|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
2. How does Orwell, repeatedly, refer to Kipling's poetry?
(a) Good musical poetry.
(b) Good versical poetry.
(c) Good novel poetry.
(d) Good bad poetry.
3. What is one of the common writing errors that Orwell points out in his essay?
(a) Using dying metaphors.
(b) Using dead languages.
(c) Using dead analogies.
(d) Using dying phrases.
4. What is the name for an entire phrase that stands for single words?
(a) Summary phrases.
(b) Small operators.
(c) Summary words.
(d) False operators.
5. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
(a) Political conviction.
(b) Political ideology.
(c) Political views.
(d) Political meanings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kipling provides nearly the only literary description of much of nineteenth-century where?
2. What type of literature does Kipling write?
3. Kipling's poetry has penetrated into everyday language because Kipling did what?
4. Miller telld Orwell that his goal of direct participation in the Spanish Civil War was what?
5. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)