|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Art Lee explains to John Berry that he had refused to perform an abortion on Karen Randall because __________.
2. When John speaks with George Bradford, what does he realize?
3. When Arthur Lee refuses Suzanne Blake's request, she says that she will do what?
4. After meeting with Art in jail, John calls George Bradford and leaves a message. Who is Bradford?
5. When William Randall speaks of Ev, to whom is he referring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Sanderson and John can easily shift the blame to Peter Randall and away from Art Lee, John has his misgivings. Why?
2. Why does Roger Whiting come up with "miscarriage" as a diagnosis for Karen's condition?
3. Explain Art Lee's version of what happened between Roman, Angela, and Karen.
4. How does J.D. Randall, Karen's father, first attempt to get John Berry to stop working on Art Lee's case?
5. When a reporter arrives to cover the demonstration at the Lee house, what does John tell him?
6. While John Berry does his work in the pathology lab during the busiest part of the day, who calls him, and why?
7. Why does John take a sample of Karen's blood to Dr. Jim Murphy?
8. When John visits Dr. Weston after being released from the hospital, what additional information does he uncover?
9. What vital information is revealed when John Berry meets Peter Randall for lunch?
10. What does Norton tell John is missing from Memorial Hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the pros and cons of abortion as presented by the author in this novel. Why does Dr. Arthur Lee perform abortions even though they are illegal? How and when does he justify abortion? In what cases does he refuse to perform one?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dr. John Berry with Dr. Frank Conway. Analyze each in the following categories: compassion, honesty, professionalism, expertise. Which of the two is more trustworthy? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In his detective work, John is able to put together the pieces of the puzzle through a combination of what people tell him and what lab results indicate. Give two examples of each, stating what secrets are unlocked in each case.
This section contains 1,887 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)