Chapter 1, Origins of an Obsession
• The novel begins with a quote by Sir Thomas Browne.
• The first chapter, "Origins of an Obsession", introduces the character of Charles Latimer.
• Latimer was a university professor who became famous writing detective novels.
• The author flashes forward to the character of Dimitrios and Latimer's connection to him.
• The story flashes back to Latimer's history, as he quits the university to focus on his writing.
• Latimer wrote four detective novels and then decided to take a vacation.
• He goes to Turkey, where he lodges at Madame Chavez's villa.
• There, he meets a man named Colonel Haki.
• Colonel Haki is an officer, and loves Latimer's novels. He asks Latimer to join him for lunch, and Latimer accepts.
• As they lunch, the Colonel talks about his own ideas for a novel, and asks Latimer if he would like to see his notes.
• At the Colonel's...
This section contains 2,512 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)