|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cheroki find standing and kneeling uncomfortable?
2. How long is the journey from the abbey to New Rome?
3. What does Brother Francis find in the hole?
4. Who educated Taddeo?
5. What does the pilgrim have to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Brother Kornhoer's invention.
2. Describe Francis's life before the monastery.
3. Why is the find of Emily Leibowitz's skull important to the case for the canonization of Leibowitz?
4. How does Taddeo view the modern-day common man?
5. What does Brother Francis need to protect himself against in the desert?
6. Describe Francis's reaction to the news that he's to attend the canonization.
7. What is Brother Francis seeking in the desert?
8. Why does the Church have a Devil's Advocate?
9. What does Cheroki's disbelief in Francis's find tell the reader about the rarity of the fallout shelter and relics?
10. Why were papers burned during the Simplification?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Original Sin in the novel.
Part 1) Does Original Sin doom mankind to self-destruction? How does Original Sin show in mankind's actions throughout all three parts of the novel?
Part 2) How does Rachel represent a break from Original Sin?
Part 3) Does Original Sin doom mankind on colonies in space? Does the novel give any hope for overcoming Original Sin?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Old Jew.
Part 1) What is the Old Jew's true identity? Can you make a case for more than one possible identity? What evidence is there for his identity?
Part 2) What role does he play in the story? Why is he in all three parts of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss hubris in the novel.
Part 1) In what ways is the Flame Deluge like the fall of the Tower of Babel?
Part 2) Discuss hubris in the characters throughout the novel, including Francis, Taddeo, and Hannegan. What are the results of hubris?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)