|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
2. To a modern sensibility, much of Kipling's philosophy is what?
(d) Common place.
3. Kipling feels that suppressing and controlling native people is what?
4. Orwell believes that Kipling's poetry is remembered because of what?
(a) The subject matter.
(b) The portrayal of values.
(c) The lyrical way it is written.
(d) The tonal qualities to the writing.
5. Orwell believes that ________ corrupts thought.
(a) Poor English.
(b) Bad English.
(c) Reduced English.
(d) Haphazard English.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
2. Kipling's ideals result in poetry that do what to junior officers in the military?
3. Kipling strongly identifies with what class?
4. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
5. Kipling believes that there is what type of law, that he considers morally right?
This section contains 177 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)