|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fritz reveal to John about Ev Randall?
2. At Sam's place, John learns that Bubbles is with whom?
3. Who supposedly lives with Sam Archer?
4. George Wilson explains that a second viable approach is to do what?
5. When talking with John, what information does Fritz confirm?
Short Essay Questions
1. When a reporter arrives to cover the demonstration at the Lee house, what does John tell him?
2. During the dinner party at George Morris' house, how do different people interact with John Berry?
3. What vital information is revealed when John Berry meets Peter Randall for lunch?
4. What viable alternatives does George Wilson present to John Berry as they ponder how to prove Art's innocence?
5. Although Sanderson and John can easily shift the blame to Peter Randall and away from Art Lee, John has his misgivings. Why?
6. Describe the demonstration outside the home of the Lee family.
7. What secret information does Sanderson reveal to John about Peter Randall?
8. Summarize John Berry's meeting with Roman Jones.
9. Summarize John's encounter with Sam Archer.
10. Why does John end up in the emergency room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Almost from the start, tension exists between John and several other characters. Cite specific examples when this tension works against John and when it works in his favor in his interactions with the following characters:
1. Captain Peterson.
2. J.D. Randall.
3. Roman Jones.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the pros and cons of abortion as presented by the author in this novel. Why does Dr. Arthur Lee perform abortions even though they are illegal? How and when does he justify abortion? In what cases does he refuse to perform one?
Essay Topic 3
Often, John Berry seems to realize that he speaks his mind too freely and offends people or hurts their feelings. Does he do anything to try to change his gruff directness with people? Does he ever benefit from such brutal candor? If so, how?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)