|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who steals one of the officers' drawings?
2. Who enters the dining hall at the end of Chapter 20 to see Taddeo?
3. How does Taddeo think the monks may react to his ideas?
4. What does Zerchi do to Cors after the girl and her baby go to the mercy camp?
5. What does a red tag given by the Green Star Relief Station give a person the right to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the idea that mankind is a servant race created by a society of betters appeal to Taddeo?
2. How is Zerchi required to practice what he preaches about suffering and euthanasia?
3. What is Armbruster's attitude toward books and toward Taddeo's studies?
4. Why have nuclear weapons been banned?
5. Why doesn't Taddeo want to alienate Hannegan?
6. What power does New Rome give Joshua's colony, in the event of the destruction of the Earth?
7. What angers Paulo about the news of the governments' reactions to the nuclear incident?
8. What shocks the abbot most about Kornhoer's invention?
9. What is Gault afraid is Hannegan's intention for the abbey?
10. Why is Paulo opposed to euthanasia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss leadership in the novel. What qualities make for a good leader? Discuss both political leaders and religious leaders portrayed in the book. How do their leadership styles and beliefs lead to success and failure, both personally and for the communities they lead?
Essay Topic 2
Does the novel contain miracles, or is it ambiguous? Describe in your discussion possible miraculous events in the novel, including the life of the Old Jew and the actions of Rachel at the end of the novel. What are the possible natural explanations of these events? If these events are miraculous, what is their purpose and meaning, and what do they say about the nature of God?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Original Sin in the novel.
Part 1) Does Original Sin doom mankind to self-destruction? How does Original Sin show in mankind's actions throughout all three parts of the novel?
Part 2) How does Rachel represent a break from Original Sin?
Part 3) Does Original Sin doom mankind on colonies in space? Does the novel give any hope for overcoming Original Sin?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)