|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name for an entire phrase that stands for single words?
(a) False operators.
(b) Summary phrases.
(c) Summary words.
(d) Small operators.
2. What type of literature does Kipling write?
(c) Short stories.
(d) Serial stories.
3. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
4. What city is "Tropic of Cancer" set in?
5. Kipling provides nearly the only literary description of much of nineteenth-century where?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
2. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
3. When does Orwell meet Miller?
4. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
5. In general, Orwell believes that bad English ______ the language of meaning.
This section contains 162 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)