|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Looking Back on the Spanish War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
2. Orwell believes that automatic and uncritical thought does what to language?
(a) Destroys it.
(b) Corrupts it.
(c) Enhances it.
(d) Reduces it.
3. Who was the leader of Russia at the time of the Spanish Civil War?
4. Who delivers the beatings to Orwell for wetting his bed?
(a) The resident advisor.
(b) The principal.
(c) The dean.
(d) The headmaster.
5. Why does Orwell shoot the elephant?
(a) It ran at him.
(b) Peer pressure.
(c) It was clearly wild.
(d) He was in danger.
Short Answer Questions
1. The result of Orwell's translation of a verse from the Bible into typical bad English is what?
2. Dickens feels that _________ success is paramount.
3. Dickens is not what type of writer?
4. Once Orwell won his scholarships, the school considered him what?
5. The students at the school are told that those who are sinful will exhibit their sin by what?
This section contains 192 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)