|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Brother Francis reluctant to speak to the pilgrim?
(a) He has taken a vow of silence and can't remember how to talk.
(b) His throat is hoarse, and it hurts to talk.
(c) He is not allowed to speak during his fast.
(d) He's not sure if the pilgrim will attack him.
2. What does Francis believe is the most significant event that happened to him in the desert?
(a) finding the fallout shelter
(b) finding the relics of Leibowitz
(c) meeting the old man
(d) building a shelter for himself
3. How does Francis try to get the illumination back?
(a) by wrestling the robber
(b) by threatening the robber with reprisals from New Rome
(c) by threatening the robber with lightning from God
(d) by stabbing the robber
4. What does the Abbot do when Francis won't categorically deny any mystical significance to the stranger?
(a) refuses to allow Francis to take his vows
(b) beats Francis each day for 10 days
(c) throws Francis out of the abbey
(d) blackmails Francis into lying about his experience
5. What is Brother Francis' first reaction to the stranger?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brother Francis at first believe is in the hole?
2. When did the Age of Enlightenment end?
3. Who insists that Francis must complete his illuminated blueprint?
4. What do the Dominicans find in the sealed inner chamber of the Fallout Shelter?
5. Who attacks Francis on his way to Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Church have a Devil's Advocate?
2. Why are a shopping list and casual notes treasured finds for Brother Francis?
3. Describe the Poet's living conditions.
4. How does Francis interpret the inscription "Transistorized Control System for Unit six-B"?
5. Why were papers burned during the Simplification?
6. Describe Francis's life before the monastery.
7. How does Taddeo view the modern-day common man?
8. Why does Arkos accuse Francis of doing damage?
9. What physical characteristics to Minnesotans have, and what is the likely cause of them?
10. Describe the Valley of the Misborn.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)