|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, why does Sarah say her parents moved to New Bern several years before she did?
2. How old was Missy Ryan when she was killed?
3. What aspect of Missy's case bothers Miles the most, according to Brenda in Chapter 8?
4. In Chapter 11, how many times does Sarah's mother call her before her first date with Miles?
5. What game do Sarah and Miles play that Sarah proves to be surprisingly good at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the unnamed narrator tell the reader he went to Missy's funeral?
2. Why does Sarah tell Miles in Chapter 3 that she does not usually tutor students herself but will make an exception in this case?
3. In Chapter 13, how does Miles react when Sarah tells him she cannot have children?
4. In Chapter 12, what does Miles tell Sarah about Missy? How does Sarah respond?
5. Why does Brenda insist on talking with Sarah about Miles? What does Brenda tell Sarah about Miles?
6. In Chapter 13, what story does Miss Harkins tell Sarah and Miles?
7. How does Miles deal with Jonah's many nightmares?
8. How did Miles come to have a case file on the death of his wife? What does he do with it?
9. Why does Jonah object in Chapter 5 to having to stay after school with Miss Andrews several times a week? How does Miles talk him into cooperating?
10. What does the unnamed narrator in Chapter 4 tell the reader kept Miles from looking for Missy on the day of her death when she was late coming home? Who told Miles about Missy's accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Otis Timson? Why is Miles upset to learn that Otis will be released from jail that day? What does Miles think Otis has done? What has Otis done in the past that upsets Miles? Why does Miles think Otis is a criminal when Otis has never really been convicted of any serious crimes? How does Charlie feel about Otis? Does this give credence to Miles' thoughts or does it make Miles appear as to have a vendetta for Otis? How might this discussion about Otis foreshadow a later conflict between Miles and Otis?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Miles accuse Sarah of having known of Brian's role in Missy death all along? What does Miles think Sarah was trying to do? Why did Miles push Sarah away? Why did Miles say that he could not be with Sarah after learning the truth about Brian? Did Miles still blame Sarah in some way? Why does Miles take Jonah and go away for a while at the end of the book? What was the meaning of the two candles that Sarah sees in her window later? What does this suggest about Miles and Sarah's relationship after the close of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay:
4) Moving On.
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)