|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alan Zenner tells John that Karen __________.
2. As the doctor finishes up the autopsy on Karen, what does John note?
3. After Karen's autopsy, John pays a visit to Jim Murphy. Who is Jim?
4. Who has been switching tissue samples in the lab in order to help Art Lee?
5. As Jack Hendricks prepares to do an autopsy on Karen Randall, John is somewhat taken aback by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. While John Berry does his work in the pathology lab during the busiest part of the day, who calls him, and why?
2. Who is Mrs. McPherson, and what happens to her?
3. What are some of the major findings made during Karen Randall's autopsy?
4. Summarize the conversation that takes place between John and Ev outside of the Randall home.
5. Summarize John Berry's phone conversation with Dr. Sanderson, head of the pathology labs, following his unfruitful meeting with Art Lee's attorney.
6. When John finally talks with Peter Randall directly, what key pieces of information does he learn?
7. Why do the police arrest Art Lee?
8. Why has George Bradford declined to take Art Lee's case?
9. How does being a doctor help John with his unofficial investigation of Karen's death?
10. Explain why John wants to help Art Lee even though other doctors are willing to let him be a scapegoat for Karen's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the roles that race and ethnic background play in this story. When does this story take place? How does racism affect Art Lee's chances of a fair trial? How does racism affect George Wilson's ability to convince a jury that Art is innocent?
Essay Topic 2
John's involvement in Art's case eventually lands him in the hospital. Discuss the circumstances that put John in the hospital. Could he have taken more precautions to protect himself? Was he being careless, or was he merely a victim of circumstance? What additional insights does he gain in the hospital that help him prove Art's innocence?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Art and his family and John and his family go on with their lives once the case is closed.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)