|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Grales?
2. After the war, what does Hannegan do to Apollo?
3. What does a red tag given by the Green Star Relief Station give a person the right to do?
4. How does Taddeo greet Paulo?
5. How many priests does the abbey send on the mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have nuclear weapons been banned?
2. What shocks the abbot most about Kornhoer's invention?
3. What is Paulo's primary concern at the onset of war?
4. Who is eligible for euthanasia?
5. What is the implication of Rachel refusing baptism?
6. Why doesn't Taddeo want to alienate Hannegan?
7. Why can't Cors keep his promise to Zerchi?
8. Describe Zerchi's dream about Rachel.
9. Why does Paulo feel like a shoemaker in a village of shoemakers?
10. What might lead the reader to believe Benjamin's story about his age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss culture in the novel.
Part 1) How do cultures and cultural values change over time? Discuss the prevailing culture before the Flame Deluge and during each of the three parts of the novel.
Part 2) How do cultures clash in the novel? How do cultural clashes lead to war? How do cultural clashes determine cultural values and future development?
Essay Topic 2
Does the novel contain miracles, or is it ambiguous? Describe in your discussion possible miraculous events in the novel, including the life of the Old Jew and the actions of Rachel at the end of the novel. What are the possible natural explanations of these events? If these events are miraculous, what is their purpose and meaning, and what do they say about the nature of God?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Original Sin in the novel.
Part 1) Does Original Sin doom mankind to self-destruction? How does Original Sin show in mankind's actions throughout all three parts of the novel?
Part 2) How does Rachel represent a break from Original Sin?
Part 3) Does Original Sin doom mankind on colonies in space? Does the novel give any hope for overcoming Original Sin?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)