|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Orwell before he started wetting his bed at school?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Four weeks.
2. Kipling believes that there is what type of law, that he considers morally right?
3. What happens to the elephant after Orwell shoots all his elephant rifle ammunition at it?
(a) It wanders off.
(b) It dies.
(c) It is still breathing.
(d) It spits up blood.
4. Orwell leaves the scene of the elephant shooting feeling what?
5. How is Raffles killed?
(a) In a fight.
(b) In battle.
(c) By drowning.
(d) In jail.
6. Orwell says that Dickens never wrote of what?
7. With what accent do all of Dickens's heroes speak?
(c) Dock worker.
8. Who does Orwell send to get an elephant rifle before he goes looking for the elephant?
(a) His aide de camp.
(b) His bodyguard.
(c) A local boy.
(d) A local man.
9. When Orwell first comes upon the elephant, what is it eating?
(b) Tree leaves.
10. Who delivers the beatings to Orwell for wetting his bed?
(a) The principal.
(b) The dean.
(c) The resident advisor.
(d) The headmaster.
11. At what time period does Raffles capture the public's imagination?
(a) Beginning of the 18th century.
(b) Beginning of the 17th century.
(c) Beginning of the 20th century.
(d) Beginning of the 19th century.
12. The students at the school are told that those who are sinful will exhibit their sin by what?
(a) Red marks on their palms,
(b) Sickness and depression.
(c) Black rings around their eyes.
(d) Guilty facial expressions.
13. McGill's postcards are designed to get what?
(a) A laugh.
14. In general, Orwell believes that bad English ______ the language of meaning.
15. Once Orwell won his scholarships, the school considered him what?
(b) A credit to the school.
(d) In debt to the school.
Short Answer Questions
1. The subsequent investigation finds that Orwell was _______ in shooting the elephant.
2. Dickens says that proper acts are those that are historically what?
3. When political truth is difficult, meaningless ________ becomes acceptable.
4. Under the philosophy of the school, obscene displays of wealth are indicative of what?
5. What does Orwell remember catching at school?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)