|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drug did Dimitrios and Peters originally begin smuggling together?
2. Why does Grodek say he doesn't read detective novels?
3. What is Mr. Peters' real name?
4. What is hanging in the entryway of Grodek's house along with the coats?
5. What does Latimer read about in the newspaper files?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay analyzing the character of Colonel Haki, using other characters to compare and contrast his character in the spectrum of good and evil in the novel. How does Haki differ from Latimer? How is he similar to Peters?
Essay Topic 2
Think about the character of Wladyslaw Grodek. What influences does Grodek have on Latimer? How is he connected to Dimitrios? Write an essay on the character of Grodek and his involvement in the plot in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Think about the history of the city of Smyrna. Why do you think the author chose to include this long history in the novel? How is it essential to the plot? Make sure you work closely with the text.
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)