|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Francis go to bed without food?
(a) Brother Francis is allowed no food at all on his fast.
(b) It is too dangerous to collect cactus fruit in the dark.
(c) Brother Francis decides to eat nothing to cleanse himself.
(d) There is no food left for Brother Francis to eat.
2. What does the Pope decide, based on the evidence?
(a) to disband the Albertine Order of Leibowitz
(b) to hold a second investigation
(c) to canonize Leibowitz
(d) to remove Leibowitz's name from the rolls of possible cannonization
3. How does Francis try to get the illumination back?
(a) by wrestling the robber
(b) by threatening the robber with reprisals from New Rome
(c) by stabbing the robber
(d) by threatening the robber with lightning from God
4. What is Thon Taddeo Pfardentrott interested in?
(a) avoiding the coming war
(b) making sure his half-sister marries well
(c) studying the Leibowitzian documents of the monks
(d) taking over power from Hannegan
5. What is the role of the Devil's Advocate?
(a) to argue for the truth of the rumors
(b) to argue against Francis's priesthood
(c) to argue against Leibowitz's sainthood
(d) to argue against continuing the word of the Order
6. What is Brother Fingo's original trade?
(b) map maker
(d) horse trainer
7. Why is Brother Francis reluctant to speak to the pilgrim?
(a) He is not allowed to speak during his fast.
(b) He has taken a vow of silence and can't remember how to talk.
(c) His throat is hoarse, and it hurts to talk.
(d) He's not sure if the pilgrim will attack him.
8. What does Francis say about the rumors surrounding his meeting of the pilgrim?
(a) About have the rumors are true.
(b) Most of the rumors are completely false.
(c) The rumors are true, but with some exaggeration.
(d) Most of the rumors are completely true.
9. Why does Francis fail to complete his shelter?
(a) He cannot find enough rocks to complete the shelter.
(b) He cannot find the right shape rock for the last piece.
(c) He realizes that while he's been in the fallout shelter, wolves have surrounded his shelter.
(d) He spends too much time exploring the fallout shelter and runs out of light.
10. What does Apollo agree to do?
(a) go to New Rome to ask permission for Taddeo to see the documents
(b) ask the abbot, Dom Paulo, to lend the documents to Taddeo
(c) go to the abbey bring back proof of auhentication of the documents
(d) go to the abbey to get the documents for Taddeo
11. With what does the pilgrim attack Brother Francis?
(a) a stone
(b) a stick
(c) a knife
(d) a staff
12. What do the Dominicans find in the sealed inner chamber of the Fallout Shelter?
(a) 15 skeletons
(b) a treasure trove of electronic equipment
(c) a miraculously preserved body
(d) blueprint making materials
13. Who does Paulo kick out of the guesthouse?
(a) the Poet
(b) the Bard
(c) the Pauper
(d) the Preacher
14. Why does the robber take the illumination instead of the original?
(a) The robber is afraid the Church will kill him if he steals the relic.
(b) The gold-embellished illumination appears more valuable.
(c) The robber is afraid of excommunication from New Rome if he steals the relic.
(d) The robber is religious and wants the true relic to go to Rome.
15. Whose skull is rumored to be the skull with the gold tooth?
(b) Emily, Leibowitz's wife
(c) Leibowitz's best friend
(d) the Fallout monster
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flaught conclude about Francis' blueprint?
2. What does Flaught conclude about Francis' story?
3. What is Brother Kornhoer inventing?
4. What does Francis see when he awakes?
5. What does the Abbot do when Francis won't categorically deny any mystical significance to the stranger?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)