|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the school characterize bed-wetting?
2. Why does Orwell shoot the elephant?
(a) Peer pressure.
(b) It ran at him.
(c) It was clearly wild.
(d) He was in danger.
3. The McGill postcards say that no marriage is what?
4. Dickens did not write about what?
(a) The proletariat.
(b) The monarchy.
(c) The family.
(d) The elite.
5. The premise of "No Orchids for Miss Blandish" is that everyone seeks to increase what?
(a) Their personal standing.
(b) Their personal power.
(c) Their personal pride.
(d) Their personal wealth.
6. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
7. To a modern sensibility, much of Kipling's philosophy is what?
(c) Common place.
8. Kipling's ideals result in poetry that do what to junior officers in the military?
(a) Makes them heroes.
(b) Praises them.
(c) Ridicules them.
(d) De-humanizes them.
9. The dirty postcards are a sign that people sometimes wish that society wasn't so what?
10. In Moulmein, Orwell serves in what capacity?
(a) Military advisor.
(b) Trade advisor.
(c) Local official.
(d) Police officer.
11. Dickens says that proper acts are those that are historically what?
12. Orwell leaves the scene of the elephant shooting feeling what?
13. Kipling strongly identifies with what class?
(a) The official ruling class.
(b) The middle class.
(c) The laboring class.
(d) The poor class.
14. Raffles is a cricketer who excels as a what?
(a) Slow scorer.
(b) Fast bowler.
(c) Slow bowler.
(d) Fast scorer.
15. Who does Orwell, while he is at school, smash in the face?
(a) Johnny Weston.
(b) Johnny Eweing.
(c) Johnny Hall.
(d) Johnny McDonald.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kipling believes that there is what type of law, that he considers morally right?
2. Dickens focuses on the institutions of what?
3. Who does Orwell send to get an elephant rifle before he goes looking for the elephant?
4. Most characters illustrated on McGill postcards are what?
5. How many shots does Orwell fire before approaching the elephant?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)