|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Brother Kornhoer inventing?
(a) an electtric light
(b) a copying machine
(c) a telegraph
(d) a printing press
2. In Chapter 1, what is Brother Francis Gerard of Utah doing in the desert?
(a) looking for pilgrims
(b) searching for relics
(c) running away
3. Does Francis believe the strange pilgrim was supernatural?
(a) Yes, but he admits the stranger may have been an ordinary man.
(b) No, he realizes the stranger was an ordinary man who tricked him and planned an escape through the mountains.
(c) No, he believes the pilgrim was an ordinary man but doesn't know what happened to him.
(d) Yes, he is completely convinced the stranger was actually St. Leibowitz.
4. What is the purpose of Francis' black eye patch?
(a) to stop his wandering eye from looking off the path
(b) to show that he has one eye always trained on heaven
(c) to keep the dust from irritating his infected eye
(d) to suggest to the superstitious that he has the evil eye
5. Why does Cheroki find standing and kneeling uncomfortable?
(a) He has arthritis.
(b) He is used to sitting in a chair.
(c) His legs are wounded.
(d) He was mutated by radiation.
6. Is Leibowitz a saint at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Yes, he was recently canonized.
(b) No, he is not yet canonized.
(c) Yes, he was canonized long ago.
(d) No, and the monks have given up on having him canonized.
7. To what does Brother Francis attribute his finding of the fallout shelter?
(a) an inevitable, predestined fate
(b) a purposeful design by the strange pilgrim
(c) a lucky accident
(d) a sign from God of his vocation as a monk of Leibowitz
8. What does Brother Francis find that has the name Leibowitz, I.E. on it?
(a) a poster
(c) a blueprint
(d) a diary
9. What confession prompts Cheroki to withhold absolution from Francis?
(a) Francis' altercation with the pilgrim
(b) Francis' story about finding the relics
(c) Francis' failure to finish his shelter
(d) Francis' temptation to eat the pilgrim's food
10. When does Brother Francis believe the Fallout was born?
(a) in the Flame Deluge
(b) at the end of time
(c) in the Firey Exculpation
(d) in the Great Fire
11. What is Brother Francis' first reaction to the stranger?
12. How does Francis initially think blueprints were produced?
(a) by using a chemical process to impress white lines on blue paper
(b) by filling in blue ink around the white lines
(c) by using a chemical process to impress blue ink around white lines
(d) by drawing in special white ink over blue-painted paper
13. What term for the unlearned do the people of the Simplification embrace as a complimentary term?
14. Why doesn't Francis open the racing form?
(a) Francis considers the racing form holy and doesn't want to touch it.
(b) The racing form is stuck together with some kind of glue.
(c) The monks believe that gambling is a sin.
(d) The old paper is too fragile.
15. With what does the pilgrim attack Brother Francis?
(a) a stick
(b) a stone
(c) a staff
(d) a knife
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the pilgrim have to eat?
2. Why does Taddeo want to look at the documents the Albertine Order of Leibowitz has?
3. Who does the Pope ask to come to New Rome?
4. What does the sampetrius place before the papal throne?
5. What would we term Taddeo's field of study today?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)