|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Unlike children, scientists and philosophers, most adults use what to explain away the fundamental questions of the universe?
(a) Common sense.
2. The universe is largely made up of what?
(a) Dark matter.
(b) Empty space.
3. Quanta are made of what?
(a) Packets of emitted electromagnetic radiation.
(b) Packets of emitted hydroelectric radiation.
(c) Packets of emitted gamma radiation.
(d) Packets of emitted astroelectric radiation.
4. Who created the idea that a star can collapse and become a black hole?
(a) Arno Penzias.
(b) Alexander Friedmann.
(c) Roger Penrose.
(d) Robert Wilson.
5. Who wrote the introduction?
(a) Max Planck.
(b) Edwin Hubble.
(c) Stephen Hawking.
(d) Carl Sagan.
6. How far away is our sun from the earth in terms of light?
(a) 8 light months.
(b) 9 light months.
(c) 9 light minutes.
(d) 8 light minutes.
7. The writer of the Introduction hints that time might be able to move in what direction?
(a) A repeat cycle.
8. Why did the Christian church adopt Ptolemy's view of the universe?
(a) Because it gives room for the existence of God.
(b) Because it gives room for the existence of heaven and hell.
(c) Because it gives room for the existence of other worlds.
(d) Because it gives room for the Biblical account of creation.
9. In the universe, objects move in what type of direction?
(a) In curved lines.
(b) In straight lines.
(c) In circular motions.
(d) In waves.
10. When Hubble discovered other galaxies, in what direction were they moving?
(a) Towards earth.
(b) Towards each other.
(c) Away from earth.
(d) Away from each other.
11. Hawking is what type of physicist?
12. Which virtual particle carries the electromagnetic force?
13. When was the uncertainty principle developed?
14. What is one of the varieties of quarks?
15. How close is the closest star, other than the sun, to earth?
(a) About 5 light years distant.
(b) About 3 light years distant.
(c) About 4 light years distant.
(d) About 5 light years distant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape did Aristotle think the Earth was?
2. What question is among the unanswerable questions children ask, according to the Introduction?
3. In order to explain how black holes become a big bang, Hawking needs to include what?
4. Galaxies contain what?
5. From what location was the Introduction written?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)