|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. J.D. Randall and Peter Randall do not realize that they are being watched and that __________.
2. George Wilson explains that as an African-American defending an Asian-American abortionist in that particular era in front of a white jury, he faces what big challenge?
3. What happens to John when he tries to follow Roman Jones?
4. When a reporter arrives at the Lee household, John makes it a point to talk about what?
5. Norton tells John that it would be interesting if what happened at the pharmacy was related to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John's wife, Judith, feel at the dinner party at George Morris' house?
2. What viable alternatives does George Wilson present to John Berry as they ponder how to prove Art's innocence?
3. After John helps Betty Lee board up the broken windows in her house and tends to her children's cuts, he calls attorney George Wilson. What do he and George agree to do?
4. When a reporter arrives to cover the demonstration at the Lee house, what does John tell him?
5. What does Norton tell John is missing from Memorial Hospital?
6. How do Angela and Bubbles act towards John when he meets them and asks about Karen?
7. When John is in the hospital, what happens to Roman Jones?
8. What vital information is revealed when John Berry meets Peter Randall for lunch?
9. Describe Dr. Norton Francis Hammond.
10. How does John's hunch pay off when he meets Angela Harding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Berry is cautioned every step of the way not to get involved in Art Lee's murder case. Why are other doctors so reluctant to get involved? Do they believe Art Lee is guilty? Is he being used as a scapegoat? Why does Dr. Berry continue with his unofficial investigation? Why does he believe Art even when many others do not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout most of the story, it is unclear whether or not Karen was actually pregnant. Discuss all the indications for and against a pregnancy's actually existing. Include what people say and what is discovered through lab tests. Why are the lab tests inconclusive? How do the results leave John Berry confused? In the end, was she or was she not pregnant?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the marriage of John and Judith with that of Art and Betty. What are John's thoughts about marriage and divorce within the medical community? Why does he dwell on these thoughts at times?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)