|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John goes looking for Karen's chart, he learns that it is in the possession of whom?
2. Roger Whiting discovered that six months earlier, a full set of cranial X-rays had been taken of Karen. Who does he think ordered them?
3. What happens when John Berry arrives at the police station and requests to see Dr. Lee?
4. During Suzanne Blake's first trimester of pregnancy, what does she contract?
5. When John shares with Peter Randall that he feels Karen's autopsy shows she was not pregnant, what does Peter say?
Short Essay Questions
1. John Berry compares his puzzlement over Art Lee's case with "the Peru case." What is the Peru case to which he refers?
2. When John Berry spends ten minutes with Art Lee after his arrest, what does Art explain about Karen Randall?
3. Why has George Bradford declined to take Art Lee's case?
4. What key details does John learn about Karen from her roommate Ginnie?
5. During the first conversation between J.D. Randall and John Berry, what does the reader learn about Randall's attitude towards Art Lee?
6. Who is Alan Zenner, and why does John talk with him?
7. Summarize the encounter between John Berry and Roger Whiting, the medical intern who had given Karen penicillin without first checking for allergies.
8. While John Berry does his work in the pathology lab during the busiest part of the day, who calls him, and why?
9. Summarize the conversation that takes place between John and Ev outside of the Randall home.
10. When John finally talks with Peter Randall directly, what key pieces of information does he learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Almost from the start, tension exists between John and several other characters. Cite specific examples when this tension works against John and when it works in his favor in his interactions with the following characters:
1. Captain Peterson.
2. J.D. Randall.
3. Roman Jones.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout most of the story, it is unclear whether or not Karen was actually pregnant. Discuss all the indications for and against a pregnancy's actually existing. Include what people say and what is discovered through lab tests. Why are the lab tests inconclusive? How do the results leave John Berry confused? In the end, was she or was she not pregnant?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dr. John Berry with Dr. Frank Conway. Analyze each in the following categories: compassion, honesty, professionalism, expertise. Which of the two is more trustworthy? Why?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)