|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Is Leibowitz a saint at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Yes, he was recently canonized.
(b) No, he is not yet canonized.
(c) Yes, he was canonized long ago.
(d) No, and the monks have given up on having him canonized.
2. What does Aguerra give Francis?
(a) a rosary blessed by the Pope
(b) the original blueprint, blessed by the Pope, to bring back to the Order
(c) an ancient rifle for protection
(d) gold to ransom the illustrated blueprint
3. What does the pilgrim have to eat?
(a) a biscuit and cheese
(b) a dry crust
(c) meat and cheese
(d) milk and bread
4. Who was Taddeo's mother?
(a) a wealthy woman lacking political power
(b) a wealthy, powerful woman who scorned marriage
(c) an unmarried serving maid
(d) a poor but politically powerful woman
5. Does Francis believe the strange pilgrim was supernatural?
(a) Yes, he is completely convinced the stranger was actually St. Leibowitz.
(b) Yes, but he admits the stranger may have been an ordinary man.
(c) No, he realizes the stranger was an ordinary man who tricked him and planned an escape through the mountains.
(d) No, he believes the pilgrim was an ordinary man but doesn't know what happened to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the robber take the illumination instead of the original?
2. What is Brother Fingo's original trade?
3. What does Francis picture the fallout shelter becoming?
4. What does Brother Francis find that lets him know the fallout shelter hasn't been plundered?
5. What does the Pope decide, based on the evidence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are a shopping list and casual notes treasured finds for Brother Francis?
2. What does Brother Francis need to protect himself against in the desert?
3. Why were papers burned during the Simplification?
4. Why does the Church have a Devil's Advocate?
5. What is Taddeo's attitude toward the clergy and the Church?
6. What stops Brother Francis from sharing the pilgrim's food?
7. Describe Francis's life before the monastery.
8. What is Brother Francis seeking in the desert?
9. Describe the Valley of the Misborn.
10. What is the implication of the wry smile on Fingo's statue of Leibowitz?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)