|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Grales?
2. What does the mythological Blackeneth do?
3. What does Joshua think he hears in the rose garden?
4. What does Paulo tell Kornhoer?
5. What does Taddeo suspect surviving mankind might be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Paulo opposed to euthanasia?
2. What is the literary style of the story of the Flame Deluge read to Taddeo at the beginning of Chapter 18?
3. How does Mad Bear view Taddeo's party?
4. What is the likely reason Taddeo does not arrive on time at the monastery?
5. What story does Zerchi tell the dying woman, to convince her not to kill herself and her child?
6. What is the implication of Rachel refusing baptism?
7. What is Paulo's primary concern at the onset of war?
8. Who is eligible for euthanasia?
9. What makes Paulo lose hope that Taddeo might be able to intervene to prevent the upcoming war?
10. Why do the Poet's jokes cause so much upset at the dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel contains many objects that take on meaning and importance to the characters. Choose one of the following characters and objects and discuss the significance of the object to that character.
1) Discuss the significance of Leibowitz's blueprint to Francis.
2) Discuss the significance of the Poet's eye to the Poet.
3) Discuss the significance of the wooden statue of Leibowitz to the three abbots.
Essay Topic 2
Does the novel contain miracles, or is it ambiguous? Describe in your discussion possible miraculous events in the novel, including the life of the Old Jew and the actions of Rachel at the end of the novel. What are the possible natural explanations of these events? If these events are miraculous, what is their purpose and meaning, and what do they say about the nature of God?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the three abbots who control the Albertine Order of Leibowitz. What are their goals and fears? How do they see their duty toward the Memorabilia, the Order, and the Church? In what different ways do they carry out those duties?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)