|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 18, why does the narrator say he failed to contact the police the day after Missy's death?
(a) He did not remember committing the crime.
(b) He did not feel responsible.
(c) He was afraid of Miles.
(d) He was afraid of being arrested.
2. What is the name of the road where Missy was hit?
(a) Madam Moore's Lane.
(b) Main Street.
(c) Lee Avenue.
(d) Camellia Road.
3. What does Sarah say about Sims' and Earl's testimony concerning Otis' supposed confession?
(a) They heard it wrong.
(b) Otis was joking, and they knew it.
(c) Someone else must have said it.
(d) They did not hear such a thing.
4. Where does Miles go after leaving the sheriff's office?
(a) Jonah's school.
(b) Timson compound.
(c) Brian's apartment.
(d) Sarah's apartment.
5. What does Jonah tell Miles he dreamed about?
(a) Miles had been in an accident.
(b) Sarah had a car accident.
(c) His mother came back to see him.
(d) He fell from a tall building.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say he was waiting for in the weeks after Missy's death?
2. What was Sims' drink of choice?
3. In Chapter 20, who confronts Miles the moment he returns to the sheriff's office?
4. Miles questions Brian's sudden need to tell the truth because _______________.
5. Why did the narrator cover Missy with a blanket?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miles not tell Charlie the truth about his car accident and why he had Brian Andrews handcuffed in the back of his car? Why does Charlie not question him further?
2. How does Miles react when Sarah and Brian tell him the truth about the accident that killed Missy?
3. How does Charlie react when he learns that Miles arrested Otis Timson?
4. How does Sarah react to the revelation that Brian killed Missy Ryan?
5. In Chapter 27, whom does Sarah turn to for advice about Miles? What is Sarah most concerned about in regards to Miles?
6. Why does Sims Addison claim in Chapter 17 that he never wants to return to jail?
7. What threats against Miles does the district attorney and the Timson family attorney make to Charlie?
8. In Chapter 28, why does the unnamed narrator say he finally felt as though he could stop watching the Ryan home? Why is this?
9. In Chapter 31, how does Miles react when Charlie comes to speak to him? What does Charlie want from Miles?
10. In Chapter 20, where does Miles go after Charlie sends him home? What does he notice there?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)