|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many monks does it take to run the invention?
2. Why does Taddeo want the measurement of how deep the wood is worn down at the entrance to the refectory?
(a) as evidence of how well cared for the abbey is
(b) to find out the average weight of the monks over the years
(c) to find out if there are forgotten secret passages in the abbey
(d) to have evidence of how many monks passed through over how many years
3. How will the Church transport the Memorabilia?
(a) in secret compartments on the spaceship
(b) on microfilm
(c) as memorized by the monks going on the mission
(d) digitally in a supercomputer
4. What does Benjamin say the sign outside his tent means?
(a) "Stormy Weather Ahead"
(b) "Fortunes Told Inside"
(c) "Tents Mended Here"
(d) "Beware of Dogs"
5. How does Taddeo react to Kornhoer's invention?
(a) with amazed interest
(b) with distain
(c) with boredom
(d) with horror
6. What happens to the King of Loredo?
(a) He is poisoned.
(b) He is beheaded.
(c) He surrenders immediately to Hannegan.
(d) He dies in battle.
7. What does Sister Helene interrupt Joshua doing?
(a) stealing secret information
(b) contemplating suicide
(c) taking a bath
(d) translating a text
8. How does Taddeo react to the stories of monks who have died or gone blind preserving the Memorabilia?
(a) He is indifferent to their sacrifice.
(b) He thinks the stories are false.
(c) He wishes he could go back and save them.
(d) He honors their memories.
9. What behavior of Taddeo's party worries Paulo?
(a) the party pushing around the monks
(b) heavy drinking and dancing
(c) the officers making drawings of the abbey's defenses
(d) the officers refusing to allow the lower ranked party members to eat
10. What is Mad Bear's attitude toward Taddeo?
11. What does the APLAC machine do, when it works?
(a) heats up food
(b) decodes ciphers used to send secret messages
(c) translates messages into other languages
(d) provides power to the abbey
12. What is Thon Maho Makh investigating?
(a) the possible existence of a lost pocket of civilization
(b) the beginning of the solar system
(c) the effects of nuclear radiation on humanity
(d) evolution and the origin of humanity
13. What does Taddeo give Paulo before he leaves?
(a) a warning about Hannegan
(b) the officers' sketches of the abbey
(c) a transistor from before the Great Deluge
(d) a pouch full of gold
14. How long is the war between Hannegan and Laredo?
(a) one week
(b) one year
(c) one day
(d) one month
15. What does the mythological Blackeneth do?
(a) sets off the first nuclear device
(b) convinces the prince that it's okay to use small numbers of nuclear weapons
(c) provides the technology to make the Great Fire
(d) warns the prince against hubris in starting wars
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Taddeo compare the Poet?
2. What does Asian radio say about the destruction of Texarkana?
3. Who is with Taddeo when he arrives?
4. Why does Mad Bear stop raiding Hannegan?
5. What does Paulo tell Kornhoer?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)