|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell says that using bad English is what?
(a) A woman's mistake.
2. What is one of the common writing errors that Orwell points out in his essay?
(a) Using dying metaphors.
(b) Using dead analogies.
(c) Using dying phrases.
(d) Using dead languages.
3. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
(a) Christian Bible.
(b) Old Latin Bible.
(c) King James Bible.
(d) New Version Bible.
4. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
5. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, how does Kipling view life?
2. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
3. To a modern sensibility, much of Kipling's philosophy is what?
4. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
5. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)