|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Taddeo want to look at the documents the Albertine Order of Leibowitz has?
2. Why does Francis fail to complete his shelter?
3. Why does Francis go to bed without food?
4. What is Brother Francis' first reaction to the stranger?
5. What is Brother Fingo's original trade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the monks wear burlap habits?
2. Compare the robber's view of the illuminated blueprint and the original relic to Francis's.
3. What is Brother Francis seeking in the desert?
4. Why are a shopping list and casual notes treasured finds for Brother Francis?
5. Describe the pilgrim.
6. What does Cheroki's disbelief in Francis's find tell the reader about the rarity of the fallout shelter and relics?
7. What does Francis realize about the Pope and the Vatican, on examining the Pope's cassock and the surroundings closely?
8. Why does the Church have a Devil's Advocate?
9. Describe the Valley of the Misborn.
10. What is the implication of the wry smile on Fingo's statue of Leibowitz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Simplification.
Part 1) What were the people's motives for the Simplification? Are the goals of the Simplification desirable? What was lost and gained because of the Simplification?
Part 2) Were any of the actions of the Simplification justified?
Part 3) Are the goals of the Simplification realistic or possible?
Essay Topic 2
What is the nature and meaning of ritual in the novel? What is the purpose of the elaborate ritual of canonization, although the Pope and Vatican are poor? What are the rituals of the monks, and do they serve to preserve knowledge or to hide it? What is the purpose of Francis' ritual fast in the desert? Are these and other rituals in the novel effective? What happens when ritual loses its original meaning?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Original Sin in the novel.
Part 1) Does Original Sin doom mankind to self-destruction? How does Original Sin show in mankind's actions throughout all three parts of the novel?
Part 2) How does Rachel represent a break from Original Sin?
Part 3) Does Original Sin doom mankind on colonies in space? Does the novel give any hope for overcoming Original Sin?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)