|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
2. Kipling's poetry has penetrated into everyday language because Kipling did what?
(a) Used colorful language.
(b) Told the truth.
(c) Used common language.
(d) Told fanciful stories.
3. When does Orwell meet Miller?
4. Orwell says that using bad English is what?
(c) A woman's mistake.
5. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
(a) First-person narrative.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
2. Orwell believes that ________ corrupts thought.
3. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
4. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
5. Orwell believes that good English writing demands what?
This section contains 164 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)