|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, how does Kipling view life?
2. Kipling's poetry has penetrated into everyday language because Kipling did what?
(a) Told the truth.
(b) Used common language.
(c) Told fanciful stories.
(d) Used colorful language.
3. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
4. When political truth is difficult, meaningless ________ becomes acceptable.
5. The result of Orwell's translation of a verse from the Bible into typical bad English is what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
2. Orwell believes that ________ corrupts thought.
3. What is the name for an entire phrase that stands for single words?
4. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
5. Orwell believes that Kipling's poetry is remembered because of what?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)