|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the unwelcome guest claim to have gotten the Old Jew's goat?
2. What does Brother Francis find that has the name Leibowitz, I.E. on it?
3. Who educated Taddeo?
4. What is Thon Taddeo Pfardentrott interested in?
5. What are Bookleggers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Taddeo's ideas about history.
2. Describe the Poet's living conditions.
3. What does Francis realize about the Pope and the Vatican, on examining the Pope's cassock and the surroundings closely?
4. Why do the monks wear burlap habits?
5. Why are a shopping list and casual notes treasured finds for Brother Francis?
6. Describe the Valley of the Misborn.
7. Describe the pilgrim.
8. What is Taddeo's attitude toward the clergy and the Church?
9. What is the implication of the wry smile on Fingo's statue of Leibowitz?
10. Why does the Church have a Devil's Advocate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure of the novel. Describe the relationship of all three sections and how they represent different stages in the development of human culture. Why did the writer choose this unconventional structure, which covers three time periods and three different sets of characters? Why is there no continuous main character in the novel (except perhaps the Old Jew), and how does that affect your experience of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Taddeo believes that he finds evidence that the current human race was a created race of servants, inferior to the great civilization of the past. His own personal view of humanity colors how he views this evidence. Discuss the way that personal points of view affect the interpretation of evidence and events throughout the novel. Include in your discussion Francis, Cheroki, and Arkos' reactions to the discovery of the Fallout Shelter; Paulo, Taddeo, and Armbruster's reactions to the electric light; and Zerchi's reaction to reports of movements or responses from Mrs. Grales' second head, Rachel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss culture in the novel.
Part 1) How do cultures and cultural values change over time? Discuss the prevailing culture before the Flame Deluge and during each of the three parts of the novel.
Part 2) How do cultures clash in the novel? How do cultural clashes lead to war? How do cultural clashes determine cultural values and future development?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)