|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John Paul Vann summarize the events at Ap Bac?
2. To what rank is John Paul Vann promoted by the Washington, DC, high command?
3. According to John Paul Vann and the author, in what year does the U.S. Marines begin to burn villages to flush out Vietcong encampments?
4. What specific order is given to General Huynh Van Cao in 1966 by his superiors, which he refuses to carry out?
5. For how many years during his childhood was John Paul Vann bounced between his two aunts and other friends and relatives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did General Westmoreland feel was the key to victory?
2. What media figure befriends John Paul Vann and is responsible for stealing and leaking the "Pentagon Papers" to the U.S. media? What strategy of John Paul Vann's did this person find most appealing?
3. Was John Paul Vann content to fulfill his new duties? Why or why not?
4. Where did the Vann family live during John Paul Vann's childhood?
5. What new war tactic, employed by the U.S. marines in 1965, particularly disgusted John Paul Vann and why?
6. How and where did John Paul Vann die? Provide details.
7. Which parent did the majority of the household chores in the Vann home? Why?
8. What word best describes John Paul Vann's mother, Myrtle Lee Tripp? Provide a justification for your answer.
9. What vital information did John Paul Vann include in a three-page report to General Harkins and Colonel Porter regarding General Huynh Van Cao's approach to the war?
10. What do we know about John Paul Vann's lineage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Vietnam War era is one characterized by controversy and uncertainty. What were some of the reasons why the U.S. military's efforts in Vietnam were seen in such a negative light "back home" in America? Why was there growing pressure to end the war and bring the troops home? What were some of the contributing factors that caused America to finally end their presence in Vietnam?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the staple foods in the Vann home? How did this particular diet affect the health and psychological well-being of the children? Which of John Paul Vann's parents was the primary cook and provider? Why?
Essay Topic 3
At least five United States' Presidents attempted to deal with the situation in Vietnam. Which presidents were involved and how did each one approach the problems created by the U.S. military (or advisory) operations in Vietnam? In your opinion, which president's approach was best in your opinion and why?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)