|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Turkish authorities use to determine the identity of the man in the river?
2. When Latimer and Peters go to the hotel room, what does Latimer become afraid of?
3. What was the name of the department Bulic once worked at?
4. What were the initials on the letters Visser found from Rome?
5. What does Latimer find out about Mr. Peters from reading the newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take a moment to consider the ending of the novel. How is the final scene between Dimitrios and Peters symbolic of Ambler's view of evil and crime? What about Latimer? Is he without blame in this whole situation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are two exchanges between Peters and Latimer in a hotel room. Write an essay comparing and contrasting the two scenes, the one in Sofia and the other in Paris. What has changed between the two characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Think about the role of Marukakis in the novel, and write an essay on the importance of his character to Latimer's investigation. What beliefs does Marukakis hold that many find appalling, but Latimer does not? How is this contradictory to Latimer's approach to other characters in the novel?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)