|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peters say is the art of being successful in life?
2. What does Peters admit to Latimer after Dimitrios is gone from the hotel room?
3. What do the Turkish authorities use to determine the identity of the man in the river?
4. What does Peters suggest to Latimer to make him feel better, before they meet Dimitrios?
5. What friend of DImitrios did Visser go to in order to find out where DImitrios was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take a moment to consider the ending of the novel. How is the final scene between Dimitrios and Peters symbolic of Ambler's view of evil and crime? What about Latimer? Is he without blame in this whole situation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Think about the role of Marukakis in the novel, and write an essay on the importance of his character to Latimer's investigation. What beliefs does Marukakis hold that many find appalling, but Latimer does not? How is this contradictory to Latimer's approach to other characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The first time Latimer sees Dimitrios, he is surprised. Write an essay about the actual physical characteristics of DImitrios compared to the ones in Latimer's mind, along with other character's descriptions of Dimitrios. Be sure to use thoughtful detail and analyze Latimer's reaction to his first sighting of Dimitrios.
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)