|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zerchi take to town?
2. How does the Poet die?
3. What does Joshua think he hears in the rose garden?
4. What does Paulo do to make the Poet shut up?
5. What does Rachel refuse from Zerchi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Quo peregrinaqtur grex?
2. What is the likely reason Taddeo does not arrive on time at the monastery?
3. Describe Zerchi's dream about Rachel.
4. What power does New Rome give Joshua's colony, in the event of the destruction of the Earth?
5. Why does Paulo feel like a shoemaker in a village of shoemakers?
6. Why does the idea that mankind is a servant race created by a society of betters appeal to Taddeo?
7. Describe the legend of Leibowitz's death.
8. Why doesn't Taddeo want to alienate Hannegan?
9. How does Mad Bear view Taddeo's party?
10. Why do the Poet's jokes cause so much upset at the dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel contains many objects that take on meaning and importance to the characters. Choose one of the following characters and objects and discuss the significance of the object to that character.
1) Discuss the significance of Leibowitz's blueprint to Francis.
2) Discuss the significance of the Poet's eye to the Poet.
3) Discuss the significance of the wooden statue of Leibowitz to the three abbots.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Simplification.
Part 1) What were the people's motives for the Simplification? Are the goals of the Simplification desirable? What was lost and gained because of the Simplification?
Part 2) Were any of the actions of the Simplification justified?
Part 3) Are the goals of the Simplification realistic or possible?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the three abbots who control the Albertine Order of Leibowitz. What are their goals and fears? How do they see their duty toward the Memorabilia, the Order, and the Church? In what different ways do they carry out those duties?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)