|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Brother Francis believe the Fallout was born?
2. Who attacks Francis on his way to Rome?
3. What does the Abbot want Francis to deny?
4. What does Francis confess to eating?
5. How does Francis initially think blueprints were produced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What physical characteristics to Minnesotans have, and what is the likely cause of them?
2. What is the likely reason Taddeo does not arrive on time at the monastery?
3. Why is the find of Emily Leibowitz's skull important to the case for the canonization of Leibowitz?
4. What was Isaac Edward Leibowitz's profession before the Flame Deluge?
5. How does Francis interpret the inscription "Transistorized Control System for Unit six-B"?
6. Describe the legend of Leibowitz's death.
7. What power does New Rome give Joshua's colony, in the event of the destruction of the Earth?
8. What does Cheroki's disbelief in Francis's find tell the reader about the rarity of the fallout shelter and relics?
9. Describe the Valley of the Misborn.
10. What does Brother Francis need to protect himself against in the desert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss hubris in the novel.
Part 1) In what ways is the Flame Deluge like the fall of the Tower of Babel?
Part 2) Discuss hubris in the characters throughout the novel, including Francis, Taddeo, and Hannegan. What are the results of hubris?
Essay Topic 2
The novel presents dreams, impressions, and myths of the characters, such as the abbot's dream about Rachel, Joshua's impression of the possible snake in the garden, Zerchi's hallucinations as he is dying, and myths about the Great Deluge and Leibowitz. How can the reader and the characters tell the truth from human perception or myth? In what way, or ways, are these perceptions and myths real? In what way or ways are they false?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the three abbots who control the Albertine Order of Leibowitz. What are their goals and fears? How do they see their duty toward the Memorabilia, the Order, and the Church? In what different ways do they carry out those duties?
This section contains 1,884 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)