|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 35, who was babysitting Jonah throughout Miles' whole ordeal with Brian?
(d) Mrs. Knowlson.
2. In Chapter 18, how much damage did the narrator find to the front of his car after the accident?
(a) A broken grill.
(b) A dent in the hood.
(d) A broken headlight.
3. In Chapter 17, what does the author say many people do in Sims' presence without thinking about it because of his appearance?
(a) Keep distance between them.
(b) Say private things.
(c) Forget to include him.
(d) Offer him drinks.
4. What does the narrator see Miles fail to do with Jonah while he is watching them after Missy's death?
(a) Speak to him.
(b) Comfort him.
(c) Make him go to bed.
(d) Care for his hygiene.
5. Who repeatedly calls to speak to Charlie after Otis Timson is arrested?
(b) The D.A.
(c) Otis' grandmother.
(d) Clyde Timson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say he was waiting for in the weeks after Missy's death?
2. What decision does Charlie make about Miles' job?
3. In Chapter 26, what happens to Jonah in the middle of the night?
4. In Chapter 33, what part of Brian's story does Miles focus on the most?
5. In Chapter 19, why does Miles slam on the brakes in his car while returning to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miles not arrest Brian when he sees him at Missy's grave?
2. Why does Miles tell Sarah he took the gun out of the gardening shed? Why does Miles say he can no longer see Sarah?
3. What does Charlie imply he knows about Brian Andrews? How does Miles respond?
4. How does Charlie react when he learns that Miles arrested Otis Timson?
5. In Chapter 27, why does Miles lash out at Sarah?
6. In Chapter 26, what does Charlie do when Miles reports for work first thing in the morning?
7. In Chapter 16, what does the unnamed narrator say he did when he saw Missy up ahead of him on the road?
8. Why does Miles not tell Charlie the truth about his car accident and why he had Brian Andrews handcuffed in the back of his car? Why does Charlie not question him further?
9. Who calls Charlie with information about Miles? What does Charlie do as a result of these phone calls?
10. In Chapter 22, after visiting Earl Getlin, what conclusion does Charlie come to about Sims' statements?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)