|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year is John Paul Vann born?
2. Which ARVN commander launches a "dummy assault" on the Ap Bac site to save face and put a positive PR spin on the confrontation?
(a) General Cao.
(b) General Cho.
(c) General Ming.
(d) General Ba.
3. What is the name of John Paul Vann's biological father?
(a) John Paul LeGay.
(b) Frank Vann.
(c) Arthur Price.
(d) Johnny Spry.
4. As a result of the outcome of the Battle of Ap Bac, how do the Viet Cong react?
(a) They are determined to create a stronger army.
(b) General Ho Chi Minh openly mocks the Americans on the radio.
(c) They panic and immediately seek a peace treaty with Saigon.
(d) They flee to Cambodia, never to return.
5. What is the name of John Paul Vann's sweetheart and (eventual) wife?
(a) Mary Jo Allen.
(b) Mary Lee Allen.
(c) Mary Louise Allen.
(d) Mary Jane Allen.
6. John Paul Vann and Daniel Ellsberg drive to which location and become the first Americans to do so in over a year?
(a) Ham Tan.
(b) Da Nang.
7. In what year does Cabot Lodge, Jr., arrive in Vietnam?
8. What are the findings of the generals sent to Saigon with regard to the ARVN/American performance at Ap Bac?
(a) They advocate a new government in Saigon.
(b) They recommend General Harkins be fired.
(c) They agree with General Harkins.
(d) They call for an immediate withdrawal of Americans from Vietnam.
9. Ramsey is captured by the Vietcong in 1966 and held prisoner for ________ years.
10. What specific order is given to General Huynh Van Cao in 1966 by his superiors, which he refuses to carry out?
(a) He is told to make an assault on a Buddhist pagoda.
(b) He is told to take command of all operations in Vietnam.
(c) He is asked to move his family to the Philippines.
(d) He is commanded to flee to Laos.
11. University students in which city start riots to protest Diem's government?
(d) My Tho.
12. For how many years during his childhood was John Paul Vann bounced between his two aunts and other friends and relatives?
(b) Two and a half.
(d) Four and a half.
13. Which prominent American political figure arrives in Vietnam to overthrow the Diem regime?
(a) Cabot Lodge, Jr.
(b) President John F. Kennedy.
(c) Secretary of State Robert McNamara.
(d) Henry Kissinger.
14. What does John Paul Vann find out about the numbers of the Regional Forces in Hau Nghia?
(a) They were a significant fighting force.
(b) They were supported by three VC divisions.
(c) There were no Regional Forces there.
(d) They were greatly exaggerated.
15. By late 1965, the Saigon/U.S. and VC forces begin to:
(a) Assassinate each other's top commanders.
(b) Push the war into Laos.
(c) Enter into peace negotiations.
(d) Bomb indiscriminately, increasing civilian casualties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the original name for the Agency for International Development (AID)?
2. After the failure of this person's second mission to Vietnam in 1966, this person begins to side with John Paul Vann's view of the war effort.
3. Which city does John Paul Vann consider "home"?
4. One of the primary sources of income for Vietnamese families in U.S. controlled areas (especially the large cities like Saigon) is:
5. What does General Harkins believe about the Battle of Ap Bac that puts him at odds with John Paul Vann, his other American subordinates, and even General York?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)