|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zerchi respond to news reports about the nuclear crisis?
2. What does Tadeo offer to do after the war begins?
3. How does Taddeo greet Paulo?
4. What does the Old Jew, Benjamin, do when Paulo comes to return his goat?
5. How does Taddeo react to Kornhoer's invention?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the legend of Leibowitz's death.
2. Why doesn't Taddeo want to alienate Hannegan?
3. Who is eligible for euthanasia?
4. Why does Paulo feel like a shoemaker in a village of shoemakers?
5. What shocks the abbot most about Kornhoer's invention?
6. What is the literary style of the story of the Flame Deluge read to Taddeo at the beginning of Chapter 18?
7. Why is the APLAC a necessary device?
8. How is Zerchi required to practice what he preaches about suffering and euthanasia?
9. What is the implication of Rachel refusing baptism?
10. What is Paulo's primary concern at the onset of war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss leadership in the novel. What qualities make for a good leader? Discuss both political leaders and religious leaders portrayed in the book. How do their leadership styles and beliefs lead to success and failure, both personally and for the communities they lead?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Original Sin in the novel.
Part 1) Does Original Sin doom mankind to self-destruction? How does Original Sin show in mankind's actions throughout all three parts of the novel?
Part 2) How does Rachel represent a break from Original Sin?
Part 3) Does Original Sin doom mankind on colonies in space? Does the novel give any hope for overcoming Original Sin?
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature and meaning of ritual in the novel? What is the purpose of the elaborate ritual of canonization, although the Pope and Vatican are poor? What are the rituals of the monks, and do they serve to preserve knowledge or to hide it? What is the purpose of Francis' ritual fast in the desert? Are these and other rituals in the novel effective? What happens when ritual loses its original meaning?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)