|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Brother Francis only hope to find paper artifacts in the fallout shelter?
(a) Excavating for anything but paper documents has been ruled too dangerous.
(b) Paper artifacts are most valuable because most paper has decayed.
(c) Brother Francis confuses all paper for the paper money used before the catastrophe.
(d) Brother Francis believes he can use carbon dating on paper artifacts to date the site.
2. What is the role of the Devil's Advocate?
(a) to argue against Leibowitz's sainthood
(b) to argue for the truth of the rumors
(c) to argue against Francis's priesthood
(d) to argue against continuing the word of the Order
3. What does the Abbot do with the fallout shelter?
(a) He closes it without investigating the find.
(b) He sends three monks to inventoy it and then closes it.
(c) He sends to Rome for instructions, meanwhile marking it off limits.
(d) He closes is awaiting the arrival of trained archaeologists.
4. Who educated Taddeo?
5. Why does the Pope say Francis' time creating the illustrated blueprint was not wasted?
(a) The illustrated blueprint is still beautiful, even though it is lost.
(b) No time spent in labor of God is ever wasted.
(c) His efforts caused the robber to take the illustrated blueprint instead of the real relic.
(d) The Pope says that Francis's time won't be wasted if the blueprint is recovered.
6. What does the Pope decide, based on the evidence?
(a) to remove Leibowitz's name from the rolls of possible cannonization
(b) to disband the Albertine Order of Leibowitz
(c) to canonize Leibowitz
(d) to hold a second investigation
7. What is Brother Francis' first reaction to the stranger?
8. Who does the Pope ask to come to New Rome?
9. How does Francis initially think blueprints were produced?
(a) by filling in blue ink around the white lines
(b) by using a chemical process to impress blue ink around white lines
(c) by drawing in special white ink over blue-painted paper
(d) by using a chemical process to impress white lines on blue paper
10. Why does Cheroki finally absolve Francis?
(a) Fingo confirms that Francis' discovery is real.
(b) Cheroki is worried about Francis' health and doesn't want him to die without absolution.
(c) Francis is finally truly sorry for his sins.
(d) Fingo convinces Cheroki that Francis meant no harm.
11. What does the pilgrim have to eat?
(a) a biscuit and cheese
(b) a dry crust
(c) milk and bread
(d) meat and cheese
12. In addition to being diplomatic to Taddeo, why does Apollo meet with him?
(a) He hopes to get political information.
(b) He hopes to persuade Taddeo to ask for the documents to be sent to him.
(c) He hopes to find out what Taddeo knows about Leibowitz.
(d) He hopes to ask a favor.
13. What reason does the Abbot give for disbelieving the story of the pilgrim?
(a) He gives no reason.
(b) No pilgrim stopped at the abbey.
(c) Another novice walking along the road saw no one.
(d) The road is blocked, so no one could have come through.
14. With what does the pilgrim attack Brother Francis?
(a) a knife
(b) a stick
(c) a stone
(d) a staff
15. What does the pilgrim find for Brother Francis?
(a) a stone
(b) a bird
(c) a stick
(d) some fruit
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the journey from the abbey to New Rome?
2. What is Leibowitz's goal in the priesthood?
3. Why is Brother Francis reluctant to speak to the pilgrim?
4. Who was Taddeo's mother?
5. Why does Arkos let Francis take his vows in the Albertine Order of Leibowitz?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)