One Week Quiz A
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Inside the Whale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In one example, Orwell translates a verse from what book into typical bad English?
(a) New Version Bible.
(b) King James Bible.
(c) Old Latin Bible.
(d) Christian Bible.
2. Orwell believes that ________ corrupts thought.
(a) Reduced English.
(b) Haphazard English.
(c) Poor English.
(d) Bad English.
3. Kipling's poetry has penetrated into everyday language because Kipling did what?
(a) Used common language.
(b) Used colorful language.
(c) Told fanciful stories.
(d) Told the truth.
4. Orwell's study of English literature shows that English literature moves from a focus on the beauty of nature to a focus on the tragic nature of what?
5. When does Orwell meet Miller?
Short Answer Questions
1. Kipling believes that there is what type of law, that he considers morally right?
2. What city is "Tropic of Cancer" set in?
3. Orwell believes that most of the post-Great War writers wrote without what?
4. In general, Orwell believes that bad English ______ the language of meaning.
5. Orwell says that bad English is a good vehicle for what kind of speech?
This section contains 180 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)