|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Galaxies contain what?
(b) The earth.
(c) Other galaxies.
(d) The universe.
2. In what year did Edwin Hubble discover galaxies outside of our own?
3. In the universe, objects move in what type of direction?
(a) In circular motions.
(b) In straight lines.
(c) In curved lines.
(d) In waves.
4. Scientists start their understanding of the universe with what?
(a) Observations and mathematics.
(d) A theory.
5. Who discovered the theory of gravity?
6. Stars without enough mass to become a black hole can become what?
(a) White dwarfs.
(b) Red giants.
(c) Red dwarfs.
(d) Blue giants.
7. Heisenberg and Erwin Shrodinger developed what reformulation of standard mechanics?
(a) Atomic mechanics.
(b) Quantum mechanics.
(c) Relativity mechanics.
(d) Theoretical mechanics.
8. Time is not separate from space, but is combined with it to form what?
(a) Three dimensional space.
(c) The spectrum.
(d) The two dimesions.
9. As a consequence of quantum mechanics, waves sometimes behave like what?
10. What theory best describes the singularities of black holes and big bangs?
(a) Theory of everything.
(b) Theory of relativity.
(c) Quantum mechanics.
(d) Molecular engineering.
11. A black hole has zero what?
(c) Volume and surface area.
12. Unlike children, scientists and philosophers, most adults use what to explain away the fundamental questions of the universe?
(a) Common sense.
13. Who wrote the introduction?
(a) Carl Sagan.
(b) Edwin Hubble.
(c) Stephen Hawking.
(d) Max Planck.
14. Who published a paper on Brownian motion in 1905?
(a) Murray Gell-Mann.
(b) Ernest Rutherford.
(c) Albert Einstein.
(d) James Chadwick.
15. In what year did Wolfgang Pauli bring the exclusion principle to physics?
Short Answer Questions
1. The development of what kind of technology depends upon the theory of quantum mechanics?
2. Who proposed the elliptical orbits of the planets?
3. Black holes are similar to the singularity that existed before what event?
4. From what location was the Introduction written?
5. The general theory of relativity best describes what world?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)