|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During John Berry's first conversation with J.D. Randall, what does J.D. try to offer him?
2. When was the last time William Randall had seen Karen alive?
3. After meeting with Art in jail, John calls George Bradford and leaves a message. Who is Bradford?
4. When John goes to Smith College to investigate more about Karen, he speaks with Karen's roommate. What is her name?
5. After Mrs. McPherson dies during heart surgery, her surgeon says he does not know what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize how John Berry describes Boston City Hospital.
2. What are some of the major findings made during Karen Randall's autopsy?
3. Summarize the conversation that takes place between John and Ev outside of the Randall home.
4. What key details does John learn about Karen from her roommate Ginnie?
5. Describe the connection between Suzanne Blake and Art Lee.
6. Why does John decline to help when he is asked if he wants to assist with Karen's autopsy?
7. While John Berry does his work in the pathology lab during the busiest part of the day, who calls him, and why?
8. After Dr. John Berry learns that Dr. Art Lee has been arrested, he recalls talking with Art about what serious matter?
9. Why is John surprised to see J.D. Randall performing open heart surgery?
10. Why does Roger Whiting come up with "miscarriage" as a diagnosis for Karen's condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Berry is cautioned every step of the way not to get involved in Art Lee's murder case. Why are other doctors so reluctant to get involved? Do they believe Art Lee is guilty? Is he being used as a scapegoat? Why does Dr. Berry continue with his unofficial investigation? Why does he believe Art even when many others do not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the pros and cons of abortion as presented by the author in this novel. Why does Dr. Arthur Lee perform abortions even though they are illegal? How and when does he justify abortion? In what cases does he refuse to perform one?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roles that race and ethnic background play in this story. When does this story take place? How does racism affect Art Lee's chances of a fair trial? How does racism affect George Wilson's ability to convince a jury that Art is innocent?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)