|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kipling's poetry has penetrated into everyday language because Kipling did what?
(a) Told the truth.
(b) Told fanciful stories.
(c) Used colorful language.
(d) Used common language.
2. In what decade does a new group of writers who begin to focus on the ideal of a serious purpose in life emerge?
3. Totalitarian Russia is associated with what type of political beliefs?
4. Orwell believes that Kipling's poetry is remembered because of what?
(a) The portrayal of values.
(b) The subject matter.
(c) The tonal qualities to the writing.
(d) The lyrical way it is written.
5. Miller telld Orwell that his goal of direct participation in the Spanish Civil War was what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Kipling provides nearly the only literary description of much of nineteenth-century where?
2. How does Orwell, repeatedly, refer to Kipling's poetry?
3. When does Orwell meet Miller?
4. What style is "Tropic of Cancer" written in?
5. How many writing samples does Orwell mention in the beginning of "Politics and the English Language"?
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)