1. What does Orwell announce after his first beating?
After his first beating, Orwell announces that the beating was not painful.
2. What is the difference between how poor and rich students are treated at Crossgates on social occasions, such as birthdays?
On social occasions, such as birthdays, the rich students receive gifts or treats from the school, while poorer students receive nothing.
3. What, according to the headmaster, is Orwell's only function at the school?
According to the headmaster, Orwell's only function at the school is to get one or more scholarships to public schools and thus increase the prestige of Crossgates.
4. What does Orwell believe, contrary to public opinion, that corporal punishment does?
According to Orwell, and contrary to public opinion, corporal punishment works very well to instill discipline and rigor in students.
5. What are some of the simple pleasures Orwell remembers from school?
Some of the simple pleasures Orwell remembers from school are: catching insects and amphibians and taking nature walks with a kindly instructor.
This section contains 2,209 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)