|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Brother Francis only hope to find paper artifacts in the fallout shelter?
(a) Brother Francis believes he can use carbon dating on paper artifacts to date the site.
(b) Paper artifacts are most valuable because most paper has decayed.
(c) Brother Francis confuses all paper for the paper money used before the catastrophe.
(d) Excavating for anything but paper documents has been ruled too dangerous.
2. With what does the pilgrim attack Brother Francis?
(a) a knife
(b) a stick
(c) a stone
(d) a staff
3. How does the Pope enter the chamber for the canonization?
(a) He parades in, leading a contingent of guards.
(b) He appears from behind curtains.
(c) He is carried in on a chair.
(d) He is lowered down from the ceiling.
4. How much weight has Francis lost during his vigil?
(a) 30 pounds
(b) 40 pounds
(c) 20 pounds
(d) 10 pounds
5. To what does Cheroki compare Francis' desire to have a vocation?
(a) a mouse's desire to run into a hole
(b) a vulture's attraction to a dead beast
(c) a cat's desire to study birds
(d) a dog's desire for a bone
6. Why does the Pope say Francis' time creating the illustrated blueprint was not wasted?
(a) The Pope says that Francis's time won't be wasted if the blueprint is recovered.
(b) No time spent in labor of God is ever wasted.
(c) The illustrated blueprint is still beautiful, even though it is lost.
(d) His efforts caused the robber to take the illustrated blueprint instead of the real relic.
7. What does Francis picture the fallout shelter becoming?
(a) a library
(b) a basilica
(c) a new capital for the Church
(d) a new capital for the country
8. What does the Abbot do when Francis won't categorically deny any mystical significance to the stranger?
(a) beats Francis each day for 10 days
(b) throws Francis out of the abbey
(c) blackmails Francis into lying about his experience
(d) refuses to allow Francis to take his vows
9. How old does the Old Jew claim to be?
10. What does Francis believe is the most significant event that happened to him in the desert?
(a) meeting the old man
(b) building a shelter for himself
(c) finding the fallout shelter
(d) finding the relics of Leibowitz
11. Why does Taddeo want to look at the documents the Albertine Order of Leibowitz has?
(a) for their linguistic value
(b) for their relgious value
(c) for their mystical value
(d) for their scientific value
12. What offer does the robber finally make Francis?
(a) The robber will return the illumination for a chance to meet the Pope.
(b) The robber will return the illumination for two heklos of gold.
(c) The robber will destroy the illumination if anyone comes after him.
(d) The robber will let Francis away with his life if Francis promises not to persue him.
13. What does the abbot do when he finds out that Francis is planning a complex, illustrated project glorifying Leibowitz's blueprint?
(a) revokes Francis's vocation
(b) sends Francis back to work in the kitchen
(c) shrugs and walk away
(d) orders Francis to stop work on the project immediately
14. When did the Age of Enlightenment end?
(a) the 1980s
(b) the 1960s
(c) the 1990s
(d) the 1970s
15. What are Bookleggers?
(a) monks who hide books in kegs
(b) monks who hide books on their person, usually in their pants
(c) criminals to use books to make alcohol
(d) monks who memorize books word for word
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose skull is rumored to be the skull with the gold tooth?
2. What is Brother Fingo's current job?
3. Where does the Abbot send Francis?
4. What is Brother Francis' first reaction to the stranger?
5. Why does Cheroki find standing and kneeling uncomfortable?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)