|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Miles bring to Sarah on their first date?
(a) An expensive bottle of wine.
(b) A box of candy.
(c) A dozen red roses.
(d) Six yellow roses.
2. What is the question the unnamed narrator asks as he begins the prologue?
(a) Where does a story begin?
(b) Does a story begin with tragedy?
(c) What is the definition of beginning?
(d) How do you begin a story?
3. In Chapter 1, what reason does Jonah give Miles for not telling him about the trouble he was having in class?
(a) He did tell Miles, Miles simply was not paying attention.
(b) He does not want Miles to be mad at him.
(c) He was embarrassed.
(d) He thought Miles was too busy to help him.
4. Who gave the eulogy at Missy Ryan's funeral?
(c) Her father.
(d) Her brother.
5. In Chapter 11, how many times does Sarah's mother call her before her first date with Miles?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Miss Harkins give for Harris Presser's arrest and execution?
2. What does the unnamed narrator say was the center of Missy and Miles' life?
3. What river can Miles see from his back porch?
4. What drink does Sarah tell Miles she has first thing in the morning?
5. What aspect of Missy's case bothers Miles the most, according to Brenda in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Miles suddenly realize he might like to ask Sarah to marry him one day?
2. How does Sarah react to the news that her ex-husband is planning to remarry? Why does she react this way?
3. Why does Brenda insist on talking with Sarah about Miles? What does Brenda tell Sarah about Miles?
4. Why does Jonah object in Chapter 5 to having to stay after school with Miss Andrews several times a week? How does Miles talk him into cooperating?
5. What are the two boys hunting in an abandoned house when Miles catches them in chapter 7? What does he do?
6. How does Miles react when Charlie tells him that Otis Timson would be released from jail that day? For what reason?
7. What does Miles tell Sarah about his family during their first date? How does Sarah react to the information?
8. Why does Miles think he is not the type of man who can be alone? What is it Miles misses most about being married?
9. In Chapter 13, Miles asks Sarah about living in the big city. What does Sarah tell him? How does he react?
10. Why does Sarah tell Miles in Chapter 3 that she does not usually tutor students herself but will make an exception in this case?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)