|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After pediatrician Charlie Frank tells John that rumor has it that he is involved in abortions, what else does he say?
2. When John reaches the Lee household, what does he find in their front yard?
3. J.D. Randall and Peter Randall do not realize that they are being watched and that __________.
4. Before leaving his house and heading over to the Lee residence, what does John do?
5. Why did Peter refuse to perform another abortion on Karen?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast John Berry's detective and medical sides. How does being a doctor gain him access to valuable information pertaining to his friend's case? What unspoken rules seem to exist between the doctors with whom John works regarding the sharing of information? How is it that, at least initially, John does not arouse more suspicion with his colleagues?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the pros and cons of abortion as presented by the author in this novel. Why does Dr. Arthur Lee perform abortions even though they are illegal? How and when does he justify abortion? In what cases does he refuse to perform one?
Essay Topic 3
Almost from the start, tension exists between John and several other characters. Cite specific examples when this tension works against John and when it works in his favor in his interactions with the following characters:
1. Captain Peterson.
2. J.D. Randall.
3. Roman Jones.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)