|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Orwell meet Miller?
2. To a modern sensibility, much of Kipling's philosophy is what?
(d) Common place.
3. Totalitarian Russia is associated with what type of political beliefs?
4. Kipling provides nearly the only literary description of much of nineteenth-century where?
5. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
(a) King James Bible.
(b) Christian Bible.
(c) Old Latin Bible.
(d) New Version Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
2. Orwell believes that stringent social conformism means that the greatest writers write what type of works?
3. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
4. The result of Orwell's translation of a verse from the Bible into typical bad English is what?
5. What is one of the common writing errors that Orwell points out in his essay?
This section contains 175 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)