|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
2. Orwell, although he once found Houseman to be enjoyable, now finds his writings to be what?
3. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
(a) First-person narrative.
4. What type of literature does Kipling write?
(a) Short stories.
(c) Serial stories.
5. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
(a) King James Bible.
(b) New Version Bible.
(c) Christian Bible.
(d) Old Latin Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orwell, repeatedly, refer to Kipling's poetry?
2. Orwell believes that automatic and uncritical thought does what to language?
3. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
4. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
5. Totalitarian Russia is associated with what type of political beliefs?
This section contains 182 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)