|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Mrs. McPherson dies during heart surgery, how long does the surgeon spend trying to revive her?
2. What does John learn from Judith and Betty about George Bradford, Art's lawyer?
3. Arthur Lee agrees to Suzanne Blake's request after he does what?
4. The police sergeant allows John Berry in to see Dr. Lee after he mistakenly thinks what?
5. After John Berry gets an unexpected call in the pathology lab, what does he learn?
Short Essay Questions
1. John Berry compares his puzzlement over Art Lee's case with "the Peru case." What is the Peru case to which he refers?
2. Explain why John wants to help Art Lee even though other doctors are willing to let him be a scapegoat for Karen's death.
3. How does being a doctor help John with his unofficial investigation of Karen's death?
4. When John goes to the radiology department at Memorial Hospital, what does the radiologist tell him?
5. Explain why other doctors let Dr. Frank Conway rant and rave after one of his patients dies.
6. Why has George Bradford declined to take Art Lee's case?
7. What does John Berry say about Dr. Conway's manner of conducting autopsies?
8. Summarize the conversation that takes place between John and Ev outside of the Randall home.
9. How does J.D. Randall deflect pointed questions John Berry asks of him during their first conversation?
10. While John Berry does his work in the pathology lab during the busiest part of the day, who calls him, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the members of the Randall family: J.D., Ev, Karen, Peter, and William. State everything that makes this a dysfunctional family. Explain how they hide secrets to protect their image.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Karen Randall with Angela Harding. How are they similar in personality? In behavior? In circumstances? In what significant ways are these two women different?
Essay Topic 3
J.D. Randall accuses John Berry of harassing his family members. Do you agree or disagree with his assessment? Is John harassing, or is he merely trying to get to the truth? Is there a difference between the two? Does J.D.'s accusation come with ulterior motives?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)