|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 32, for what reason does Sarah decide Miles should know the truth about Missy's death?
(a) She would feel too guilty.
(b) Missy's death should be avenged.
(c) Miles deserves the truth.
(d) Brian deserves to be punished.
2. In Chapter 32, Sarah meets Brian on Monday morning at the __________.
(b) Court house.
(c) Police station.
3. What reason does the narrator give for leaving the scene of the crime?
(a) He needed to go home.
(b) He was confused.
(c) He was covering up his crime.
(d) He was frightened.
4. In Chapter 17, the author compare Sims Addison to what animal?
(a) A dog.
(b) A rat.
(c) A bird.
(d) A mouse.
5. What does Sarah say about Sims' and Earl's testimony concerning Otis' supposed confession?
(a) Otis was joking, and they knew it.
(b) They did not hear such a thing.
(c) Someone else must have said it.
(d) They heard it wrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sarah react to Brian's description of the actual accident?
2. Why did the narrator cover Missy with a blanket?
3. What does Miles pull out of hiding and begin to study?
4. Charlie learns in Chapter 24 that his deputy has not been able to locate ________ all day.
5. In Chapter 16, what does the unnamed narrator say his destination was the night of Missy's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What detail of Brian's story finally gets through to Miles and makes him realize that it was only an accident?
2. Why does Miles not arrest Brian when he sees him at Missy's grave?
3. What does Miles do during the arrest of Otis Timson that could come back to haunt him later?
4. In Chapter 31, how does Miles react when Charlie comes to speak to him? What does Charlie want from Miles?
5. Why does the unnamed narrator begin to spy on Jonah and Miles? What does he hope to see?
6. In Chapter 22, after visiting Earl Getlin, what conclusion does Charlie come to about Sims' statements?
7. In Chapter 26, when does Miles finally notice that Sarah has gone? Why does he notice?
8. Despite a reluctance to return to jail, what is Sims Addison doing in Chapter 17 when Miles pulls him over?
9. In Chapter 16, what does the unnamed narrator say he did when he saw Missy up ahead of him on the road?
10. Why does Miles not file a report on Sims Addison before his shift is over? How does Sims use this to his advantage?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)