|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what is Brother Francis Gerard of Utah doing in the desert?
2. What do the Dominicans find in the sealed inner chamber of the Fallout Shelter?
3. Why does Brother Francis only hope to find paper artifacts in the fallout shelter?
4. Venerable Boedullus created a lake by _____________________________.
5. How much weight has Francis lost during his vigil?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Taddeo view the modern-day common man?
2. Describe the pilgrim.
3. What does Francis realize about the Pope and the Vatican, on examining the Pope's cassock and the surroundings closely?
4. Why do the monks wear burlap habits?
5. What physical characteristics to Minnesotans have, and what is the likely cause of them?
6. Why doesn't Francis merely tell the abbot what he wants to hear?
7. What is Taddeo's attitude toward the clergy and the Church?
8. In what way is Brother Francis's motivation selfish?
9. Why were papers burned during the Simplification?
10. What did Leibowitz do after the Flame Deluge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the three abbots who control the Albertine Order of Leibowitz. What are their goals and fears? How do they see their duty toward the Memorabilia, the Order, and the Church? In what different ways do they carry out those duties?
Essay Topic 2
Taddeo believes that he finds evidence that the current human race was a created race of servants, inferior to the great civilization of the past. His own personal view of humanity colors how he views this evidence. Discuss the way that personal points of view affect the interpretation of evidence and events throughout the novel. Include in your discussion Francis, Cheroki, and Arkos' reactions to the discovery of the Fallout Shelter; Paulo, Taddeo, and Armbruster's reactions to the electric light; and Zerchi's reaction to reports of movements or responses from Mrs. Grales' second head, Rachel.
Essay Topic 3
The novel contains many objects that take on meaning and importance to the characters. Choose one of the following characters and objects and discuss the significance of the object to that character.
1) Discuss the significance of Leibowitz's blueprint to Francis.
2) Discuss the significance of the Poet's eye to the Poet.
3) Discuss the significance of the wooden statue of Leibowitz to the three abbots.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)