|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell says that using bad English is what?
(d) A woman's mistake.
2. Kipling's ideals result in poetry that do what to junior officers in the military?
(a) Ridicules them.
(b) De-humanizes them.
(c) Makes them heroes.
(d) Praises them.
3. Orwell believes that good English writing demands what?
4. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
(a) New Version Bible.
(b) Old Latin Bible.
(c) King James Bible.
(d) Christian Bible.
5. What is one of the common writing errors that Orwell points out in his essay?
(a) Using dying phrases.
(b) Using dead analogies.
(c) Using dying metaphors.
(d) Using dead languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
2. Kipling feels that suppressing and controlling native people is what?
3. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
4. Kipling's ideas result in poetry that portrays the common foot soldier as what?
5. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)