|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who/what keeps Miles from committing murder?
2. In Chapter 20, what does Charlie tell Miles to do for the rest of the day?
3. Where does Miles go after leaving the sheriff's office?
4. In Chapter 16, what does the unnamed narrator say his destination was the night of Missy's death?
5. In Chapter 36, what does Brian momentarily think Miles intends to do to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miles not tell Charlie the truth about his car accident and why he had Brian Andrews handcuffed in the back of his car? Why does Charlie not question him further?
2. How does Charlie react when he learns that Miles arrested Otis Timson?
3. Despite a reluctance to return to jail, what is Sims Addison doing in Chapter 17 when Miles pulls him over?
4. In Chapter 29, why does Brian suddenly feel it is important to tell Sarah to make Miles back off of Otis Timson? What does Brian reveal to the reader in this chapter?
5. In Chapter 26, when does Miles finally notice that Sarah has gone? Why does he notice?
6. Who calls Charlie with information about Miles? What does Charlie do as a result of these phone calls?
7. In Chapter 24, what is Miles doing when Jonah comes home from school? What does he tell Sarah when she later comes to the house?
8. In Chapter 26, what does Charlie do when Miles reports for work first thing in the morning?
9. What does the unnamed narrator say he was doing the night of Missy's death?
10. In Chapter 31, how does Miles react when Charlie comes to speak to him? What does Charlie want from Miles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Miles accuse Sarah of having known of Brian's role in Missy death all along? What does Miles think Sarah was trying to do? Why did Miles push Sarah away? Why did Miles say that he could not be with Sarah after learning the truth about Brian? Did Miles still blame Sarah in some way? Why does Miles take Jonah and go away for a while at the end of the book? What was the meaning of the two candles that Sarah sees in her window later? What does this suggest about Miles and Sarah's relationship after the close of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in an essay:
1) Setting: The small town setting and its impact on the characters.
2) Setting: The author's decision to set the novel in the 1980s rather than modern time.
3) Structure: The use of an unnamed narrator to preface the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does Miles feel about dating Sarah? What does Miles tell Sarah about Missy? Is Miles comfortable dating again? Why does Miles take Sarah on the tour of haunted houses in downtown New Bern? What story does Miles specifically want Sarah to hear? In that story, why did Katheryn place candles in her window? What was the message these candles were supposed to give to Harris? What does Sarah take from this story? What did Miles want her to take from the story? How do the candles become a symbol to Sarah later in the book?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)