|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The premise of "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" is that everyone seeks to increase what?
(a) Their personal power.
(b) Their personal pride.
(c) Their personal standing.
(d) Their personal wealth.
2. Kipling's poetry has penetrated into everyday language because Kipling did what?
(a) Used common language.
(b) Used colorful language.
(c) Told fanciful stories.
(d) Told the truth.
3. How many shots does Orwell fire before approaching the elephant?
4. Dickens focuses on the institutions of what?
(b) The past.
(c) The future.
(d) The government.
5. Raffles is considered a gentleman _______.
6. The result of Orwell's translation of a verse from the Bible into typical bad English is what?
7. How many cartridges does Orwell get with his elephant rifle?
8. Dickens views revolutions as what?
9. For Dickens, work is what?
(a) An event that happens elsewhere.
(b) An issue of money.
(c) A moral thing.
(d) Something that happens on occasion.
10. Who does Orwell send to get an elephant rifle before he goes looking for the elephant?
(a) A local man.
(b) His bodyguard.
(c) His aide de camp.
(d) A local boy.
11. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
12. The Raffles stories glamorize what?
(a) Being a sailor.
(b) Being a soldier.
(c) Hard work.
13. To a modern sensibility, much of Kipling's philosophy is what?
(a) Common place.
14. The students at the school are told that those who are sinful will exhibit their sin by what?
(a) Red marks on their palms,
(b) Sickness and depression.
(c) Black rings around their eyes.
(d) Guilty facial expressions.
15. Among the poorer students, illnesses are considered to be be a form of what?
(a) Bad breeding.
(b) Moral defect.
(d) Bad behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Moulmein, Orwell serves in what capacity?
2. Dickens feels that _________ success is paramount.
3. What is the name for an entire phrase that stands for single words?
4. How long does it take Orwell before he started wetting his bed at school?
5. Orwell says that Dickens never wrote of what?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)