|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 14, how did Miles and Sarah spend Halloween?
(a) A a school party.
(b) On vacation in Nag's Head.
(c) At a church carnival.
(d) At the beach and then trick-or-treating with Jonah.
2. What treat does Sarah provide in Chapter 7 during her first tutoring session with Jonah?
(a) Cup cakes.
(b) Ice cream.
3. What does Miles refer to as D-Day?
(a) Donuts for breakfast day.
(b) Dog to the vet day.
(c) Date day.
(d) The anniversary of the day he became a deputy.
4. What is causing the unnamed narrator to have trouble sleeping in the prologue?
(a) His wife's snoring.
(b) Thoughts of deceased family members.
(c) Thoughts of fate.
(d) A bad back.
5. On what type of tour do Sarah and Miles go on?
(a) A tour of holiday decorated houses.
(b) A tour of haunted houses.
(c) A tour of expensive houses.
(d) A tour of historic homes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Jonah born?
2. How does the unnamed narrator say that Missy and Miles met?
3. In Chapter 1, what is Miles doing as he sits on his back porch?
4. What river can Miles see from his back porch?
5. In Chapter 15, how does Maureen introduce Miles to all of Sarah's relatives during Thanksgiving dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Miles tell Sarah about Missy? How does Sarah respond?
2. Why has Sarah Andrews moved to New Bern? Why did she choose an apartment in downtown New Bern despite the difficult parking situation?
3. What makes Miles suddenly realize he might like to ask Sarah to marry him one day?
4. Why does Miles insist that he is not a smoker? Who calls him a smoker?
5. How does Sarah react to the news that her ex-husband is planning to remarry? Why does she react this way?
6. How did Miles come to have a case file on the death of his wife? What does he do with it?
7. What did Miles do the day Missy died rather than stay home and care for the lawn as she asked? What were the last words he said to her that day?
8. Why does Brenda insist on talking with Sarah about Miles? What does Brenda tell Sarah about Miles?
9. How does Miles react when Charlie tells him that Otis Timson would be released from jail that day? For what reason?
10. In Chapter 13, what story does Miss Harkins tell Sarah and Miles?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)