|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The person conducting Karen's autopsy determines that the source of her bleeding was what?
2. After meeting with Art in jail, John calls George Bradford and leaves a message. Who is Bradford?
3. Who is William Harvey Shattuck Randall?
4. When John calls Lewis Carr after meeting with the medical intern, what is Lewis' demeanor?
5. After meeting with Art in jail, John calls his wife, Judith, and asks her to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When John goes to the radiology department at Memorial Hospital, what does the radiologist tell him?
2. Who is Mrs. McPherson, and what happens to her?
3. While John Berry does his work in the pathology lab during the busiest part of the day, who calls him, and why?
4. How does J.D. Randall, Karen's father, first attempt to get John Berry to stop working on Art Lee's case?
5. Summarize the conversation that takes place between John and Ev outside of the Randall home.
6. Why does John decline to help when he is asked if he wants to assist with Karen's autopsy?
7. When John Berry spends ten minutes with Art Lee after his arrest, what does Art explain about Karen Randall?
8. According to John, autopsies are required to be performed under what circumstances?
9. How does J.D. Randall deflect pointed questions John Berry asks of him during their first conversation?
10. What key details does John learn about Karen from her roommate Ginnie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the pros and cons of abortion as presented by the author in this novel. Why does Dr. Arthur Lee perform abortions even though they are illegal? How and when does he justify abortion? In what cases does he refuse to perform one?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast John Berry's detective and medical sides. How does being a doctor gain him access to valuable information pertaining to his friend's case? What unspoken rules seem to exist between the doctors with whom John works regarding the sharing of information? How is it that, at least initially, John does not arouse more suspicion with his colleagues?
Essay Topic 3
John's involvement in Art's case eventually lands him in the hospital. Discuss the circumstances that put John in the hospital. Could he have taken more precautions to protect himself? Was he being careless, or was he merely a victim of circumstance? What additional insights does he gain in the hospital that help him prove Art's innocence?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)