|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kipling's ideas result in poetry that portrays the common foot soldier as what?
(a) A rich son.
(b) A hero.
(c) A poor man.
(d) A fool.
2. Who does Orwell, while he is at school, smash in the face?
(a) Johnny Weston.
(b) Johnny Eweing.
(c) Johnny McDonald.
(d) Johnny Hall.
3. When did "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" appear?
4. What breaks during Orwell's second beating?
(a) The belt.
(b) The wood.
(c) The stick.
(d) The cane.
5. What is the "Blitz" of World War II?
(a) The invasion of Germany.
(b) The sea-war.
(c) The air-war.
(d) The invasion of Russia.
6. Orwell says that using bad English is what?
(b) A woman's mistake.
7. The McGill postcards say that no marriage is what?
8. Kipling provides nearly the only literary description of much of nineteenth-century where?
9. How is Raffles killed?
(a) In a fight.
(b) By drowning.
(c) In battle.
(d) In jail.
10. What type of literature does Kipling write?
(a) Short stories.
(b) Serial stories.
11. What trait, of the students, determines their discipline level and what classes they can take?
(a) Their economic status.
(b) Their test scores.
(c) Their future career paths.
(d) Their intelligence level.
12. To a modern sensibility, much of Kipling's philosophy is what?
(b) Common place.
13. McGill's postcards are designed to get what?
(c) A laugh.
14. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
(a) King James Bible.
(b) Old Latin Bible.
(c) Christian Bible.
(d) New Version Bible.
15. Orwell's education at Crossgates is intended to gather him what?
(a) Advancement opporunities.
(c) Good job offers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Orwell shoot the elephant?
2. How many scholarships does Orwell win?
3. Most characters illustrated on McGill postcards are what?
4. Miss Blandish is the daughter of whom?
5. Kipling's ideals result in poetry that do what to junior officers in the military?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)