|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Brother Francis reluctant to speak to the pilgrim?
(a) He has taken a vow of silence and can't remember how to talk.
(b) He's not sure if the pilgrim will attack him.
(c) He is not allowed to speak during his fast.
(d) His throat is hoarse, and it hurts to talk.
2. How old does the Old Jew claim to be?
3. Where does the Abbot send Francis?
(a) to the infirmary
(b) back to the ruins
(c) back to his vigil in a new location
(d) to his room to meditate on his sins
4. Where did Kornhoer get the information to help him create his invention?
(a) from fragments of documents in the abbey
(b) from Brother Armbruster
(c) from a vision he had in his sleep
(d) from one hidden book he deciphered
5. Cheroki's reaction to Francis' confession is ____________.
6. Why does Francis go to bed without food?
(a) Brother Francis is allowed no food at all on his fast.
(b) Brother Francis decides to eat nothing to cleanse himself.
(c) It is too dangerous to collect cactus fruit in the dark.
(d) There is no food left for Brother Francis to eat.
7. Whose skull is rumored to be the skull with the gold tooth?
(a) the Fallout monster
(c) Emily, Leibowitz's wife
(d) Leibowitz's best friend
8. Does Francis believe the strange pilgrim was supernatural?
(a) Yes, but he admits the stranger may have been an ordinary man.
(b) No, he believes the pilgrim was an ordinary man but doesn't know what happened to him.
(c) Yes, he is completely convinced the stranger was actually St. Leibowitz.
(d) No, he realizes the stranger was an ordinary man who tricked him and planned an escape through the mountains.
9. What does the pilgrim have to eat?
(a) milk and bread
(b) a dry crust
(c) meat and cheese
(d) a biscuit and cheese
10. Why does the robber take the illumination instead of the original?
(a) The robber is religious and wants the true relic to go to Rome.
(b) The robber is afraid of excommunication from New Rome if he steals the relic.
(c) The robber is afraid the Church will kill him if he steals the relic.
(d) The gold-embellished illumination appears more valuable.
11. What does the abbot do when he finds out that Francis is planning a complex, illustrated project glorifying Leibowitz's blueprint?
(a) shrugs and walk away
(b) orders Francis to stop work on the project immediately
(c) revokes Francis's vocation
(d) sends Francis back to work in the kitchen
12. What is Thon Taddeo Pfardentrott interested in?
(a) studying the Leibowitzian documents of the monks
(b) taking over power from Hannegan
(c) avoiding the coming war
(d) making sure his half-sister marries well
13. What does the Pope decide, based on the evidence?
(a) to hold a second investigation
(b) to disband the Albertine Order of Leibowitz
(c) to remove Leibowitz's name from the rolls of possible cannonization
(d) to canonize Leibowitz
14. What does Brother Francis believe Fallout is?
(b) a saint
(c) a monster
(d) a weather system
15. With what does the Abbot hit Francis?
(a) a hickory ruler
(b) his open hand
(c) a long staff
(d) an ancient tome
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aguerra give Francis?
2. What does the Abbot do when Francis won't categorically deny any mystical significance to the stranger?
3. What are Bookleggers?
4. What does Paulo find in a vase of water in the guesthouse?
5. Why doesn't Francis open the racing form?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)