|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was Jonah born?
2. What did Miles do the night Missy died instead of blowing the cut grass off the sidewalk as she had asked?
(a) Put the fish away.
(b) Went out with his friends.
(c) Made himself a snack.
(d) Took a shower.
3. How old was Missy Ryan when she was killed?
4. What is Tryon Palace?
(a) Residence of the Confederate president.
(b) The governor's mansion.
(c) The mayor's house.
(d) Residence of the colonial governor.
5. In Chapter 15, how does Maureen introduce Miles to all of Sarah's relatives during Thanksgiving dinner?
(a) As her friend.
(b) As her student's father.
(c) As her cousin.
(d) As her boyfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys initially tell Miles they were hunting in the abandoned house?
2. From where does Miles hear gunfire?
3. In Chapter 3, what assumptions did Sarah make about Miles that she found to be incorrect at their first meeting?
4. In Chapter 1, what does Miles realize he is tired of?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Jonah think is causing Miles' silence in the car ride home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miles think he is not the type of man who can be alone? What is it Miles misses most about being married?
2. In Chapter 9, Jonah is convinced Miles and Miss Andrews are going to get married because they are going on a date. How does Miles handle this situation?
3. In Chapter 7, why does Miles suddenly feel pressured to ask Sarah out? Why does he not do it?
4. What makes Miles suddenly realize he might like to ask Sarah to marry him one day?
5. Why does Sarah show up at Jonah's soccer game one Saturday at the end of Chapter 7? How does Miles react?
6. In Chapter 13, what story does Miss Harkins tell Sarah and Miles?
7. What did Miles do the day Missy died rather than stay home and care for the lawn as she asked? What were the last words he said to her that day?
8. What does Miles tell Sarah about his family during their first date? How does Sarah react to the information?
9. What does the unnamed narrator in Chapter 4 tell the reader kept Miles from looking for Missy on the day of her death when she was late coming home? Who told Miles about Missy's accident?
10. Whom does Sarah run into as she waits for Miles to get their drinks at the Tavern? What is her initial impression of him?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)