|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what excuse does Sarah learn she can use if she is ever late for an appointment again?
2. What is the point of view used in the majority of this novel?
3. In Chapter 1, what does Miles think Missy's reaction to Jonah's troubles would have been?
4. What river can Miles see from his back porch?
5. In Chapter 14, what reason does Sarah give for delaying introducing Miles to her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the unnamed narrator say this story is about? Why does he preface this by telling the reader all about Missy Ryan?
2. How does Sarah react to the news that her ex-husband is planning to remarry? Why does she react this way?
3. What makes Miles suddenly realize he might like to ask Sarah to marry him one day?
4. In Chapter 12, what does Miles tell Sarah about Missy? How does Sarah respond?
5. What are the two boys hunting in an abandoned house when Miles catches them in chapter 7? What does he do?
6. Why does the unnamed narrator tell the reader he went to Missy's funeral?
7. Why does Jonah object in Chapter 5 to having to stay after school with Miss Andrews several times a week? How does Miles talk him into cooperating?
8. What reason does Sarah give for inviting Miles and Jonah to her family home for Thanksgiving dinner?
9. In Chapter 13, how does Miles react when Sarah tells him she cannot have children?
10. In Chapter 1, what did Miles find in Jonah's backpack? What does Jonah have to say about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Miles accuse Sarah of having known of Brian's role in Missy death all along? What does Miles think Sarah was trying to do? Why did Miles push Sarah away? Why did Miles say that he could not be with Sarah after learning the truth about Brian? Did Miles still blame Sarah in some way? Why does Miles take Jonah and go away for a while at the end of the book? What was the meaning of the two candles that Sarah sees in her window later? What does this suggest about Miles and Sarah's relationship after the close of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How do Miles and Sarah meet the first time? What are their impressions of one another? How can the reader tell how Miles feels about Sarah? How can the reader see how Sarah feels about Miles? Why does it take so long for Miles to ask Sarah out? What experience does Miles have in this area? How does Sarah react when Miles finally attempts to ask her out? What does this say about Sarah? Why does Miles feel the need to explain what dating means to Jonah? What impact might a new romantic relationship for Miles mean for Jonah? Does Jonah's age impact this any? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Missy Ryan? How did she die? What does the unnamed narrator say about Missy? Why does the unnamed narrator make it clear that this book is not about Missy? What was Miles and Missy's relationship like? How might their lives had played out if Missy had not been killed? What impact did Missy's death have on her son? What impact did it have on her husband? How did Missy's death impact the small town of New Bern? How do these changes play a role in this novel?
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)