|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the narrator give for leaving the scene of the crime?
2. What does the narrator think caused Missy's death?
3. In Chapter 36, what does Brian momentarily think Miles intends to do to him?
4. What does the narrator see Miles fail to do with Jonah while he is watching them after Missy's death?
5. In Chapter 31, what does Miles tell Sarah that Charlie took from him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Sims tell Miles that makes Miles rush out of the sheriff's office without first speaking to Charlie?
2. In Chapter 27, why does Miles lash out at Sarah?
3. What detail of Brian's story finally gets through to Miles and makes him realize that it was only an accident?
4. Why does Miles tell Sarah he took the gun out of the gardening shed? Why does Miles say he can no longer see Sarah?
5. In Chapter 16, what does the unnamed narrator say he did when he saw Missy up ahead of him on the road?
6. In Chapter 28, why does the unnamed narrator say he finally felt as though he could stop watching the Ryan home? Why is this?
7. How does Charlie react when he learns that Miles arrested Otis Timson?
8. Who calls Charlie with information about Miles? What does Charlie do as a result of these phone calls?
9. How does Miles react when Sarah and Brian tell him the truth about the accident that killed Missy?
10. In Chapter 29, why does Brian suddenly feel it is important to tell Sarah to make Miles back off of Otis Timson? What does Brian reveal to the reader in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay:
4) Moving On.
Essay Topic 2
What happens to Miles when he hears Sims Addison's accusations against Otis Timson? How does Miles react to Charlie's insistence that he stay out of the investigation? Why does Miles go to Sarah with his frustrations? How does Sarah react? What does this tell Miles about Sarah's concern in the situation? What impact will these new accusations have on Miles and Sarah's relationship? Does this imply that Miles is not over Missy? Does this imply that Miles does not love Sarah?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Charlie take Miles' guns and his case file in Missy's death? What is Charlie afraid Miles will do? Does the reader think Miles is capable of such an act? Why does Miles later find a gun that he had hidden away? What does Miles plan to do with this gun? Would killing the person responsible really make things easier for Miles in regards to Missy's death? Would Missy have wanted him to do such a thing? What would happen to Jonah? Would Charlie be able to arrest Miles for such an act?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)