|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Abbot do when Francis won't categorically deny any mystical significance to the stranger?
(a) refuses to allow Francis to take his vows
(b) throws Francis out of the abbey
(c) beats Francis each day for 10 days
(d) blackmails Francis into lying about his experience
2. Does Francis believe the strange pilgrim was supernatural?
(a) Yes, but he admits the stranger may have been an ordinary man.
(b) No, he realizes the stranger was an ordinary man who tricked him and planned an escape through the mountains.
(c) No, he believes the pilgrim was an ordinary man but doesn't know what happened to him.
(d) Yes, he is completely convinced the stranger was actually St. Leibowitz.
3. Why are the monks unwelcoming toward Monsignor Flaught?
(a) Flaught is a disbeliever who tries to force his atheism on the monks.
(b) Flaught has an eerie aura of the devil about him.
(c) Flaught is an unpreposessing person whom the monks dislike on sight.
(d) Flaught's job is to argue against the canonization of Leibowitz.
4. What does Apollo agree to do?
(a) ask the abbot, Dom Paulo, to lend the documents to Taddeo
(b) go to the abbey to get the documents for Taddeo
(c) go to New Rome to ask permission for Taddeo to see the documents
(d) go to the abbey bring back proof of auhentication of the documents
5. To what does Brother Francis attribute his finding of the fallout shelter?
(a) an inevitable, predestined fate
(b) a sign from God of his vocation as a monk of Leibowitz
(c) a purposeful design by the strange pilgrim
(d) a lucky accident
6. What would we term Taddeo's field of study today?
7. What does Brother Francis find in the hole?
(a) a box
(b) a book
(c) a coffin
(d) a staircase
8. What reason does the Abbot give for disbelieving the story of the pilgrim?
(a) The road is blocked, so no one could have come through.
(b) Another novice walking along the road saw no one.
(c) No pilgrim stopped at the abbey.
(d) He gives no reason.
9. What is the result of Kornhoer's test of his invention?
(a) The invention works for a while and then quits without explanation.
(b) The invention explodes.
(c) The invention works.
(d) The invention quietly fails.
10. What does the pilgrim find for Brother Francis?
(a) some fruit
(b) a bird
(c) a stick
(d) a stone
11. What are Bookleggers?
(a) monks who hide books in kegs
(b) monks who memorize books word for word
(c) criminals to use books to make alcohol
(d) monks who hide books on their person, usually in their pants
12. How much weight has Francis lost during his vigil?
(a) 10 pounds
(b) 30 pounds
(c) 40 pounds
(d) 20 pounds
13. What does the Abbot do with the fallout shelter?
(a) He sends three monks to inventoy it and then closes it.
(b) He sends to Rome for instructions, meanwhile marking it off limits.
(c) He closes is awaiting the arrival of trained archaeologists.
(d) He closes it without investigating the find.
14. What is Brother Kornhoer inventing?
(a) a telegraph
(b) a printing press
(c) an electtric light
(d) a copying machine
15. When did the Age of Enlightenment end?
(a) the 1990s
(b) the 1970s
(c) the 1960s
(d) the 1980s
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Thon Taddeo Pfardentrott interested in?
2. How does the Pope enter the chamber for the canonization?
3. What priesthood does Leibowitz join?
4. What does Paulo refuse to do?
5. What does Brother Francis at first believe is in the hole?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)