|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cors do when he breaks his promise to the abbot?
(a) confesses and promises not to lapse again
(b) keeps it a secret
(c) confesses and offers to leave
(d) tries to trick the abbot into believing someone else did it
2. What does Rachel give to Zerchi?
(a) food and water
3. What do the Asians claim the nuclear detonation is?
(a) an attempt to divert a subterranean river
(b) a failed weapons test
(c) an illegal attack on their soil
(d) a rocket ship that blew up on launch
4. What might prevent Joshua and the monks from taking off in their spaceship?
(a) The Church will likely change its mind about the mission.
(b) The government might revoke the Church's right to its own space missions.
(c) The spaceship is untested and might not fly.
(d) The monks will likely back out at the last minute.
5. What does the shaman admire about the monks?
(a) how well they endure torture
(b) how craftily they avoid capture
(c) how well they battle
(d) how delicious they taste
6. What does Paulo do to make the Poet shut up?
(a) steps on his foot
(b) takes his artificial eye
(c) puts a hand oveer the Poet's mouth
(d) kicks him out of the abbey
7. Why does Taddeo prefer the fragile original documents to the copies?
(a) The copyists were not always accurate.
(b) The copies have faded worse over time than the originals.
(c) Though the originals are fraile, the copies are even more delicate.
(d) The original documents can be carbon dated.
8. What does the police officer give Zerchi?
(a) an injunction to stop the protests
(b) papers for a civil court case about the protest
(c) a subpoena to testify about the mercy camp
(d) a medal for service to the refugees
9. What does Zerchi ask Cors to do, in order to get permission to use the abbey's land?
(a) promise never enter the gates of the old abbey
(b) promise to give medical aid to all refugees
(c) swear in writing not to recommend suicide
(d) pay a fee to the church
10. To what does Taddeo compare the Poet?
(a) the Tower of Babbel
(b) a mad king
(c) a wise king
(d) a court jester
11. Why does Taddeo want the measurement of how deep the wood is worn down at the entrance to the refectory?
(a) to find out if there are forgotten secret passages in the abbey
(b) as evidence of how well cared for the abbey is
(c) to have evidence of how many monks passed through over how many years
(d) to find out the average weight of the monks over the years
12. Why does Mad Bear stop raiding Hannegan?
(a) to plan a larger assault
(b) in exchange for weapons and supplies
(c) to stop upcoming war
(d) to encourage peace and joint prosperity
13. How long does the abbot give Joshua to decide whether to go on the mission to Alpha Centauri?
(a) two hours
(b) a half hour
(c) an hour
(d) one day
14. What does Benjamin offer Paulo to drink?
15. What does Joshua think he hears in the rose garden?
(a) a snake
(b) a rat
(c) a bird
(d) a voice
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Taddeo give Paulo before he leaves?
2. What does Rachel refuse from Zerchi?
3. Where does the Church plan to send a mission to preserve humanity?
4. What is the Vatican's response?
5. What happens to the King of Loredo?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)