|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the shaman admire about the monks?
2. How does Taddeo greet Paulo?
3. What does Asian radio say about the destruction of Texarkana?
4. How does Zerchi respond to news reports about the nuclear crisis?
5. What does the statue at the mercy camp resemble?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the APLAC a necessary device?
2. What shocks the abbot most about Kornhoer's invention?
3. What is the literary style of the story of the Flame Deluge read to Taddeo at the beginning of Chapter 18?
4. Describe the legend of Leibowitz's death.
5. Why is Paulo opposed to euthanasia?
6. How is Zerchi required to practice what he preaches about suffering and euthanasia?
7. Describe Mad Bear's political plans.
8. Why can't Cors keep his promise to Zerchi?
9. What angers Paulo about the news of the governments' reactions to the nuclear incident?
10. What might lead the reader to believe Benjamin's story about his age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature and meaning of ritual in the novel? What is the purpose of the elaborate ritual of canonization, although the Pope and Vatican are poor? What are the rituals of the monks, and do they serve to preserve knowledge or to hide it? What is the purpose of Francis' ritual fast in the desert? Are these and other rituals in the novel effective? What happens when ritual loses its original meaning?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the mutations in the novel.
Part 1) How do the mutated humans in the novel stretch the definition of what it means to be human? How do they create quandaries for the Church, in defining humanity?
Part 2) How do the normal humans in the novel treat the mutants, and what does this say about humanity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss faith versus science in the context of the novel. Which characters value faith, and which characters value science? Include Francis, Leibowitz, Taddeo, Dr. Cors, and Zerchi in your discussion, as well as any other characters you feel are significant to the idea of faith versus science. Are the two always incompatible? How do the fates of the characters and of the society relate to faith and to science?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)