|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Using low level radiation to detect black holes is in what stage of research?
2. Galileo wrote about Copernicus' theory in which language?
3. A closed string is defined as what?
(a) A string that closes off an area of space.
(b) A string that connects two objects and no other.
(c) A string that has ends.
(d) A string joined up with itself in a closed loop.
4. In string theory, the strings have what dimension and no other?
5. Black holes are speculated to be clumped together due to what?
(c) Expansion of the universe.
(d) Collapse of the universe.
6. What church panel was Galileo brought before?
(a) The Seekers.
(b) The Crusade.
(c) The Censors.
(d) The Inquisition.
7. Why did the universe not collapse back on itself shortly after the big bang?
(a) We don't know.
(b) Gravity interfered.
(c) Particles became real and less dense.
(d) There was too much acceleration.
8. What book did Galileo publish, with the backing of the church's censors?
(a) Dialogue Concerning God and Science.
(b) Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems.
(c) Dialogue Concerning Humanity and the Universe.
(d) Dialogue Concerning the Relation of the World.
9. Why do researchers want to find black holes?
(a) To prevent space travelers from entering them.
(b) To prevent the orbits of earth and other possible earth-like worlds from entering them.
(c) To explain gravitational forces that the mass of the universe cannot explain.
(d) To explain strage gravitational orbits of planets in bianary star systems.
10. Galileo belied that the earth did what?
(a) Held still while everything rotated around it.
(b) Was the center of the solar system.
(c) Was the center of the universe.
(d) Orbited the sun.
11. What is one of Hawking's three possibilities for the unification of physics theory?
(a) No theory of the universe is possible at all.
(b) That the theories will be united when gravity is no longer a constant.
(c) There will never be unification because we don't understand everything.
(d) That string theory will ultimately prevail.
12. Einstein said that politics are for the present but equations are for how long?
(c) Longer than politics.
13. What might escape from a black hole?
(a) Something with more gravitational force than a black hole.
(d) Gamma rays.
14. Einstein was offered the presidency of which country?
15. Einstein divided his life between politics and what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Even empty space is filled with what?
2. Galileo was in constant conflict with what church?
3. If there is a grand unified theory, according to Hawking it would be the ultimate triumph of what?
4. How many black holes are estimated per cubic light year of space?
5. Einstein signed a letter to what President urging him to take discovery of the nuclear bomb seriously?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)