|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of Kornhoer's test of his invention?
(a) The invention works for a while and then quits without explanation.
(b) The invention works.
(c) The invention quietly fails.
(d) The invention explodes.
2. What does Francis ask forgiveness for during confession?
(a) the discovery of the shelter holding up Leibowitz's sainthood
(b) Francis's hubris for desiring to attend the canonization
(c) the loss of the illuminated blueprint due to Francis's carelessness
(d) Francis's desire to have his illustrated blueprint admired
3. Why does the Pope say Francis' time creating the illustrated blueprint was not wasted?
(a) The illustrated blueprint is still beautiful, even though it is lost.
(b) No time spent in labor of God is ever wasted.
(c) The Pope says that Francis's time won't be wasted if the blueprint is recovered.
(d) His efforts caused the robber to take the illustrated blueprint instead of the real relic.
4. What reason does the Abbot give for disbelieving the story of the pilgrim?
(a) No pilgrim stopped at the abbey.
(b) He gives no reason.
(c) Another novice walking along the road saw no one.
(d) The road is blocked, so no one could have come through.
5. What does the abbot do when he finds out that Francis is planning a complex, illustrated project glorifying Leibowitz's blueprint?
(a) orders Francis to stop work on the project immediately
(b) shrugs and walk away
(c) sends Francis back to work in the kitchen
(d) revokes Francis's vocation
6. What does Brother Francis at first believe is in the hole?
(a) an animal
(c) the remains of Blessed Leibowitz
(d) a scroll
7. What does the Abbot do when Francis won't categorically deny any mystical significance to the stranger?
(a) throws Francis out of the abbey
(b) blackmails Francis into lying about his experience
(c) beats Francis each day for 10 days
(d) refuses to allow Francis to take his vows
8. Where does the Abbot send Francis?
(a) to his room to meditate on his sins
(b) to the infirmary
(c) back to his vigil in a new location
(d) back to the ruins
9. Venerable Boedullus created a lake by _____________________________.
(a) accidentally setting off a weapon
(b) rerouting a river
(c) praying for the lake to appear
(d) digging for 50 years
10. With what does the pilgrim attack Brother Francis?
(a) a staff
(b) a stone
(c) a stick
(d) a knife
11. What does the pilgrim find for Brother Francis?
(a) a bird
(b) a stone
(c) a stick
(d) some fruit
12. What does Paulo refuse to do?
(a) greet Taddeo on his arrival
(b) allow Kornhoer's invention to remain assembled
(c) see a doctor
(d) allow Taddeo in the abbey
13. Why is Brother Francis reluctant to speak to the pilgrim?
(a) He is not allowed to speak during his fast.
(b) He's not sure if the pilgrim will attack him.
(c) He has taken a vow of silence and can't remember how to talk.
(d) His throat is hoarse, and it hurts to talk.
14. What does Abbot Arkos dislike about Fingo's figure of Leibowitz?
(a) its laughing eyes
(b) its overlarge belly
(c) its wry smile
(d) its overlarge ears
15. Why does Taddeo want the documents to be brought to him instead of going to the abbey?
(a) He believes scholars will think conclusions he comes to at the abbey are biased.
(b) He is too ill to travel.
(c) He thinks that if he finds out the documents are forged, the monks might try to harm him.
(d) He thinks that the monks at the abbey will try to force him to stay.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Francis remain a novitiate?
2. What is Brother Fingo's current job?
3. What does Francis confess to eating?
4. What does the sampetrius place before the papal throne?
5. What does Paulo have in his office?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)