|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The result of Orwell's translation of a verse from the Bible into typical bad English is what?
2. What is one of the common writing errors that Orwell points out in his essay?
(a) Using dying phrases.
(b) Using dead languages.
(c) Using dead analogies.
(d) Using dying metaphors.
3. Kipling feels that suppressing and controlling native people is what?
4. Kipling strongly identifies with what class?
(a) The middle class.
(b) The official ruling class.
(c) The poor class.
(d) The laboring class.
5. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell believes that Kipling's poetry is remembered because of what?
2. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
3. Orwell believes that stringent social conformism means that the greatest writers write what type of works?
4. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
5. To a modern sensibility, much of Kipling's philosophy is what?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)