|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Grales want the abbot to do?
2. How long are the enemy cities bombed in the myth of the Flame Deluge?
3. How has Taddeo responded to the Memorabilia?
4. What does Joshua think he hears in the rose garden?
5. How does Taddeo react to Kornhoer's invention?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is eligible for euthanasia?
2. Why do the Poet's jokes cause so much upset at the dinner?
3. What is Gault afraid is Hannegan's intention for the abbey?
4. Describe Zerchi's dream about Rachel.
5. Why is Paulo opposed to euthanasia?
6. What power does New Rome give Joshua's colony, in the event of the destruction of the Earth?
7. What is the purpose of Quo peregrinaqtur grex?
8. Why does Paulo feel like a shoemaker in a village of shoemakers?
9. Describe the legend of Leibowitz's death.
10. What might lead the reader to believe Benjamin's story about his age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the three abbots who control the Albertine Order of Leibowitz. What are their goals and fears? How do they see their duty toward the Memorabilia, the Order, and the Church? In what different ways do they carry out those duties?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Simplification.
Part 1) What were the people's motives for the Simplification? Are the goals of the Simplification desirable? What was lost and gained because of the Simplification?
Part 2) Were any of the actions of the Simplification justified?
Part 3) Are the goals of the Simplification realistic or possible?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, various characters take on tasks they find worthwhile, devoting their time and energy to them. Francis spends his life making an illuminated version of the Leibowitz blueprint. Taddeo spends his life trying to understand physics and recreate the science of the past. Hannegan spends his life trying to conquer neighboring areas and expand his rule. Kornhoer attempts to recreate the technology of electric light. Zerchi fights to stop euthanasia of terminal radiation poisoning patients, while Dr. Cors tries to help patients by either treating them or recommending euthanasia. These are just a few examples; feel free to choose your own examples from the novel.
Choose two characters and their respective tasks to compare and contrast. What do the characters hope to gain from their work? What do others think of their work? What do they accomplish, and how does it live on in the future?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)