Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Dr. John Berry during his busiest time in the pathology lab?
2. Who is William Harvey Shattuck Randall?
3. After J.D. Randall tries to bribe John Berry to get him to drop Art Lee's case, J.D. resorts to what?
4. What do John Berry and Frank Conway discuss when John drives Frank to Children's Hospital?
5. When John contacts the pharmacy to learn more about Karen's prescription, he learns that she was taking what?
Short Essay Questions
1. John Berry compares his puzzlement over Art Lee's case with "the Peru case." What is the Peru case to which he refers?
2. Explain why other doctors let Dr. Frank Conway rant and rave after one of his patients dies.
3. Summarize John Berry's phone conversation with Dr. Sanderson, head of the pathology labs, following his unfruitful meeting with Art Lee's attorney.
4. What does John say to Dr. Weston about his role in the death of Roman?
5. Describe the demonstration outside the home of the Lee family.
6. Why does Angela clean fingerprints off the chair and doorknob?
7. Describe Dr. Norton Francis Hammond.
8. What does John tell Peter Randall when asked for his opinion about Karen's autopsy findings?
9. How does John's wife, Judith, feel at the dinner party at George Morris' house?
10. Why does John take a sample of Karen's blood to Dr. Jim Murphy?
Discuss some of the instances when John Berry poses as someone else: for example, a police officer, an attorney, a relative, a drug buyer. Why does he pose as someone he is not? In each case, what information does he gain? Can it be argued that "the end justifies the means?" Why or why not?
Discuss the roles that race and ethnic background play in this story. When does this story take place? How does racism affect Art Lee's chances of a fair trial? How does racism affect George Wilson's ability to convince a jury that Art is innocent?
J.D. Randall accuses John Berry of harassing his family members. Do you agree or disagree with his assessment? Is John harassing, or is he merely trying to get to the truth? Is there a difference between the two? Does J.D.'s accusation come with ulterior motives?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)