Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Dr. John Berry during his busiest time in the pathology lab?
2. Who is William Harvey Shattuck Randall?
3. After J.D. Randall tries to bribe John Berry to get him to drop Art Lee's case, J.D. resorts to what?
4. What do John Berry and Frank Conway discuss when John drives Frank to Children's Hospital?
5. When John contacts the pharmacy to learn more about Karen's prescription, he learns that she was taking what?
Short Essay Questions
1. John Berry compares his puzzlement over Art Lee's case with "the Peru case." What is the Peru case to which he refers?
2. Explain why other doctors let Dr. Frank Conway rant and rave after one of his patients dies.
3. Summarize John Berry's phone conversation with Dr. Sanderson, head of the pathology labs, following his unfruitful meeting with Art Lee's attorney.
4. What does John say to Dr. Weston about his role in the death of Roman?
5. Describe the demonstration outside the home of the Lee family.
6. Why does Angela clean fingerprints off the chair and doorknob?
7. Describe Dr. Norton Francis Hammond.
8. What does John tell Peter Randall when asked for his opinion about Karen's autopsy findings?
9. How does John's wife, Judith, feel at the dinner party at George Morris' house?
10. Why does John take a sample of Karen's blood to Dr. Jim Murphy?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the marriage of John and Judith with that of Art and Betty. What are John's thoughts about marriage and divorce within the medical community? Why does he dwell on these thoughts at times?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout most of the story, it is unclear whether or not Karen was actually pregnant. Discuss all the indications for and against a pregnancy's actually existing. Include what people say and what is discovered through lab tests. Why are the lab tests inconclusive? How do the results leave John Berry confused? In the end, was she or was she not pregnant?
Essay Topic 3
In his detective work, John is able to put together the pieces of the puzzle through a combination of what people tell him and what lab results indicate. Give two examples of each, stating what secrets are unlocked in each case.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)