|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Taddeo compare the Poet?
(a) a court jester
(b) the Tower of Babbel
(c) a wise king
(d) a mad king
2. What does Joshua's data show?
(a) Nuclear weapons are likely being tested.
(b) The fluctuations in radiation are meaningless anomalies.
(c) A new kind of non-nuclear destructive weapon is being developed.
(d) Nuclear weapons tests were likely failures.
3. What does Mad Bear drink?
(a) goat's blood
(b) pig's blood
(c) steer's blood
(d) chicken's blood
4. What is Thon Esser Shon trying to create?
(a) a solar battery
(b) a black hole
(d) living protoplasm
5. What does the statue at the mercy camp resemble?
(a) the President
(c) a weeping mother
(d) the Old Jew
6. What does the APLAC do to Zerchi's data?
(a) falsifies it
(b) loses it
(c) reverses it
(d) burns it
7. How does Taddeo greet Paulo?
(c) with a present
(d) with dozens of questions
8. What does the mythological Blackeneth do?
(a) provides the technology to make the Great Fire
(b) warns the prince against hubris in starting wars
(c) convinces the prince that it's okay to use small numbers of nuclear weapons
(d) sets off the first nuclear device
9. What does Mrs. Grales want the abbot to do?
(a) give Rachel communion
(b) give Rachel a last confession
(c) take Rachel off the planet
(d) baptize Rachel
10. How does the Poet die?
(a) He is shot while stabbing an officer who is trying to capture refugees.
(b) He commits suicide.
(c) He is hanged for treason.
(d) He runs out of water while he is lost in the desert.
11. How will the Church transport the Memorabilia?
(a) digitally in a supercomputer
(b) on microfilm
(c) in secret compartments on the spaceship
(d) as memorized by the monks going on the mission
12. What does Paulo tell Kornhoer?
(a) Paulo tells Kornhoer the invention is not as impressive as he thought.
(b) Paulo congratulates Kornhoer on his success.
(c) Paulo tells Kornhoer the invention must be dismantled.
(d) Paulo rebukes Kornhoer for frighening everyone.
13. How does Taddeo react to Kornhoer's invention?
(a) with horror
(b) with amazed interest
(c) with boredom
(d) with distain
14. What does Taddeo believe the monks have done?
(a) kept Kornhoer's invention secret for centuries
(b) leapt ahead in scientific advances through intuition
(c) received a holy inspiration from God
(d) performed a trick on him
15. What does Taddeo want Kornhoer to do?
(a) come to the collegium to do research
(b) explain how the invention works
(c) not tell anyone about the invention yet
(d) give Taddeo his invention
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Taddeo react to the stories of monks who have died or gone blind preserving the Memorabilia?
2. Who does Hannegan issue a decree condemning?
3. How long are the enemy cities bombed in the myth of the Flame Deluge?
4. Who enters the dining hall at the end of Chapter 20 to see Taddeo?
5. What does Rachel give to Zerchi?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)