|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of John Paul Vann's biological father?
(a) Frank Vann.
(b) John Paul LeGay.
(c) Arthur Price.
(d) Johnny Spry.
2. Brigadier General Pham Quoc Thuan constructs this facility based on the demands of U.S. G.I.s:
(a) A statue of General Harkins.
(b) A Las Vegas-style resort casino.
(c) An ice-making plant.
(d) An extra-secure command bunker.
3. How many children do John Paul Vann and his wife have?
4. Which prominent American political figure arrives in Vietnam to overthrow the Diem regime?
(a) President John F. Kennedy.
(b) Cabot Lodge, Jr.
(c) Henry Kissinger.
(d) Secretary of State Robert McNamara.
5. What is the original name for the Agency for International Development (AID)?
(a) Big Red One.
(b) Peace Corps.
(c) United States Operations Mission (USOM).
(d) Blackwater Combat Support.
6. What type of reconnaissance does John Paul Vann agree to do?
(a) Scout out supply depots.
(b) Take photos of Regional Forces.
(c) Note enemy encampments and positions.
(d) Aerial topography of the region.
7. Which war is John Paul Vann sent to first, where he is promoted to the rank of Captain in 1950?
(b) World War II.
(d) First Indochina War.
8. Which of the following American media figures befriends John Paul Vann during 1965?
(a) Walter Cronkite.
(b) Daniel Ellsberg.
(c) Tom Brokaw.
(d) Bob Woodward.
9. John Paul Vann and Daniel Ellsberg drive to which location and become the first Americans to do so in over a year?
(b) Da Nang.
(c) Ham Tan.
10. During his work in Vietnam after 1965, John Paul Vann is befriended by whom?
(a) A group of Buddhist monks.
(b) Some members of the VC high command.
(c) A VC schoolteacher and the local children.
(d) A number of mercenaries from Europe.
11. With whom does John Paul Vann plot to re-take an entire province?
(a) Eddie Fisher.
(b) General Cao.
(c) Jack Wells.
(d) Douglas Ramsey.
12. Who is President of the United States when America expands the war into Cambodia in 1970?
(a) Lyndon Johnson.
(b) Richard M. Nixon.
(c) Gerald Ford.
(d) Jimmy Carter.
13. In what year is John Paul Vann born?
14. During 1967, John Paul Vann is working to set up the which organization?
(a) United Nations International Children's Education Fund (UNICEF).
(b) The Peace Corps.
(c) Mobile command center for the American forces.
(d) Civil Operations and Revolutionary Development Support (CORDS).
15. In what year does John Paul Vann, Ramsey, and a few others send a new strategic proposal to Washington, DC?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the findings of the generals sent to Saigon with regard to the ARVN/American performance at Ap Bac?
2. Which U.S. general becomes the object of ridicule among the American advisers and fighting personnel?
3. Who does John Paul Vann's mother spend her money on (primarily)?
4. By late 1965, the Saigon/U.S. and VC forces begin to:
5. The term for General Westmoreland's war strategy is:
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)