|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Arkos let Francis take his vows in the Albertine Order of Leibowitz?
2. How does Francis initially think blueprints were produced?
3. What does Paulo have in his office?
4. In addition to being diplomatic to Taddeo, why does Apollo meet with him?
5. What happened to Francis as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cheroki's disbelief in Francis's find tell the reader about the rarity of the fallout shelter and relics?
2. Why doesn't Francis want to join the Pope's crusade?
3. Why is Arkos glad to have the Dominicans investigating Francis's find?
4. Why are a shopping list and casual notes treasured finds for Brother Francis?
5. Describe Francis's reaction to the news that he's to attend the canonization.
6. What is the implication of the wry smile on Fingo's statue of Leibowitz?
7. Why does Arkos accuse Francis of doing damage?
8. Compare the robber's view of the illuminated blueprint and the original relic to Francis's.
9. What did Leibowitz do after the Flame Deluge?
10. Describe Francis's life before the monastery.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the three abbots who control the Albertine Order of Leibowitz. What are their goals and fears? How do they see their duty toward the Memorabilia, the Order, and the Church? In what different ways do they carry out those duties?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the mutations in the novel.
Part 1) How do the mutated humans in the novel stretch the definition of what it means to be human? How do they create quandaries for the Church, in defining humanity?
Part 2) How do the normal humans in the novel treat the mutants, and what does this say about humanity?
Essay Topic 3
The novel contains many objects that take on meaning and importance to the characters. Choose one of the following characters and objects and discuss the significance of the object to that character.
1) Discuss the significance of Leibowitz's blueprint to Francis.
2) Discuss the significance of the Poet's eye to the Poet.
3) Discuss the significance of the wooden statue of Leibowitz to the three abbots.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)