|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the epilogue, what career does Brian reveal that he has chosen?
(a) Emergency room physician.
(c) Trauma surgeon.
(d) Social worker.
2. Who is Thurman Jones?
(a) The D.A.
(b) Charlie's cousin.
(c) Hailey Prison warden.
(d) The Timson family lawyer.
3. In Chapter 32, what does Sarah say Miles does not care about?
(a) He got everything wrong.
(b) It was only an accident.
(c) Brian is sorry.
(d) She loves him.
4. What does the narrator say Missy was wearing on the day he hit her?
(a) Blue shorts and a white shirt.
(b) White sweats and a blue shirt.
(c) Blue shorts and a green shirt.
(d) White sweats and a green shirt.
5. In Chapter 22, Charlie learns that Earl claims __________set him up for his current conviction.
(a) Otis Timson.
(c) Clyde Timson.
(d) Miles Ryan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does Charlie make about Miles' job?
2. In Chapter 31, to whose house does Charlie go on Sunday rather than to church?
3. Who repeatedly calls to speak to Charlie after Otis Timson is arrested?
4. What makes Sarah think that Otis Timson might be in danger from Miles?
5. In Chapter 18, why does the narrator say he failed to contact the police the day after Missy's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miles not file a report on Sims Addison before his shift is over? How does Sims use this to his advantage?
2. Despite a reluctance to return to jail, what is Sims Addison doing in Chapter 17 when Miles pulls him over?
3. Why does Miles not tell Charlie the truth about his car accident and why he had Brian Andrews handcuffed in the back of his car? Why does Charlie not question him further?
4. In Chapter 29, why does Brian suddenly feel it is important to tell Sarah to make Miles back off of Otis Timson? What does Brian reveal to the reader in this chapter?
5. What story does Sims tell Miles that makes Miles rush out of the sheriff's office without first speaking to Charlie?
6. In Chapter 22, after visiting Earl Getlin, what conclusion does Charlie come to about Sims' statements?
7. Why does Miles not arrest Brian when he sees him at Missy's grave?
8. In Chapter 24, what is Miles doing when Jonah comes home from school? What does he tell Sarah when she later comes to the house?
9. Who calls Charlie with information about Miles? What does Charlie do as a result of these phone calls?
10. Why does Miles tell Sarah he took the gun out of the gardening shed? Why does Miles say he can no longer see Sarah?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)