|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paulo do to make the Poet shut up?
2. What does Paulo tell Kornhoer?
3. What do the Asians claim the nuclear detonation is?
4. What does Tadeo offer to do after the war begins?
5. How does Zerchi react to Mercy Camp Number 18 being set up down the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Paulo lose hope that Taddeo might be able to intervene to prevent the upcoming war?
2. Why have nuclear weapons been banned?
3. Who is eligible for euthanasia?
4. What is the implication of Rachel refusing baptism?
5. What is Paulo's primary concern at the onset of war?
6. What angers Paulo about the news of the governments' reactions to the nuclear incident?
7. What is Gault afraid is Hannegan's intention for the abbey?
8. Describe Mad Bear's political plans.
9. What shocks the abbot most about Kornhoer's invention?
10. What story does Zerchi tell the dying woman, to convince her not to kill herself and her child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss hubris in the novel.
Part 1) In what ways is the Flame Deluge like the fall of the Tower of Babel?
Part 2) Discuss hubris in the characters throughout the novel, including Francis, Taddeo, and Hannegan. What are the results of hubris?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the politics involved in the canonization of Leibowitz and in Hannegan's goal to expand his rule. How do politics affect the development of knowledge? How do politics affect the acceptance of ideas and discoveries?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure of the novel. Describe the relationship of all three sections and how they represent different stages in the development of human culture. Why did the writer choose this unconventional structure, which covers three time periods and three different sets of characters? Why is there no continuous main character in the novel (except perhaps the Old Jew), and how does that affect your experience of the novel?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)