|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing particles do when they enter a black hole?
(a) Become destroyed.
(b) Stop emitting light.
(c) Cause the emission of other particles.
(d) Become very dense.
2. A long time friend of Galileo's held which high office in the church?
3. Hawking calls the possibility of the universe collapsing "the big ____?"
4. An open string is defined as what?
(a) A string that connects two things.
(b) A string that connects nothing.
(c) A string with an end.
(d) A string with no end.
5. Using low level radiation to detect black holes is in what stage of research?
6. In what year was Einstein's vocal support of the Zionist cause recognized?
7. Einstein proposed who should have control over nuclear weaponry?
(a) There should be international control.
(b) The military of each state.
(c) The civilians in each state.
(d) Only states with democracies.
8. If something can escape the event horizon of a black hole, it would be explained by thinking about the behavior of what?
9. What does chemistry allow us to calculate?
(a) The effect of radiation on a human body.
(b) The interactions of atoms.
(c) The usefulness of medication.
(d) The reactions of substances.
10. Hawking believes that if science does discover a complete theory of the universe, then humans will have come to know what?
(a) The nature of infinity.
(b) The mind of God.
(c) When humanity will end.
(d) If there is an end of time.
11. What theory says that the universe has always existed and always will?
(a) Particle physics.
(b) Grand unified theory.
(c) Quantum mechanics.
(d) Theory of everything.
12. What is one question we ask to make sense of the world around us?
(a) Why is the world the way it is?
(b) What do I do on earth?
(c) Why do I think the way I do?
(d) Why am I here?
13. If there is a grand unified theory, according to Hawking it would be the ultimate triumph of what?
(a) Human reason.
(c) Human philosophy.
14. What is one of Hawking's three possibilities for the unification of physics theory?
(a) That string theory will ultimately prevail.
(b) That the theories will be united when gravity is no longer a constant.
(c) No theory of the universe is possible at all.
(d) There will never be unification because we don't understand everything.
15. Who said, "Physics as we know it will be over in six months."
(a) Stephen Hawking.
(b) Albert Einstein.
(c) Max Born.
(d) Kurt Godel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of an arrow of time?
2. What was the name of Galileo's book that had to be smuggled to a publisher?
3. Hawking used what kind of space-time to reach the conclusion that the universe is similar to a sphere?
4. According to Hawking, when the universe has lost all order, life will be what?
5. How many questions are left unanswered prior to the development of math that incorporates quantum mechanics?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)