Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brother Francis find in the hole?
2. Which of the following does Flaught NOT use as an argument against Francis' testimony?
3. What does the sampetrius place before the papal throne?
4. What does Francis admit about the strange pilgrim?
5. What does Apollo agree to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the robber's view of the illuminated blueprint and the original relic to Francis's.
2. What story does Zerchi tell the dying woman, to convince her not to kill herself and her child?
3. In what way is Brother Francis's motivation selfish?
4. What angers Paulo about the news of the governments' reactions to the nuclear incident?
5. How does the Pope treat the clan chief?
6. What did Leibowitz do after the Flame Deluge?
7. How does Taddeo view the modern-day common man?
8. What is Brother Francis seeking in the desert?
9. What is Taddeo's attitude toward the clergy and the Church?
10. What was Isaac Edward Leibowitz's profession before the Flame Deluge?
Essay Topic 1
The novel presents dreams, impressions, and myths of the characters, such as the abbot's dream about Rachel, Joshua's impression of the possible snake in the garden, Zerchi's hallucinations as he is dying, and myths about the Great Deluge and Leibowitz. How can the reader and the characters tell the truth from human perception or myth? In what way, or ways, are these perceptions and myths real? In what way or ways are they false?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the politics involved in the canonization of Leibowitz and in Hannegan's goal to expand his rule. How do politics affect the development of knowledge? How do politics affect the acceptance of ideas and discoveries?
Essay Topic 3
The novel contains many objects that take on meaning and importance to the characters. Choose one of the following characters and objects and discuss the significance of the object to that character.
1) Discuss the significance of Leibowitz's blueprint to Francis.
2) Discuss the significance of the Poet's eye to the Poet.
3) Discuss the significance of the wooden statue of Leibowitz to the three abbots.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)