|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brother Kornhoer inventing?
2. What does Flaught conclude about Francis' story?
3. Who does Paulo kick out of the guesthouse?
4. What does the sign Brother Francis finds beneath the rocks in Chapter 1 say?
5. Who insists that Francis must complete his illuminated blueprint?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Poet's living conditions.
2. What does Brother Francis need to protect himself against in the desert?
3. Describe the Valley of the Misborn.
4. Describe the pilgrim.
5. Describe Francis's reaction to the news that he's to attend the canonization.
6. In what way is Brother Francis's motivation selfish?
7. What is Taddeo's attitude toward the clergy and the Church?
8. Why is the find of Emily Leibowitz's skull important to the case for the canonization of Leibowitz?
9. What stops Brother Francis from sharing the pilgrim's food?
10. Why does Arkos accuse Francis of doing damage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the relationship between Dr. Cors and Zerchi to the relationship between Taddeo and Paulo. Each abbot meets a man of science who has a very different perspective than his own. Describe the conflicts arising between the abbots and the scientists, and discuss each abbot's perspective on the scientist.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss culture in the novel.
Part 1) How do cultures and cultural values change over time? Discuss the prevailing culture before the Flame Deluge and during each of the three parts of the novel.
Part 2) How do cultures clash in the novel? How do cultural clashes lead to war? How do cultural clashes determine cultural values and future development?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Old Jew.
Part 1) What is the Old Jew's true identity? Can you make a case for more than one possible identity? What evidence is there for his identity?
Part 2) What role does he play in the story? Why is he in all three parts of the novel?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)