|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Miles do the night Missy died instead of blowing the cut grass off the sidewalk as she had asked?
2. For what reason does Sarah realize Miles had so much trouble asking her out?
3. In Chapter 6, what was the first thing that went wrong in Sarah's day?
4. What does Jonah sleep with every night that Missy gave him?
5. Why does Miles say he does not like Sarah's ex-husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sarah tell Miles in Chapter 3 that she does not usually tutor students herself but will make an exception in this case?
2. Whom does Sarah run into as she waits for Miles to get their drinks at the Tavern? What is her initial impression of him?
3. Why does Brenda insist on talking with Sarah about Miles? What does Brenda tell Sarah about Miles?
4. How does Miles react when Charlie tells him that Otis Timson would be released from jail that day? For what reason?
5. How did Miles come to have a case file on the death of his wife? What does he do with it?
6. Why has Sarah Andrews moved to New Bern? Why did she choose an apartment in downtown New Bern despite the difficult parking situation?
7. In Chapter 13, what story does Miss Harkins tell Sarah and Miles?
8. What did Miles do the day Missy died rather than stay home and care for the lawn as she asked? What were the last words he said to her that day?
9. Who does the unnamed narrator say this story is about? Why does he preface this by telling the reader all about Missy Ryan?
10. Why does Sarah show up at Jonah's soccer game one Saturday at the end of Chapter 7? How does Miles react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay:
1) Point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Miles arrest Otis Timson? Should Miles have arrested Otis on charges of killing Missy? Should Miles have handled the situation differently? Why did Miles hold a gun to Otis' head? What charges could Miles face for doing such a thing? Was Miles acting inappropriately? What does it say about Miles that he did not kill Otis when given the chance? Why did Miles not tell Charlie immediately what was going on? What might have happened differently if Miles had gone to Charlie first?
Essay Topic 3
What is Miles' job? How does the author introduce this occupation to the reader? Is Miles good at his job? Why does Miles let two boys go after he catches them shooting owls in an abandoned house? Why did the author include this scene in his book? What does this scene say about Miles? What does it say about Miles as a sheriff's deputy? Later, why does the author have Miles be the deputy who arrests Sims Addison? What impact does this arrest have on Miles? What information does Sims give to Miles? What might Sims have done if it had been different deputy who arrested him that night? Why did Sims wait so long to come forward with this information?
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)