|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, "Antecedents to a Confrontation".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following generals is the commanding officer of U.S. personnel in Vietnam in 1962?
(a) General George S. Patton.
(b) General Bruce Palmer, Jr.
(c) General William Westmoreland.
(d) General Paul Harkins.
2. Which of the following is true regarding the interrogation tactics of the Vietnamese and Cambodian "Rangers"?
(a) They did not capture anyone, but rather killed them on the field of battle.
(b) They adhered strictly to the Geneva Convention with regard to interrogation techniques.
(c) They were considerate and polite.
(d) They were very cruel and often wound up killing their captives.
3. President Ngo Dinh Diem is made president of South Vietnam by the _______________.
(a) United Nations.
(b) American government.
(c) Viet Minh.
(d) People of South Vietnam.
4. After numerous wars with the Chinese and the French, the Vietnamese adopt the following military philosophy which gives the forces of Ho Chi Minh courage during the First and Second Indochina Wars:
(a) Non-violence is better than war.
(b) Dominance through superior numbers is the only path to victory.
(c) He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day.
(d) An ostensibly weaker force, properly guided, can defeat a stronger one.
5. Which of the following best describes the attendees at John Paul Vann's funeral?
(a) Protesters and those who disliked him.
(b) Both those that agreed and disagreed with his vision.
(c) His commanding officers, friends, and public relations agent.
(d) Only his closest friends and family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT present at the funeral of John Paul Vann?
2. What phrase best describes the bulk of the soldiers in the South Vietnamese Army?
3. Which event during the Vietnam War is used to discredit General Westmoreland's overall strategy and cause many Americans to demand an end to U.S. involvement there?
4. French occupation of Vietnam officially ends shortly after this decisive battle during the First Indochina War:
5. What is the President of the Republic of Vietnam's French name?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)