|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 35, what question tortures Miles most about Brian's confession?
(a) What now?
(c) Does it matter?
(d) Did she suffer?
2. In Chapter 35, who was babysitting Jonah throughout Miles' whole ordeal with Brian?
(c) Mrs. Knowlson.
3. What does Miles pull out of hiding and begin to study?
(a) His case file in Missy's death.
(b) Old newspaper clippings about Missy's death.
(c) Old arrest records on Otis.
(d) Pictures of Missy.
4. Charlie learns that Earl has made what claims against the prison system?
(a) They are at fault for his injury.
(b) They are holding him without benefit of trial.
(c) They have treated him unfairly.
(d) They have failed to treat his health problems.
5. In Chapter 36, what does Brian momentarily think Miles intends to do to him?
(a) Beat him up.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Arrest him.
(d) Bury him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Earl Getlin?
2. What makes Sarah think that Otis Timson might be in danger from Miles?
3. In Chapter 37, what does Charlie imply he knows about Brian and Miles?
4. What does the narrator say he was waiting for in the weeks after Missy's death?
5. What angers Sarah most about Brian's confession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sims Addison claim in Chapter 17 that he never wants to return to jail?
2. What threats against Miles does the district attorney and the Timson family attorney make to Charlie?
3. In Chapter 26, when does Miles finally notice that Sarah has gone? Why does he notice?
4. How does Miles react to Jonah's questions about his mother when he finds Miles watching home videos?
5. In Chapter 29, why does Brian suddenly feel it is important to tell Sarah to make Miles back off of Otis Timson? What does Brian reveal to the reader in this chapter?
6. What detail of Brian's story finally gets through to Miles and makes him realize that it was only an accident?
7. What does the unnamed narrator say he was doing the night of Missy's death?
8. Why does Miles not tell Charlie the truth about his car accident and why he had Brian Andrews handcuffed in the back of his car? Why does Charlie not question him further?
9. Why does the unnamed narrator begin to spy on Jonah and Miles? What does he hope to see?
10. Why does Miles not arrest Brian when he sees him at Missy's grave?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)