|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, "The Battle of Ap Bac".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the attendees at John Paul Vann's funeral?
(a) His commanding officers, friends, and public relations agent.
(b) Both those that agreed and disagreed with his vision.
(c) Only his closest friends and family.
(d) Protesters and those who disliked him.
2. Who is considered the Viet Cong's most capable general?
(a) Bao Dai.
(b) Ngo Dinh Nhu.
(c) Vo Nguyen Giap.
(d) Ho Chi Minh.
3. French occupation of Vietnam officially ends shortly after this decisive battle during the First Indochina War:
(a) Battle of Dien Bien Phu.
(b) Battle of Ap Bac.
(c) Battle of Ia Drang.
(d) Battle of Khe Sanh.
4. Which intelligence officer, assigned to work with Vann, lives by the motto "know your foe", setting up an elaborate system of informants and launching an exhaustive data file on the Vietcong?
(a) Edward Lansdale.
(b) William Westmoreland.
(c) Jim Drummond.
(d) J. Edgar Hoover.
5. This is one of the most effective weapons deployed by the ARVN/American forces at Ap Bac.
(a) Rocket salvos.
(c) Fifty caliber guns.
(d) All answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many M-113 armored personnel carriers are deployed by the ARVN/American forces to Ap Bac?
2. General Edward Lansdale is a clandestine operative for which U.S. government agency?
3. To save face following the Battle of Ap Bac, General Cao does which of the following?
4. What are the two key reasons why the ARVN forces did not soundly defeat the VC at Ap Bac?
5. The U.S. war strategy under the leadership of General William Westmoreland is described as a war of _______________.
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)