|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Francis initially think blueprints were produced?
(a) by using a chemical process to impress white lines on blue paper
(b) by using a chemical process to impress blue ink around white lines
(c) by drawing in special white ink over blue-painted paper
(d) by filling in blue ink around the white lines
2. Where does the unwelcome guest claim to have gotten the Old Jew's goat?
(a) in a game of poker
(b) from the slaughterhouse
(c) in a game of mumbly-peg
(d) wandering aimlessly on the moor
3. What is the result of Kornhoer's test of his invention?
(a) The invention works for a while and then quits without explanation.
(b) The invention quietly fails.
(c) The invention works.
(d) The invention explodes.
4. How long is the journey from the abbey to New Rome?
(a) three years
(b) three days
(c) three months
(d) three weeks
5. Where does the Abbot send Francis?
(a) to the infirmary
(b) to his room to meditate on his sins
(c) back to his vigil in a new location
(d) back to the ruins
6. Which of the following does Flaught NOT use as an argument against Francis' testimony?
(a) Francis might be mistaken that the "Em" referrs to Emily Leibowitz.
(b) Francis might have misread the word Leibowitz on the blueprint.
(c) Francis might be suffering from mental illness.
(d) Francis' finds might be forged.
7. What is Thon Taddeo Pfardentrott interested in?
(a) studying the Leibowitzian documents of the monks
(b) taking over power from Hannegan
(c) avoiding the coming war
(d) making sure his half-sister marries well
8. Why does Taddeo want to look at the documents the Albertine Order of Leibowitz has?
(a) for their relgious value
(b) for their linguistic value
(c) for their scientific value
(d) for their mystical value
9. What does the Abbot do with the fallout shelter?
(a) He closes is awaiting the arrival of trained archaeologists.
(b) He sends to Rome for instructions, meanwhile marking it off limits.
(c) He sends three monks to inventoy it and then closes it.
(d) He closes it without investigating the find.
10. Is Leibowitz a saint at the beginning of the novel?
(a) No, and the monks have given up on having him canonized.
(b) Yes, he was recently canonized.
(c) Yes, he was canonized long ago.
(d) No, he is not yet canonized.
11. What does Flaught conclude about Francis' story?
(a) It is a manufactured response, made up by the monks together.
(b) It is important evidence.
(c) It is trivial.
(d) It is a true miracle.
12. What is the purpose of Francis' black eye patch?
(a) to stop his wandering eye from looking off the path
(b) to suggest to the superstitious that he has the evil eye
(c) to show that he has one eye always trained on heaven
(d) to keep the dust from irritating his infected eye
13. What does Francis admit about the strange pilgrim?
(a) His words seemed drowned out, perhaps by a heavenly choir.
(b) After he left, Francis did discover some rose petals in the dirt.
(c) His head glowed as if he might have a halo.
(d) He wrote two unintelligible marks on a rock.
14. Who does the Pope ask to come to New Rome?
15. What are Bookleggers?
(a) monks who memorize books word for word
(b) monks who hide books in kegs
(c) monks who hide books on their person, usually in their pants
(d) criminals to use books to make alcohol
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the pilgrim find for Brother Francis?
2. What is Francis' pet project as a copyist?
3. What does the sampetrius place before the papal throne?
4. What is Leibowitz's goal in the priesthood?
5. Why does Arkos let Francis take his vows in the Albertine Order of Leibowitz?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)