|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 24, where does Jonah spend the evening after Otis' arrest?
(a) In front of the television.
(b) With Mrs. Knowlson.
(c) With Sarah.
(d) At the movies with Mark.
2. Why does Miles tell Sarah he can no longer see her?
(a) He cannot face holiday dinners facing his wife's killer.
(b) He cannot believe she did not know all along.
(c) He cannot betray Missy that way.
(d) He cannot look at her and not think about Brian.
3. In Chapter 34, who takes Brian to the hospital?
4. Does Earl corroborate Sims Addison's story about Otis Timson confessing to killing Missy Ryan?
(a) He refuses to speak.
5. In Chapter 21, what does the narrator talk about hearing two weeks after Missy's funeral?
(a) A bird.
(b) A wild hog.
(c) A rumor about the hit and run.
(d) A dog barking.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 26, what happens to Jonah in the middle of the night?
2. In Chapter 32, what is the first thing about Brian's story that makes Miles realize what Brian is telling him?
3. In Chapter 31, what one reason does Sarah remind Miles of to keep him from killing Otis?
4. In Chapter 18, how much damage did the narrator find to the front of his car after the accident?
5. What does the narrator say Missy was wearing on the day he hit her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlie react when he learns that Miles arrested Otis Timson?
2. Why does Miles tell Sarah he took the gun out of the gardening shed? Why does Miles say he can no longer see Sarah?
3. In Chapter 28, why does the unnamed narrator say he finally felt as though he could stop watching the Ryan home? Why is this?
4. How does Miles react when Sarah and Brian tell him the truth about the accident that killed Missy?
5. In Chapter 27, whom does Sarah turn to for advice about Miles? What is Sarah most concerned about in regards to Miles?
6. Who calls Charlie with information about Miles? What does Charlie do as a result of these phone calls?
7. Why does Miles not arrest Brian when he sees him at Missy's grave?
8. Why does Miles not file a report on Sims Addison before his shift is over? How does Sims use this to his advantage?
9. What does Miles do during the arrest of Otis Timson that could come back to haunt him later?
10. Why does Sims Addison claim in Chapter 17 that he never wants to return to jail?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)