|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Earl Getlin?
(a) A fellow deputy.
(b) A relative of Otis Timson.
(c) A former cellmate of Sims Addison.
(d) A known criminal currently in prison for grand theft auto.
2. In Chapter 18, why does the narrator say he failed to contact the police the day after Missy's death?
(a) He did not remember committing the crime.
(b) He was afraid of being arrested.
(c) He was afraid of Miles.
(d) He did not feel responsible.
3. In Chapter 19, who confronts Miles when he reaches his destination?
(d) Clyde Timson.
4. In Chapter 22, Charlie learns that Earl claims __________set him up for his current conviction.
(a) Miles Ryan.
(c) Otis Timson.
(d) Clyde Timson.
5. What image does the narrator say haunted him in the weeks after Missy's death?
(a) The sight of the dog.
(b) The sight of his car.
(c) The sight of her twisted limbs.
(d) The sight of her face.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 26, what happens to Jonah in the middle of the night?
2. Whom does Miles accuse of screwing up the investigation into Missy's death?
3. In Chapter 34, who takes Brian to the hospital?
4. At what other places does the narrator admit to watching Miles and Jonah other than their home?
5. In Chapter 29, what does Brian want to know if Sarah did when he first arrives at her apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sarah react to the revelation that Brian killed Missy Ryan?
2. In Chapter 20, where does Charlie decide to go in order to try to help Miles out of the mess he has created for himself?
3. What detail of Brian's story finally gets through to Miles and makes him realize that it was only an accident?
4. In Chapter 24, what is Miles doing when Jonah comes home from school? What does he tell Sarah when she later comes to the house?
5. How does Miles react when Sarah and Brian tell him the truth about the accident that killed Missy?
6. In Chapter 16, what does the unnamed narrator say he did when he saw Missy up ahead of him on the road?
7. What threats against Miles does the district attorney and the Timson family attorney make to Charlie?
8. In Chapter 26, when does Miles finally notice that Sarah has gone? Why does he notice?
9. In Chapter 22, after visiting Earl Getlin, what conclusion does Charlie come to about Sims' statements?
10. Who calls Charlie with information about Miles? What does Charlie do as a result of these phone calls?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)