|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John goes to Fritz Werner's office, Fritz says that Karen was what?
2. George Wilson explains that as an African-American defending an Asian-American abortionist in that particular era in front of a white jury, he faces what big challenge?
3. As John is being wheeled into an emergency room, he is told what?
4. John meets with attorney George Wilson in a bar run by a former what?
5. Why do John Berry and George Wilson decide to go talk to J.D. Randall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the roles that race and ethnic background play in this story. When does this story take place? How does racism affect Art Lee's chances of a fair trial? How does racism affect George Wilson's ability to convince a jury that Art is innocent?
Essay Topic 2
J.D. Randall accuses John Berry of harassing his family members. Do you agree or disagree with his assessment? Is John harassing, or is he merely trying to get to the truth? Is there a difference between the two? Does J.D.'s accusation come with ulterior motives?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout most of the story, it is unclear whether or not Karen was actually pregnant. Discuss all the indications for and against a pregnancy's actually existing. Include what people say and what is discovered through lab tests. Why are the lab tests inconclusive? How do the results leave John Berry confused? In the end, was she or was she not pregnant?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)