|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the role of the Devil's Advocate?
2. Who does Paulo kick out of the guesthouse?
3. How does Francis respond to being hit by the Abbot?
4. What does Paulo find in a vase of water in the guesthouse?
5. What is Thon Taddeo Pfardentrott interested in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are a shopping list and casual notes treasured finds for Brother Francis?
2. How does Taddeo view the modern-day common man?
3. What stops Brother Francis from sharing the pilgrim's food?
4. Describe Francis's reaction to the news that he's to attend the canonization.
5. Describe Francis's life before the monastery.
6. What is Brother Francis seeking in the desert?
7. What did Leibowitz do after the Flame Deluge?
8. Describe the Poet's living conditions.
9. How does Francis interpret the inscription "Transistorized Control System for Unit six-B"?
10. Why were papers burned during the Simplification?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the technology of Kornhoer's invention with Zerchi's malfunctioning APLAC. What do these two machines say about the respective cultures that develop them? Why are they developed? How do the characters in the novel feel about the machines? How do these machines exemplify the positive and negative aspects of technology?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss culture in the novel.
Part 1) How do cultures and cultural values change over time? Discuss the prevailing culture before the Flame Deluge and during each of the three parts of the novel.
Part 2) How do cultures clash in the novel? How do cultural clashes lead to war? How do cultural clashes determine cultural values and future development?
Essay Topic 3
The novel contains many objects that take on meaning and importance to the characters. Choose one of the following characters and objects and discuss the significance of the object to that character.
1) Discuss the significance of Leibowitz's blueprint to Francis.
2) Discuss the significance of the Poet's eye to the Poet.
3) Discuss the significance of the wooden statue of Leibowitz to the three abbots.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)