|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Arkos let Francis take his vows in the Albertine Order of Leibowitz?
2. What is Leibowitz's goal in the priesthood?
3. What does Francis ask forgiveness for during confession?
4. What does Brother Francis find in the hole?
5. What is Brother Fingo's current job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Valley of the Misborn.
2. Describe Francis's reaction to the news that he's to attend the canonization.
3. Describe the Poet's living conditions.
4. What is Taddeo's attitude toward the clergy and the Church?
5. Why is Arkos glad to have the Dominicans investigating Francis's find?
6. How does Taddeo view the modern-day common man?
7. What stops Brother Francis from sharing the pilgrim's food?
8. Describe Taddeo's ideas about history.
9. What is the implication of the wry smile on Fingo's statue of Leibowitz?
10. What is Brother Francis seeking in the desert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss hubris in the novel.
Part 1) In what ways is the Flame Deluge like the fall of the Tower of Babel?
Part 2) Discuss hubris in the characters throughout the novel, including Francis, Taddeo, and Hannegan. What are the results of hubris?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss faith versus science in the context of the novel. Which characters value faith, and which characters value science? Include Francis, Leibowitz, Taddeo, Dr. Cors, and Zerchi in your discussion, as well as any other characters you feel are significant to the idea of faith versus science. Are the two always incompatible? How do the fates of the characters and of the society relate to faith and to science?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Simplification.
Part 1) What were the people's motives for the Simplification? Are the goals of the Simplification desirable? What was lost and gained because of the Simplification?
Part 2) Were any of the actions of the Simplification justified?
Part 3) Are the goals of the Simplification realistic or possible?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)