|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Dimitrios owe Irana?
2. Where did Irana pin her money when Dimitrios first came to her apartment?
3. After Dimitrios leaves Smyrna, who does he try to assassinate?
4. What is the name of Latimer's interpreter?
5. What lie does Latimer concoct so as to not raise suspicion about his investigation?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Peters and Latimer are separating after their meeting with Dimitrios, what does Peters ask of Latimer? How does Latimer reply?
2. For what three reasons did Latimer become a professional writer?
3. How does Latimer know without looking that Dimitrios is in Peters' apartment? What does Dimitrios do before Peters has a chance to speak?
4. Where does Peters say is Latimer's next stop in his research of Dimitrios? What does he do to aid in this endeavor?
5. When Latimer and Marukakis first meet Irana, what is her reaction to their inquiries? How does this change?
6. What does Peters offer Latimer to drink in his apartment? What does Peters encourage Latimer to do as he tells Latimer his story?
7. When Latimer first reaches Paris, what kind of research does he do? What does he find out?
8. Describe the body the Colonel and Latimer see in the morgue.
9. How did Dimitrios double-cross Peters and the rest of the crew? Who is the body in the photograph Peters shows Latimer?
10. What does Dimitrios offer Latimer to not leave the apartment and get the police? What happens once Latimer leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grodek's operation in Belgrade is essential to the plot of the novel. How was Dimitrios involved? Who was Grodek's target? Who was Grodek's employer? Write an essay on Grodek's operation in Belgrade, being sure to use details. What do you learn about Dimitrios from Grodek's story?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay analyzing the character of Colonel Haki, using other characters to compare and contrast his character in the spectrum of good and evil in the novel. How does Haki differ from Latimer? How is he similar to Peters?
Essay Topic 3
Think about the character of the Russian Interpreter, Muishkin. Write a compare/contrast essay between the character of Latimer and Muishkin. How is his character an example of the struggle between good and evil in the novel?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)