|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 19, who tries to stop Miles from leaving the sheriff's office?
2. Whom does Miles accuse of screwing up the investigation into Missy's death?
(b) The highway patrol.
(c) The D.A.
(d) Everyone but himself.
3. Who is Bennie Wiggins?
(a) A bus driver.
(b) A taxi cab driver.
(c) A church van driver.
(d) A retired school teacher.
4. In Chapter 22, who meets Charlie at the gates of Hailey State Prison?
(a) A guard.
(b) Earl's attorney.
(c) The warden.
(d) Earl's parole officer.
5. Does Earl corroborate Sims Addison's story about Otis Timson confessing to killing Missy Ryan?
(b) He refuses to speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, why does Miles slam on the brakes in his car while returning to town?
2. In Chapter 26, why does Jonah tell Miles he does not like the case file on Missy's accident?
3. In Chapter 19, who confronts Miles when he reaches his destination?
4. What does Jonah tell Miles he dreamed about?
5. What failed to happen after Sims Addison's arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the unnamed narrator begin to spy on Jonah and Miles? What does he hope to see?
2. What does Charlie imply he knows about Brian Andrews? How does Miles respond?
3. In Chapter 20, where does Miles go after Charlie sends him home? What does he notice there?
4. How does Sarah react to the revelation that Brian killed Missy Ryan?
5. What does Miles do during the arrest of Otis Timson that could come back to haunt him later?
6. In Chapter 31, how does Miles react when Charlie comes to speak to him? What does Charlie want from Miles?
7. In Chapter 28, why does the unnamed narrator say he finally felt as though he could stop watching the Ryan home? Why is this?
8. In Chapter 24, what is Miles doing when Jonah comes home from school? What does he tell Sarah when she later comes to the house?
9. In Chapter 16, what does the unnamed narrator say he did when he saw Missy up ahead of him on the road?
10. What threats against Miles does the district attorney and the Timson family attorney make to Charlie?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)