|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the common writing errors that Orwell points out in his essay?
(a) Using dying phrases.
(b) Using dead languages.
(c) Using dead analogies.
(d) Using dying metaphors.
2. The dialogue in Miller's novel is what?
3. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
4. What city is "Tropic of Cancer" set in?
5. What is the name for an entire phrase that stands for single words?
(a) False operators.
(b) Summary phrases.
(c) Small operators.
(d) Summary words.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kipling's poetry has penetrated into everyday language because Kipling did what?
2. To a modern sensibility, much of Kipling's philosophy is what?
3. Miller telld Orwell that his goal of direct participation in the Spanish Civil War was what?
4. Orwell believes that Kipling's poetry is remembered because of what?
5. Kipling strongly identifies with what class?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)