|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is true regarding the interrogation tactics of the Vietnamese and Cambodian "Rangers"?
(a) They did not capture anyone, but rather killed them on the field of battle.
(b) They were very cruel and often wound up killing their captives.
(c) They were considerate and polite.
(d) They adhered strictly to the Geneva Convention with regard to interrogation techniques.
2. U.S. military ships are fired on during a routine mission in this body of water:
(a) Bay of Biscay.
(b) Gulf of Tonkin.
(c) Indian Ocean.
(d) South China Sea.
3. Ho Chi Minh lived in which country (other than Vietnam) prior to the Vietnam War?
(c) The Philippines.
4. The Battle of Ap Bac is seen as a huge ________________ for the Viet Cong.
5. Which notable newspaper reporter of the era is an attendee at the John Paul Vann funeral?
(a) Joseph Alsop.
(b) Edward Woodward.
(c) David Horowitz.
(d) Walter Cronkite.
6. French occupation of Vietnam officially ends shortly after this decisive battle during the First Indochina War:
(a) Battle of Khe Sanh.
(b) Battle of Ap Bac.
(c) Battle of Ia Drang.
(d) Battle of Dien Bien Phu.
7. John Paul Vann's Vietnamese counterpart is named:
(a) Huynh Van Cao.
(b) Ho Chi Minh.
(c) Ngo Dinh Diem.
(d) Pol Pot.
8. Which of the following famous generals is NOT present in the funeral processional of John Paul Vann?
(a) Lt. General Richard Stilwell.
(b) General William Westmoreland.
(c) General Bruce Palmer, Jr.
(d) General John Pershing.
9. Ngo Dinh Diem is very afraid of ________________.
(a) Being on the losing side against the Vietcong.
(c) A coup d'etat.
(d) Dealing with the Chinese Communists.
10. Which Vietnamese emperor hands over his power and authority to the Viet Minh when he abdicates the throne in 1946?
(a) Tuy Ling.
(b) Boa Thai.
(c) Ming Yat-Sun.
(d) Bao Dai.
11. John Paul Vann is a risk-taker to such a degree that other soldiers were amazed at his bravado (or foolhardiness). How is this personality trait described by those that knew him?
(a) The Vann Luck.
(b) The Luck of the Irish.
(c) Vann's Utter Madness.
(d) Death Wish.
12. Who is John Paul Vann's immediate superior?
(a) Colonel Daniel B. Porter.
(b) Lyndon Johnson.
(c) General William Westmoreland.
(d) General Huynh Van Cao.
13. What is the American troops' nickname for the Viet Cong?
(a) Viet Reds.
(b) Ho Chi Minhers.
(c) Vietnamese Communists.
(d) Victor Charlies.
14. John Paul Vann is born during what era?
(a) The Alaskan Gold Rush.
(b) The Great Depression.
(c) The Spanish-American War.
(d) The 1950s.
15. How many M-113 armored personnel carriers are deployed by the ARVN/American forces to Ap Bac?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following funeral attendees is also an instrumental adviser to the South Vietnamese during the early 1960s?
2. On which day is the funeral of John Paul Vann held?
3. Which of the following is NOT present at the funeral of John Paul Vann?
4. The VNAF is an acronym that stood for what?
5. Approximately how many pages are in the famous "Pentagon Papers"?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)