|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Francis remain a novitiate?
2. Why does Brother Francis only hope to find paper artifacts in the fallout shelter?
3. How does Francis try to get the illumination back?
4. What does Paulo have in his office?
5. To what does Cheroki compare Francis' desire to have a vocation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Abbot Paulo's health problem.
2. Compare the robber's view of the illuminated blueprint and the original relic to Francis's.
3. Describe the Poet's living conditions.
4. How does Francis interpret the inscription "Transistorized Control System for Unit six-B"?
5. What was Isaac Edward Leibowitz's profession before the Flame Deluge?
6. Why doesn't Francis want to join the Pope's crusade?
7. How does the Pope treat the clan chief?
8. Why is Arkos glad to have the Dominicans investigating Francis's find?
9. What does Brother Francis need to protect himself against in the desert?
10. What physical characteristics to Minnesotans have, and what is the likely cause of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss faith versus science in the context of the novel. Which characters value faith, and which characters value science? Include Francis, Leibowitz, Taddeo, Dr. Cors, and Zerchi in your discussion, as well as any other characters you feel are significant to the idea of faith versus science. Are the two always incompatible? How do the fates of the characters and of the society relate to faith and to science?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss leadership in the novel. What qualities make for a good leader? Discuss both political leaders and religious leaders portrayed in the book. How do their leadership styles and beliefs lead to success and failure, both personally and for the communities they lead?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Simplification.
Part 1) What were the people's motives for the Simplification? Are the goals of the Simplification desirable? What was lost and gained because of the Simplification?
Part 2) Were any of the actions of the Simplification justified?
Part 3) Are the goals of the Simplification realistic or possible?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)