|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Francis try to get the illumination back?
2. Which of the following does Flaught NOT use as an argument against Francis' testimony?
3. What does Francis believe is the most significant event that happened to him in the desert?
4. What does Francis see when he awakes?
5. What does Francis ask forgiveness for during confession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paulo feel like a shoemaker in a village of shoemakers?
2. In what way is Brother Francis's motivation selfish?
3. How does the Pope treat the clan chief?
4. Why do the Poet's jokes cause so much upset at the dinner?
5. Describe Francis's reaction to the news that he's to attend the canonization.
6. What is the literary style of the story of the Flame Deluge read to Taddeo at the beginning of Chapter 18?
7. Why have nuclear weapons been banned?
8. How does Taddeo view the modern-day common man?
9. What is Gault afraid is Hannegan's intention for the abbey?
10. What physical characteristics to Minnesotans have, and what is the likely cause of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Taddeo believes that he finds evidence that the current human race was a created race of servants, inferior to the great civilization of the past. His own personal view of humanity colors how he views this evidence. Discuss the way that personal points of view affect the interpretation of evidence and events throughout the novel. Include in your discussion Francis, Cheroki, and Arkos' reactions to the discovery of the Fallout Shelter; Paulo, Taddeo, and Armbruster's reactions to the electric light; and Zerchi's reaction to reports of movements or responses from Mrs. Grales' second head, Rachel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Original Sin in the novel.
Part 1) Does Original Sin doom mankind to self-destruction? How does Original Sin show in mankind's actions throughout all three parts of the novel?
Part 2) How does Rachel represent a break from Original Sin?
Part 3) Does Original Sin doom mankind on colonies in space? Does the novel give any hope for overcoming Original Sin?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Old Jew.
Part 1) What is the Old Jew's true identity? Can you make a case for more than one possible identity? What evidence is there for his identity?
Part 2) What role does he play in the story? Why is he in all three parts of the novel?
This section contains 1,979 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)