|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to being diplomatic to Taddeo, why does Apollo meet with him?
2. What happened to Francis as a child?
3. What does Francis say about the rumors surrounding his meeting of the pilgrim?
4. Who insists that Francis must complete his illuminated blueprint?
5. What decree does the Pope give Francis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the monks wear burlap habits?
2. What physical characteristics to Minnesotans have, and what is the likely cause of them?
3. Why is Arkos glad to have the Dominicans investigating Francis's find?
4. Why are a shopping list and casual notes treasured finds for Brother Francis?
5. Describe Abbot Paulo's health problem.
6. In what way is Brother Francis's motivation selfish?
7. Describe the Valley of the Misborn.
8. What is the implication of the wry smile on Fingo's statue of Leibowitz?
9. Why does the Church have a Devil's Advocate?
10. What is Brother Francis seeking in the desert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss leadership in the novel. What qualities make for a good leader? Discuss both political leaders and religious leaders portrayed in the book. How do their leadership styles and beliefs lead to success and failure, both personally and for the communities they lead?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss culture in the novel.
Part 1) How do cultures and cultural values change over time? Discuss the prevailing culture before the Flame Deluge and during each of the three parts of the novel.
Part 2) How do cultures clash in the novel? How do cultural clashes lead to war? How do cultural clashes determine cultural values and future development?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss faith versus science in the context of the novel. Which characters value faith, and which characters value science? Include Francis, Leibowitz, Taddeo, Dr. Cors, and Zerchi in your discussion, as well as any other characters you feel are significant to the idea of faith versus science. Are the two always incompatible? How do the fates of the characters and of the society relate to faith and to science?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)