|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Marukakis and Latimer drink during lunch?
2. Where were drugs hidden during a French drug bust in 1929?
3. What is the name of the Polish contact that Peters gives Latimer?
4. How many years after the war between Turkey and Greece does Latimer arrive?
5. How does the author describe Mr. Peters' eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Latimer stay when he arrives in Istanbul? What are the conditions of his lodging place?
2. How did Dimitrios double-cross Peters and the rest of the crew? Who is the body in the photograph Peters shows Latimer?
3. How did Grodek eventually friend Bulic? How did he gain control over this man?
4. What does Latimer contemplate about evil after he agrees to help Peters blackmail Dimitrios? What realization does he come to?
5. What role did Dimitrios have in Grodek's operation in Belgrade? How did this work against Grodek?
6. What two questions does Dimitrios ask Latimer as he is leaving? Is he satisfied with Latimer's answers?
7. Where does Latimer go when he leaves Istanbul? Why does he go here?
8. What changes Mr. Peters' opinion of Latimer? What did he find in Latimer's room that caused him so much suspicion?
9. What deal did Dimitrios want to make with Giraud and Peters? How did this inconvenience them?
10. While Peters is writing in Latimer's hotel room, what does Latimer do? Why does he do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first time Latimer sees Dimitrios, he is surprised. Write an essay about the actual physical characteristics of DImitrios compared to the ones in Latimer's mind, along with other character's descriptions of Dimitrios. Be sure to use thoughtful detail and analyze Latimer's reaction to his first sighting of Dimitrios.
Essay Topic 2
There are two exchanges between Peters and Latimer in a hotel room. Write an essay comparing and contrasting the two scenes, the one in Sofia and the other in Paris. What has changed between the two characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Take a moment to consider the ending of the novel. How is the final scene between Dimitrios and Peters symbolic of Ambler's view of evil and crime? What about Latimer? Is he without blame in this whole situation? Why or why not?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)