|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kipling feels that suppressing and controlling native people is what?
2. The result of Orwell's translation of a verse from the Bible into typical bad English is what?
3. Orwell believes that automatic and uncritical thought does what to language?
(a) Enhances it.
(b) Corrupts it.
(c) Destroys it.
(d) Reduces it.
4. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
(a) Political meanings.
(b) Political ideology.
(c) Political views.
(d) Political conviction.
5. When does Orwell meet Miller?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
2. Orwell believes that good English writing demands what?
3. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
4. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
5. When political truth is difficult, meaningless ________ becomes acceptable.
This section contains 155 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)