|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Abbot do with the fallout shelter?
(a) He closes is awaiting the arrival of trained archaeologists.
(b) He sends to Rome for instructions, meanwhile marking it off limits.
(c) He closes it without investigating the find.
(d) He sends three monks to inventoy it and then closes it.
2. How does Francis initially think blueprints were produced?
(a) by drawing in special white ink over blue-painted paper
(b) by filling in blue ink around the white lines
(c) by using a chemical process to impress blue ink around white lines
(d) by using a chemical process to impress white lines on blue paper
3. Why are the monks unwelcoming toward Monsignor Flaught?
(a) Flaught is an unpreposessing person whom the monks dislike on sight.
(b) Flaught has an eerie aura of the devil about him.
(c) Flaught's job is to argue against the canonization of Leibowitz.
(d) Flaught is a disbeliever who tries to force his atheism on the monks.
4. What are Bookleggers?
(a) criminals to use books to make alcohol
(b) monks who hide books on their person, usually in their pants
(c) monks who memorize books word for word
(d) monks who hide books in kegs
5. What does the sign Brother Francis finds beneath the rocks in Chapter 1 say?
(a) Fallout Shelter Closed by Order of the Fire Marshall
(b) Fallout Survival Shelter / Maximum Occupancy: 15
(c) Caution: Wet Floor
(d) Do Not Enter / Danger: High Voltage
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the unwelcome guest claim to have gotten the Old Jew's goat?
2. What priesthood does Leibowitz join?
3. How does Francis try to get the illumination back?
4. What does Francis picture the fallout shelter becoming?
5. What does Kornhoer want to remove from the alcove where Taddeo will work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Abbot Paulo's health problem.
2. What does Cheroki's disbelief in Francis's find tell the reader about the rarity of the fallout shelter and relics?
3. What does Brother Francis need to protect himself against in the desert?
4. Why doesn't Francis merely tell the abbot what he wants to hear?
5. Describe Taddeo's ideas about history.
6. What stops Brother Francis from sharing the pilgrim's food?
7. How does Francis interpret the inscription "Transistorized Control System for Unit six-B"?
8. Describe the Valley of the Misborn.
9. Why are a shopping list and casual notes treasured finds for Brother Francis?
10. How does the Pope treat the clan chief?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)