Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Dr. John Berry during his busiest time in the pathology lab?
2. Who is William Harvey Shattuck Randall?
3. After J.D. Randall tries to bribe John Berry to get him to drop Art Lee's case, J.D. resorts to what?
4. What do John Berry and Frank Conway discuss when John drives Frank to Children's Hospital?
5. When John contacts the pharmacy to learn more about Karen's prescription, he learns that she was taking what?
Short Essay Questions
1. John Berry compares his puzzlement over Art Lee's case with "the Peru case." What is the Peru case to which he refers?
2. Explain why other doctors let Dr. Frank Conway rant and rave after one of his patients dies.
3. Summarize John Berry's phone conversation with Dr. Sanderson, head of the pathology labs, following his unfruitful meeting with Art Lee's attorney.
4. What does John say to Dr. Weston about his role in the death of Roman?
5. Describe the demonstration outside the home of the Lee family.
6. Why does Angela clean fingerprints off the chair and doorknob?
7. Describe Dr. Norton Francis Hammond.
8. What does John tell Peter Randall when asked for his opinion about Karen's autopsy findings?
9. How does John's wife, Judith, feel at the dinner party at George Morris' house?
10. Why does John take a sample of Karen's blood to Dr. Jim Murphy?
Explain why the police are not more cooperative and helpful with the Lee family when hecklers attack their home. Why are the police dragging their feet? How does John intervene? How does he secure police protection for the family?
Throughout most of the story, it is unclear whether or not Karen was actually pregnant. Discuss all the indications for and against a pregnancy's actually existing. Include what people say and what is discovered through lab tests. Why are the lab tests inconclusive? How do the results leave John Berry confused? In the end, was she or was she not pregnant?
Often, John Berry seems to realize that he speaks his mind too freely and offends people or hurts their feelings. Does he do anything to try to change his gruff directness with people? Does he ever benefit from such brutal candor? If so, how?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)