small operators.
(b) Summary phrases.
(c) Summary words.
(d) False operators.
8. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
9. Kipling's ideas result in poetry that portrays the common foot soldier as what?
(a) A hero.
(b) A fool.
(c) A rich son.
(d) A poor man.
10. Who does Orwell, while he is at school, smash in the face?
(a) Johnny Eweing.
(b) Johnny Hall.
(c) Johnny McDonald.
(d) Johnny Weston.
11. Why does Orwell shoot the elephant?
(a) It was clearly wild.
(b) He was in danger.
(c) It ran at him.
(d) Peer pressure.
12. How long does it take Orwell before he started wetting his bed at school?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Five weeks.
13. What is one of the common writing errors that Orwell points out in his essay?
(a) Using dying phrases.
(b) Using dead analogies.
(c) Using dying metaphors.
(d) Using dead languages.
14. Miss Blandish is the daughter of whom?
(a) A king.
(b) A politician.
(c) A millionaire.
(d) A nobleman.
15. According to Orwell, how does Kipling view life?
Short Answer Questions
1. Dickens treats all petty officials with what?
2. Orwell's education at Crossgates is intended to gather him what?
3. How many shots does Orwell fire before approaching the elephant?
4. Once Orwell won his scholarships, the school considered him what?
5. Who does Orwell send to get an elephant rifle before he goes looking for the elephant?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)