|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the attendees at John Paul Vann's funeral?
(a) Both those that agreed and disagreed with his vision.
(b) Only his closest friends and family.
(c) Protesters and those who disliked him.
(d) His commanding officers, friends, and public relations agent.
2. The headquarters of the 7th Infantry Division of the ARVN is called:
(a) The Cockpit.
(b) The Sanctuary.
(c) The HQ.
(d) The Monastery.
3. This group of organized gangs and criminals attempt a revolt in South Vietnam's capitol city of Saigon.
(a) Viet Minh.
(b) Cao Dai.
(c) Khmer Rouge.
(d) Binh Xuyen.
4. Which of the following helicopters are newly introduced to the ARVN/U.S. forces by the time of the Battle of Ap Bac?
(a) Sea Bees.
(c) Flying Bananas.
5. The ARVN commanders feel ____________ to the forces of the Vietcong.
(a) Allegiance with
(d) Equal to
6. Which intelligence officer, assigned to work with Vann, lives by the motto "know your foe", setting up an elaborate system of informants and launching an exhaustive data file on the Vietcong?
(a) William Westmoreland.
(b) J. Edgar Hoover.
(c) Edward Lansdale.
(d) Jim Drummond.
7. How are the Viet Minh perceived by many of the Vietnamese people, especially in light of their victory over the French in the First Indochina War?
(a) Patriotic freedom fighters.
(b) Deeply religious traditionalists.
(c) Enlightened warriors.
(d) Anti-authoritarian radicals.
8. How many Viet Cong guerrillas are entrenched in defensive positions at Ap Bac?
9. Which notable newspaper reporter of the era is an attendee at the John Paul Vann funeral?
(a) Joseph Alsop.
(b) Walter Cronkite.
(c) David Horowitz.
(d) Edward Woodward.
10. Which of the following ARVN infantry units is referred to as the "cockpit of war" during Vietnam?
(a) 5th Infantry Division.
(b) 9th Infantry Division.
(c) 1st Infantry Division.
(d) 7th Infantry Division.
11. What is the name of John Paul Vann's widow?
(a) Sarah Alexandra.
(b) Jane Marie.
(c) Mary Elisabeth.
(d) Mary Jane.
12. Ngo Dinh Nhu's wife, Madam Ngo, is not-so-affectionately known by what nickname?
(a) The Iron Lady.
(b) The Terrible.
(c) The Ice Maiden.
(d) The Dragon Lady.
13. On which day is the funeral of John Paul Vann held?
(a) December 13, 1971.
(b) July 4, 1973.
(c) May 17, 1972.
(d) June 16, 1972.
14. John Paul Vann requests the following equipment to help the M-113s navigate across the various canals in the battlefield:
(a) Half tracks.
(c) Amphibious troop carriers.
(d) Portable bridges.
15. Which of the following is true about the relationship between John Paul Vann and Huynh Van Cao?
(a) They got along well.
(b) They didn't know each other at all.
(c) Each learned from the other.
(d) They clashed constantly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a prominent religion practiced in South Vietnam?
2. To save face following the Battle of Ap Bac, General Cao does which of the following?
3. Which of the following cities is the site of the Vietnamese imperial palace?
4. Who is primarily responsible for the gathering of pre-battle intelligence for this conflict?
5. Which of the following generals is the commanding officer of U.S. personnel in Vietnam in 1962?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)