|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After J.D. Randall tries to bribe John Berry to get him to drop Art Lee's case, J.D. resorts to what?
2. After Mrs. McPherson dies during heart surgery, her surgeon says he does not know what?
3. Jim Murphy agrees to John's request on what condition?
4. Who is Alan Zenner?
5. When does Dr. Conway always conduct his autopsies?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Dr. John Berry learns that Dr. Art Lee has been arrested, he recalls talking with Art about what serious matter?
2. When John finally talks with Peter Randall directly, what key pieces of information does he learn?
3. What does John tell Peter Randall when asked for his opinion about Karen's autopsy findings?
4. Why is John surprised to see J.D. Randall performing open heart surgery?
5. How does J.D. Randall deflect pointed questions John Berry asks of him during their first conversation?
6. Summarize how John Berry describes Boston City Hospital.
7. Why does John take a sample of Karen's blood to Dr. Jim Murphy?
8. John Berry compares his puzzlement over Art Lee's case with "the Peru case." What is the Peru case to which he refers?
9. What are some of the major findings made during Karen Randall's autopsy?
10. Why does John decline to help when he is asked if he wants to assist with Karen's autopsy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the roles that race and ethnic background play in this story. When does this story take place? How does racism affect Art Lee's chances of a fair trial? How does racism affect George Wilson's ability to convince a jury that Art is innocent?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dr. John Berry with Dr. Frank Conway. Analyze each in the following categories: compassion, honesty, professionalism, expertise. Which of the two is more trustworthy? Why?
Essay Topic 3
John's involvement in Art's case eventually lands him in the hospital. Discuss the circumstances that put John in the hospital. Could he have taken more precautions to protect himself? Was he being careless, or was he merely a victim of circumstance? What additional insights does he gain in the hospital that help him prove Art's innocence?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)