|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the primary sources of income for Vietnamese families in U.S. controlled areas (especially the large cities like Saigon) is:
(a) Selling military secrets to the VC.
(b) Farming rice.
(c) Making munitions for the war effort.
(d) Prostitution of the family's daughters.
2. During his work in Vietnam after 1965, John Paul Vann is befriended by whom?
(a) A group of Buddhist monks.
(b) A VC schoolteacher and the local children.
(c) Some members of the VC high command.
(d) A number of mercenaries from Europe.
3. Who is President of the United States when America expands the war into Cambodia in 1970?
(a) Jimmy Carter.
(b) Lyndon Johnson.
(c) Gerald Ford.
(d) Richard M. Nixon.
4. Who is Myrtle Tripp's first husband?
(a) Victor LeGay.
(b) Frank Vann.
(c) Ed Williams.
(d) Arthur Price.
5. University students in which city start riots to protest Diem's government?
(c) My Tho.
6. What does John Paul Vann realize upon his return to Vietnam in 1965?
(a) The U.S. and South Vietnamese will not win.
(b) The Viet Cong have taken over.
(c) The government of Cambodia had fallen.
(d) The Viet Cong had retreated into Laos.
7. In 1966, John Paul Vann begins an affair with a 17-year-old virgin girl. What was her name?
8. Which distinguished general from World War II is dispatched to Vietnam to assess the situation?
(a) General Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(b) General Victor Krulak.
(c) General George S. Patton.
(d) General Douglas MacArthur.
9. Ramsey is captured by the Vietcong in 1966 and held prisoner for ________ years.
10. What does John Paul Vann find out about the numbers of the Regional Forces in Hau Nghia?
(a) They were a significant fighting force.
(b) There were no Regional Forces there.
(c) They were supported by three VC divisions.
(d) They were greatly exaggerated.
11. Who is the provincial chief of this Vietnamese province, targeted for liberation?
(a) Major Guang Xi Hue.
(b) Major Nam Ho Ling.
(c) Major Ba Quang.
(d) Major Nguyen Tri Hanh.
12. What specific order is given to General Huynh Van Cao in 1966 by his superiors, which he refuses to carry out?
(a) He is told to make an assault on a Buddhist pagoda.
(b) He is asked to move his family to the Philippines.
(c) He is commanded to flee to Laos.
(d) He is told to take command of all operations in Vietnam.
13. What is the name of John Paul Vann's most beloved father figure?
(a) Aaron Frank Vann.
(b) John Paul Vann, Sr.
(c) George S. Tripp.
(d) Frank De Mint.
14. The army of the Vietcong has doubled in size by what year?
15. Which U.S. general becomes the object of ridicule among the American advisers and fighting personnel?
(a) General Westmoreland.
(b) General Cao.
(c) General Harkins.
(d) General York.
Short Answer Questions
1. By 1967, how many acres of land (approximately) are destroyed by fighting, napalm, and chemical agent use throughout Vietnam?
2. What word best describes the atmosphere in Vietnam in 1965, according to John Paul Vann?
3. What food doe the Vanns NOT usually have at Thanksgiving?
4. With whom does John Paul Vann plot to re-take an entire province?
5. Which religious group does President Ngo Dinh Diem persecute most severely?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)