|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month are Ngo Dinh Diem and his brother assassinated?
2. During 1967, John Paul Vann is working to set up the which organization?
(a) Civil Operations and Revolutionary Development Support (CORDS).
(b) Mobile command center for the American forces.
(c) The Peace Corps.
(d) United Nations International Children's Education Fund (UNICEF).
3. How many brothers does John Paul Vann have?
4. One of the primary sources of income for Vietnamese families in U.S. controlled areas (especially the large cities like Saigon) is:
(a) Making munitions for the war effort.
(b) Farming rice.
(c) Prostitution of the family's daughters.
(d) Selling military secrets to the VC.
5. According to John Paul Vann, the Vietnamese colonels in Saigon are best described as:
(a) Greedy and distrustful.
(b) Arrogant and bragadocious.
(d) Timid and cowardly.
6. Which province does John Paul Vann and his friend conspire to re-take?
(a) Quang Binh Province.
(b) Da Nang Province.
(c) Kon Tum Province.
(d) Hau Nghia Province.
7. During his work in Vietnam after 1965, John Paul Vann is befriended by whom?
(a) A number of mercenaries from Europe.
(b) A VC schoolteacher and the local children.
(c) Some members of the VC high command.
(d) A group of Buddhist monks.
8. What are the findings of the generals sent to Saigon with regard to the ARVN/American performance at Ap Bac?
(a) They call for an immediate withdrawal of Americans from Vietnam.
(b) They recommend General Harkins be fired.
(c) They advocate a new government in Saigon.
(d) They agree with General Harkins.
9. Who does John Paul Vann's mother spend her money on (primarily)?
(a) Her husband.
(c) The kids at the orphanage.
(d) The children.
10. How long is the projected worst-case scenario for U.S. involvement in Vietnam?
(a) One year.
(b) Three years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
11. Which distinguished general from World War II is dispatched to Vietnam to assess the situation?
(a) General George S. Patton.
(b) General Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(c) General Victor Krulak.
(d) General Douglas MacArthur.
12. Which of the following is a major problem for the South Vietnamese military commanders and politicians?
(d) All answers are correct.
13. What phrase below best describes the relationship of Frank Vann with his sons?
(a) Unavailable because of his hectic work schedule.
(b) Loving, but unable to provide much of a living.
(c) Loving and well-off.
(d) Drunken and abusive.
14. What is the name of John Paul Vann's most beloved father figure?
(a) Aaron Frank Vann.
(b) Frank De Mint.
(c) John Paul Vann, Sr.
(d) George S. Tripp.
15. The term for General Westmoreland's war strategy is:
(a) "Bomb the VC into the Stone Age".
(b) "Strategic Isolation".
(c) "Total War".
(d) "War of Attrition".
Short Answer Questions
1. John Paul Vann is sent to build schools and help refugees in many areas that:
2. What does John Paul Vann realize upon his return to Vietnam in 1965?
3. Which general replaces General Harkins as the supreme commander of the U.S. forces in Vietnam?
4. Which of the following Vietnam War-era journalists is awarded the Pulitzer Prize in December, 1963, for reporting John Paul Vann's assessment of the situation in Vietnam?
5. Which of the following American media figures befriends John Paul Vann during 1965?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)