|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who created the idea that a star can collapse and become a black hole?
(a) Robert Wilson.
(b) Roger Penrose.
(c) Alexander Friedmann.
(d) Arno Penzias.
2. Most people believe that since the universe had a beginning it must have a what?
(a) A middle.
(b) A timeline.
(c) An end.
(d) A birth.
3. Who discovered the theory of gravity?
4. What travels at the speed of 186,000 miles per second?
5. Edwin Hubble's observation that the universe is expanding supports what theory?
(a) The Dark Matter theory.
(b) The Universe Expansion theory.
(c) The Big Bang theory.
(d) The Dark Bang theory.
6. Who created the relativity formula that states energy equals mass multiplied by the speed of light squared?
7. Groups of atoms create what?
(d) Empty space.
8. Light moves along what sort of lines?
9. If we created a black hole by exploding a very large hydrogen bomb what would happen?
(a) The inner solar system would be destroyed.
(b) The entire solar system would be destroyed.
(c) The sun would be destroyed.
(d) The entire world would be destroyed.
10. Black holes are similar to the singularity that existed before what event?
(a) The creation of the earth.
(b) The big bang.
(c) The expansion of the universe.
(d) The destruction of cluster galaxies.
11. What question is among the unanswerable questions children ask, according to the Introduction?
(a) Why does time only go in one direction?
(b) What happens when we die?
(c) Why is there a universe?
(d) Why are we here?
12. Aristotle thought that the Earth was what?
(a) In orbit around the sun.
(c) Bigger than the sun.
(d) Its own galaxy.
13. Galileo found the moons of what planet using his telescope?
14. Aristotle and who believed that time is not absolute?
15. For satellites orbiting the earth, time does what in relation to the ground of the earth?
(a) Remains the same.
(b) Slows down.
(c) Speeds up.
(d) Runs almost at the same pace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who developed the uncertainty principle?
2. Why do the theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity need to be unified?
3. The point at which the force of a black hole becomes so strong that nothing can escape is called what?
4. The distance light travels in an earth year is called what?
5. Who proposed the elliptical orbits of the planets?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)