|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Arthur Lee refuses Suzanne Blake's request, she says that she will do what?
(a) Report him to his supervisor.
(b) Drop out of college and live like a hermit.
(c) Get an abortion from someone who charges two hundred dollars.
(d) Find the next best obstetrician since he will not help her.
2. When John Berry encounters J.D. Randall after meeting with William Randall, how does J.D. greet him?
(a) Very coldly.
(b) In a friendly manner.
(d) In a threatening manner.
3. The last time that William Randall saw Karen, she had talked Uncle Peter into doing what?
(a) Taking her to the museum.
(b) Lending her fifty dollars.
(c) Lending her his car.
(d) Taking her to the movies.
4. What happens when John Berry arrives at the police station and requests to see Dr. Lee?
(a) He is greeted warmly.
(b) He is told to come back later.
(c) He is almost arrested.
(d) He is refused admittance.
5. As John watches the autopsy conducted on Karen Randall, he discovers that her cause of death was systemic anaphylaxis, which is what?
(a) A stroke.
(b) An allergic reaction.
(c) A sudden drop in blood pressure.
(d) A heart attack.
6. After Mrs. McPherson dies during heart surgery, how long does the surgeon spend trying to revive her?
(a) Seventy-two minutes.
(b) Thirty-five minutes.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Three hours.
7. When John speaks with George Bradford, what does he realize?
(a) George is about to retire.
(b) George cares only about money.
(c) George is incompetent.
(d) George believes Art is guilty.
8. When John contacts the pharmacy to learn more about Karen's prescription, he learns that she was taking what?
(b) Pain relief medication.
(c) A placebo.
(d) Blood pressure medicine.
9. John offers several scenarios under which an autopsy would be performed. Which of the following is NOT one of the reasons he presents?
(a) The patient dies under violent or unusual circumstances.
(b) The patient is related to a hospital staff member.
(c) The patient is dead upon arrival at the hospital.
(d) The patient dies within a day of arriving at the hospital.
10. At Smith College, how does John get past the receptionist in the dorm rooms?
(a) He bribes her with compliments.
(b) He claims to be Karen's doctor.
(c) He claims to be Karen's uncle.
(d) He bribes her with chocolate.
11. When John Berry tells Arthur Lee that continuing to perform abortions is insane, Lee defends himself by saying what?
(a) The police are in on it.
(b) Everyone in the hospital knows what he is doing.
(c) It is often the humane answer.
(d) Women's lives are complicated.
12. When John shares with Peter Randall that he feels Karen's autopsy shows she was not pregnant, what does Peter say?
(a) "That's very interesting."
(b) "You're lying."
(c) "That's not possible."
(d) "You're kidding."
13. What does John say in response to the Randall family's belief that Karen had paid Art Lee three hundred dollars for an abortion?
(a) The family needs to stop framing Art.
(b) Art accepts no money whatsoever for doing an abortion.
(c) Art always charges twenty-five dollars only to cover lab costs.
(d) It would be easy to trace the check and see who had cashed it.
14. Why does Karen's roommate agree to answer John's questions?
(a) She misses Karen terribly.
(b) She thinks he is a lawyer.
(c) She is afraid of being arrested.
(d) She thinks he is a relative.
15. Art Lee tells John Berry that when Karen Randall left his office, he was under the impression that she __________.
(a) Was relieved that he refused to do an abortion.
(b) Had decided to give her child up for adoption.
(c) Was going to have an abortion in another country.
(d) Had decided to have her baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Suzanne Blake's first trimester of pregnancy, what does she contract?
2. Why is John surprised when he learns that J.D. Randall is in the operating room performing open-heart surgery?
3. As John talks with people who had known Karen, what name starts to pop up?
4. As the doctor finishes up the autopsy on Karen, what does John note?
5. What does John learn from Judith and Betty about George Bradford, Art's lawyer?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)