|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Starting in April, 1967, these event begin as a result of the growing VC numbers:
2. The army of the Vietcong has doubled in size by what year?
3. What does John Paul Vann realize upon his return to Vietnam in 1965?
4. In what year does John Paul Vann retire from the Army?
5. Which religious group does President Ngo Dinh Diem persecute most severely?
Short Essay Questions
1. What vital information did John Paul Vann include in a three-page report to General Harkins and Colonel Porter regarding General Huynh Van Cao's approach to the war?
2. What prominent CIA figure eventually adopted and promoted John Paul Vann's assessment of the Vietnam War? Why was this person important?
3. With whom did John Paul Vann spend a great amount of his time growing up? Why?
4. In what year did John Paul Vann retire from the Army? When and how did he return to Vietnam?
5. Who offers John Paul Vann a position as part of a national "brain trust" on Vietnam? What was John Paul Vann's reaction?
6. What were some of John Paul Vann's assigned duties upon his return to Vietnam?
7. What did this situation make John Paul Vann realize?
8. Following the conflicting stories regarding the success of the Battle of Ap Bac, how did Washington, DC, respond?
9. When did Myrtle Lee Tripp's second husband, Frank Vann, finally adopt John Paul Vann as his son? Why did it take so long?
10. What were the findings of General Krulak and the other military leaders with regard to the Battle of Ap Bac? How did John Paul Vann react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Vietnam War era is one characterized by controversy and uncertainty. What were some of the reasons why the U.S. military's efforts in Vietnam were seen in such a negative light "back home" in America? Why was there growing pressure to end the war and bring the troops home? What were some of the contributing factors that caused America to finally end their presence in Vietnam?
Essay Topic 2
Using what you know about John Paul Vann's personality and character, why do you think he was always getting into disagreements (sometimes heated arguments) with his superiors and others in positions of authority over him? Pick one or two instances from the text where John Paul Vann had a major difference of opinion with an authority figure and expound on whether or not you agreed with him.
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the key actions taken by the Diem administration in South Vietnam that adversely affected the opinion of the general population toward him and, by extension, toward the Americans that installed him in power? Please cite 2-3 examples and how the people of South Vietnam reacted to each policy or action taken.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)