|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Looking Back on the Spanish War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell says that Dickens never wrote of what?
2. The students at the school are told that those who are sinful will exhibit their sin by what?
(a) Guilty facial expressions.
(b) Red marks on their palms,
(c) Black rings around their eyes.
(d) Sickness and depression.
3. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
4. What trait, of the students, determines their discipline level and what classes they can take?
(a) Their test scores.
(b) Their intelligence level.
(c) Their future career paths.
(d) Their economic status.
5. In general, Orwell believes that bad English ______ the language of meaning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell believes that children have no sense of ______ and therefore cannot judge things for what they are.
2. Where does Orwell point to as a negative example of what Gandhi was trying to promote?
3. Who supported Franco's defeat in the Spanish Civil War?
4. According to Orwell, how does Kipling view life?
5. Orwell believes that automatic and uncritical thought does what to language?
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)