|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 26, Miles decides he needs to see ___________after leaving the sheriff's office.
2. What does the narrator think caused Missy's death?
(a) She was impaled on a fence post.
(b) Her head hit a rock.
(c) She had internal injuries.
(d) Her neck was broken.
3. Charlie learns that Earl has made what claims against the prison system?
(a) They are holding him without benefit of trial.
(b) They have treated him unfairly.
(c) They are at fault for his injury.
(d) They have failed to treat his health problems.
4. What is the first thing Charlie notices as being wrong with Sims' story?
(a) He is not a good witness.
(b) He is a known liar.
(c) He did not come forward sooner.
(d) He is a drunk.
5. What one question does Sarah ask Brian before taking him to tell Miles the truth?
(a) Are you ready to die?
(b) Are you telling the truth?
(c) Was it an accident?
(d) Are you ready to go to jail?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miles do with Sims after Sims is finished telling his story?
2. In Chapter 31, to whose house does Charlie go on Sunday rather than to church?
3. In Chapter 19, why does Miles slam on the brakes in his car while returning to town?
4. In Chapter 22, who meets Charlie at the gates of Hailey State Prison?
5. What does Miles pull out of hiding and begin to study?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 20, where does Charlie decide to go in order to try to help Miles out of the mess he has created for himself?
2. In Chapter 27, whom does Sarah turn to for advice about Miles? What is Sarah most concerned about in regards to Miles?
3. What does Charlie imply he knows about Brian Andrews? How does Miles respond?
4. Why does Miles not file a report on Sims Addison before his shift is over? How does Sims use this to his advantage?
5. What does the unnamed narrator say he was doing the night of Missy's death?
6. Why does Miles tell Sarah he took the gun out of the gardening shed? Why does Miles say he can no longer see Sarah?
7. Despite a reluctance to return to jail, what is Sims Addison doing in Chapter 17 when Miles pulls him over?
8. Why does Miles not tell Charlie the truth about his car accident and why he had Brian Andrews handcuffed in the back of his car? Why does Charlie not question him further?
9. In Chapter 16, what does the unnamed narrator say he did when he saw Missy up ahead of him on the road?
10. How does Miles react when Sarah and Brian tell him the truth about the accident that killed Missy?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)