|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brother Francis believe Fallout is?
2. How does Francis initially think blueprints were produced?
3. What does Flaught conclude about Francis' story?
4. Where does the unwelcome guest claim to have gotten the Old Jew's goat?
5. What does Brother Francis find that lets him know the fallout shelter hasn't been plundered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cheroki's disbelief in Francis's find tell the reader about the rarity of the fallout shelter and relics?
2. Describe Francis's life before the monastery.
3. Why does Arkos accuse Francis of doing damage?
4. How does Francis interpret the inscription "Transistorized Control System for Unit six-B"?
5. Describe Francis's reaction to the news that he's to attend the canonization.
6. Describe the Poet's living conditions.
7. Describe Brother Kornhoer's invention.
8. What is Brother Francis seeking in the desert?
9. Why is the find of Emily Leibowitz's skull important to the case for the canonization of Leibowitz?
10. How does Taddeo view the modern-day common man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, various characters take on tasks they find worthwhile, devoting their time and energy to them. Francis spends his life making an illuminated version of the Leibowitz blueprint. Taddeo spends his life trying to understand physics and recreate the science of the past. Hannegan spends his life trying to conquer neighboring areas and expand his rule. Kornhoer attempts to recreate the technology of electric light. Zerchi fights to stop euthanasia of terminal radiation poisoning patients, while Dr. Cors tries to help patients by either treating them or recommending euthanasia. These are just a few examples; feel free to choose your own examples from the novel.
Choose two characters and their respective tasks to compare and contrast. What do the characters hope to gain from their work? What do others think of their work? What do they accomplish, and how does it live on in the future?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the relationship between Dr. Cors and Zerchi to the relationship between Taddeo and Paulo. Each abbot meets a man of science who has a very different perspective than his own. Describe the conflicts arising between the abbots and the scientists, and discuss each abbot's perspective on the scientist.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the technology of Kornhoer's invention with Zerchi's malfunctioning APLAC. What do these two machines say about the respective cultures that develop them? Why are they developed? How do the characters in the novel feel about the machines? How do these machines exemplify the positive and negative aspects of technology?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)