|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Why I Write.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is not a title Orwell lists as one of the boys' weeklies?
2. According to Orwell, the English common people exhibit a type of ________ feeling.
3. Kipling's ideals result in poetry that do what to junior officers in the military?
(a) Makes them heroes.
(b) Praises them.
(c) De-humanizes them.
(d) Ridicules them.
4. What does Orwell feed to the antelope?
5. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
(a) Christian Bible.
(b) King James Bible.
(c) Old Latin Bible.
(d) New Version Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first reason that writers might be compelled to write?
2. Boys' Weekly is often described as "penny ________" what?
3. Kipling provides nearly the only literary description of much of nineteenth-century where?
4. Where does Orwell point to as a negative example of what Gandhi was trying to promote?
5. What age are the boy's weeklies aimed at?
This section contains 185 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)