Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brother Francis find in the hole?
2. Which of the following does Flaught NOT use as an argument against Francis' testimony?
3. What does the sampetrius place before the papal throne?
4. What does Francis admit about the strange pilgrim?
5. What does Apollo agree to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the robber's view of the illuminated blueprint and the original relic to Francis's.
2. What story does Zerchi tell the dying woman, to convince her not to kill herself and her child?
3. In what way is Brother Francis's motivation selfish?
4. What angers Paulo about the news of the governments' reactions to the nuclear incident?
5. How does the Pope treat the clan chief?
6. What did Leibowitz do after the Flame Deluge?
7. How does Taddeo view the modern-day common man?
8. What is Brother Francis seeking in the desert?
9. What is Taddeo's attitude toward the clergy and the Church?
10. What was Isaac Edward Leibowitz's profession before the Flame Deluge?
Essay Topic 1
Compare the relationship between Dr. Cors and Zerchi to the relationship between Taddeo and Paulo. Each abbot meets a man of science who has a very different perspective than his own. Describe the conflicts arising between the abbots and the scientists, and discuss each abbot's perspective on the scientist.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Simplification.
Part 1) What were the people's motives for the Simplification? Are the goals of the Simplification desirable? What was lost and gained because of the Simplification?
Part 2) Were any of the actions of the Simplification justified?
Part 3) Are the goals of the Simplification realistic or possible?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, various characters take on tasks they find worthwhile, devoting their time and energy to them. Francis spends his life making an illuminated version of the Leibowitz blueprint. Taddeo spends his life trying to understand physics and recreate the science of the past. Hannegan spends his life trying to conquer neighboring areas and expand his rule. Kornhoer attempts to recreate the technology of electric light. Zerchi fights to stop euthanasia of terminal radiation poisoning patients, while Dr. Cors tries to help patients by either treating them or recommending euthanasia. These are just a few examples; feel free to choose your own examples from the novel.
Choose two characters and their respective tasks to compare and contrast. What do the characters hope to gain from their work? What do others think of their work? What do they accomplish, and how does it live on in the future?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)