|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before leaving his house and heading over to the Lee residence, what does John do?
2. When Signe, J.D. Randall's mistress, left the country, what happened to Karen?
3. Who is George Morris?
4. In the presence of the reporter, what does John demand for the Lee family?
5. Karen had known Roman Jones, a member of which musical group?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John's wife, Judith, feel at the dinner party at George Morris' house?
2. Describe the demonstration outside the home of the Lee family.
3. What do John Berry and George Wilson witness after they follow J.D. Randall and Peter Randall along the coast?
4. Why does Angela Harding end up in the hospital while John is recovering there?
5. When a reporter arrives to cover the demonstration at the Lee house, what does John tell him?
6. When John is in the hospital, what happens to Roman Jones?
7. What challenges does George Wilson, Art Lee's new lawyer, face in trying to convince a jury of Art's innocence?
8. Why does Peter refuse to perform an abortion on Karen the last time she asks him for one?
9. Describe Dr. Norton Francis Hammond.
10. When John visits Dr. Fritz Werner at his office, what does Fritz say about Karen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the roles that race and ethnic background play in this story. When does this story take place? How does racism affect Art Lee's chances of a fair trial? How does racism affect George Wilson's ability to convince a jury that Art is innocent?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout most of the story, it is unclear whether or not Karen was actually pregnant. Discuss all the indications for and against a pregnancy's actually existing. Include what people say and what is discovered through lab tests. Why are the lab tests inconclusive? How do the results leave John Berry confused? In the end, was she or was she not pregnant?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the members of the Randall family: J.D., Ev, Karen, Peter, and William. State everything that makes this a dysfunctional family. Explain how they hide secrets to protect their image.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)