|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
2. Kipling's ideas result in poetry that portrays the common foot soldier as what?
(a) A rich son.
(b) A fool.
(c) A hero.
(d) A poor man.
3. Orwell believes that good English writing demands what?
4. Orwell believes that automatic and uncritical thought does what to language?
(a) Corrupts it.
(b) Reduces it.
(c) Destroys it.
(d) Enhances it.
5. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of literature does Kipling write?
2. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
3. Kipling feels that suppressing and controlling native people is what?
4. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
5. The result of Orwell's translation of a verse from the Bible into typical bad English is what?
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)