|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the war, what does Hannegan do to Apollo?
2. How long are the enemy cities bombed in the myth of the Flame Deluge?
3. What is Thon Maho Makh investigating?
4. How has Taddeo responded to the Memorabilia?
5. How will the Church transport the Memorabilia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the APLAC a necessary device?
2. How is Zerchi required to practice what he preaches about suffering and euthanasia?
3. Why doesn't Taddeo want to alienate Hannegan?
4. Describe Mad Bear's political plans.
5. Why have nuclear weapons been banned?
6. What is Gault afraid is Hannegan's intention for the abbey?
7. What is the purpose of Quo peregrinaqtur grex?
8. What is the literary style of the story of the Flame Deluge read to Taddeo at the beginning of Chapter 18?
9. Why does the idea that mankind is a servant race created by a society of betters appeal to Taddeo?
10. How does Mad Bear view Taddeo's party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the three abbots who control the Albertine Order of Leibowitz. What are their goals and fears? How do they see their duty toward the Memorabilia, the Order, and the Church? In what different ways do they carry out those duties?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of knowledge in the novel.
Part 1) What do the Memorabilia represent? Why do the monks want to preserve it?
Part 2) Is knowledge good or evil or neutral? What are the consequences, positive and negative, of mankind's gaining of knowledge? How does knowledge in the novel relate to the story of the Garden of Eden and the fall of man for tasting the fruit of the tree of knowledge?
Part 3) Can knowledge be permanently lost?
Essay Topic 3
The novel contains many objects that take on meaning and importance to the characters. Choose one of the following characters and objects and discuss the significance of the object to that character.
1) Discuss the significance of Leibowitz's blueprint to Francis.
2) Discuss the significance of the Poet's eye to the Poet.
3) Discuss the significance of the wooden statue of Leibowitz to the three abbots.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)