|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Why I Write.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Orwell know he was going to be a writer?
(a) A very young age.
(c) A school-aged boy.
(d) A teenager.
2. The Raffles stories glamorize what?
(a) Being a sailor.
(b) Being a soldier.
(d) Hard work.
3. Orwell regrets that there are no ____________ boys' weeklies.
(b) More dramatic.
(d) Better written.
4. Who is Bingo?
(a) The smallest student.
(b) The school nurse.
(c) The physical education teacher.
(d) The headmistress.
5. Dickens believes that society's ills are partially due to what?
(a) Lack of morals.
(b) Lack of government.
(c) Lack of families.
(d) Lack of history.
Short Answer Questions
1. The storylines in "Gem" and "Magnet" seem frozen at what time?
2. Orwell says that England could not become Germany any more than a turnip seed could grow into what?
3. The boys' weeklies completely lack what?
4. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
5. What breaks during Orwell's second beating?
This section contains 172 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)