|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many cartridges does Orwell get with his elephant rifle?
2. What does Orwell remember catching at school?
(b) Chicken pox.
3. Who is the author of the Raffles stories?
4. What is the name for an entire phrase that stands for single words?
(a) Summary phrases.
(b) Small operators.
(c) False operators.
(d) Summary words.
5. Kipling feels that suppressing and controlling native people is what?
6. Dickens writes from what point of view?
7. Who delivers the beatings to Orwell for wetting his bed?
(a) The headmaster.
(b) The principal.
(c) The dean.
(d) The resident advisor.
8. The obscene McGill postcards are tolerated because they are based on what?
(c) Accepted values.
(d) Immoral behaviors.
9. Raffles is considered a gentleman _______.
10. Kipling's ideals result in poetry that do what to junior officers in the military?
(a) De-humanizes them.
(b) Makes them heroes.
(c) Praises them.
(d) Ridicules them.
11. Dickens treats all petty officials with what?
12. According to Orwell, how does Kipling view life?
13. Is Donald McGill a real person?
(a) No one knows.
(d) It depends on who you ask.
14. The McGill postcards say that no marriage is what?
15. Orwell calls the dual nature that is in all people the ________ view of life.
(a) Sancho Plazas.
(b) Sancho Piazza.
(c) Sancho Panza.
(d) Sancho Pureats.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orwell, repeatedly, refer to Kipling's poetry?
2. McGill's postcards are designed to get what?
3. Orwell finds it remarkable that Dickens attacked everyone without __________ anybody.
4. What is Crossgates?
5. McGill postcards say that a man can never win what with a woman?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)