|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Marukakis speak to Latimer?
2. Who is the author of the quote that begins the novel?
3. What do Marukakis and Latimer drink during lunch?
4. What is the name of the Polish contact that Peters gives Latimer?
5. How tall does the woman who knows Dimitrios say that he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Bulic at the end of Grodek's story? Bulic's wife?
2. Where does Latimer stay when he arrives in Istanbul? What are the conditions of his lodging place?
3. What secret does Muishkin tell Latimer over dinner? What does he do afterward?
4. What important person does Marukakis locate in Sofia? What does this person know about Dimitrios?
5. How did Irana first meet Dimitrios? Why is she mad at him now? What is her reaction to the news of his death?
6. What did Latimer do for the first fifteen years of his adult life? How did this change?
7. How did Dimitrios double-cross Peters and the rest of the crew? Who is the body in the photograph Peters shows Latimer?
8. When Latimer's contact asks why Latimer wants this information, what does Latimer tell him? Does the contact believe him?
9. Where does Peters say is Latimer's next stop in his research of Dimitrios? What does he do to aid in this endeavor?
10. What does Latimer do in order to understand where Dimitrios went after he left Smyrna? Where does he conclude Dimitrios went?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Visser's plot for revenge on Dimitrios is what brings Peters and Latimer to Paris. What obstacles does Visser run into during his search of Dimitrios? Write an essay on how Visser tracks down Dimitrios, and how Peters conjectures Dimitrios switched identities with Visser.
Essay Topic 2
Think about the role of Marukakis in the novel, and write an essay on the importance of his character to Latimer's investigation. What beliefs does Marukakis hold that many find appalling, but Latimer does not? How is this contradictory to Latimer's approach to other characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Take a moment to consider the ending of the novel. How is the final scene between Dimitrios and Peters symbolic of Ambler's view of evil and crime? What about Latimer? Is he without blame in this whole situation? Why or why not?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)