|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sarah give to Jonah to make up for the lack of children to play with at Thanksgiving dinner?
(a) A video game.
(b) A coloring book.
(c) Matchbox cars.
(d) Pokemon cards.
2. How old is Sarah as the novel begins?
3. In Chapter 6, what was the first thing that went wrong in Sarah's day?
(a) Several of her students had colds and coughed on her.
(b) The water heater went out, forcing her to take a cold shower.
(c) She learned her ex-husband is re-marrying.
(d) Her car had a flat tire.
4. What pose do the two boys inside the abandoned house take as they make there way out to Miles?
(a) Hands behind their backs.
(b) Hands on their heads.
(c) Hands up, elbows locked.
(d) Hands in their pockets, guns in the crook of their elbows.
5. Who escorted Missy Ryan's funeral hearse to the cemetery?
(a) Miles only.
(b) The fire department.
(c) Military vehicles.
(d) Every sheriff and police officer in the county.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what is the unnamed narrator looking at on his desk as he writes this section of his story?
2. How old was Jonah the day of his mother's funeral?
3. Who gave the eulogy at Missy Ryan's funeral?
4. In Chapter 3, what assumptions did Sarah make about Miles that she found to be incorrect at their first meeting?
5. Why does Sarah tell her mother Miles agreed to work Thanksgiving Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miles deal with Jonah's many nightmares?
2. In Chapter 9, Jonah is convinced Miles and Miss Andrews are going to get married because they are going on a date. How does Miles handle this situation?
3. Why does Sarah tell Miles in Chapter 3 that she does not usually tutor students herself but will make an exception in this case?
4. Why does Jonah object in Chapter 5 to having to stay after school with Miss Andrews several times a week? How does Miles talk him into cooperating?
5. How does Sarah react to the news that her ex-husband is planning to remarry? Why does she react this way?
6. Whom does Sarah run into as she waits for Miles to get their drinks at the Tavern? What is her initial impression of him?
7. How did Miles come to have a case file on the death of his wife? What does he do with it?
8. In Chapter 13, Miles asks Sarah about living in the big city. What does Sarah tell him? How does he react?
9. Why has Sarah Andrews moved to New Bern? Why did she choose an apartment in downtown New Bern despite the difficult parking situation?
10. What makes Miles suddenly realize he might like to ask Sarah to marry him one day?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)