|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year is General Harkins replaced?
2. During 1967, John Paul Vann is working to set up the which organization?
(a) Civil Operations and Revolutionary Development Support (CORDS).
(b) The Peace Corps.
(c) Mobile command center for the American forces.
(d) United Nations International Children's Education Fund (UNICEF).
3. How many brothers does John Paul Vann have?
4. For how many years during his childhood was John Paul Vann bounced between his two aunts and other friends and relatives?
(c) Two and a half.
(d) Four and a half.
5. Who is the Buddhist monk who voluntarily burned himself to death in order to protest the cruel actions of Diem's government in Saigon?
(a) Nguyen Tan.
(b) Ba Lai.
(c) Quang Cho.
(d) Quang Duc.
Short Answer Questions
1. What specific order is given to General Huynh Van Cao in 1966 by his superiors, which he refuses to carry out?
2. What type of reconnaissance does John Paul Vann agree to do?
3. What position is offered to John Paul Vann by Secretary of State Robert McNamara?
4. How many students (estimated) are arrested and sent to jail during the riots?
5. In what year does the Vann family move to Atlantic City?
Short Essay Questions
1. What media figure befriends John Paul Vann and is responsible for stealing and leaking the "Pentagon Papers" to the U.S. media? What strategy of John Paul Vann's did this person find most appealing?
2. Why did General Harkins feel the way he did about John Paul Vann's report?
3. What was John Paul Vann's strategy for turning the war in the United States' favor? How did this differ from the U.S. policy at the time?
4. In 1963, President Diem set off what was known as the "Buddhist Crisis". What was this and what was the eventual result of it?
5. Who offers John Paul Vann a position as part of a national "brain trust" on Vietnam? What was John Paul Vann's reaction?
6. What were some of John Paul Vann's assigned duties upon his return to Vietnam?
7. Who was the most influential and first real friend that John Paul Vann had? Why did this person have such an impact on John Paul Vann's life?
8. Where did the Vann family live during John Paul Vann's childhood?
9. Following the inconclusive, but embarrassing, result of Ap Bac, General Huynh Van Cao launched a dummy attack on the same location. Why did he do this? What was the result?
10. What word best describes John Paul Vann's mother, Myrtle Lee Tripp? Provide a justification for your answer.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)