|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brother Fingo's original trade?
2. Why does Cheroki find standing and kneeling uncomfortable?
3. Why is Brother Francis reluctant to speak to the pilgrim?
4. When did the Age of Enlightenment end?
5. What does the sign Brother Francis finds beneath the rocks in Chapter 1 say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Brother Francis seeking in the desert?
2. Why does Arkos accuse Francis of doing damage?
3. Why doesn't Francis merely tell the abbot what he wants to hear?
4. Why doesn't Francis want to join the Pope's crusade?
5. In what way is Brother Francis's motivation selfish?
6. Why are a shopping list and casual notes treasured finds for Brother Francis?
7. What stops Brother Francis from sharing the pilgrim's food?
8. What does Cheroki's disbelief in Francis's find tell the reader about the rarity of the fallout shelter and relics?
9. Describe the Valley of the Misborn.
10. What did Leibowitz do after the Flame Deluge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Old Jew.
Part 1) What is the Old Jew's true identity? Can you make a case for more than one possible identity? What evidence is there for his identity?
Part 2) What role does he play in the story? Why is he in all three parts of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss culture in the novel.
Part 1) How do cultures and cultural values change over time? Discuss the prevailing culture before the Flame Deluge and during each of the three parts of the novel.
Part 2) How do cultures clash in the novel? How do cultural clashes lead to war? How do cultural clashes determine cultural values and future development?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss leadership in the novel. What qualities make for a good leader? Discuss both political leaders and religious leaders portrayed in the book. How do their leadership styles and beliefs lead to success and failure, both personally and for the communities they lead?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)