|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kipling's ideas result in poetry that portrays the common foot soldier as what?
(a) A fool.
(b) A hero.
(c) A poor man.
(d) A rich son.
2. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
3. When was Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" published?
4. Orwell believes that stringent social conformism means that the greatest writers write what type of works?
(a) Short stories.
5. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
Short Answer Questions
1. The result of Orwell's translation of a verse from the Bible into typical bad English is what?
2. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
3. The dialogue in Miller's novel is what?
4. When does Orwell meet Miller?
5. Kipling feels that suppressing and controlling native people is what?
This section contains 170 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)