|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does John Paul Vann and his wife sell their home in El Paso, Texas, and move to Washington, DC?
2. Which distinguished general from World War II is dispatched to Vietnam to assess the situation?
(a) General Victor Krulak.
(b) General Douglas MacArthur.
(c) General Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(d) General George S. Patton.
3. Which city does John Paul Vann consider "home"?
(a) Norfolk, Virginia.
(b) Lawrence, Kansas.
(c) Shreveport, Louisiana.
(d) Phoenix, Arizona.
4. Starting in April, 1967, these event begin as a result of the growing VC numbers:
(a) Allied Ground Surge.
(b) Aerial Bombardments.
(c) Hill Fights.
(d) Lightning Strikes.
5. The army of the Vietcong has doubled in size by what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. During 1967, John Paul Vann is working to set up the which organization?
2. What does John Paul Vann realize upon his return to Vietnam in 1965?
3. In what year is John Paul Vann born?
4. In what year are John Paul Vann and Mary married?
5. Which U.S. general becomes the object of ridicule among the American advisers and fighting personnel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which parent did the majority of the household chores in the Vann home? Why?
2. How and where did John Paul Vann die? Provide details.
3. How did John Paul Vann react to the ARVN "victory" at Ap Bac? How did General Harkins accept John Paul Vann's assessment?
4. What were some of John Paul Vann's assigned duties upon his return to Vietnam?
5. Where did the Vann family live during John Paul Vann's childhood?
6. What new war tactic, employed by the U.S. marines in 1965, particularly disgusted John Paul Vann and why?
7. Who was the most influential and first real friend that John Paul Vann had? Why did this person have such an impact on John Paul Vann's life?
8. What vital information did John Paul Vann include in a three-page report to General Harkins and Colonel Porter regarding General Huynh Van Cao's approach to the war?
9. What prominent CIA figure eventually adopted and promoted John Paul Vann's assessment of the Vietnam War? Why was this person important?
10. Was John Paul Vann content to fulfill his new duties? Why or why not?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)