|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 28, what does the narrator say has become his weekly habit since Missy's death?
2. Whom does Miles accuse of screwing up the investigation into Missy's death?
3. In Chapter 18, how much damage did the narrator find to the front of his car after the accident?
4. Does Earl corroborate Sims Addison's story about Otis Timson confessing to killing Missy Ryan?
5. What does Sarah say about Sims' and Earl's testimony concerning Otis' supposed confession?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 27, whom does Sarah turn to for advice about Miles? What is Sarah most concerned about in regards to Miles?
2. In Chapter 20, where does Miles go after Charlie sends him home? What does he notice there?
3. In Chapter 29, why does Brian suddenly feel it is important to tell Sarah to make Miles back off of Otis Timson? What does Brian reveal to the reader in this chapter?
4. In Chapter 16, what does the unnamed narrator say he did when he saw Missy up ahead of him on the road?
5. In Chapter 24, what is Miles doing when Jonah comes home from school? What does he tell Sarah when she later comes to the house?
6. How does Miles react to Jonah's questions about his mother when he finds Miles watching home videos?
7. What detail of Brian's story finally gets through to Miles and makes him realize that it was only an accident?
8. Why does Sims Addison claim in Chapter 17 that he never wants to return to jail?
9. Why does Miles not file a report on Sims Addison before his shift is over? How does Sims use this to his advantage?
10. What threats against Miles does the district attorney and the Timson family attorney make to Charlie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Miles and Sarah meet the first time? What are their impressions of one another? How can the reader tell how Miles feels about Sarah? How can the reader see how Sarah feels about Miles? Why does it take so long for Miles to ask Sarah out? What experience does Miles have in this area? How does Sarah react when Miles finally attempts to ask her out? What does this say about Sarah? Why does Miles feel the need to explain what dating means to Jonah? What impact might a new romantic relationship for Miles mean for Jonah? Does Jonah's age impact this any? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Miles accuse Sarah of having known of Brian's role in Missy death all along? What does Miles think Sarah was trying to do? Why did Miles push Sarah away? Why did Miles say that he could not be with Sarah after learning the truth about Brian? Did Miles still blame Sarah in some way? Why does Miles take Jonah and go away for a while at the end of the book? What was the meaning of the two candles that Sarah sees in her window later? What does this suggest about Miles and Sarah's relationship after the close of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Charlie refuse to allow Miles to work on the investigation into Otis Timson's role in Missy's death? Why does the district attorney threaten to have Miles arrested? Why does Charlie defend Miles even if he thinks Miles did something wrong? Why does Charlie agree to look into Sims Addison's allegations? What does he learn? Why does Charlie become concerned that Miles might hurt Otis Timson? Who is among those who call Charlie to warn him about Miles' behavior? Why?
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)