|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To a modern sensibility, much of Kipling's philosophy is what?
(b) Common place.
2. What does Orwell remember catching at school?
(b) Chicken pox.
3. How many cartridges does Orwell get with his elephant rifle?
4. At what age do the McGill postcards imply that sex-appeal evaporates?
5. Who is the author of the Raffles stories?
6. How many shots does Orwell fire before approaching the elephant?
7. The students at the school are told that those who are sinful will exhibit their sin by what?
(a) Red marks on their palms,
(b) Sickness and depression.
(c) Guilty facial expressions.
(d) Black rings around their eyes.
8. What is the name for an entire phrase that stands for single words?
(a) Small operators.
(b) Summary phrases.
(c) Summary words.
(d) False operators.
9. McGill postcards say that a man can never win what with a woman?
(a) A poker game.
(b) An argument.
(c) A game.
(d) A fight.
10. Once Orwell won his scholarships, the school considered him what?
(b) In debt to the school.
(d) A credit to the school.
11. Kipling's ideas result in poetry that portrays the common foot soldier as what?
(a) A rich son.
(b) A poor man.
(c) A fool.
(d) A hero.
12. The Raffles stories glamorize what?
(a) Being a sailor.
(b) Being a soldier.
(d) Hard work.
13. Among the poorer students, illnesses are considered to be be a form of what?
(a) Bad behavior.
(c) Bad breeding.
(d) Moral defect.
14. What type of literature does Kipling write?
(b) Short stories.
(d) Serial stories.
15. How many sections is the essay on Orwell's school experiences divided into?
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell believes that children have no sense of ______ and therefore cannot judge things for what they are.
2. According to Orwell, how does Kipling view life?
3. The basic premise of the postcards that deal with marriage is that marriage benefits who?
4. Orwell believes that Dickens is more than an author, he is a what?
5. How man people gather to watch Orwell find the elephant?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)