* Brother Francis Gerard of Utah is fasting in the desert when he encounters an unnamed pilgrim.
* The pilgrim directs Brother Francis to a rock to build his shelter.
* Unseating the rock, Brother Francis discovers a Fallout Shelter, which he doesn't understand but relates to his religious order's honored Blessed Leibowitz
* Brother Francis finds a box of papers, relics of the Blessed Leibowitz
* The box contains notes, a shopping list, a memo book, a racing form, and a blueprint with Leibowitz's name on it.
* Francis guards the precious box as he passes a dangerous night in the desert.
* An elder monk, Cheroki, hears Brother Francis' confession.
* Francis tells Cheroki about the stranger, the fallout shelter, and the box.
* Cheroki does not believe Francis and sends him back to the monastery without absolution.
* Fingo, the cook's assistant, confirms Francis' find, and Cheroki finally gives Francis absolution.
This section contains 1,462 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)