|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the D.A. tell Charlie will be a deciding factor in whether or not he files charges against Miles for police brutality?
2. In Chapter 20, what was Otis' alibi two years ago for the night of Missy's death?
3. In Chapter 20, what does Charlie tell Miles to do for the rest of the day?
4. In Chapter 21, what does the narrator talk about hearing two weeks after Missy's funeral?
5. In Chapter 32, Sarah meets Brian on Monday morning at the __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the unnamed narrator say he was doing the night of Missy's death?
2. What does Charlie imply he knows about Brian Andrews? How does Miles respond?
3. Why does Miles tell Sarah he took the gun out of the gardening shed? Why does Miles say he can no longer see Sarah?
4. In Chapter 27, whom does Sarah turn to for advice about Miles? What is Sarah most concerned about in regards to Miles?
5. How does Miles react when Sarah and Brian tell him the truth about the accident that killed Missy?
6. In Chapter 31, how does Miles react when Charlie comes to speak to him? What does Charlie want from Miles?
7. In Chapter 27, why does Miles lash out at Sarah?
8. Why does Miles not tell Charlie the truth about his car accident and why he had Brian Andrews handcuffed in the back of his car? Why does Charlie not question him further?
9. In Chapter 26, what does Charlie do when Miles reports for work first thing in the morning?
10. How does Sarah react to the revelation that Brian killed Missy Ryan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Miles feel about dating Sarah? What does Miles tell Sarah about Missy? Is Miles comfortable dating again? Why does Miles take Sarah on the tour of haunted houses in downtown New Bern? What story does Miles specifically want Sarah to hear? In that story, why did Katheryn place candles in her window? What was the message these candles were supposed to give to Harris? What does Sarah take from this story? What did Miles want her to take from the story? How do the candles become a symbol to Sarah later in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Miles arrest Otis Timson? Should Miles have arrested Otis on charges of killing Missy? Should Miles have handled the situation differently? Why did Miles hold a gun to Otis' head? What charges could Miles face for doing such a thing? Was Miles acting inappropriately? What does it say about Miles that he did not kill Otis when given the chance? Why did Miles not tell Charlie immediately what was going on? What might have happened differently if Miles had gone to Charlie first?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Sarah invite Miles and Jonah to have Thanksgiving with her family? What do Sarah's parents think of Miles and Jonah? What is Sarah's relationship like with Brian, her brother? How does Brian react to meeting Miles and Jonah? What explanation does the reader infer from this reaction? Later, what makes Miles think he might like to marry Sarah someday? How does this realization make Miles feel about Missy? What impact might this have on Jonah? Is Sarah aware of the depth of Miles' feelings? How does the reader know this?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)