|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tryon Palace?
2. Who is Mrs. Knowlson?
3. What does Miles refer to as D-Day?
4. In Chapter 6, what was the first thing that went wrong in Sarah's day?
5. In Chapter 13, what does Sarah say she once enjoyed doing at the bistros in the big city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Sarah give for inviting Miles and Jonah to her family home for Thanksgiving dinner?
2. Why does Sarah show up at Jonah's soccer game one Saturday at the end of Chapter 7? How does Miles react?
3. How does Miles deal with Jonah's many nightmares?
4. Why does Jonah object in Chapter 5 to having to stay after school with Miss Andrews several times a week? How does Miles talk him into cooperating?
5. How did Miles come to have a case file on the death of his wife? What does he do with it?
6. In Chapter 13, Miles asks Sarah about living in the big city. What does Sarah tell him? How does he react?
7. Why has Sarah Andrews moved to New Bern? Why did she choose an apartment in downtown New Bern despite the difficult parking situation?
8. Whom does Sarah run into as she waits for Miles to get their drinks at the Tavern? What is her initial impression of him?
9. In Chapter 1, what did Miles find in Jonah's backpack? What does Jonah have to say about it?
10. What does the unnamed narrator in Chapter 4 tell the reader kept Miles from looking for Missy on the day of her death when she was late coming home? Who told Miles about Missy's accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay:
4) Moving On.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Missy Ryan? How did she die? What does the unnamed narrator say about Missy? Why does the unnamed narrator make it clear that this book is not about Missy? What was Miles and Missy's relationship like? How might their lives had played out if Missy had not been killed? What impact did Missy's death have on her son? What impact did it have on her husband? How did Missy's death impact the small town of New Bern? How do these changes play a role in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in an essay:
1) Point of view.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)