|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what assumptions did Sarah make about Miles that she found to be incorrect at their first meeting?
(a) That he would be older and overweight.
(b) That he would be more of a redneck.
(c) That he would be weepy and still grieving his wife.
(d) That he would be rude and unconcerned about Jonah's schoolwork.
2. What does Sarah give to Jonah to make up for the lack of children to play with at Thanksgiving dinner?
(a) Pokemon cards.
(b) A video game.
(c) A coloring book.
(d) Matchbox cars.
3. In Chapter 13, what does Sarah say she once enjoyed doing at the bistros in the big city?
(a) Eating fattening desserts.
(b) Watching the world go by.
(c) Meeting with friends.
(d) Sipping her tea and reading her paper.
4. In what type of school did Sarah teach before coming to New Bern?
(a) Charter schools.
(b) Private schools.
(c) Inner-city schools.
(d) She did not, she was a private tutor.
5. In Chapter 9, what does Miles watch after Jonah has gone to bed?
(a) Home videos of his mother.
(b) Home videos of himself as a child.
(c) Home videos of drunk driving suspects.
(d) Home videos of Missy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Caleb Bradham?
2. In Chapter 1, what is Miles doing as he sits on his back porch?
3. What reason does Miss Harkins give for Harris Presser's arrest and execution?
4. What river can Miles see from his back porch?
5. In Chapter 1, what does Miles realize he is tired of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sarah react to the news that her ex-husband is planning to remarry? Why does she react this way?
2. Why does Miles insist that he is not a smoker? Who calls him a smoker?
3. What did Miles do the day Missy died rather than stay home and care for the lawn as she asked? What were the last words he said to her that day?
4. How does Miles react when Charlie tells him that Otis Timson would be released from jail that day? For what reason?
5. Why does Sarah tell Miles in Chapter 3 that she does not usually tutor students herself but will make an exception in this case?
6. In Chapter 9, Jonah is convinced Miles and Miss Andrews are going to get married because they are going on a date. How does Miles handle this situation?
7. Why does Jonah object in Chapter 5 to having to stay after school with Miss Andrews several times a week? How does Miles talk him into cooperating?
8. How do Sarah's parents react to meeting Miles and Jonah for the first time? What is Brian's reaction to Miles and Jonah?
9. In Chapter 2, for what reason does Sarah think that Jonah has become so far behind in his class work? What does she think of that?
10. What makes Miles suddenly realize he might like to ask Sarah to marry him one day?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)