|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What failed to happen after Sims Addison's arrest?
(a) No report was filed.
(b) He became ill.
(c) No copies of the report could be found.
(d) He disappeared.
2. Why does Miles tell Sarah he can no longer see her?
(a) He cannot face holiday dinners facing his wife's killer.
(b) He cannot believe she did not know all along.
(c) He cannot betray Missy that way.
(d) He cannot look at her and not think about Brian.
3. What does the narrator claim caused Missy to jump into the road in front of his car?
(a) A dog.
(b) She tripped.
(c) A wild hog.
(d) A insect.
4. In Chapter 29, what does Brian want to know if Sarah did when he first arrives at her apartment?
(a) If she called Charlie about Miles.
(b) If she told Charlie Otis was innocent.
(c) If she told Miles to back off of Otis.
(d) If she told anyone the truth about Missy's death.
5. What does Miles do with Sims after Sims is finished telling his story?
(a) He files a report about the incident.
(b) He beats him up.
(c) He promises to speak with the D.A.
(d) He lets him go.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Missy was wearing on the day he hit her?
2. In Chapter 31, what does Miles tell Sarah that Charlie took from him?
3. What does the narrator say he was waiting for in the weeks after Missy's death?
4. Where does Miles go after leaving the sheriff's office?
5. In Chapter 22, who meets Charlie at the gates of Hailey State Prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 27, whom does Sarah turn to for advice about Miles? What is Sarah most concerned about in regards to Miles?
2. Why does Miles not file a report on Sims Addison before his shift is over? How does Sims use this to his advantage?
3. In Chapter 27, why does Miles lash out at Sarah?
4. What threats against Miles does the district attorney and the Timson family attorney make to Charlie?
5. What detail of Brian's story finally gets through to Miles and makes him realize that it was only an accident?
6. Why does Sims Addison claim in Chapter 17 that he never wants to return to jail?
7. In Chapter 22, after visiting Earl Getlin, what conclusion does Charlie come to about Sims' statements?
8. Why does the unnamed narrator begin to spy on Jonah and Miles? What does he hope to see?
9. In Chapter 31, how does Miles react when Charlie comes to speak to him? What does Charlie want from Miles?
10. What story does Sims tell Miles that makes Miles rush out of the sheriff's office without first speaking to Charlie?
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)