|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zerchi respond to news reports about the nuclear crisis?
2. What happens during Mrs. Grayles' confession?
3. How long is the war between Hannegan and Laredo?
4. What is Thon Maho Makh investigating?
5. How does Taddeo think the monks may react to his ideas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Taddeo want to alienate Hannegan?
2. What is the purpose of Quo peregrinaqtur grex?
3. Why does Paulo feel like a shoemaker in a village of shoemakers?
4. Who is eligible for euthanasia?
5. What angers Paulo about the news of the governments' reactions to the nuclear incident?
6. Why is the APLAC a necessary device?
7. Describe Zerchi's dream about Rachel.
8. Why have nuclear weapons been banned?
9. What is Paulo's primary concern at the onset of war?
10. Why does the idea that mankind is a servant race created by a society of betters appeal to Taddeo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Old Jew.
Part 1) What is the Old Jew's true identity? Can you make a case for more than one possible identity? What evidence is there for his identity?
Part 2) What role does he play in the story? Why is he in all three parts of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Simplification.
Part 1) What were the people's motives for the Simplification? Are the goals of the Simplification desirable? What was lost and gained because of the Simplification?
Part 2) Were any of the actions of the Simplification justified?
Part 3) Are the goals of the Simplification realistic or possible?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Original Sin in the novel.
Part 1) Does Original Sin doom mankind to self-destruction? How does Original Sin show in mankind's actions throughout all three parts of the novel?
Part 2) How does Rachel represent a break from Original Sin?
Part 3) Does Original Sin doom mankind on colonies in space? Does the novel give any hope for overcoming Original Sin?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)