|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brother Francis find in the hole?
2. Which of the following does Flaught NOT use as an argument against Francis' testimony?
3. What does the sampetrius place before the papal throne?
4. What does Francis admit about the strange pilgrim?
5. What does Apollo agree to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the robber's view of the illuminated blueprint and the original relic to Francis's.
2. What story does Zerchi tell the dying woman, to convince her not to kill herself and her child?
3. In what way is Brother Francis's motivation selfish?
4. What angers Paulo about the news of the governments' reactions to the nuclear incident?
5. How does the Pope treat the clan chief?
6. What did Leibowitz do after the Flame Deluge?
7. How does Taddeo view the modern-day common man?
8. What is Brother Francis seeking in the desert?
9. What is Taddeo's attitude toward the clergy and the Church?
10. What was Isaac Edward Leibowitz's profession before the Flame Deluge?
Essay Topic 1
Taddeo believes that he finds evidence that the current human race was a created race of servants, inferior to the great civilization of the past. His own personal view of humanity colors how he views this evidence. Discuss the way that personal points of view affect the interpretation of evidence and events throughout the novel. Include in your discussion Francis, Cheroki, and Arkos' reactions to the discovery of the Fallout Shelter; Paulo, Taddeo, and Armbruster's reactions to the electric light; and Zerchi's reaction to reports of movements or responses from Mrs. Grales' second head, Rachel.
Essay Topic 2
What is the nature and meaning of ritual in the novel? What is the purpose of the elaborate ritual of canonization, although the Pope and Vatican are poor? What are the rituals of the monks, and do they serve to preserve knowledge or to hide it? What is the purpose of Francis' ritual fast in the desert? Are these and other rituals in the novel effective? What happens when ritual loses its original meaning?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the mutations in the novel.
Part 1) How do the mutated humans in the novel stretch the definition of what it means to be human? How do they create quandaries for the Church, in defining humanity?
Part 2) How do the normal humans in the novel treat the mutants, and what does this say about humanity?
This section contains 1,956 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)