|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the epilogue, what career does Brian reveal that he has chosen?
2. In Chapter 24, where does Jonah spend the evening after Otis' arrest?
3. In Chapter 37, what does Charlie imply he knows about Brian and Miles?
4. In Chapter 18, how much damage did the narrator find to the front of his car after the accident?
5. What does the narrator say Missy was wearing on the day he hit her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who calls Charlie with information about Miles? What does Charlie do as a result of these phone calls?
2. In Chapter 16, what does the unnamed narrator say he did when he saw Missy up ahead of him on the road?
3. Why does the unnamed narrator begin to spy on Jonah and Miles? What does he hope to see?
4. Why does Miles not tell Charlie the truth about his car accident and why he had Brian Andrews handcuffed in the back of his car? Why does Charlie not question him further?
5. In Chapter 26, what does Charlie do when Miles reports for work first thing in the morning?
6. What does Charlie imply he knows about Brian Andrews? How does Miles respond?
7. How does Sarah react to the revelation that Brian killed Missy Ryan?
8. In Chapter 29, why does Brian suddenly feel it is important to tell Sarah to make Miles back off of Otis Timson? What does Brian reveal to the reader in this chapter?
9. What does Miles do during the arrest of Otis Timson that could come back to haunt him later?
10. In Chapter 27, why does Miles lash out at Sarah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Missy's accident. Was it truly an accident? Did Brian do something wrong in the way he was driving? Was Missy at fault for her own death? Why did Missy jump into the road? How could Brian have avoided the accident? Why did Brian leave the scene of the accident? What might have happened had Brian called the police? What would have happened if Brian had called the police the next day? Why did Brian not tell anyone about his role in Missy's accident? Why did Miles later tell Brian not to tell anyone? Why did Miles let Brian go? Why does Brian tell the reader that Miles did what he did for Jonah's sake? How might it have impacted Jonah's life if Brian had been arrested for Missy's death?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Sarah Andrews? Why does the author immediately introduce her divorce and the cause for it? What impact might such a situation have on a future relationship for Sarah? Does this situation impact Sarah's ability to be a romantic partner, to be a mother? What does Sarah think of Jonah Ryan? Why is Sarah concerned about him? Is what happened to Jonah a common occurrence? Why does Sarah think the previous teachers did Jonah a disservice? Did they? What does Sarah's opinion of Jonah and his situation say about Sarah as a teacher? About Sarah as a person?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Otis Timson? Why is Miles upset to learn that Otis will be released from jail that day? What does Miles think Otis has done? What has Otis done in the past that upsets Miles? Why does Miles think Otis is a criminal when Otis has never really been convicted of any serious crimes? How does Charlie feel about Otis? Does this give credence to Miles' thoughts or does it make Miles appear as to have a vendetta for Otis? How might this discussion about Otis foreshadow a later conflict between Miles and Otis?
This section contains 1,377 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)