|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aristotle thought that the Earth was what?
(b) Its own galaxy.
(c) In orbit around the sun.
(d) Bigger than the sun.
2. The disease Stephen Hawking has affects what?
(a) His emotions.
(b) His mind.
(c) His body.
(d) His ability to reason.
3. What is the name of the particles that make up light?
4. What is one of the categories of force-carrying virtual protons?
5. What is one of the varieties of quarks?
6. How many quarks make up a proton or neutron?
7. What question is among the unanswerable questions children ask, according to the Introduction?
(a) Why are we here?
(b) Why does time only go in one direction?
(c) Why is there a universe?
(d) What happens when we die?
8. The theory of quantum mechanics best describes what world?
(a) The small world of molecules.
(b) The small world of particles.
(c) The small world of atoms.
(d) The small world of sub-atomic particles.
9. Quanta are made of what?
(a) Packets of emitted electromagnetic radiation.
(b) Packets of emitted astroelectric radiation.
(c) Packets of emitted hydroelectric radiation.
(d) Packets of emitted gamma radiation.
10. What is one of the colors of quarks?
11. In order to explain how black holes become a big bang, Hawking needs to include what?
(a) Particle physics.
(b) Quantum mechanics.
(c) The theory of everything.
(d) The theory of relativity.
12. Black holes are similar to the singularity that existed before what event?
(a) The creation of the earth.
(b) The expansion of the universe.
(c) The destruction of cluster galaxies.
(d) The big bang.
13. What travels at the speed of 186,000 miles per second?
14. As an observer's velocity comes close to the speed of light, the observer's mass does what?
(a) Decreases to almost nothing.
(b) Increases to almost infinity.
(c) Stays the same.
(d) Covers more space.
15. Who created the idea that a star can collapse and become a black hole?
(a) Alexander Friedmann.
(b) Roger Penrose.
(c) Arno Penzias.
(d) Robert Wilson.
Short Answer Questions
1. The general theory of relativity best describes what world?
2. Which virtual particle carries the electromagnetic force?
3. Hawking co-authored a paper in what year that explains the big bang theory?
4. The universe is largely made up of what?
5. Who brought forth the idea that the earth and planets revolve around the sun?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)