|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After John thinks about shifting the blame for Karen's death to Peter and away from Art, what does he do?
2. When John goes home and talks with his wife on the phone, she tells him to do what?
3. What is happening outside of the Lee's home?
4. When John finds Sam Archer, Sam is in what condition?
5. What does Fritz reveal to John about Ev Randall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Sanderson and John can easily shift the blame to Peter Randall and away from Art Lee, John has his misgivings. Why?
2. Why does Peter refuse to perform an abortion on Karen the last time she asks him for one?
3. During the dinner party at George Morris' house, how do different people interact with John Berry?
4. When John visits Dr. Fritz Werner at his office, what does Fritz say about Karen?
5. When a reporter arrives to cover the demonstration at the Lee house, what does John tell him?
6. Summarize John Berry's meeting with Roman Jones.
7. What do John Berry and George Wilson witness after they follow J.D. Randall and Peter Randall along the coast?
8. What secret information does Sanderson reveal to John about Peter Randall?
9. What does John say to Norton when he finds him smoking marijuana at George Morris' place?
10. After John helps Betty Lee board up the broken windows in her house and tends to her children's cuts, he calls attorney George Wilson. What do he and George agree to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss some of the instances when John Berry poses as someone else: for example, a police officer, an attorney, a relative, a drug buyer. Why does he pose as someone he is not? In each case, what information does he gain? Can it be argued that "the end justifies the means?" Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In his detective work, John is able to put together the pieces of the puzzle through a combination of what people tell him and what lab results indicate. Give two examples of each, stating what secrets are unlocked in each case.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roles that race and ethnic background play in this story. When does this story take place? How does racism affect Art Lee's chances of a fair trial? How does racism affect George Wilson's ability to convince a jury that Art is innocent?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)