|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charlie learns in Chapter 24 that his deputy has not been able to locate ________ all day.
(a) Earl Getlin.
(b) Otis Timson.
(c) Sims Addison.
(d) Miles Ryan.
2. What does the D.A. tell Charlie will be a deciding factor in whether or not he files charges against Miles for police brutality?
(a) If Miles hurts another prisoner.
(b) If Miles is not fired from his job.
(c) If Miles causes any more trouble.
(d) If Miles refuses to drop charges against Otis.
3. What does the narrator see Miles fail to do with Jonah while he is watching them after Missy's death?
(a) Care for his hygiene.
(b) Speak to him.
(c) Comfort him.
(d) Make him go to bed.
4. What does the narrator say Missy was wearing on the day he hit her?
(a) Blue shorts and a white shirt.
(b) White sweats and a blue shirt.
(c) Blue shorts and a green shirt.
(d) White sweats and a green shirt.
5. In Chapter 19, who confronts Miles when he reaches his destination?
(b) Clyde Timson.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 32, Sarah meets Brian on Monday morning at the __________.
2. What does the narrator say he was waiting for in the weeks after Missy's death?
3. What decision does Charlie make about Miles' job?
4. In the epilogue, what career does Brian reveal that he has chosen?
5. In Chapter 22, who meets Charlie at the gates of Hailey State Prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miles react to Jonah's questions about his mother when he finds Miles watching home videos?
2. What threats against Miles does the district attorney and the Timson family attorney make to Charlie?
3. Why does Miles not tell Charlie the truth about his car accident and why he had Brian Andrews handcuffed in the back of his car? Why does Charlie not question him further?
4. In Chapter 26, what does Charlie do when Miles reports for work first thing in the morning?
5. How does Charlie react when he learns that Miles arrested Otis Timson?
6. In Chapter 28, why does the unnamed narrator say he finally felt as though he could stop watching the Ryan home? Why is this?
7. In Chapter 22, after visiting Earl Getlin, what conclusion does Charlie come to about Sims' statements?
8. How does Sarah react to the revelation that Brian killed Missy Ryan?
9. Despite a reluctance to return to jail, what is Sims Addison doing in Chapter 17 when Miles pulls him over?
10. Why does Miles not arrest Brian when he sees him at Missy's grave?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)