|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John goes to Fritz Werner's office, Fritz says that Karen was what?
2. Whenever John mentions Karen, Sam Archer says that she was __________.
3. What does John say about doctors who drink large quantities of alcohol?
4. Who is Fritz Werner?
5. What is happening outside of the Lee's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize John's encounter with Sam Archer.
2. What secret information does Sanderson reveal to John about Peter Randall?
3. How does John's hunch pay off when he meets Angela Harding?
4. After John helps Betty Lee board up the broken windows in her house and tends to her children's cuts, he calls attorney George Wilson. What do he and George agree to do?
5. When John visits Dr. Fritz Werner at his office, what does Fritz say about Karen?
6. What conflicting results does John receive regarding Karen's possible pregnancy?
7. Why does John end up in the emergency room?
8. How does John's wife, Judith, feel at the dinner party at George Morris' house?
9. What challenges does George Wilson, Art Lee's new lawyer, face in trying to convince a jury of Art's innocence?
10. Although Sanderson and John can easily shift the blame to Peter Randall and away from Art Lee, John has his misgivings. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the pros and cons of abortion as presented by the author in this novel. Why does Dr. Arthur Lee perform abortions even though they are illegal? How and when does he justify abortion? In what cases does he refuse to perform one?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast John Berry's detective and medical sides. How does being a doctor gain him access to valuable information pertaining to his friend's case? What unspoken rules seem to exist between the doctors with whom John works regarding the sharing of information? How is it that, at least initially, John does not arouse more suspicion with his colleagues?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dr. John Berry with Dr. Frank Conway. Analyze each in the following categories: compassion, honesty, professionalism, expertise. Which of the two is more trustworthy? Why?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)