|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John say in response to the Randall family's belief that Karen had paid Art Lee three hundred dollars for an abortion?
(a) The family needs to stop framing Art.
(b) Art always charges twenty-five dollars only to cover lab costs.
(c) It would be easy to trace the check and see who had cashed it.
(d) Art accepts no money whatsoever for doing an abortion.
2. Why does Karen's roommate agree to answer John's questions?
(a) She thinks he is a relative.
(b) She misses Karen terribly.
(c) She thinks he is a lawyer.
(d) She is afraid of being arrested.
3. Jim Murphy agrees to John's request on what condition?
(a) That John and his wife join him for dinner.
(b) That John keeps him updated about the murder case.
(c) That afterwards, John takes him out for a beer.
(d) That afterwards, John reveals the person's identity.
4. After John Berry gets an unexpected call in the pathology lab, what does he learn?
(a) Art Lee has been arrested.
(b) Frank Conway has punched the anesthesiologist.
(c) His daughter has run away from home.
(d) His son has quit medical school.
5. How does Roger Whiting respond when John Berry asks him if he plans to settle in Boston?
(a) "I was."
(d) "Are you joking?"
6. After Mrs. McPherson dies during heart surgery, her surgeon says he does not know what?
(a) How to explain this to his supervisor.
(b) If he will lose his license to practice medicine.
(c) If she had been diagnosed correctly.
(d) How to tell her four children.
7. William Randall tells John Berry that at dinner, the family had teased Karen a bit about what?
(a) Dating a guy she had previously dumped.
(b) Spending all her money and needing more.
(c) Getting a grade of C in P.E.
(d) Putting on a few extra pounds.
8. What adjective does William Randall use to describe Karen Randall?
9. During Suzanne Blake's first trimester of pregnancy, what does she contract?
(c) Chicken Pox.
10. When John contacts the pharmacy to learn more about Karen's prescription, he learns that she was taking what?
(a) Pain relief medication.
(b) A placebo.
(d) Blood pressure medicine.
11. When John Berry gains access to Art Lee in jail, how much time is he given for their meeting?
(a) Ten minutes.
(b) Thirty minutes.
(c) Two minutes.
(d) Twenty minutes.
12. When was the last time William Randall had seen Karen alive?
(a) A year ago.
(b) The previous Saturday.
(c) The previous Wednesday.
(d) A month ago.
13. John offers several scenarios under which an autopsy would be performed. Which of the following is NOT one of the reasons he presents?
(a) The patient dies within a day of arriving at the hospital.
(b) The patient is related to a hospital staff member.
(c) The patient is dead upon arrival at the hospital.
(d) The patient dies under violent or unusual circumstances.
14. Who is Alan Zenner?
(a) Karen's cousin.
(b) Karen's drug dealer.
(c) One of Karen's professors.
(d) A friend of Karen's.
15. Roger Whiting discovered that six months earlier, a full set of cranial X-rays had been taken of Karen. Who does he think ordered them?
(a) Walter Randall, her brother and a medical intern.
(b) Peter Randall, her uncle and physician.
(c) J.D. Randall, her father and one of the chief surgeons.
(d) Jennifer Randall, her sister and nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Art Lee tells John Berry that when Karen Randall left his office, he was under the impression that she __________.
2. At Smith College, how does John get past the receptionist in the dorm rooms?
3. When John goes to Smith College to investigate more about Karen, he speaks with Karen's roommate. What is her name?
4. Roger Whiting tells John Berry that he had given Karen Randall penicillin __________.
5. After coming to the conclusion that Art Lee uses discernment and compassion in deciding whether or not to perform an abortion, John Berry begins doing what?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)