|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to build broad-based support for his cause, Ho Chi Minh needs to do what?
(a) Take over the south by force.
(b) Downplay his communist beliefs.
(c) Gain the aid of Communist China.
(d) Launch a massive PR campaign.
2. The name for the pro-North Vietnamese forces based in South Vietnam is the ___________________.
(a) Communist Army of South Vietnam.
(b) The Resistance.
(c) National Liberation Front.
(d) People's Liberation Army.
3. The primary element of chance in the Battle of Ap Bac is which of the following?
(a) Blinding dust storm.
(b) Torrential rain.
(c) A solar eclipse.
(d) Ground fog.
4. How far off (in miles) from their intended landing zones are the ARVN paratroopers eventually dropped?
(a) One and a half miles.
(b) Two miles.
(c) One mile.
(d) One half mile.
5. According to John Paul Vann, General Huynh Van Cao is more concerned with ________________________ than winning the war.
(a) Losing his job or a promotion
(b) Getting shot in the line of duty
(c) Letting the Americans run the wartime operations
(d) Looking bad on television
6. Many refugees in South Vietnam belong to this religion.
7. Which of the following funeral attendees is also an instrumental adviser to the South Vietnamese during the early 1960s?
(a) Ho Chi Minh.
(b) General Edward Lansdale.
(c) Joseph Alsop.
(d) Lt. Col. Lucien Conein.
8. To better fortify themselves against the ARVN assault, VC guerrillas at Ap Bac use ___________ extensively.
(a) Pill boxes.
(b) Razor wire traps.
(c) Fox holes.
(d) Heavy gun implacements.
9. Which intelligence officer, assigned to work with Vann, lives by the motto "know your foe", setting up an elaborate system of informants and launching an exhaustive data file on the Vietcong?
(a) Edward Lansdale.
(b) Jim Drummond.
(c) J. Edgar Hoover.
(d) William Westmoreland.
10. Which person below gives John Paul Vann his first military command duties with the 7th Division?
(a) Colonel Daniel B. Porter.
(b) Colonel Tim Bradstreet.
(c) General Palmer.
(d) General Westmoreland.
11. To save face following the Battle of Ap Bac, General Cao does which of the following?
(a) Staged a dangerous mock attack on the same site for PR reasons.
(b) Launched a massive aerial offensive against Hanoi.
(c) Surrendered command to John Paul Vann.
(d) Fled to neighboring Cambodia in disgrace.
12. The Battle of Ap Bac is seen as a huge ________________ for the Viet Cong.
13. On which day is the funeral of John Paul Vann held?
(a) June 16, 1972.
(b) July 4, 1973.
(c) May 17, 1972.
(d) December 13, 1971.
14. President John F. Kennedy proposes _______________ as a way to deal with possible peasant uprisings spurred on by the Vietcong.
(a) Attrition and depletion
(b) Intense negotiations
(d) Carpet bombing
15. Which of the following ARVN infantry units is referred to as the "cockpit of war" during Vietnam?
(a) 5th Infantry Division.
(b) 1st Infantry Division.
(c) 9th Infantry Division.
(d) 7th Infantry Division.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Paul Vann is a risk-taker to such a degree that other soldiers were amazed at his bravado (or foolhardiness). How is this personality trait described by those that knew him?
2. General Edward Lansdale is a clandestine operative for which U.S. government agency?
3. What is the nickname of Herb Prevost's squadron?
4. What is the President of the Republic of Vietnam's French name?
5. John Paul Vann's Vietnamese counterpart is named:
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)