|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To a modern sensibility, much of Kipling's philosophy is what?
(d) Common place.
2. Orwell believes that ________ corrupts thought.
(a) Poor English.
(b) Haphazard English.
(c) Reduced English.
(d) Bad English.
3. Orwell believes that Kipling's poetry is remembered because of what?
(a) The subject matter.
(b) The tonal qualities to the writing.
(c) The lyrical way it is written.
(d) The portrayal of values.
4. How does Orwell, repeatedly, refer to Kipling's poetry?
(a) Good bad poetry.
(b) Good versical poetry.
(c) Good musical poetry.
(d) Good novel poetry.
5. Orwell believes that automatic and uncritical thought does what to language?
(a) Corrupts it.
(b) Enhances it.
(c) Destroys it.
(d) Reduces it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kipling strongly identifies with what class?
2. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
3. What type of literature does Kipling write?
4. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
5. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
This section contains 183 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)