|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joshua think he hears in the rose garden?
2. How does Zerchi react to Mercy Camp Number 18 being set up down the road?
3. After the war, what does Hannegan do to Apollo?
4. About what do Dr. Cors and Zerchi disagree?
5. How does Paulo treat the Old Jew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Poet's jokes cause so much upset at the dinner?
2. Why is the APLAC a necessary device?
3. What might lead the reader to believe Benjamin's story about his age?
4. What makes Paulo lose hope that Taddeo might be able to intervene to prevent the upcoming war?
5. Why does Paulo feel like a shoemaker in a village of shoemakers?
6. What is the literary style of the story of the Flame Deluge read to Taddeo at the beginning of Chapter 18?
7. What is the likely reason Taddeo does not arrive on time at the monastery?
8. Why can't Cors keep his promise to Zerchi?
9. How does Mad Bear view Taddeo's party?
10. What is Armbruster's attitude toward books and toward Taddeo's studies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Original Sin in the novel.
Part 1) Does Original Sin doom mankind to self-destruction? How does Original Sin show in mankind's actions throughout all three parts of the novel?
Part 2) How does Rachel represent a break from Original Sin?
Part 3) Does Original Sin doom mankind on colonies in space? Does the novel give any hope for overcoming Original Sin?
Essay Topic 2
Does the novel contain miracles, or is it ambiguous? Describe in your discussion possible miraculous events in the novel, including the life of the Old Jew and the actions of Rachel at the end of the novel. What are the possible natural explanations of these events? If these events are miraculous, what is their purpose and meaning, and what do they say about the nature of God?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss culture in the novel.
Part 1) How do cultures and cultural values change over time? Discuss the prevailing culture before the Flame Deluge and during each of the three parts of the novel.
Part 2) How do cultures clash in the novel? How do cultural clashes lead to war? How do cultural clashes determine cultural values and future development?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)