|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sport does Jonah Ryan play?
2. What garment does Sarah's mother forbid her from wearing on her first date with Miles?
(a) Her black lace shawl.
(b) Her long, thick green jacket.
(c) Her brother's high school letter jacket.
(d) Michael's college sweater.
3. What pose do the two boys inside the abandoned house take as they make there way out to Miles?
(a) Hands up, elbows locked.
(b) Hands behind their backs.
(c) Hands in their pockets, guns in the crook of their elbows.
(d) Hands on their heads.
4. What name does Sarah give to Otis Timson as her own?
5. With whom does Sarah go shopping in Chapter 6?
(a) Her friend, Brenda.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Caleb Bradham?
2. Where did Sarah live before moving to New Bern?
3. In Chapter 5, what does Jonah think is causing Miles' silence in the car ride home?
4. In Chapter 6, what was the first thing that went wrong in Sarah's day?
5. In Chapter 1, what is Miles doing as he sits on his back porch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two boys hunting in an abandoned house when Miles catches them in chapter 7? What does he do?
2. Whom does Sarah run into as she waits for Miles to get their drinks at the Tavern? What is her initial impression of him?
3. Why does Sarah tell Miles in Chapter 3 that she does not usually tutor students herself but will make an exception in this case?
4. Who does the unnamed narrator say this story is about? Why does he preface this by telling the reader all about Missy Ryan?
5. How do Sarah's parents react to meeting Miles and Jonah for the first time? What is Brian's reaction to Miles and Jonah?
6. In Chapter 2, for what reason does Sarah think that Jonah has become so far behind in his class work? What does she think of that?
7. How does Sarah react to the news that her ex-husband is planning to remarry? Why does she react this way?
8. What does Miles tell Sarah about his family during their first date? How does Sarah react to the information?
9. Why does Miles think he is not the type of man who can be alone? What is it Miles misses most about being married?
10. In Chapter 13, how does Miles react when Sarah tells him she cannot have children?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)