Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brother Francis find in the hole?
2. Which of the following does Flaught NOT use as an argument against Francis' testimony?
3. What does the sampetrius place before the papal throne?
4. What does Francis admit about the strange pilgrim?
5. What does Apollo agree to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the robber's view of the illuminated blueprint and the original relic to Francis's.
2. What story does Zerchi tell the dying woman, to convince her not to kill herself and her child?
3. In what way is Brother Francis's motivation selfish?
4. What angers Paulo about the news of the governments' reactions to the nuclear incident?
5. How does the Pope treat the clan chief?
6. What did Leibowitz do after the Flame Deluge?
7. How does Taddeo view the modern-day common man?
8. What is Brother Francis seeking in the desert?
9. What is Taddeo's attitude toward the clergy and the Church?
10. What was Isaac Edward Leibowitz's profession before the Flame Deluge?
Throughout the novel, various characters take on tasks they find worthwhile, devoting their time and energy to them. Francis spends his life making an illuminated version of the Leibowitz blueprint. Taddeo spends his life trying to understand physics and recreate the science of the past. Hannegan spends his life trying to conquer neighboring areas and expand his rule. Kornhoer attempts to recreate the technology of electric light. Zerchi fights to stop euthanasia of terminal radiation poisoning patients, while Dr. Cors tries to help patients by either treating them or recommending euthanasia. These are just a few examples; feel free to choose your own examples from the novel.
Choose two characters and their respective tasks to compare and contrast. What do the characters hope to gain from their work? What do others think of their work? What do they accomplish, and how does it live on in the future?
Discuss culture in the novel.
Part 1) How do cultures and cultural values change over time? Discuss the prevailing culture before the Flame Deluge and during each of the three parts of the novel.
Part 2) How do cultures clash in the novel? How do cultural clashes lead to war? How do cultural clashes determine cultural values and future development?
Discuss leadership in the novel. What qualities make for a good leader? Discuss both political leaders and religious leaders portrayed in the book. How do their leadership styles and beliefs lead to success and failure, both personally and for the communities they lead?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)