|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alan Zenner explains to John that Karen had claimed she was pregnant and was scared about having an abortion, but he _________.
2. When John goes looking for Karen's chart, he learns that it is in the possession of whom?
3. After John Berry gets an unexpected call in the pathology lab, what does he learn?
4. What does the person conducting the autopsy on Karen notice about her uterus?
5. After meeting with Art in jail, John calls his wife, Judith, and asks her to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize how John Berry describes Boston City Hospital.
2. When John goes to the radiology department at Memorial Hospital, what does the radiologist tell him?
3. Who is Mrs. McPherson, and what happens to her?
4. Explain why John wants to help Art Lee even though other doctors are willing to let him be a scapegoat for Karen's death.
5. How does J.D. Randall, Karen's father, first attempt to get John Berry to stop working on Art Lee's case?
6. Summarize the conversation that takes place between John and Ev outside of the Randall home.
7. Why does John take a sample of Karen's blood to Dr. Jim Murphy?
8. Why does Roger Whiting come up with "miscarriage" as a diagnosis for Karen's condition?
9. Why is John surprised to see J.D. Randall performing open heart surgery?
10. What does John Berry say about Dr. Conway's manner of conducting autopsies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are those who seem to be on John's side in his quest to get to the truth, and those who want him to mind his own business, drop his investigation, and go back to practicing medicine. What motivates some of these individuals to either support, hinder, or altogether avoid John?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the marriage of John and Judith with that of Art and Betty. What are John's thoughts about marriage and divorce within the medical community? Why does he dwell on these thoughts at times?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roles that race and ethnic background play in this story. When does this story take place? How does racism affect Art Lee's chances of a fair trial? How does racism affect George Wilson's ability to convince a jury that Art is innocent?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)