Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell believes that children have no sense of ______ and therefore cannot judge things for what they are.
2. Raffles is considered a gentleman _______.
3. In what country is Moulmein?
(a) Lower Burma.
(b) Lower India.
(c) Lower Arabia.
(d) Lower Pakistan.
4. Orwell believes that Kipling's poetry is remembered because of what?
(a) The subject matter.
(b) The portrayal of values.
(c) The tonal qualities to the writing.
(d) The lyrical way it is written.
5. Orwell leaves the scene of the elephant shooting feeling what?
6. Dickens treats all petty officials with what?
7. Kipling believes that there is what type of law, that he considers morally right?
8. Dickens feels that _________ success is paramount.
9. Orwell believes that automatic and uncritical thought does what to language?
(a) Enhances it.
(b) Corrupts it.
(c) Reduces it.
(d) Destroys it.
10. In Moulmein, Orwell serves in what capacity?
(a) Trade advisor.
(b) Police officer.
(c) Local official.
(d) Military advisor.
11. Orwell says that using bad English is what?
(c) A woman's mistake.
12. To a modern sensibility, much of Kipling's philosophy is what?
(a) Common place.
13. Kipling's ideas result in poetry that portrays the common foot soldier as what?
(a) A fool.
(b) A hero.
(c) A poor man.
(d) A rich son.
14. The students at the school are told that those who are sinful will exhibit their sin by what?
(a) Guilty facial expressions.
(b) Sickness and depression.
(c) Red marks on their palms,
(d) Black rings around their eyes.
15. How many cartridges does Orwell get with his elephant rifle?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many shots does Orwell fire before approaching the elephant?
2. Dickens writes from what point of view?
3. Orwell believes that good English writing demands what?
4. How many scholarships does Orwell win?
5. According to Orwell, how does Kipling view life?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)