|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many black holes are estimated per cubic light year of space?
2. Galileo belied that the earth did what?
(a) Was the center of the universe.
(b) Held still while everything rotated around it.
(c) Was the center of the solar system.
(d) Orbited the sun.
3. In string theory, the strings have what dimension and no other?
4. A possible solution to combining general relativity and the uncertainty principle is what?
(b) Cancelation of infinities.
(c) Creating a new particle.
(d) Elimination of the cosmological constant.
5. Who discovered the equation that governs the electron?
6. What was the name of Galileo's book that had to be smuggled to a publisher?
(a) Modern Physics.
(b) Two New Views.
(c) Modern Sciences.
(d) Two New Sciences.
7. Gravitational force is always what?
(b) Negated by other forces.
8. Using low level radiation to detect black holes is in what stage of research?
9. Einstein divided his life between politics and what?
10. If something can escape the event horizon of a black hole, it would be explained by thinking about the behavior of what?
11. A long time friend of Galileo's held which high office in the church?
12. Gamma ray detection might be able to be used to detect what?
(a) Black holes.
(b) White dwarfs.
13. What does chemistry allow us to calculate?
(a) The effect of radiation on a human body.
(b) The usefulness of medication.
(c) The reactions of substances.
(d) The interactions of atoms.
14. What does Hawking say math is useful for?
(a) Communicating about our observations.
(b) Describing everything we know.
(c) Describing what we observe in the known universe.
(d) Communicating in a single language.
15. More than his support for Copernicus, what of Galileo's was considered the genesis of modern physics?
(a) His work on proving Copernicanism.
(b) His first major book.
(c) His development of mathematical formulas.
(d) His second major book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hawking argues that randomness must exist to a certain degree due to what?
2. Mathematics is the language of what?
3. In what year was Einstein's vocal support of the Zionist cause recognized?
4. Infinities in partial theories can be canceled out through a process known as what?
5. How many questions are left unanswered prior to the development of math that incorporates quantum mechanics?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)