|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paulo do to make the Poet shut up?
(a) kicks him out of the abbey
(b) takes his artificial eye
(c) steps on his foot
(d) puts a hand oveer the Poet's mouth
2. How will the Church transport the Memorabilia?
(a) on microfilm
(b) in secret compartments on the spaceship
(c) digitally in a supercomputer
(d) as memorized by the monks going on the mission
3. What does Joshua's data show?
(a) The fluctuations in radiation are meaningless anomalies.
(b) Nuclear weapons tests were likely failures.
(c) A new kind of non-nuclear destructive weapon is being developed.
(d) Nuclear weapons are likely being tested.
4. What name does the Old Jew go by in Chapter 25?
5. What does Benjamin say the sign outside his tent means?
(a) "Fortunes Told Inside"
(b) "Tents Mended Here"
(c) "Stormy Weather Ahead"
(d) "Beware of Dogs"
6. How has Taddeo responded to the Memorabilia?
(a) He is amazed at the amount of lost knowledge, which will take decades to fully understand.
(b) He says too much is lost to make sense of it.
(c) He believes that most of the Memorabilia is faked and meaningless.
(d) He says that he will be able to understand it all within 5 years.
7. How does Zerchi respond to news reports about the nuclear crisis?
(a) He trusts God to save him.
(b) He is cautiously optimistic.
(c) He is enraged.
(d) He is complacent.
8. How does Taddeo react to Kornhoer's invention?
(a) with horror
(b) with amazed interest
(c) with distain
(d) with boredom
9. Why does Taddeo want the measurement of how deep the wood is worn down at the entrance to the refectory?
(a) to find out if there are forgotten secret passages in the abbey
(b) to find out the average weight of the monks over the years
(c) as evidence of how well cared for the abbey is
(d) to have evidence of how many monks passed through over how many years
10. Who is Rachel?
(a) Mrs. Grales' second head
(b) Mrs. Grales' niece
(c) Mrs. Grales' sister
(d) Mrs. Grales' daughter
11. Who enters the dining hall at the end of Chapter 20 to see Taddeo?
(a) the Poet
(b) the Old Jew
(c) the Pope
(d) a messenger from Hannegan
12. How does the Poet die?
(a) He is hanged for treason.
(b) He is shot while stabbing an officer who is trying to capture refugees.
(c) He commits suicide.
(d) He runs out of water while he is lost in the desert.
13. Who does Zerchi take to town?
(b) a dying girl and her suffering baby
(c) Mrs. Grayles and Rachel
(d) three of his monks
14. Where does the Church plan to send a mission to preserve humanity?
(a) Alpha Centauri
(d) the moon
15. What does the Old Jew, Benjamin, do when Paulo comes to return his goat?
(a) He makes a bet with Paulo over the goat.
(b) He rewards Paulo for returning the goat.
(c) He takes the goat back without thanks.
(d) He refuses to take the goat back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does God do to the prince in the myth of the Flame Deluge?
2. What does the police officer give Zerchi?
3. What does the mythological Blackeneth do?
4. What does Benjamin offer Paulo to drink?
5. How many monks does it take to run the invention?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)