|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cors do when he breaks his promise to the abbot?
2. What is Mad Bear's attitude toward Taddeo?
3. What does Rachel say to Zerchi?
4. How long are the enemy cities bombed in the myth of the Flame Deluge?
5. What does God do to the prince in the myth of the Flame Deluge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the legend of Leibowitz's death.
2. Why do the Poet's jokes cause so much upset at the dinner?
3. What is Armbruster's attitude toward books and toward Taddeo's studies?
4. What is Paulo's primary concern at the onset of war?
5. What power does New Rome give Joshua's colony, in the event of the destruction of the Earth?
6. What makes Paulo lose hope that Taddeo might be able to intervene to prevent the upcoming war?
7. What story does Zerchi tell the dying woman, to convince her not to kill herself and her child?
8. What is the literary style of the story of the Flame Deluge read to Taddeo at the beginning of Chapter 18?
9. Why does Paulo feel like a shoemaker in a village of shoemakers?
10. What angers Paulo about the news of the governments' reactions to the nuclear incident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss faith versus science in the context of the novel. Which characters value faith, and which characters value science? Include Francis, Leibowitz, Taddeo, Dr. Cors, and Zerchi in your discussion, as well as any other characters you feel are significant to the idea of faith versus science. Are the two always incompatible? How do the fates of the characters and of the society relate to faith and to science?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss culture in the novel.
Part 1) How do cultures and cultural values change over time? Discuss the prevailing culture before the Flame Deluge and during each of the three parts of the novel.
Part 2) How do cultures clash in the novel? How do cultural clashes lead to war? How do cultural clashes determine cultural values and future development?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, various characters take on tasks they find worthwhile, devoting their time and energy to them. Francis spends his life making an illuminated version of the Leibowitz blueprint. Taddeo spends his life trying to understand physics and recreate the science of the past. Hannegan spends his life trying to conquer neighboring areas and expand his rule. Kornhoer attempts to recreate the technology of electric light. Zerchi fights to stop euthanasia of terminal radiation poisoning patients, while Dr. Cors tries to help patients by either treating them or recommending euthanasia. These are just a few examples; feel free to choose your own examples from the novel.
Choose two characters and their respective tasks to compare and contrast. What do the characters hope to gain from their work? What do others think of their work? What do they accomplish, and how does it live on in the future?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)