|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does the Old Jew go by in Chapter 25?
2. What does Benjamin say the sign outside his tent means?
3. Where does the Church plan to send a mission to preserve humanity?
4. What does Zerchi do to Cors after the girl and her baby go to the mercy camp?
5. What does Asian radio say about the destruction of Texarkana?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure of the novel. Describe the relationship of all three sections and how they represent different stages in the development of human culture. Why did the writer choose this unconventional structure, which covers three time periods and three different sets of characters? Why is there no continuous main character in the novel (except perhaps the Old Jew), and how does that affect your experience of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Simplification.
Part 1) What were the people's motives for the Simplification? Are the goals of the Simplification desirable? What was lost and gained because of the Simplification?
Part 2) Were any of the actions of the Simplification justified?
Part 3) Are the goals of the Simplification realistic or possible?
Essay Topic 3
The novel contains many objects that take on meaning and importance to the characters. Choose one of the following characters and objects and discuss the significance of the object to that character.
1) Discuss the significance of Leibowitz's blueprint to Francis.
2) Discuss the significance of the Poet's eye to the Poet.
3) Discuss the significance of the wooden statue of Leibowitz to the three abbots.
This section contains 1,463 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)