|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Abbot do when Francis won't categorically deny any mystical significance to the stranger?
2. Why does the Pope say Francis' time creating the illustrated blueprint was not wasted?
3. What does Abbot Arkos dislike about Fingo's figure of Leibowitz?
4. Why are the monks unwelcoming toward Monsignor Flaught?
5. What does the abbot do when he finds out that Francis is planning a complex, illustrated project glorifying Leibowitz's blueprint?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Brother Francis's motivation selfish?
2. What is Taddeo's attitude toward the clergy and the Church?
3. Why doesn't Francis want to join the Pope's crusade?
4. How does the Pope treat the clan chief?
5. How does Taddeo view the modern-day common man?
6. What does Francis realize about the Pope and the Vatican, on examining the Pope's cassock and the surroundings closely?
7. What is the implication of the wry smile on Fingo's statue of Leibowitz?
8. Why do the monks wear burlap habits?
9. Why were papers burned during the Simplification?
10. Describe the Valley of the Misborn.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Simplification.
Part 1) What were the people's motives for the Simplification? Are the goals of the Simplification desirable? What was lost and gained because of the Simplification?
Part 2) Were any of the actions of the Simplification justified?
Part 3) Are the goals of the Simplification realistic or possible?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Original Sin in the novel.
Part 1) Does Original Sin doom mankind to self-destruction? How does Original Sin show in mankind's actions throughout all three parts of the novel?
Part 2) How does Rachel represent a break from Original Sin?
Part 3) Does Original Sin doom mankind on colonies in space? Does the novel give any hope for overcoming Original Sin?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss culture in the novel.
Part 1) How do cultures and cultural values change over time? Discuss the prevailing culture before the Flame Deluge and during each of the three parts of the novel.
Part 2) How do cultures clash in the novel? How do cultural clashes lead to war? How do cultural clashes determine cultural values and future development?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)