|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paulo find in a vase of water in the guesthouse?
(a) an eyeball
(b) a rare orchid
(c) a goldfish
(d) a daisy
2. Why are the monks unwelcoming toward Monsignor Flaught?
(a) Flaught's job is to argue against the canonization of Leibowitz.
(b) Flaught is a disbeliever who tries to force his atheism on the monks.
(c) Flaught is an unpreposessing person whom the monks dislike on sight.
(d) Flaught has an eerie aura of the devil about him.
3. What is Francis' pet project as a copyist?
(a) making an illuminated version of Leibowitz's blueprint
(b) creating illustrated panels of Leibowitz's name
(c) restoring lost words from damaged documents
(d) decoding Leibowitz's memo book
4. What does Kornhoer want to remove from the alcove where Taddeo will work?
(a) a poster that covers the window
(b) a font that blocks the chair
(c) a statue that takes up desk space
(d) a crucifix that blocks the light
5. What does the abbot do when he finds out that Francis is planning a complex, illustrated project glorifying Leibowitz's blueprint?
(a) sends Francis back to work in the kitchen
(b) orders Francis to stop work on the project immediately
(c) revokes Francis's vocation
(d) shrugs and walk away
6. What offer does the robber finally make Francis?
(a) The robber will destroy the illumination if anyone comes after him.
(b) The robber will let Francis away with his life if Francis promises not to persue him.
(c) The robber will return the illumination for a chance to meet the Pope.
(d) The robber will return the illumination for two heklos of gold.
7. What are Bookleggers?
(a) monks who memorize books word for word
(b) monks who hide books in kegs
(c) monks who hide books on their person, usually in their pants
(d) criminals to use books to make alcohol
8. Who does Paulo kick out of the guesthouse?
(a) the Poet
(b) the Preacher
(c) the Pauper
(d) the Bard
9. Why does Taddeo want to look at the documents the Albertine Order of Leibowitz has?
(a) for their mystical value
(b) for their linguistic value
(c) for their scientific value
(d) for their relgious value
10. What does Apollo agree to do?
(a) go to the abbey bring back proof of auhentication of the documents
(b) ask the abbot, Dom Paulo, to lend the documents to Taddeo
(c) go to New Rome to ask permission for Taddeo to see the documents
(d) go to the abbey to get the documents for Taddeo
11. How does Francis initially think blueprints were produced?
(a) by filling in blue ink around the white lines
(b) by drawing in special white ink over blue-painted paper
(c) by using a chemical process to impress blue ink around white lines
(d) by using a chemical process to impress white lines on blue paper
12. What does Paulo have in his office?
(a) Fingo's carving of St. Leibowitz
(b) five pages of indecipherable text
(c) the original Leibowitz blueprint relic
(d) Francis's illuminated blueprint
13. Where does the Abbot send Francis?
(a) to his room to meditate on his sins
(b) back to his vigil in a new location
(c) back to the ruins
(d) to the infirmary
14. Who was Taddeo's mother?
(a) a wealthy woman lacking political power
(b) a poor but politically powerful woman
(c) an unmarried serving maid
(d) a wealthy, powerful woman who scorned marriage
15. Why does Taddeo want the documents to be brought to him instead of going to the abbey?
(a) He is too ill to travel.
(b) He believes scholars will think conclusions he comes to at the abbey are biased.
(c) He thinks that the monks at the abbey will try to force him to stay.
(d) He thinks that if he finds out the documents are forged, the monks might try to harm him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Francis remain a novitiate?
2. How much weight has Francis lost during his vigil?
3. What does Francis believe is the most significant event that happened to him in the desert?
4. What does Aguerra give Francis?
5. What does the Abbot do with the fallout shelter?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)