|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During 1967, John Paul Vann is working to set up the which organization?
(a) Mobile command center for the American forces.
(b) United Nations International Children's Education Fund (UNICEF).
(c) The Peace Corps.
(d) Civil Operations and Revolutionary Development Support (CORDS).
2. Which of the following American media figures befriends John Paul Vann during 1965?
(a) Walter Cronkite.
(b) Daniel Ellsberg.
(c) Tom Brokaw.
(d) Bob Woodward.
3. In what year are John Paul Vann and Mary married?
4. What word best describes the atmosphere in Vietnam in 1965, according to John Paul Vann?
5. What name does John Paul Vann have inscribed on his mother's headstone?
(a) Myrtle Lee Tripp.
(b) Myrtle Lee Vann.
(c) Myrtle Lee LeGay.
(d) Myrtle Lee Greene.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children do John Paul Vann and his wife have?
2. In 1966, John Paul Vann begins an affair with a 17-year-old virgin girl. What was her name?
3. By 1967, how many acres of land (approximately) are destroyed by fighting, napalm, and chemical agent use throughout Vietnam?
4. Which war is John Paul Vann sent to first, where he is promoted to the rank of Captain in 1950?
5. After the failure of this person's second mission to Vietnam in 1966, this person begins to side with John Paul Vann's view of the war effort.
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of a person was Frank Vann?
2. Following the conflicting stories regarding the success of the Battle of Ap Bac, how did Washington, DC, respond?
3. With whom did John Paul Vann spend a great amount of his time growing up? Why?
4. What word best describes John Paul Vann's mother, Myrtle Lee Tripp? Provide a justification for your answer.
5. Who offers John Paul Vann a position as part of a national "brain trust" on Vietnam? What was John Paul Vann's reaction?
6. By this time, what was the political situation in Saigon?
7. What were some of John Paul Vann's assigned duties upon his return to Vietnam?
8. In what year did John Paul Vann retire from the Army? When and how did he return to Vietnam?
9. What vital information did John Paul Vann include in a three-page report to General Harkins and Colonel Porter regarding General Huynh Van Cao's approach to the war?
10. What new war tactic, employed by the U.S. marines in 1965, particularly disgusted John Paul Vann and why?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)