|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the epilogue, what career does Brian reveal that he has chosen?
2. In Chapter 35, what question tortures Miles most about Brian's confession?
3. In Chapter 32, what is the first thing about Brian's story that makes Miles realize what Brian is telling him?
4. What does the narrator say Missy was wearing on the day he hit her?
5. What injury does Brian suffer in the accident with Miles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sims Addison claim in Chapter 17 that he never wants to return to jail?
2. In Chapter 26, what does Charlie do when Miles reports for work first thing in the morning?
3. How does Sarah react to the revelation that Brian killed Missy Ryan?
4. What does the unnamed narrator say he was doing the night of Missy's death?
5. What does Charlie imply he knows about Brian Andrews? How does Miles respond?
6. In Chapter 28, why does the unnamed narrator say he finally felt as though he could stop watching the Ryan home? Why is this?
7. How does Miles react when Sarah and Brian tell him the truth about the accident that killed Missy?
8. In Chapter 24, what is Miles doing when Jonah comes home from school? What does he tell Sarah when she later comes to the house?
9. In Chapter 29, why does Brian suddenly feel it is important to tell Sarah to make Miles back off of Otis Timson? What does Brian reveal to the reader in this chapter?
10. In Chapter 16, what does the unnamed narrator say he did when he saw Missy up ahead of him on the road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the unnamed narrator? Why does he remain unnamed for such a long time in the novel? Why does the narrator feel that it is so important to tell Sarah and Miles' story? What clues are given to the reader throughout the book as to the narrator's identity? What clues are given to suggest the narrator is the one who killed Missy Ryan? Why did the narrator kill Missy? Was it truly an accident? If it was an accident, why did the narrator not call the police immediately? Did age have something to do with the narrator's actions? In what way?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay:
1) Miles and Jonah.
2) Jonah and Sarah.
3) Sarah and her mother.
4) Miles and Charlie.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Miles arrest Otis Timson? Should Miles have arrested Otis on charges of killing Missy? Should Miles have handled the situation differently? Why did Miles hold a gun to Otis' head? What charges could Miles face for doing such a thing? Was Miles acting inappropriately? What does it say about Miles that he did not kill Otis when given the chance? Why did Miles not tell Charlie immediately what was going on? What might have happened differently if Miles had gone to Charlie first?
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)