|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As John talks with people who had known Karen, what name starts to pop up?
2. Without being asked, William Randall makes sure that John Berry knows what?
3. After J.D. Randall tries to bribe John Berry to get him to drop Art Lee's case, J.D. resorts to what?
4. After coming to the conclusion that Art Lee uses discernment and compassion in deciding whether or not to perform an abortion, John Berry begins doing what?
5. How does J.D. Randall reply when John Berry asks what he would have done if Karen had told him she was pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. John Berry compares his puzzlement over Art Lee's case with "the Peru case." What is the Peru case to which he refers?
2. Explain why other doctors let Dr. Frank Conway rant and rave after one of his patients dies.
3. Why is John surprised to see J.D. Randall performing open heart surgery?
4. During the first conversation between J.D. Randall and John Berry, what does the reader learn about Randall's attitude towards Art Lee?
5. Why does John decline to help when he is asked if he wants to assist with Karen's autopsy?
6. When John Berry spends ten minutes with Art Lee after his arrest, what does Art explain about Karen Randall?
7. Summarize how John Berry describes Boston City Hospital.
8. How does J.D. Randall, Karen's father, first attempt to get John Berry to stop working on Art Lee's case?
9. After Dr. John Berry learns that Dr. Art Lee has been arrested, he recalls talking with Art about what serious matter?
10. What does John tell Peter Randall when asked for his opinion about Karen's autopsy findings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are those who seem to be on John's side in his quest to get to the truth, and those who want him to mind his own business, drop his investigation, and go back to practicing medicine. What motivates some of these individuals to either support, hinder, or altogether avoid John?
Essay Topic 2
Almost from the start, tension exists between John and several other characters. Cite specific examples when this tension works against John and when it works in his favor in his interactions with the following characters:
1. Captain Peterson.
2. J.D. Randall.
3. Roman Jones.
Essay Topic 3
John's involvement in Art's case eventually lands him in the hospital. Discuss the circumstances that put John in the hospital. Could he have taken more precautions to protect himself? Was he being careless, or was he merely a victim of circumstance? What additional insights does he gain in the hospital that help him prove Art's innocence?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)