|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Sarah think that Otis Timson might be in danger from Miles?
(a) Miles' told her so.
(b) Miles' previous behaviors.
(c) Miles' attitude and anger toward Otis.
(d) Miles' open threats against Otis.
2. In Chapter 25, why does the narrator say he continued to watch Miles and Jonah?
(a) It was a compulsion.
(b) It was to protect Sarah.
(c) It was because wanted to make sure Miles never figured out he was the driver.
(d) It was to protect them.
3. In Chapter 26, why does Jonah tell Miles he does not like the case file on Missy's accident?
(a) They make Miles sad.
(b) They make Miles forget about him.
(c) They have pictures of sad things.
(d) Because he misses his mother.
4. What decision does Charlie make about Miles' job?
(a) He fires him.
(b) He demotes Miles to a desk job.
(c) He decides to allow Miles to continue working.
(d) He places him on suspension.
5. In Chapter 31, to whose house does Charlie go on Sunday rather than to church?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miles do with Sims after Sims is finished telling his story?
2. Who pulls Sims Addison over after a night of drinking?
3. What does the narrator say he was waiting for in the weeks after Missy's death?
4. In Chapter 37, what does Charlie imply he knows about Brian and Miles?
5. What image does the narrator say haunted him in the weeks after Missy's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sarah react to the revelation that Brian killed Missy Ryan?
2. Who calls Charlie with information about Miles? What does Charlie do as a result of these phone calls?
3. Why does Miles not arrest Brian when he sees him at Missy's grave?
4. In Chapter 20, where does Charlie decide to go in order to try to help Miles out of the mess he has created for himself?
5. In Chapter 29, why does Brian suddenly feel it is important to tell Sarah to make Miles back off of Otis Timson? What does Brian reveal to the reader in this chapter?
6. Why does Miles not tell Charlie the truth about his car accident and why he had Brian Andrews handcuffed in the back of his car? Why does Charlie not question him further?
7. In Chapter 31, how does Miles react when Charlie comes to speak to him? What does Charlie want from Miles?
8. How does Charlie react when he learns that Miles arrested Otis Timson?
9. What does the unnamed narrator say he was doing the night of Missy's death?
10. Why does the unnamed narrator begin to spy on Jonah and Miles? What does he hope to see?
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)