|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the APLAC machine do, when it works?
(a) heats up food
(b) provides power to the abbey
(c) translates messages into other languages
(d) decodes ciphers used to send secret messages
2. What does Sister Helene interrupt Joshua doing?
(a) contemplating suicide
(b) translating a text
(c) stealing secret information
(d) taking a bath
3. Who is Rachel?
(a) Mrs. Grales' niece
(b) Mrs. Grales' sister
(c) Mrs. Grales' daughter
(d) Mrs. Grales' second head
4. What does Mad Bear rule?
(a) the Plateau clans
(b) the Mountain clans
(c) the Barbarian clans
(d) the Plains clans
5. Why doesn't Mrs. Grayles go to Father Selo for confession?
(a) Mrs. Grayles doesn't like Father Selo.
(b) Father Selo has died.
(c) Mrs. Grayles is embarrassed to confess to Father Selo.
(d) One of her sins has to do with Father Selo.
6. How many monks does it take to run the invention?
7. Who does Zerchi take to town?
(b) three of his monks
(c) a dying girl and her suffering baby
(d) Mrs. Grayles and Rachel
8. Who is Mrs. Grales?
(a) a local fortune teller
(b) a villager who worships St. Leibowitz
(c) a mutant two-headed woman
(d) a mysterious holy woman who visits the abbey
9. How does Zerchi react to Mercy Camp Number 18 being set up down the road?
(a) He talks with Cors and is convinced the camp is needed.
(b) He turns a blind eye to the camp.
(c) He orders monks to picket in protest.
(d) He plans to sabotage the camp.
10. What does Mrs. Grales want the abbot to do?
(a) give Rachel a last confession
(b) take Rachel off the planet
(c) baptize Rachel
(d) give Rachel communion
11. To what does Taddeo compare the Poet?
(a) a wise king
(b) a mad king
(c) a court jester
(d) the Tower of Babbel
12. How does Paulo treat the Old Jew?
(a) as a heathen who must be converted
(b) as an enemy
(c) as a friend
13. What does the mythological Blackeneth do?
(a) sets off the first nuclear device
(b) convinces the prince that it's okay to use small numbers of nuclear weapons
(c) warns the prince against hubris in starting wars
(d) provides the technology to make the Great Fire
14. What does Taddeo give Paulo before he leaves?
(a) the officers' sketches of the abbey
(b) a pouch full of gold
(c) a warning about Hannegan
(d) a transistor from before the Great Deluge
15. What does Taddeo believe the monks have done?
(a) kept Kornhoer's invention secret for centuries
(b) performed a trick on him
(c) received a holy inspiration from God
(d) leapt ahead in scientific advances through intuition
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joshua think he hears in the rose garden?
2. What does Paulo do to make the Poet shut up?
3. What does a red tag given by the Green Star Relief Station give a person the right to do?
4. What name does the Old Jew go by in Chapter 25?
5. What does the Old Jew, Benjamin, do when Paulo comes to return his goat?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)