|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the police officer give Zerchi?
2. After the war, what does Hannegan do to Apollo?
3. Why is Zerchi late to give Mrs. Grales confession?
4. How does Taddeo react to Kornhoer's invention?
5. To whom does Paulo compare the smile on the statue of Leibowitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have nuclear weapons been banned?
2. How does Mad Bear view Taddeo's party?
3. Why does Taddeo think Kornhoer would be valuable to him?
4. What shocks the abbot most about Kornhoer's invention?
5. What power does New Rome give Joshua's colony, in the event of the destruction of the Earth?
6. What story does Zerchi tell the dying woman, to convince her not to kill herself and her child?
7. Why doesn't Taddeo want to alienate Hannegan?
8. Why can't Cors keep his promise to Zerchi?
9. Describe Zerchi's dream about Rachel.
10. Why does the idea that mankind is a servant race created by a society of betters appeal to Taddeo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Simplification.
Part 1) What were the people's motives for the Simplification? Are the goals of the Simplification desirable? What was lost and gained because of the Simplification?
Part 2) Were any of the actions of the Simplification justified?
Part 3) Are the goals of the Simplification realistic or possible?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss hubris in the novel.
Part 1) In what ways is the Flame Deluge like the fall of the Tower of Babel?
Part 2) Discuss hubris in the characters throughout the novel, including Francis, Taddeo, and Hannegan. What are the results of hubris?
Essay Topic 3
Does the novel contain miracles, or is it ambiguous? Describe in your discussion possible miraculous events in the novel, including the life of the Old Jew and the actions of Rachel at the end of the novel. What are the possible natural explanations of these events? If these events are miraculous, what is their purpose and meaning, and what do they say about the nature of God?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)