|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the role of the Devil's Advocate?
2. Cheroki's reaction to Francis' confession is ____________.
3. What is Francis' pet project as a copyist?
4. What is Brother Fingo's original trade?
5. What does the Pope decide, based on the evidence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Brother Kornhoer's invention.
2. Why do the monks wear burlap habits?
3. Describe the Valley of the Misborn.
4. How does Francis interpret the inscription "Transistorized Control System for Unit six-B"?
5. Describe Abbot Paulo's health problem.
6. What physical characteristics to Minnesotans have, and what is the likely cause of them?
7. Describe Francis's reaction to the news that he's to attend the canonization.
8. What does Francis realize about the Pope and the Vatican, on examining the Pope's cassock and the surroundings closely?
9. Why is the find of Emily Leibowitz's skull important to the case for the canonization of Leibowitz?
10. Why does the Church have a Devil's Advocate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel presents dreams, impressions, and myths of the characters, such as the abbot's dream about Rachel, Joshua's impression of the possible snake in the garden, Zerchi's hallucinations as he is dying, and myths about the Great Deluge and Leibowitz. How can the reader and the characters tell the truth from human perception or myth? In what way, or ways, are these perceptions and myths real? In what way or ways are they false?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, various characters take on tasks they find worthwhile, devoting their time and energy to them. Francis spends his life making an illuminated version of the Leibowitz blueprint. Taddeo spends his life trying to understand physics and recreate the science of the past. Hannegan spends his life trying to conquer neighboring areas and expand his rule. Kornhoer attempts to recreate the technology of electric light. Zerchi fights to stop euthanasia of terminal radiation poisoning patients, while Dr. Cors tries to help patients by either treating them or recommending euthanasia. These are just a few examples; feel free to choose your own examples from the novel.
Choose two characters and their respective tasks to compare and contrast. What do the characters hope to gain from their work? What do others think of their work? What do they accomplish, and how does it live on in the future?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the mutations in the novel.
Part 1) How do the mutated humans in the novel stretch the definition of what it means to be human? How do they create quandaries for the Church, in defining humanity?
Part 2) How do the normal humans in the novel treat the mutants, and what does this say about humanity?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)