|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Dimitrios owe Irana?
2. When Latimer returns to his room after leaving La Vierge, what is odd about his room?
3. What year was the assassination attempt on Stambulisky?
4. What name do they find Dimitrios under?
5. What does Peters discover in Latimer's hotel room that arouses his suspicion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What business did Peters get into with Dimitrios? How did their business expand?
2. When Latimer first reaches Paris, what kind of research does he do? What does he find out?
3. What secret does Muishkin tell Latimer over dinner? What does he do afterward?
4. Who hunts Dimitrios once he gets out of prison? Where does he go first looking for Dimitrios?
5. What does Colonel Haki show Latimer that makes him suppress laughter? How are the tables turned afterward?
6. When Latimer wakes up after his encounter with Mr. Peters, what is he angry about? What does he think he should have done?
7. What is Latimer afraid of as he waits in the hotel room for Dimitrios? What does Peters suggest?
8. What does Peters want Latimer to help him with? On what two conditions does Latimer agree to go along with Peters' plan?
9. What role did Dimitrios have in Grodek's operation in Belgrade? How did this work against Grodek?
10. Where does the identification card from Dimitrios' refugee records say he was born? What crime does it say he committed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first time Latimer sees Dimitrios, he is surprised. Write an essay about the actual physical characteristics of DImitrios compared to the ones in Latimer's mind, along with other character's descriptions of Dimitrios. Be sure to use thoughtful detail and analyze Latimer's reaction to his first sighting of Dimitrios.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of women in the detective novel. How are women portrayed in this novel? What strengths do they possess? What weaknesses? Make sure to use strong examples.
Essay Topic 3
Think about the first chapter of the book. Write an essay on the author's establishment of setting, plot, and character, along with his use of foreshadowing on the first page alone. How does Ambler create scene and plot so quickly? How is this emblematic of the detective novel as a genre?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)