|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does John Berry react to Roger Whiting's self-pity?
(a) He tells Roger that he should move to another city.
(b) He wants to tell Roger to get used to making mistakes.
(c) He feels like laughing out loud, but holds back.
(d) He wants to hug Roger and tell him it will be alright.
2. After Mrs. McPherson dies during heart surgery, how long does the surgeon spend trying to revive her?
(a) Seventy-two minutes.
(b) Six hours.
(c) Thirty-five minutes.
(d) Three hours.
3. At Smith College, how does John get past the receptionist in the dorm rooms?
(a) He claims to be Karen's doctor.
(b) He bribes her with chocolate.
(c) He bribes her with compliments.
(d) He claims to be Karen's uncle.
4. When John meets with Lewis Carr and talks to him in person, he learns that after being taken to the emergency by her mother, Karen had been given what?
(b) Beta blockers.
5. Without being asked, William Randall makes sure that John Berry knows what?
(a) That he is planning to move out of Boston.
(b) That he does not get along with J.D. Randall.
(c) That he did not perform an abortion on Karen.
(d) That he is planning to drop out of medical school.
6. Roger Whiting explains to John Berry that Karen Randall's most prominent symptom was what?
(a) Inability to see clearly.
(b) Inability to speak.
(c) Severe back pain.
(d) Severe bleeding.
7. In talking to Karen's roommate, John learns that Karen had claimed what?
(a) She had never slept with anyone.
(b) She had come from a poor family.
(c) She had believed someone wanted her dead.
(d) She had had abortions before entering college.
8. Suzanne Blake is a college student who __________.
(a) Has survived cervical cancer.
(b) Becomes pregnant by accident.
(c) Falls in love with a professor.
(d) Desperately wants a baby.
9. The last time that William Randall saw Karen, she had talked Uncle Peter into doing what?
(a) Taking her to the museum.
(b) Lending her his car.
(c) Taking her to the movies.
(d) Lending her fifty dollars.
10. Suzanne Blake seeks Arthur Lee because she wants him to do what?
(a) Perform an abortion.
(b) Give her the best prenatal care possible.
(c) Protect her baby from her illness.
(d) Deliver her baby.
11. Typically, when is John Berry's busiest time in the pathology lab?
(a) During the early hours of the morning.
(b) During the late afternoon.
(c) Right before midnight.
(d) Right before lunchtime.
12. When John meets with Dr. Peter Randall in his lab, what does he learn?
(a) Karen had secretly married and divorced.
(b) Karen had secretly left the country for three months.
(c) Ev is mad at John for talking with J.D.
(d) J.D. is mad at John for talking with Ev.
13. What does John want Jim Murphy to do?
(a) Test Karen's blood.
(b) Run a background check on Art.
(c) Review Karen's case.
(d) Analyze Karen's DNA.
14. Arthur Lee agrees to Suzanne Blake's request after he does what?
(a) Consults with his best friend, John Berry.
(b) Spends a sleepless night debating what to do.
(c) Clears his schedule to make room for her.
(d) Has a lengthy conversation with his spiritual adviser.
15. The police sergeant allows John Berry in to see Dr. Lee after he mistakenly thinks what?
(a) Berry is a private investigator.
(b) Berry is Lee's attorney.
(c) Berry wants Lee imprisoned.
(d) Berry is Lee's supervisor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Roger Whiting discovered that six months earlier, a full set of cranial X-rays had been taken of Karen. Who does he think ordered them?
2. When John calls Lewis Carr after meeting with the medical intern, what is Lewis' demeanor?
3. When John goes to the Randall's house after talking with the radiologist and checking with the pharmacy, whom does he see?
4. Lewis Carr tells John that according to her stepmother, Karen had named Art Lee as __________.
5. When John Berry gains access to Art Lee in jail, how much time is he given for their meeting?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)