|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Francis picture the fallout shelter becoming?
2. In Chapter 1, what is Brother Francis Gerard of Utah doing in the desert?
3. Why does Brother Francis only hope to find paper artifacts in the fallout shelter?
4. What does Francis believe is the most significant event that happened to him in the desert?
5. Where did Kornhoer get the information to help him create his invention?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Francis's life before the monastery.
2. Describe Brother Kornhoer's invention.
3. Describe the Valley of the Misborn.
4. What did Leibowitz do after the Flame Deluge?
5. Why were papers burned during the Simplification?
6. What is Brother Francis seeking in the desert?
7. Why does the Church have a Devil's Advocate?
8. What was Isaac Edward Leibowitz's profession before the Flame Deluge?
9. Why is the find of Emily Leibowitz's skull important to the case for the canonization of Leibowitz?
10. Why does Arkos accuse Francis of doing damage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure of the novel. Describe the relationship of all three sections and how they represent different stages in the development of human culture. Why did the writer choose this unconventional structure, which covers three time periods and three different sets of characters? Why is there no continuous main character in the novel (except perhaps the Old Jew), and how does that affect your experience of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, various characters take on tasks they find worthwhile, devoting their time and energy to them. Francis spends his life making an illuminated version of the Leibowitz blueprint. Taddeo spends his life trying to understand physics and recreate the science of the past. Hannegan spends his life trying to conquer neighboring areas and expand his rule. Kornhoer attempts to recreate the technology of electric light. Zerchi fights to stop euthanasia of terminal radiation poisoning patients, while Dr. Cors tries to help patients by either treating them or recommending euthanasia. These are just a few examples; feel free to choose your own examples from the novel.
Choose two characters and their respective tasks to compare and contrast. What do the characters hope to gain from their work? What do others think of their work? What do they accomplish, and how does it live on in the future?
Essay Topic 3
Does the novel contain miracles, or is it ambiguous? Describe in your discussion possible miraculous events in the novel, including the life of the Old Jew and the actions of Rachel at the end of the novel. What are the possible natural explanations of these events? If these events are miraculous, what is their purpose and meaning, and what do they say about the nature of God?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)