|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the role of the Devil's Advocate?
2. Whose skull is rumored to be the skull with the gold tooth?
3. Why does the robber take the illumination instead of the original?
4. What does Flaught conclude about Francis' story?
5. Why does Brother Francis only hope to find paper artifacts in the fallout shelter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Francis realize about the Pope and the Vatican, on examining the Pope's cassock and the surroundings closely?
2. Why doesn't Francis merely tell the abbot what he wants to hear?
3. In what way is Brother Francis's motivation selfish?
4. How does the Pope treat the clan chief?
5. Why are a shopping list and casual notes treasured finds for Brother Francis?
6. Describe the pilgrim.
7. What was Isaac Edward Leibowitz's profession before the Flame Deluge?
8. Why do the monks wear burlap habits?
9. What is the implication of the wry smile on Fingo's statue of Leibowitz?
10. Describe Francis's reaction to the news that he's to attend the canonization.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the novel contain miracles, or is it ambiguous? Describe in your discussion possible miraculous events in the novel, including the life of the Old Jew and the actions of Rachel at the end of the novel. What are the possible natural explanations of these events? If these events are miraculous, what is their purpose and meaning, and what do they say about the nature of God?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss culture in the novel.
Part 1) How do cultures and cultural values change over time? Discuss the prevailing culture before the Flame Deluge and during each of the three parts of the novel.
Part 2) How do cultures clash in the novel? How do cultural clashes lead to war? How do cultural clashes determine cultural values and future development?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the politics involved in the canonization of Leibowitz and in Hannegan's goal to expand his rule. How do politics affect the development of knowledge? How do politics affect the acceptance of ideas and discoveries?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)