|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, "The Battle of Ap Bac".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Viet Cong guerrillas are entrenched in defensive positions at Ap Bac?
2. The helicopters that carry the ARVN troops to the battle location are affectionately known by what name?
(a) Flying Bananas.
(c) Pack Mules.
3. What is the American troops' nickname for the Viet Cong?
(a) Ho Chi Minhers.
(b) Viet Reds.
(c) Vietnamese Communists.
(d) Victor Charlies.
4. John Paul Vann is born during what era?
(a) The Alaskan Gold Rush.
(b) The Spanish-American War.
(c) The Great Depression.
(d) The 1950s.
5. What phrase best describes the bulk of the soldiers in the South Vietnamese Army?
(a) Cannon fodder.
(b) Grizzled veterans.
(c) Combat ready.
(d) Underprepared and untrained.
Short Answer Questions
1. Diem engages in an ambitious campaign that redistributes _______________ from the Buddhist farmers to the Catholic refugees fleeing North Vietnam.
2. Which of the following ARVN commanders is promoted to the rank of general just before the Battle of Ap Bac?
3. What is the nickname of Cao's advisor, Colonel Wilbur Wilson?
4. Which intelligence officer, assigned to work with Vann, lives by the motto "know your foe", setting up an elaborate system of informants and launching an exhaustive data file on the Vietcong?
5. This person is an influential figure in stabilizing the national government of the Philippines during the 1950s and was sent to South Vietnam to see if he could do the same there.
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)