|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Orwell won his scholarships, the school considered him what?
(a) In debt to the school.
(b) A credit to the school.
2. Raffles is considered a gentleman _______.
3. Dickens was considered a social _______.
4. Orwell believes that Kipling's poetry is remembered because of what?
(a) The subject matter.
(b) The tonal qualities to the writing.
(c) The lyrical way it is written.
(d) The portrayal of values.
5. At what time period does Raffles capture the public's imagination?
(a) Beginning of the 18th century.
(b) Beginning of the 17th century.
(c) Beginning of the 20th century.
(d) Beginning of the 19th century.
6. When Orwell first comes upon the elephant, what is it eating?
(d) Tree leaves.
7. Orwell finds it remarkable that Dickens attacked everyone without __________ anybody.
(a) Making enemies of.
8. With what accent do all of Dickens's heroes speak?
(b) Dock worker.
9. Most characters illustrated on McGill postcards are what?
(a) Cartoon figures.
(b) Stock figures.
(c) Family figures.
(d) Stick figures.
10. Orwell says that Dickens never wrote of what?
11. Orwell says that using bad English is what?
(d) A woman's mistake.
12. At what age do the McGill postcards imply that sex-appeal evaporates?
13. The Raffles stories glamorize what?
(a) Hard work.
(b) Being a sailor.
(c) Being a soldier.
14. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
(a) Old Latin Bible.
(b) Christian Bible.
(c) King James Bible.
(d) New Version Bible.
15. What breaks during Orwell's second beating?
(a) The belt.
(b) The cane.
(c) The stick.
(d) The wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell believes that good English writing demands what?
2. Kipling provides nearly the only literary description of much of nineteenth-century where?
3. Kipling's poetry has penetrated into everyday language because Kipling did what?
4. What is Crossgates?
5. The students at the school are told that those who are sinful will exhibit their sin by what?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)