|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
2. Kipling's poetry has penetrated into everyday language because Kipling did what?
(a) Told fanciful stories.
(b) Told the truth.
(c) Used common language.
(d) Used colorful language.
3. Kipling's ideas result in poetry that portrays the common foot soldier as what?
(a) A hero.
(b) A rich son.
(c) A fool.
(d) A poor man.
4. Kipling's ideals result in poetry that do what to junior officers in the military?
(a) De-humanizes them.
(b) Ridicules them.
(c) Makes them heroes.
(d) Praises them.
5. The dialogue in Miller's novel is what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
2. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
3. What type of literature does Kipling write?
4. When does Orwell meet Miller?
5. Orwell believes that Kipling's poetry is remembered because of what?
This section contains 193 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)