|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which city in North Vietnam is the base for Ho Chi Minh's government?
2. What is the nickname of Herb Prevost's squadron?
3. On what date do the American advisers and ARVN military commanders begin planning the offensive at Ap Bac?
4. Which of the following generals is the commanding officer of U.S. personnel in Vietnam in 1962?
5. After numerous wars with the Chinese and the French, the Vietnamese adopt the following military philosophy which gives the forces of Ho Chi Minh courage during the First and Second Indochina Wars:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the United States initially get more involved in South Vietnamese politics in 1962?
2. What is one of the secret desires of the American military advisers with regard to the Viet Cong's fighting tactics?
3. What do you think John Paul Vann's motivations are when he is first sent to Vietnam to advise the South Vietnamese military in 1962?
4. As adviser to the 7th Infantry Division of the ARVN, John Paul Vann is responsible for the defense and preservation of what area in Vietnam?
5. In 1962, what is the United States' stated primary role in Vietnam?
6. What political policies of Diem in particular lead to growing dissatisfaction with him and his regime among the South Vietnamese people and, eventually, the Americans as well?
7. What are some of the many diverse features of the populace in South Vietnam that prevented a strong, unified front against the Viet Cong?
8. Why are the North Vietnamese Army (NVA) referred to as "Viet Cong"?
9. Why is the use of terminology in reference to Ho Chi Minh's forces important for the Americans and South Vietnamese to establish?
10. Briefly describe some of the things John Paul Vann did that get him categorized as lucky by those with whom he served.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe five or six of the more prominent attendees at John Paul Vann's funeral. Why do you think each one was there and what was the political, social, or emotional reason for their attendance?
Essay Topic 2
Khe Sanh was mentioned in the text as one of the so-called "Hill Fights". First, what did the term "Hill Fights" refer to? Second, why was there a great deal of media attention placed on the plight of the marines stationed at Khe Sanh? What was the symbolic significance of this battle and how was the outcome portrayed by the American media and the Vietcong propaganda machine?
Essay Topic 3
What role did the reporting (or misreporting) of information have during the Vietnam War? How was propaganda used by the ARVN, American, and North Vietnamese, respectively, to further their causes? Please provide 2-3 specific examples for each.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)