|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to John Paul Vann and the author, in what year does the U.S. Marines begin to burn villages to flush out Vietcong encampments?
2. What is the nickname of John Paul Vann's maternal grandmother?
3. What is the name of John Paul Vann's mother?
(a) Florence Henderson.
(b) Janice Miller.
(c) Myrtle Lee Tripp.
(d) Roberta Marie Vann.
4. In what month are Ngo Dinh Diem and his brother assassinated?
5. What is the name of John Paul Vann's most beloved father figure?
(a) Frank De Mint.
(b) Aaron Frank Vann.
(c) George S. Tripp.
(d) John Paul Vann, Sr.
6. What is the original name for the Agency for International Development (AID)?
(a) Peace Corps.
(b) United States Operations Mission (USOM).
(c) Blackwater Combat Support.
(d) Big Red One.
7. In what year is General Harkins replaced?
8. Which prominent American political figure arrives in Vietnam to overthrow the Diem regime?
(a) President John F. Kennedy.
(b) Secretary of State Robert McNamara.
(c) Henry Kissinger.
(d) Cabot Lodge, Jr.
9. What does John Paul Vann realize upon his return to Vietnam in 1965?
(a) The Viet Cong have taken over.
(b) The U.S. and South Vietnamese will not win.
(c) The government of Cambodia had fallen.
(d) The Viet Cong had retreated into Laos.
10. How many children do John Paul Vann and his wife have?
11. What name does John Paul Vann have inscribed on his mother's headstone?
(a) Myrtle Lee Vann.
(b) Myrtle Lee Tripp.
(c) Myrtle Lee Greene.
(d) Myrtle Lee LeGay.
12. In 1966, John Paul Vann begins an affair with a 17-year-old virgin girl. What was her name?
13. What phrase below best describes the relationship of Frank Vann with his sons?
(a) Loving, but unable to provide much of a living.
(b) Loving and well-off.
(c) Drunken and abusive.
(d) Unavailable because of his hectic work schedule.
14. As a result of the outcome of the Battle of Ap Bac, how do the Viet Cong react?
(a) They are determined to create a stronger army.
(b) They flee to Cambodia, never to return.
(c) General Ho Chi Minh openly mocks the Americans on the radio.
(d) They panic and immediately seek a peace treaty with Saigon.
15. During 1967, John Paul Vann is working to set up the which organization?
(a) United Nations International Children's Education Fund (UNICEF).
(b) Civil Operations and Revolutionary Development Support (CORDS).
(c) Mobile command center for the American forces.
(d) The Peace Corps.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ramsey is captured by the Vietcong in 1966 and held prisoner for ________ years.
2. In what year does the Vann family move to Atlantic City?
3. Which of the following is a major problem for the South Vietnamese military commanders and politicians?
4. Who is Myrtle Tripp's first husband?
5. The army of the Vietcong has doubled in size by what year?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)